Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Poor guy. Can't talk about SC so he's forced to bitch about someone else's to feel good.

Yeah, I tried to play Titanfall 2 last night but just ended up tweeting about how bad COD IW is so I can see how it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Why is nothing happening...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Loss.jpg's are getting really obscure these days...

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

What does the /s mean? Sincerely?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

What does the /s mean? Sincerely?

Closing your sarcasm tag.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Judas, I always thought /s was to save your post on a BBS.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

hanales posted:

Closing your sarcasm tag.

I know. I was being facetious. gently caress you Tijuana Bibliophile.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

sorla78 posted:

Why is nothing happening...

Please stop doxxing me.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

These are rather hard to follow, but I think I misunderstood one of Derek's earlier posts. When he said 50% of their total fund-raising last year was running costs, I assumed that was overall, but the graphics imply that 50% of their total funding was for UK based expenses only? Is that true? Do we have any data on the running costs of other parts of the business?

We don't. And that's the big problem. In 2015, they raised (if you believe the funding chart) a total of $36m; and over $18m of that went to CIG (UK) alone. Imagine what the other three (LA, TX, GER) studios burned through between them.

Considering that in Q4/16 they had this much staff, it's easy to see why they need to desperately keep raising money. And they had more staff in 2016, than in 2015.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
How we develop games, by CIG:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

According to the accounts of Cloud Imperium Games UK LTD. On 1 July 2015 they finalised the transaction for £1,359,185 worth of intellectual property. However, at some point (presumably after purchasing it) they then sold £654,612 worth of this IP while it still retained its full value to them. Does anyone have any recollection or an idea what this this could relate to? Did they announce the purchase of any IP around this time?

My complete guess would be that this in some way relates to motion capture/image rights paid to acting talent and possibly the re-sale of these rights to ?? to use these rights without diminishing their value to CIG UK LTD. This is a complete guess. None of this really makes sense to me. I don't think it can relate directly to any of the US companies or Chris himself. Ortwin's company maybe. I don't know. It's possible the figure is exactly half but with an exchange rate difference, but it sill wouldn't make sense how they sold 50% of the IP while keeping hold of 100% of the value of the IP that they just purchased.

Curious side effect of this IP sale/profit is that with standard expenses of ~£50k offset by this receipt for £650k their accounts show administration expenses of -£600k. Yes, their expenses show an increase to their profit because why not format it like that?

It could be that one entity bought the SQ42 IP rights from the other.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

D_Smart posted:

It could be that one entity bought the SQ42 IP rights from the other.

Probably something similar is going to keep happening more and more as the money runs out

Chris will use the scape goat company to fall on the sword meanwhile his other entities have purchased all the good loot out from under, for a tidy profit, of which is no longer accountable to the backers because ..... *waves hands*

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Is it actually illegal for companies to lie about how many employees they have in a powerpoint presentation at a convention? Or count custodians and the people in the food truck outside as employees?

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Apparently it wasn't worth a twitter update any more. Anyone able to track down a backer that actually gave money to him to see what the email said?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/817482061493706752

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

nawledgelambo posted:

Apparently it wasn't worth a twitter update any more. Anyone able to track down a backer that actually gave money to him to see what the email said?

This seemed fitting after searching for 'boxes of garbage on fire'

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A few weeks until they know when they will get 2.6.1 ready? So that puts it in February-March. Weren't the optimistic citizens predicting 3.0 in March? Man this is going to be a long year.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/N1o8l3n.gifv

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Or more likely, someone realised they bought a "ship" jpeg without worthless "LTI" and got mad.

Serious note : RIP to the victims though :(

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sillybones posted:

What, why? I bet he fucks like a horse and he weaves beautiful poetry with his every utterance. His Golden Hands are not just magic with a keyboard, you know? His seed can be considered nothing less than perfection. Any woman would be lucky to have him.

I first read that as 'he fucks a horse and leaves beautiful poetry in every uterus'.

Scruffpuff posted:

They couldn't get it working, so they faked it and lied. Which come to think of it should be CIG's tagline.

Jank it till you bank it!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

http://eq2wire.com/2017/01/05/closing-the-book-on-everquest-next-and-landmark/

Retrospective on the now-defunct Everquest Landmark and EQ Next:

• Trailblazer packs for the then-titled EverQuest Next Landmark were estimated to have made over $10 million and were sold with the obvious connection that it would eventually support development of EverQuest Next.
  • Development on EQNext / Landmark began before the technology had been sufficiently tested. It was not known if the engine/platform could support all the features that were announced on stage at SOE Live. NPC Pathing did not work until December 2014 and requires 6GB of pathing data per island per world.
  • The EverQuest Next “combat demo” shown at SOE Live in 2013 was entirely smoke and mirrors, with developers back at the home office “playing” NPCs.
  • The VoxelFarm engine adopted for Landmark and EverQuest Next was modified in such a way that upstream changes and improvements to VoxelFarm (including major new features like placeable flowing water and fixes for bugs that plague Landmark to this day) could not be integrated.
  • Landmark was only ever intended or built as a Development Kit for creating EverQuest Next geometry. As a result, it was not a “game” and never saw basic features such as Trading items, proper Guilds, or a Broker.
  • It was revealed at the “Tech Evolution” panel at SOE Live in 2014 that this was the fourth rendition of EverQuest Next. The first two had been cancelled as being direct sequels to EQ or EQ2 and “not thinking big enough”. The third was a fixed block size version of the game. The fourth iteration introduced scaling voxels.
  • Feedback from the existing EverQuest and EverQuest II teams was largely ignored. Instead, credence was primarily given to outside feedback from recently laid off 38 Studios staff and other outsiders in the industry. 38 Studios staffers in particular encouraged the exaggerated Disney character style.
  • Georgeson went around the office telling anyone within earshot that EverQuest Next “didn’t need designers” and that “players will make the content for us”. Suffice it to say, this kind of talk was rather demoralizing for other teams within the company that valued storytelling.
  • Sony Online Entertainment took a $62 million writeoff in 2013 for development costs associated with EverQuest Next and H1Z1.
  • When SOE was given access to see exactly what Storybricks was and wasn’t, members of the EQNext team found that it was not a good fit. Rather than immediately changing course to other solutions, or beginning development on traditional storytelling tools for designers to start creating content along the lines of EQ, EQ2, and more modern MMOs, Georgeson “doubled down” on Storybricks as the be-all solution for game content creation and would not waver from that course despite it quickly becoming clear that the software didn’t align with what had been announced.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

nawledgelambo posted:

lol, the 10,000 was just to purchase the boxes.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
^ Thats a big catte

http://i.imgur.com/YxeIIet.mp4

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
bonus box catte:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Beer's is this your old carebear chariot you sold on the graybox market?

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

http://eq2wire.com/2017/01/05/closing-the-book-on-everquest-next-and-landmark/

Retrospective on the now-defunct Everquest Landmark and EQ Next:
<snip>

quote:

• The fate of EQNext/Landmark was sealed early on by design decisions and (despite having so many years under its belt of abandoned effort) rushed development and being announced before anything concrete had been planned or tested.
  • Carte blanche was given to a few decision makers based only on a cult of personality, resulting in minimal experienced critical analysis of ongoing work.
  • Despite promises of an open development process, interaction with customers completely ceased, with each game update being a complete surprise.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

it's almost as if game development failures follow very similar patterns with really obvious warning signs

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Dear Santa Crobs: can we have artificial intelligence indistinguishable from a real person as long as they're less intelligent than me?

Thanks, your pal Captain B'tak

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/366879/artificial-intelligence-in-game-less-challenging-as-players-think-again/p1

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

btakgriefer42 posted:

im permabanned poster btakgriefer42. i first started backing star citizen when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “fidelity” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “two weeks” and “let me loving finish” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of “immersive” style of star citizen gameplay was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “back” star citizen to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Best loss.jpg yet

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bofast posted:

One of the streamers was testing this recently (because of the whole shooting through the walls thing) and headshots do seem to be 1-hit kills. My guess is it's just horrible network and/or hit detection issues messing that up in actual matches

edit: cattes

I remember one of them testing it along with the whole “being shot through walls” thing a few days back. Maybe it was WTFPUA? At any rate, he kept banging on about how headshots were 1–2 to kill, compared to 4:ish in the chest and ∞ to the foot. And then when he actually tried it, it was double that — 4 to the head, 8 to the chest. :D

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Thoatse posted:

Beer's is this your old carebear chariot you sold on the graybox market?

:wtchris:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sillybones posted:

Jesus Christ, what an insufferable piece of poo poo.

"I get that not everyone can stomach open development" - What does this even meeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaan :psypop:

I believe it's the difference between people who want to see results and the people who don't want face the truth that things aren't going well in mocap land.

I don't think I've ever heard another game ever failing and being defended by the phrase "you don't understand game development."

No kidding Sherlock. We leave that to the people making their game, and trust them to know how to make a prediction within reason. I apologize CIG lies to its fans non stop. Chances are they don't understand game development. Sorry if that leap of logic is hard to swallow. :confused:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tippis posted:

I remember one of them testing it along with the whole “being shot through walls” thing a few days back. Maybe it was WTFPUA? At any rate, he kept banging on about how headshots were 1–2 to kill, compared to 4:ish in the chest and ∞ to the foot. And then when he actually tried it, it was double that — 4 to the head, 8 to the chest. :D

Doesn't matter if it's 1 hit or 20 , if it takes the space bullets 400ms to actually register the hit and say 'Hey die now'

It's like the ol peekers advantage in rainbow six siege , except about 50000 times worse

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't understand game development.

I also don't understand how Chris Roberts doesn't understand game development.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sappo569 posted:

Doesn't matter if it's 1 hit or 20 , if it takes the space bullets 400ms to actually register the hit and say 'Hey die now'

It's like the ol peekers advantage in rainbow six siege , except about 50000 times worse

In terms of actual gameplay, no. But in terms of the game immediately and viciously shanking some shill's claim of it being “tactical” by doubling the round count he's proclaiming, it's pretty much perfect. :downsgun:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I also don't understand how Chris Roberts doesn't understand game development.

*flails hands wildly*

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

If they can convince enough people that Derek Smart is bad, then Star Citizen will finally be good.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Weren't they making a documentary of this as part of the stretch goals? I remember seeing a pic with sandy and a bunch of really expensive looking equipment back in like 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Space Court: Season 5 Episode 6. "Fork in the Road" Drama/Humor.
***/***** stars. Rated M. Language, partial armpit sack nudity. After a brutal cross-examination, Ben Parpy folds under the relentless barking of Legal in regards to project "Lumberyard." The defense calls its biggest witness yet to battle back from this setback of galactic proportions. Guest starring David Duchovny, Gallagher, Ben Lesnick...Devloper, Kayak, random mocap dude.