Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He started in the IRL, he counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm watching 1980 and lol Argentina is narrow.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Minto Took posted:

I'm watching 1980 and lol Argentina is narrow.

Has it started falling apart yet?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

James mentioned it a few laps ago.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The old Argentina is one of my favorite tracks of all time. Ridiculously fast and a complete shithole

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

Yet he lost the WDC to a crispy old Lauda by half a point. Lauda was a sly old rat. 3 WDCs with 2 manufacturers in 2 different eras and he could have had a 4th if he could've been arsed in '76 or spent less time on fire. Yet a lot of people don't rate him particularly highly as an "all time" great.

Lauda is honestly my favorite driver, there's a bit of Austrian bias in there, but loving hell the dude was basically a burnt chicken nugget, and then came back in the turbo era to beat Prost in the same car. He probably would've been more highly regarded if he didn't come back but '84 was just plain awesome to watch.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

wicka posted:

Alain Post more like A Lame Post

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Human Grand Prix posted:

Good IRL drivers (that weren't ex F1 or CART guys): Uhhh, Stewart?

Wheldon?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Alain Post posted:

If you use the "standards and training have improved so Marcus Ericsson would kick Graham Hill's rear end" argument, imo it's just as valid to ask if Jim Clark would murder the modern field if he had access to the same training infrastructure and opportunities that modern drivers do

(both scenarios are equally invalid imo)

Actually that's a really good point. I see where you're going with this... Let's get TWO time machines, and run one scenario where all of the drivers get no conditioning or training, and then a parallel one where they all get nutritionists, trainers, masseurs, simulators, etc. and see if there's a significant difference in the results.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

Actually that's a really good point. I see where you're going with this... Let's get TWO time machines, and run one scenario where all of the drivers get no conditioning or training, and then a parallel one where they all get nutritionists, trainers, masseurs, simulators, etc. and see if there's a significant difference in the results.

Which one are we using to give birth control to the Verstappens?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Both.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

But you spelt Rossberg wrong?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Can I get am alternative universe where someone says "er, Ron, it's written in his contract, shut the gently caress up" and a rookie Lewis is treated like a rookie?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

learnincurve posted:

Can I get am alternative universe where someone says "er, Ron, it's written in his contract, shut the gently caress up" and a rookie Lewis is treated like a rookie?

What would this accomplish?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It would be an odd one, no Kimi WDC, Fernando would have stayed at McLaren so Flávio would not have pulled that stunt with a wall and would still be in the sport, 4th Nando WDC in 2008 or Massa's 1st? No big fine for McLaren. Would Lewis even have stayed at McLaren or would he have gone to Brawn/Mercedes years earlier and taken Rosberg's seat? Kimi not a WDC so not brought back to Ferrari?

Edit: Renault may not have made red bull the A team with Flávio still in the sport so no Vettelreich?

Imo the F1 world today would have been so much better for that simple "shut the gently caress up Ron" when it was needed most.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 10, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

It would be an odd one, no Kimi WDC, Fernando would have stayed at McLaren so Flávio would not have pulled that stunt with a wall and would still be in the sport, 4th Nando WDC in 2008 or Massa's 1st? No big fine for McLaren. Would Lewis even have stayed at McLaren or would he have gone to Brawn/Mercedes years earlier and taken Rosberg's seat? Kimi not a WDC so not brought back to Ferrari?

Edit: Renault may not have made red bull the A team with Flávio still in the sport so no Vettelreich?

Imo the F1 world today would have been so much better for that simple "shut the gently caress up Ron" when it was needed most.

Your suppositions are predicated on a Lewis Hamilton that follows orders. Which alternate universe are we snatching him from? This is all getting rather complicated.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Can I live in the universe where I become WDC if we're just spit balling about random poo poo?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Paddy Lowe has officially left Mercedes

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Can I live in the universe where I become WDC if we're just spit balling about random poo poo?

Make that the two of us.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So I'm not allowed to make one tiny change and wonder what would have happened if Nando had been happy at Mclaran, and yet it's perfectly fine to argue about raising drivers from the dead and bringing them forwards in Time :colbert:

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Khablam posted:

But you spelt Rossberg wrong?

So did you :colbert:

I'd travel back and try and get Kvyat and Maldonado into the same team.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

keevo posted:

RIP.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

learnincurve posted:

How about the parallel universe where McLaren listen to Lewis and bring him in at China? Alonso either mans up and stays with McLaren to compete for that third WDC or proves to the world that he's a whiny bitch who can't compete with an equal and nobody cares that he falls into obscurity. Hamilton doesn't have quite as much to prove so Massa is WDC 2008. Vettel is still a twat but the "Vettel or Hamilton?" argument is settled in advance. Nobody gives a gently caress who Kimi Raikkonen is. Flavio finds a different way to cheat and gets kicked out anyway.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2007 was perfect and I wouldn't change a thing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
2006-2009 were fantastic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alain Post posted:

2007 was perfect and I wouldn't change a thing.

Bwoah

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

2006-2009 were fantastic.

I love 2006, it's like the Schumacher/Senna title fight that we never got. One of the best generational battle seasons along with Prost/Lauda in '84.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
2006 was the reward for going through 2 bullshit aids seasons in a row. And 2002 I guess.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

wicka posted:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

keevo posted:

People in article comments sections seem to genuinely think he's been swapped for Bottas and/or that he will be on the Williams pit wall in Australia.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I wish I was rich and valuable enough to take months of gardening leave between jobs.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Joe's Award just posted the only thing he's ever done worth reading.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nsaP posted:

Joe's Award just posted the only thing he's ever done worth reading.

His resignation?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

His resignation?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Does he have anything to resign from? I thought he just had a blog

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

keevo posted:

The guilt from being forced to give Lewis team orders in Abu Dhabi got the better of him. It's not your fault Paddy, you're a victim.

Lewis is probably going to quit too

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

poty posted:

The guilt from being forced to give Lewis team orders in Abu Dhabi got the better of him. It's not your fault Paddy, you're a victim.

Lewis is probably going to quit too

He's probably already told them he is quitting, and is giving them time to find a replacement driver. It would be a real dick move to sign a long contract and then just leave suddenly.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

He's probably already told them he is quitting, and is giving them time to find a replacement driver. It would be a real dick move to sign a long contract and then just leave suddenly.

Nah live your own life... win the WDC and leave with the best gently caress off to your petulant team mate ever

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I highly doubt current 3 time WDC, and future all time winningest driver of all time lewis hamilton loses any sleep to one time accidental WDC whats his name retiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh but the beauty of it is that he's just petulant enough to obsess over this being the one which got away, and to brood on it for the rest of his days. #blessedbynico

• Locked thread