Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

greatn posted:

Don't you have to do it like, six or seven? And by the fifth time you're skipping most of it.

Pretty sure it was more like 350 times. I might be misremembering, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Earnestly posted:

Okay, so I just finished the first dungeon in Phantom Hourglass. My initial impression of the game is favorable.

I like the control scheme, or rather I've figured out the best perspective to take and it hasn't troubled me since. The movement is in itself a challenge. I understand why many people might dislike it, but I would disagree with a claim that it doesn't work. I like how Link pulls out his shield only when he walks; I like how the tap to stab makes combat feel quick; I like drawing on the map. I have not figured out a way to reliably slash the sword or roll, but I feel comfortable disregarding those actions because they seem unnecessary for puzzles. There's been some mic input for blowing out candles, which I think is neat. However, I have heard that there is some musical instrument that also involves the mic, and the sounds like a sure-fire nightmare.

The dungeon design so far seems good. Windwaker style streamlined dungeons that minimize backtracking make the experience really flow. I also like the new element of having to carry the boss key back to the boss door despite it not really seeming like good design.

However, I haven't found the cut scenes anywhere naar charming or interesting. Hopefully the game is holding off on better characters than this Linebeck joker for when it really opens up.

Edit: Also, the game immediately got rid of the best character. Why does the Zelda series hate Terra?

thankfully the mic instrument is in the other ds zelda game, so you don't have to worry about that. hope you like the temple of the ocean king, though, since you'll be seeing it a lot. Unfortunately neither of the ds games have great stlries/characters, although Spirit Tracks has the best version of the princess ever

codenameFANGIO posted:

I went right into Ocarina from Link Between Worlds and I am finding that they have almost nothing in common.

sure they do. both are great zelda games and both are on 3DS. they're structured a little differently, but i love them botg for different reasons

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tetra for Sm4.5sh and I have a new main

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Phimosissy posted:

Tetra for Sm4.5sh and I have a new main

Fun fact: filenames in Brawl suggested a Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik was planned at some point, but didn't happen. All the other cut characters implied by filenames have suspiciously high-quality trophies that were probably being worked on for that (Plusle and Minun, Dixie Kong), including Toon Zelda, but obviously there's no Toon Sheik.

But there is a pretty high-quality Tetra trophy.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

As bad as the ToTOK is, I do appreciate that they thought about it enough to make it possible to get all the way to the bottom with a full 25 minutes left on the clock.

It's a nice little challenge and I like that they designed the place to be so heavily shortcutable if you have the right gear and know what you are doing.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I kinda liked Temple of the Ocean King honestly.... other than that one bit where you had to sleep the system to solve a puzzle.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I want to head towards the sea, so south east? I wonder what they're going to do for the world boundaries where the map seemingly "ends" but there's land. How do other open-world games like Fallout and Skyrim handle it? Invisible walls or massive cliffs? I'm also curious if we'll get DLC and see the world be expanded.

Skyrim tries to use mountains in most of the spots you can get to the edge of the map, but there's ways around that (Bethesda physics) and even if there weren't they'd need the invisible walls for the roads to Cyrodiil and Morrowind and the northern sea.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

If I had to make a random guess, going past the map boundaries in BotW will cause your iPad Sheikah Slate to lose its 4G LTE connection and you lose your inventory/equipped items and you're left in your underwear to quickly die from the elements.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/Lord_Arse/status/816663060224024576

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One thing I'm going to miss from Skyward Sword is how easy it is to kill Keese. Just hold the controller vertically and swing it around and they are all dead. As opposed to trying to get a lock with the slingshot before they dive bomb me or trying to get a lucky sword strike in every other game.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

OoT did seem more daunting when I was a kid. I was terrified of Gohma and had trouble bringing myself to do the adult temples.

10 year old me wigged out super hard when I realized she was giving birth all over me the first time I fought her.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I've been playing TP HD, partly to revisit those cool dungeons, but mostly for the extra wolf hearts when I come to play BotW. I've now done the Palace of Twilight and only have the final stretch to go; I have 18 heart containers, so thought now would be a good time to do the Cave of Shadows.

I did a bit of reading to check how it all works, and apparently the game only saves your progress on the final floor if you have more hearts than when you saved at the end of the first or second stage, which seems a bit weird. So if you complete stage 1 with full hearts there's no way of recording that you've done all 40 floors, even if you complete the whole thing with full hearts, as you have not improved upon your first saved score, even though you have completed the whole cave rather than the first 6/20 floors. Seems dumb but Nintendo are sometimes weird like that so I'm not that surprised.

The key question then seems to be: is it known yet if the extra wolf hearts in BotW only come into play if you have done ALL of the floors in the Cave of Shadows, or does any save, such as full hearts on completing the first 6 floors, count? In other words, to use the extra hearts in BotW, do I need to be careful about how I approach the Cave of Shadows, and make sure I complete the first second stages with fewer hearts than I think I can eventually complete the whole thing with?

I don't have any Amiibos other than the wolf one, by the way, and don't intend to get the Zelda/Sheik ones just to help with this if I can help it, though it sounds like that may make things a whole lot more difficult, depending on how correct my understanding of the way the cave works is.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Cojawfee posted:

One thing I'm going to miss from Skyward Sword is how easy it is to kill Keese. Just hold the controller vertically and swing it around and they are all dead. As opposed to trying to get a lock with the slingshot before they dive bomb me or trying to get a lucky sword strike in every other game.

Oh shotgun slingshot them?

Cause it has a shotgun slingshot.

Bring back Skyward Swords upgrade system.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh shotgun slingshot them?

Cause it has a shotgun slingshot.

I haven't had to use it yet so far because it's just so easy to hold the sword up and swing it around as they swarm me. In other games, it would let you Z Target them until it's nearly too late. By the time the slingshot comes out, there's a split second before it's too late and they hit.

Another thing that needs to stay is bombs and bomb flowers being the same thing, and being able to replenish the bomb bag with bomb flowers. There's just so much good stuff in Skyward Sword that it can't be the worst.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bombadilillo posted:

:agreed:

Make Hyrule Great Again

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Scared Skyward Sword will get the Dark Souls 2 treatment where all the amazing ideas will be abandoned because of all the complaining about unrelated things. Then again the Zelda cycle is an explicit thing known to Nintendo so people should start liking Skyward Sword in March.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

I like all the Zeldas. Even the CDi games are funny to force other people to play.

Oh, except Ages because gently caress that thwomp boss.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 5, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bombadilillo posted:

Scared Skyward Sword will get the Dark Souls 2 treatment where all the amazing ideas will be abandoned because of all the complaining about unrelated things. Then again the Zelda cycle is an explicit thing known to Nintendo so people should start liking Skyward Sword in March.

I hated most of the new ideas in Skyward Sword, so I kinda hope they do get abandoned. Skyward Sword is probably my least favorite Zelda, and the only one I've never felt a strong urge to replay.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder how the Wii era will age into the retro/archival stage. Requires a bit more special handling than all the basic controller consoles if you wanna play SS or Wii Sports or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electromax posted:

I wonder how the Wii era will age into the retro/archival stage. Requires a bit more special handling than all the basic controller consoles if you wanna play SS or Wii Sports or whatever.

A lot of modern games are going to have a ton of problems between patches, online connectivity, specialized controllers, and so-on. It's going to be interesting to see how well they're recorded.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Electromax posted:

You can emulate it well (better then the original) already, and theres $15 senor bar that usb to pc that the wiimotes connect to. So its ridiculously easy to do it yourself, you can properly rip your games if you mod a wii so you don't have to :filez: at all.

If you mean official support, the WiiU had built in support for it that will never be seen again, so unless the game could be controlled with a classic controller I don't think it will ever be on virtual console. Unless the do some serious revamping of the controls, joycon in each hand simulating nunchuck and wiimote? Some games had super varies controls that worked with every style controller.

So Smash, maybe
Mario Kart, Maybe
Skyward Sword, maybe not.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bombadilillo posted:

Well the other part of the Dark Souls 2 treatment is that some of the 'pretty good' ideas it has do return even if the REALLY good stuff might not (mostly usability stuff) but people give its successor credit for it instead. And it getting conspicuously overlooked in stuff that's supposed to be celebrating the series. So stuff Skyward Sword did right might come back, but good luck seeing it get credit for them.

...I'm still a little bit mad at Dark Souls 3 guys.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

You can emulate it well (better then the original) already, and theres $15 senor bar that usb to pc that the wiimotes connect to. So its ridiculously easy to do it yourself, you can properly rip your games if you mod a wii so you don't have to :filez: at all.

If you mean official support, the WiiU had built in support for it that will never be seen again, so unless the game could be controlled with a classic controller I don't think it will ever be on virtual console. Unless the do some serious revamping of the controls, joycon in each hand simulating nunchuck and wiimote? Some games had super varies controls that worked with every style controller.

So Smash, maybe
Mario Kart, Maybe
Skyward Sword, maybe not.

The right joycon has an IR sensor and I would assume they both have IMUs so it's not like it isn't possible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

The right joycon has an IR sensor and I would assume they both have IMUs so it's not like it isn't possible.

Does the switch peak out of the dock so it can be a sensor bar?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Does the switch peak out of the dock so it can be a sensor bar?

I don't know for sure how it works, but right joycon becomes a wiimote to replace touchscreen functionality.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know for sure how it works, but right joycon becomes a wiimote to replace touchscreen functionality.

That's pretty cool, Skyward Sword remastered in 4 years.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
the only issue is that the IR is located at the bottom of the right joycon, so you presumably need to hold it upside down. i don't know how that would let you access any buttons easily... maybe they'll sell a special joycon R along with the remake.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

It's also possible they'll just keep making wii remotes. They do work pretty well in pretty much every party game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
they don't work well in Smash

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A Link Between Worlds had a similar upgrade system to Skyward Sword, it just wasn't based on collectibles. But Breath of the Wild has collectibles. It's also got crafting. So, I think we've got nothing to worry about.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The upgrade system isn't even all that bad in Skyward Sword. Unless it gets really bad later on, I've only done one resource run. I just beat the ancient cistern and upgraded everything I have to the best they can be. I needed some tumbleweeds because they are a real bitch to catch, and some ancient flowers. Though I do usually stop to pick up whatever I can find and I smash every pot after doing that in every other Zelda game. My only complaint so far is that it's tricky to gauge when to swing the net. So unless something gets really annoying in the next few dungeons, I don't have anything against it. I would much rather be able to treasure hunt my way into bigger bomb bags and whatever than have to play some dipshit shooting gallery minigame with terrible controls.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

A Link Between Worlds had a similar upgrade system to Skyward Sword, it just wasn't based on collectibles. But Breath of the Wild has collectibles. It's also got crafting. So, I think we've got nothing to worry about.

Collectables were really just a way to gate high level items.

Albw gave them out slowly and you had to buy them which was also gating but gating that let you overcome it with effort. Probably better.

I really really like upgradeable items. Why use the slingshot when you get the bow? Cause its a drat shotgun.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Triskelli posted:

If I had to make a random guess, going past the map boundaries in BotW will cause your iPad Sheikah Slate to lose its 4G LTE connection and you lose your inventory/equipped items and you're left in your underwear to quickly die from the elements.
You fall off the edge.

Forever

A
A
A
a
a
a
:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

The upgrade system isn't even all that bad in Skyward Sword. Unless it gets really bad later on, I've only done one resource run. I just beat the ancient cistern and upgraded everything I have to the best they can be. I needed some tumbleweeds because they are a real bitch to catch, and some ancient flowers. Though I do usually stop to pick up whatever I can find and I smash every pot after doing that in every other Zelda game. My only complaint so far is that it's tricky to gauge when to swing the net. So unless something gets really annoying in the next few dungeons, I don't have anything against it. I would much rather be able to treasure hunt my way into bigger bomb bags and whatever than have to play some dipshit shooting gallery minigame with terrible controls.

Goons get angry because they're too slow to catch tumbleweeds to upgrade their bow.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

Goons get angry because they're too slow to catch tumbleweeds to upgrade their bow.

To be fair I gathered shinnies the whole game and this was the ONLY part I remember having to go back and 'farm' but I think It was because I didn't realize I should collect them when I went through initially.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's a particular Hill in the desert area that if you turn around a tumbleweed will spawn off camera behind you. Don't remember where but it made farming them easy, I only had to do it once I think.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

Hint: you don't need to swing your net. You just need the tumbleweed to roll into it. And they only appear from behind so when you are at a spot where they spawn a lot, like that desert area, you can just run back and forth and spin around.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I really liked Skyward Sword's upgrade system and felt it was worth the effort. What I didn't like was the shield system, not because I didn't value the stat tradeoffs, but because there's only one location in the entire game to replace one if you break it. If there were multiple repair outposts, then it would have seemed like less of a slog to me.

I carried shield repair juice with me, but forgot to use it. Smh.

Regardless, I'm excited that the upcoming game seems like it iterates/improves upon the weapon mechanics of SS and ALBW. I'm happy Nintendo experimented with this stuff the past few years.

Also really excited about improved horse riding. Someone pointed out the Switch reveal commercial shows Link whistling to call the horse. It seems to auto-scoop him up and rotate the camera for the player, so you can ride off more smoothly. That's the kind of streamlined operational transition that Epona has always lacked.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I went without the shield for the longest time because I didn't know how to shield parry since I, uh, decided not to do all of tutorial man's tutorials. Luckily I managed to figure it out before I got the regenerating shield because that thing shatters really fast.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The only part of Skyward Swords' shield duration mechanics I remember was how crazy-broken the indestructible Hylian Shield is, because the rest of the game's built around the notion that blocking is something you can only do sparingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What I got was that you were supposed to be parrying at all times and doing a regular block at all was a fuckup.