Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Namaer posted:

I laughed my rear end off at the "flight recorder" footage Kirk watches, it's literally just the clip from the previous movie.

Every Federation ship has remote cameras around it at cinematic angles at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

WampaLord posted:

Every Federation ship has remote cameras around it at cinematic angles at all times.

After the Johnathan Archer holoprograms became so popular, they mandated that all ships must be recording everything at all times so that the people of the Federation have as many holoprograms as possible.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend

Zurui posted:

Outside of Galaxy Quest, are there any humorous takes on Trek/sci-fi that aren't painfully unfunny?

Night Crew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ApQrbhQp8

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I always wondered where "Scrape them off Jim!" came from.

Namaer posted:

Two thoughts so far on the search for Spock:

I laughed my rear end off at the "flight recorder" footage Kirk watches, it's literally just the clip from the previous movie.

Also I liked that the Kirk/Sarek mind meld scene was treated like a sex scene, with a fireplace and extreme closeups.

That's like Encounter at Farpoint after Riker comes aboard Picard has him watch the first part of the episode to get up to speed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Namaer posted:

Also I liked that the Kirk/Sarek mind meld scene was treated like a sex scene, with a fireplace and extreme closeups.

That's kind of Nimoy's style: Two-shots and closeups. Dude doesn't know much else. He also had no idea whatsoever how to handle Shatner on the set.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Timby posted:

He also had no idea whatsoever how to handle Shatner on the set.

I mean...to be fair, who does?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Leonard Nimoy: Melllvar, you have to respect your actors. When I directed Star Trek IV, I got a magnificent performance out of Bill because I respected him so much.

William Shatner: And when I directed Star Trek V, I got a magnificent performance out of me, because I respected me so much!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

You can't post that and not this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBeBGdVJqZQ

"It's a standard rectal exam not an execution"
"Aye it is Bones, a butt execution!"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zurui posted:

Outside of Galaxy Quest, are there any humorous takes on Trek/sci-fi that aren't painfully unfunny?

This is pretty good.

quote:

Star Trek wasn’t just a show; it was a whole philosophy. People don’t love Star Trek just because it’s got wacky aliens. They love it because the wacky aliens bonk each other with goofed-up widgets while a bunch of dunces in matching pajamas yammer on and on as their doors whoosh back and forth, all to make some Dr. Seuss-type point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Apollodorus posted:

Leonard Nimoy: Melllvar, you have to respect your actors. When I directed Star Trek IV, I got a magnificent performance out of Bill because I respected him so much.

William Shatner: And when I directed Star Trek V, I got a magnificent performance out of me, because I respected me so much!

I was looking for this on Youtube.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

George Takei: I miss my old, concise nipple.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MorgaineDax posted:

I have a soft spot for Free Enterprise.

I remember it being pretty decent, but I haven't seen it in 10+ years. The scene I always remember is him freaking out at the kid buying Episode 1 toys.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Pretty good, can I look forward to the TNG version?

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

What's the deal with the giant berry on George Takei's eye in Search for Spock? He doesn't have it before or after.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Subyng posted:

I feel like making her half Romulan isn't necessary. Unless humans are uniquely the only species that has differences in personality between members, I think it simply being a quirk of her personality makes it more interesting.

Emotional suppression is kind of a big part of what makes Vulcans anything more than just smug humans with pointy ears and rage-strength.

Namaer posted:

Does the novelization explain why he refers to her as Mister?

No. I think it's supposed to have become a gender-neutral form of address by that time.

Namaer posted:

Thanks Timby, that makes a lot of sense. I gotta say the costuming in WoK owns very hard. The new red uniforms and the away team jackets look extremely spiffy, though the engineering suits carried over from TMP are still an eyesore.

I disagree on the engineering suits, but even from a position of not liking them, I hope you'll agree that something is at least better than the "everyone everywhere is in the same drat spandex outfit no matter what they're doing" boredom of TNG.

Namaer posted:

The problem with that is that at the start of Search for Spock they mention that the Enterprise is 20 years old.

I can't help but wonder if that's supposed to be a nod to real life, seeing as Star Trek 3 came out about 20 years after work began on The Cage.

WampaLord posted:

I mean...to be fair, who does?

Nick Meyer was able to figure out that if you wear Shatner down with multiple takes, he eventually settles down and gets to work so he can get on to another scene already.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Zurui posted:

I still maintain that the Captain Murphy era of Sealab 2021 is one of the best Star Trek (and semi-military crew-based sci-fi in general) parodies out there.

Patrick Stewart said that, on first catching Red Dwarf, it was close enough to TNG that he was already reaching for the phone to call his lawyer when he realized how funny it was.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

He said something similar about galaxy quest, how he was mad and it sounded like an insult to fans but then saw it and liked it after Frakes said to give it a chance. Dude seems to get mad and defensive about every scify that isn't trek. I mean red dwarf is nothing like trek, there's not even any aliens in it and they're on a lovely mining ship and most of the plots are interpersonal struggles leading to comedy.

I wish he'd put any of that defensiveness of his brand into actually defending the brand form garbage like the TNG movies. You'd think the man would have a higher price than 'we'll let you drive a dune buggy".

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Some more Search for Spock thoughts:

I really liked the first half, everyone except for Chekov had something to do, an interesting scene showcasing their character. McCoy in the bar, Sulu in his crazy jacket fighting the huge security guy, Uhura and the "get in the closet" guy, and Scotty sabotaaaaaging the Excelsior. Had a very fun and adventurous tone to it.

I don't understand the character of Kirk's son at all. He has no relationship with him, and we as the audience don't really get to know him. His death in the movie is treated as this crazy heightening of the stakes, but it just felt like this awkward tonal shift that wasn't earned at all.

I teared up at the end.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

He said something similar about galaxy quest, how he was mad and it sounded like an insult to fans but then saw it and liked it after Frakes said to give it a chance. Dude seems to get mad and defensive about every scify that isn't trek. I mean red dwarf is nothing like trek, there's not even any aliens in it and they're on a lovely mining ship and most of the plots are interpersonal struggles leading to comedy.

I wish he'd put any of that defensiveness of his brand into actually defending the brand form garbage like the TNG movies. You'd think the man would have a higher price than 'we'll let you drive a dune buggy".

I read that article, and Stewart's issue with it was that he thought it was belittling Star Trek fans, but after seeing it and realizing that the end of the movie is super fans of the show being the heroes, he got on board.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Search for spock has a better sense of adventure, a more awful bad guy, and more genuine emotions that Khhhhhhan.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Christopher Lloyd was a great villain, chewed all the scenery. I was genuinely sad when his dog died.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Namaer posted:

I don't understand the character of Kirk's son at all. He has no relationship with him, and we as the audience don't really get to know him. His death in the movie is treated as this crazy heightening of the stakes, but it just felt like this awkward tonal shift that wasn't earned at all.

Kirk's son is the worst part of Wrath of Khan. He's got this weird mistrusting Starfleet plot that goes nowhere, he doesn't contribute anything to the plot, and having him be Kirk's son seems like an overly-literal way to address the film's theme of aging that's already handled perfectly fine by the Enterprise being crewed by cadets. I'm not surprised they killed him off at the first opportunity.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Search for spock has a better sense of adventure, a more awful bad guy, and more genuine emotions that Khhhhhhan.

Yeah but wasn't Kirk's scream an act because he knew Spock was chillin nearby to pick them up?

Also Khan > Chang > Doc, Son of Brown

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

Kirk's son is the worst part of Wrath of Khan. He's got this weird mistrusting Starfleet plot that goes nowhere, he doesn't contribute anything to the plot, and having him be Kirk's son seems like an overly-literal way to address the film's theme of aging that's already handled perfectly fine by the Enterprise being crewed by cadets. I'm not surprised they killed him off at the first opportunity.

His mistrusting of starfleet came from Carol being really pissed off at Kirk and came to a head when he saw the man his father truly was on the bridge at the end, it's why he is actively working with them studying the Genesis planet. David almost stabbing Kirk was also a great scene since his conversation with Carol about how his son almost tried to kill him, and didn't recognize him and how he just stares in the distance, realizing just how hosed up of a situation he's in really resonates with me when I watch the film now.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Do Star Trek movies as a general rule start with everyone watching a clip from the previous movie? I'm starting Voyage Home and they did it again.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Namaer posted:

Do Star Trek movies as a general rule start with everyone watching a clip from the previous movie? I'm starting Voyage Home and they did it again.

2,3,4 are a trilogy. All directly tie in with one another. The others don't have that, though First Contact kind of does with the locutus opening.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

2,3,4 are a trilogy. All directly tie in with one another. The others don't have that, though First Contact kind of does with the locutus opening.

Well, 2 kinda does in the reuse of the Enterprise flyby and launch sequence.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Wrath of Khan reused the Klingon attack footage from TMP because it was cheap (and to be fair Paramount paid dearly for all that TMP special effects footage, it's hard to blame them for wanting to squeeze it as hard as they can).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also while we're talking about Paramount moving on from TMP, I remember reading somewhere that at least at one point during Wrath of Khan production, the directive basically was to act as if TMP had never happened so far as story and setting went.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The script for ST:II actually references stuff in TMP

quote:

KHAN: Fire! Fire!
JOACHIM: We can't fire, sir!
KHAN: Why can't you?
JOACHIM: They've damaged the photon-control and the warp drive. We must withdraw.

It's a nice nod to continuity because we learn in TMP that the new phasers channel energy through the warp drive. If the warp drive goes offline, so do the phasers.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I'm 45 minutes into Voyage Home and it's already my favorite piece of Star Trek media, this movie is incredible.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Namaer posted:

I'm 45 minutes into Voyage Home and it's already my favorite piece of Star Trek media, this movie is incredible.

Yeah? well double-dumbass on you!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Angry Salami posted:

The theme of the movie isn't just aging, it's about Kirk facing continuous consequences from his romantic, swashbuckling adventurism. Khan's insanity, that dead cadet in Scotty's arms, Spock's death, the Kobayashi Maru, all play into that. David— the unexpected son conceived as the result of one of Kirk's trademark conquests— turns out also to be a momma's boy raised to resent his father and his values. It's a continuation of that same theme.

Kirk keeps yearning for the good ol' days of his youthful galaxy hopping and he keeps getting slapped the face with the possibility that he may have been causing a lot more collateral damage while doing that than he realized.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The theme of the movie isn't just aging, it's about Kirk facing continuous consequences from his romantic, swashbuckling adventurism. Khan's insanity, that dead cadet in Scotty's arms, Spock's death, the Kobayashi Maru, all play into that. David— the unexpected son conceived as the result of one of Kirk's trademark conquests— turns out also to be a momma's boy raised to resent his father and his values. It's a continuation of that same theme.

Kirk keeps yearning for the good ol' days of his youthful galaxy hopping and he keeps getting slapped the face with the possibility that he may have been causing a lot more collateral damage while doing that than he realized.

Pretty sure Carol was more than a conquest of the week, but he couldn't give up one lady in his life for another.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

Pretty sure Carol was more than a conquest of the week, but he couldn't give up one lady in his life for another.

It's often assumed that Carol is the 'blonde lab tech' who he said he nearly married.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

After The War posted:

Patrick Stewart said that, on first catching Red Dwarf, it was close enough to TNG that he was already reaching for the phone to call his lawyer when he realized how funny it was.

Wasn't that also because he was watching Red Dwarf's 'Thanks for the Memory', which he found was really similar to TNG's 'Clues'?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I heard once that a drunken Patrick Stewart, falling into senility, had his lawyer on the phone, was shouting at him, enraged, because some movie cast a man who looked like him to play a crippled psychic and it was disrespectful to the fans.

He gets really defensive about Trek.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

bull3964 posted:

The script for ST:II actually references stuff in TMP

It's a nice nod to continuity because we learn in TMP that the new phasers channel energy through the warp drive. If the warp drive goes offline, so do the phasers.

And without main power (aka the warp drive) the Enterprise can only fire "A few shots, sir."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FuturePastNow posted:

And without main power (aka the warp drive) the Enterprise can only fire "A few shots, sir."

So........

I the novelization of TMP, Kirk immediately calls Scotty to create a bypass around the warp engine for the phasers after the confrontation with Decker in his quarters.

So, we can assume that the Enterprise has a design modification from Scotty that hasn't been adapted by the fleet. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Honestly tying phasers into the warp engine seems like an awful idea, in any fire fight its warp power that gets knocked out first.