Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Finally caught up on Star Citizen after leaving the thread in last year and boy there's a lot of stuff that had happened.

"you don't understand game development" is a common excuse when Star Citizen delays its promised features. Are there games whose development is well-known enough now that we can see how much is "done" after two years, after three years, or after a certain number of years?

None whose developers truly understand game development.

Checkmate goonie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Kingdom Death nears $10 million, is most Kickstarted game ever

quote:

Kingdom Death: Monster 1.5, is an updated version of the original game which was Kickstarted back in 2012.
At the time of writing the total sits at $9,905,499, with 37 hours to go. That’s more than a million more than Exploding Kittens, the previously most crowd funded game on Kickstarter (Star Citizen doesn’t count, as it earned most of its money from after-campaign pledges). It also now sits as the fifth biggest crowd funding campaign ever, only beaten by the likes of the Pebble Watch’s various campaigns and the Coolest Cooler.

Finally. People need to start saying this more.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Fatkraken posted:

We were talking about ship design a little while ago, on that note I really like the ED thargoids. They look organic but nicely alien, taking inspiration from plants/starfish rather than the usual insects or crustaceans seen over and over from Alien to Warhammer, the particle effects are neat and unlike any of the current ships, and they have a distinctive silhouette which links them unmistakably to the 10 polygon models from a 25 year old game while still looking modern and fresh

That's some cool design, a nice callback and a good take on how to update a simple visual concept to account for a millionfold increase in computing power

Finally Banu have come to Star Citizen!!!

Oh wait that's a Thargoid!

Lol

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Hav posted:

AWS' European endpoints are Frankfurt, London and Ireland, and there's literally no reason, other than they can't split their traffic, to route someone to the access point, then use the fat pipe in the back. Other than expense.

Would expense even factor into it with AWS? Assuming each match spins up a new EC2 instance, they'd still be paying the same amount for cpu cycles and bandwidth. Do costs differ by region?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

peter gabriel posted:

Lumberyard working well

:eyepop:

The fact that the normalized ping for shooting was inline with other FPS's makes me thing the lag is coming from how badly they hosed up the camera, movement, rigging and animations in the engine.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7433718/#Comment_7433718

:allears:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

http://i.imgur.com/hIEwHUO.gifv

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

:allears: indeed.
Dave does not want to play SC, Dave only want's to "imagine" playing SC.

Keep walking those expectations back Dave, keep drinking the Kool aid Dave, keep making CIG happy by never showing unrest Dave, never be a naysayer Dave.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I thought summer 2016 was supposed to be the start of big things for Ms. Huxley :confused:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

I thought summer 2016 was supposed to be the start of big things for Ms. Huxley :confused:

Bookmark the next 3 months

Also:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7433748/#Comment_7433748

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nicholas posted:

Would expense even factor into it with AWS? Assuming each match spins up a new EC2 instance, they'd still be paying the same amount for cpu cycles and bandwidth. Do costs differ by region?

No, but the actual GSLB setup costs something to handle the given zone. Technically the location of the EC2 instance doesn't matter as they'll tend to route you 'close', without exposing any of that to you. It's getting to the right endpoint that matters, and that means having a VPC in each zone you want to use.

You _can_ use something as belt'n'braces as a geomind lookup table for the external IP of the client (eg non-private address), and then route that to the 'right' location. This is almost static proximity balancing. Failing that, you could actually run a ping to each endpoint to find out which is quickest/least latent.

Finally, EC2 instances are _really_ variable. AWS uses shared occupancy for everything, meaning you could be sat in an unoccupied rack, or a runaway peer can gently caress your performance. Most performance people tend to spin up X instances, test them and dump X-1 of the worst performers; curiously, this is really economical to do. You can also save some money by going 'spot', but most of the time it's not useful. Spot effectively bids for compute time but doesn't guarantee it.

Another thing that pops into my head which has relevance; AWS does not guarantee IP addresses remain constant either, which means that you're usually invoking DNS, I _suspect_ that Lumberyard has a way of dealing with this elegantly, but it's another fun thing to consider. (When we load balance to EC2, we have to use a DNS lookup to check the IP _every_ time)

edit: ^^^ So close. So very, very close to self-awareness. Keep going Boo.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

When will the issue be fixed? (according to /r/starcitizen)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

*Annabelle 'Boo' Huxley sits bolt upright in bed and shakes Chris Roberts her non-game-developer boyfriend awake as thunder crashes outside the window*

:corrupt: "Honey wake up wake up I had a horrible nightmare"

:gary: "Oh gosh that's horrible, Annabelle 'Boo' Huxley, whose full name I use regularly! What was it?"

:corrupt: ""

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

"They will be first to market with this ambitious space game"

As long as you don't count all the others that have been on the market for quite some time now, in fact who are CIG racing against now? Think Mass Effect Andromeda is the last of the big hitters that people are waiting for now.

Dave is not a very bright spark at all.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Is CIG doing one of their community shows today? I would love to watch Ben Lesnick gesticulate live.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

betty bigtits

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
ABH has a feeling the next 3 months of 2016 2017 will be very exciting for SC, where they will start seeing the game they love take up shape.

I for one, am very excited to see 3.0 in the first half of the year. MoMA and ABH said so, all issues will be fixed then.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

This is a very good chart.

I would just add the "9 women can't have a baby in one month" analogy to the parallel part.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/817225588331069440

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Don't doxx me, bro.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
So a couple of things. I think I made a pretty big mistake before because I made a bad assumption and didn't look at the accounts of Roberts Space Industries International Ltd (RSI LTD) properly.

As far as I can tell all sales for Star Citizen are made to US companies. They always have been and nothing really changed in February 2015 when Roberts announced the activation of a European "publishing arm" in RSI LTD. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14433-VAT-Change-Announcement

That transmission is quite misleading but it was my bad for taking it at face value which lead to my misreading of the accounts for RSI LTD. It was an early example of the now classic Lumberyard switch. So what did change in 2015?

All that appears to have really changed was that instead of US companies being charged by CIG UK LTD, they were charged by RSI LTD in the UK instead, who then funnel the money onto CIG UK LTD and in turn to Foundry 42 as before. I guess they changed parts of the website depending on your locale to say RSI LTD at some point but not the store. Job done.

A US company can fulfil its VAT obligations from the January 2015 EU law change without being a UK company. Not suggesting any wrongdoing.

I am not a 'citizen but can anyone paste a picture of the final screen before a checkout purchase, which company is listed? Where does the money go? Does anyone from the EU have a VAT receipt for their purchase or want to ask for one since I assume it's not provided by default. Probably not the right place to ask. Again though, I'm not suggesting any wrongdoing just want to confirm that all sales are going through Roberts Space Industries Corporation in the United States.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sillybones posted:

What, why? I bet he fucks like a horse and he weaves beautiful poetry with his every utterance. His Golden Hands are not just magic with a keyboard, you know? His seed can be considered nothing less than perfection. Any woman would be lucky to have him.

Don't be getting all het-centric up in here. I am sure both tiny twinks and burly bears can enjoy his favors too. A little Crobbers for EVERYONE! He is a national treasure and should be treated as such!

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
ben would have done this but he can't take a camera on his person in most elevators without tripping the weight limit

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

Opinions like this are a marvelous indicator that I can safely assume that whatever a person says, the opposite is true. Someone remind me what this individual has posted regarding SC?

He is a staunch and rabid supporter of SC.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

No one is making Youtube videos of different donut glazes, well not food orientated ones anyway.

There you go Ben, go film some pastry glaze mate, create a fandom around something you enjoy.

You're welcome.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Obviously there are some holes in the data and a reliance on the SC funding chart. I think with some common sense interpretation of what is missing you can see what most people suspected and that there was a surplus of funds in 2014 and earlier but 2015 and thus 2016 would have been running at a deficit vs SC funding charts. Updated MS paints for both years.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Killtek posted:

Considering the current state of 2.6, we're lucky if we see a March release of 3.0. I'm guessing that they'll release a broken 3.0 by June.

Alfonso posted:

That's my guess too.... but if CIG follow that slow pace, we will get the patch 4.0 by 2021.... and the full release with 100 systems, maybe... never.

Space Cowboy posted:

sorry to break it to you, but forget about 3.0 for the time being.

SQ42 is whats coming. which a lot of people didnt buy. guess maybe they are trying to get more people to buy it so thats why 3.0 is out of the way. bye bye planets

:allears: They are so close.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

shrach posted:

Obviously there are some holes in the data and a reliance on the SC funding chart. I think with some common sense interpretation of what is missing you can see what most people suspected and that there was a surplus of funds in 2014 and earlier but 2015 and thus 2016 would have been running at a deficit vs SC funding charts. Updated MS paints for both years.

These are rather hard to follow, but I think I misunderstood one of Derek's earlier posts. When he said 50% of their total fund-raising last year was running costs, I assumed that was overall, but the graphics imply that 50% of their total funding was for UK based expenses only? Is that true? Do we have any data on the running costs of other parts of the business?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Bit of a game changer, that one

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sabreseven posted:

No one is making Youtube videos of different donut glazes, well not food orientated ones anyway.

There you go Ben, go film some pastry glaze mate, create a fandom around something you enjoy.

You're welcome.

He's gonna need to crowdfund that. *runs to nearest broker's office and buys krispy kreme stock*

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

technically speaking - the SC's gameplay based on PBR in the dynamic lighting environment is a mind-blowing tech. Nothing of the current over-hyped FPS games can be evenly compared to it. Not even closely.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDXjQej-kqw

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Can someone explain why this would even be worth doing?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

autism

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Someone with a twitter ask bandit loaf what he has to show for the 10k people gave him

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:wow:

Talk about low expectations

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/817458021970243584

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

Can someone explain why this would even be worth doing?

By placing the glowing scrolling panel on your neck, you accomplish two things.

• That you are true space E bushido who will not try and hide in the shadows when confronting an opponent.
  • That you give your enemy a clear indication of your most vulnerable place to shoot at.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

WORK ON THE loving GAME YOU RETARDED loving HARPIE!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Cool. Mousepads. They've finally produced something everyone.

Shows over, product is done.