Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

windows continues to default one of my monitors to 640x480 and resizes all windows to fit, every time i connect my laptop

dog poo poo garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

if i resize the window a bunch really rapidly by grabbing a corner and spinning my mouse in circles it crashes because it takes the time to draw all the screenwipe transitions to fill the window size

I couldn't reproduce it but once you let go of the corner the accent color spazes out as it lags behind the resizing.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shaggar posted:

do gpu drivers run w/ high privs on their own or do you mean a privilege escalation in whatever api is between the system and the driver? (or maybe its both,lol)
no clue on implementation specifics p sure it's both though

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I just learned earlier today that the Surface Pros come with 30-60 days of warranty on the battery. You know, that non-FRU part.

Can't stop lolling.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

carry on then posted:

windows continues to default one of my monitors to 640x480 and resizes all windows to fit, every time i connect my laptop

dog poo poo garbage

Most monitors don't adhere completely to the DisplayPort or HDMI specifications, because monitor manufacturers either cheap out on display processor design or (usually because who does their own work anymore) buy them from the lowest bidder.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

dont be mean to me posted:

Most monitors don't adhere completely to the DisplayPort or HDMI specifications, because monitor manufacturers either cheap out on display processor design or (usually because who does their own work anymore) buy them from the lowest bidder.

i genuinely do not care in the least. this is still unacceptable.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cant windows remember the last resolution used by some identifier the display provides upon connecting it? idk anything about this tho

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I just learned earlier today that the Surfaces Pro

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

i'm just gonna keep watching netflix at default settings on my 900p macbook air screen, i'll probably be fine
that may give u fail aids tbqh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thank you

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Last Chance posted:

cant windows remember the last resolution used by some identifier the display provides upon connecting it? idk anything about this tho

it can't. even worse if you've opened a window at a low resolution it remembers the resolution even if you're at a higher one. enter tiny windows on huge screens

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

i genuinely do not care in the least. this is still unacceptable.

perhaps you should have figured out what was acceptable and not before you bought your trash hardware?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

windows has always been garbage when it comes to disconnecting displays. instead of doing the sensible thing and remembering the settings of the last connected display until a new one is connected it drops the desktop down to 640x480 or something in that range and messes everything up. it's been this way going back to at least xp.

the only real way to fix it is to use one of those edid faker dongles so the system thinks that a display is always connected

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'm 99% sure that the no-monitor res is in the registry and you can just change it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I have to use a dvi for my giant 1440pee monitor because hdmi and dp do that awful tiny window bullshit

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm 99% sure that the no-monitor res is in the registry and you can just change it

doesn't work :xd:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I have to use a dvi for my giant 1440pee monitor because hdmi and dp do that awful tiny window bullshit

maybe you're plugging it wrong

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

perhaps you should have figured out what was acceptable and not before you bought your trash hardware?

it is unbelievable that people are lining up to apologize for a complete lack of simple sanity checks such as "don't resize every window to 640x480 if a single, non primary display is added at that resolution" or "don't extend the desktop to a display until you have identified it"

carry on then fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 10, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah i don't know how you're supposed to know in advance if windows won't randomly completely gently caress up recognizing your display

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's pretty easy actually, don't buy trash hardware, then you can connect and disconnect displays and peripherals with confidence because they won't be reporting inaccurate or non-standard data to windows

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

please direct me to a list of monitors, video adapters, and operating systems certified to work together

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

carry on then posted:

please direct me to a list of monitors, video adapters, and operating systems certified to work together

Lenovo laptops, lenovo docks, lenovo displays, they worked pretty alright until the fan on my lappy gave out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
see also: all dell displays

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

really, just stop buying vizio-tier knockoff trash out of the back of vans in the walmart parking lot.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Boiled Water posted:

Lenovo laptops, lenovo docks, lenovo displays, they worked pretty alright until the fan on my lappy gave out

I have a lenovo laptop and lenovo dock, but an asus display. My employer selected them and i had no choice in the matter. my acer display which is also a part of this configuration works fine.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

really, just stop buying vizio-tier knockoff trash out of the back of vans in the walmart parking lot.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ah yes, those two fly by night operations, lenovo and asus

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

carry on then posted:

ah yes, those two fly by night operations, lenovo and asus
rock solid, heart touching

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

asus and acer are trash garbage for cheepo morons that buy whatever is on sale when they walk into the store, fyi

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you know why they're always on sale?

because they're cheap garbage made from bottom tier components. they're loving zastava automobiles of computer manufacturers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

help! my employer values my time so little they by discount crap equipment that doesn't work properly so that i can perform my "job".

somehow this is microsoft's fault!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

we have some acer monitors left from when we were a startup and they are wobbly as gently caress. they have never not been wobbly. they wobble if you type too fast or if you sigh after reading someone's jira comment

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 28, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

infernal machines posted:

help! my employer values my time so little they by discount crap equipment that doesn't work properly so that i can perform my "job".

somehow this is microsoft's fault!

I'll never get tired of your meltdown every time the merest brush of criticism lands even remotely close to microsoft :allears:

please, enlighten me: why wouldn't this be at least partially microsoft's fault when, given the exact same display set up, it literally never happens when i plug my personal laptop in, which does not run windows?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

carry on then posted:

I have a lenovo laptop and lenovo dock, but an asus display. My employer selected them and i had no choice in the matter. my acer display which is also a part of this configuration works fine.
it's definitely the asus display. my asus display did some hosed things under windows that it did not otherwise do under osx & opensuse with gnome

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

carry on then posted:

please, enlighten me: why wouldn't this be at least partially microsoft's fault when, given the exact same display set up, it literally never happens when i plug my personal laptop in, which does not run windows?

how is it microsoft's fault that your trash hardware doesn't work properly? i mean, it doesn't do this with all displays right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

itt: idiots blame microsoft for the fact that their $199 ideapad best buy special laptop and that monitor they found on a skip behind the pharmacy sometime don't work properly

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yeah, the w540 is worth about $200, i agree with you there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol why the gently caress do you have a w540 and an asus monitor?

who does purchasing at this clown show?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i'll ask again because i genuinely want to know: what is the logic behind placing all windows (including minimized windows) on the display that is:

1) not currently the primary display
2) not the display the windows were on before the connection was made
3) significantly smaller than any other display in the configuration

and why is this behavior preferable to the behavior of all other operating systems i have tried, which place all the windows on the current primary display where i would expect them to go

please, enlighten me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that does not happen unless you

1) remove the primary display

2) have some 3rd party multi-display window management software

3) are using an old version of windows

• Locked thread