Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

*editttttt: Quote is not edit :v:

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That's some goooooood schadenfreude.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Terrible Robot posted:

Almost as good as watching videos on youtube of rich teenagers buying super cars and then either sticking them into ditches or complaining about the service costs.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
There's barely even any snow in those pictures.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The best thing about this is

-3hr ago

-1hr ago

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*editttttt: Quote is not edit :v:

ambulances and fire engines are trucks. :colbert:

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

The ford GT ordering kit they send to owners to help them pick their colors and materials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAAGlSl02w

gently caress them. No V8, no sale. Especially for 400K.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

R-Type posted:

gently caress them. No V8, no sale. Especially for 400K.

I feel like you should be revving a 160hp chevy 305 with no mufflers while saying this.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Wasn't the engine picked for homologation reasons? Or just fuel economy for endurance racing?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Can't imagine a V6 TT is any better on fuel than a V8. I'd bet worse, especially on a race car that's constantly at high load/boost where things get very hot and more fuel (oddly) is what cools things down.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Smaller capacity engines with turbos are crap on fuel if you rag them everywhere. If you are just trundling along and not spooling the turbo up then they are great. Same thing with turbo diesels which always amuse me when people drive them like they stole them and wonder why their fuel costs are higher than their old petrol car.

VVV That is good to know about modern turbo engines. It makes more sense than just throwing a snail on it so you can quote higher power figures at the top end.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 10, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Funny thing - none of that's true anymore, what with direct injection and all, at least as the cars are built. The boost limits and richest allowed lambda are actually in the balance of performance stuff and publicly available (http://files.constantcontact.com/db5636c9001/0727cee9-9398-4ef5-b13f-7498d3ece430.pdf) - the Ford GTs this year will be running only around 8psi of boost, and no richer than 0.9 lambda - for comparison, the naturally aspirated Corvettes are allowed to run a bit richer at 0.88. One of the big things turbos get you though is a broader powerband, which lets you do things like potentially have the same output torque at lower engine RPM. Watch the Daytona 24 in a couple weeks - the Corvettes and Porsches have basically the same tank size as the GTs.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MetaJew posted:

Wasn't the engine picked for homologation reasons? Or just fuel economy for endurance racing?

Dunno about the full on racing ones, but the road versions are getting slapped with the gas guzzler tax. Don't the 6.4 Dodges manage to dodge that with the 8-speed?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Dunno about the full on racing ones, but the road versions are getting slapped with the gas guzzler tax. Don't the 6.4 Dodges manage to dodge that with the 8-speed?

Correct. In MA the tax is $1000 which is the same as paying for the 8 speed upgrade so it works out that no matter if you choose a manual or an auto the price is the same.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

Funny thing - none of that's true anymore, what with direct injection and all, at least as the cars are built. The boost limits and richest allowed lambda are actually in the balance of performance stuff and publicly available (http://files.constantcontact.com/db5636c9001/0727cee9-9398-4ef5-b13f-7498d3ece430.pdf) - the Ford GTs this year will be running only around 8psi of boost, and no richer than 0.9 lambda - for comparison, the naturally aspirated Corvettes are allowed to run a bit richer at 0.88. One of the big things turbos get you though is a broader powerband, which lets you do things like potentially have the same output torque at lower engine RPM. Watch the Daytona 24 in a couple weeks - the Corvettes and Porsches have basically the same tank size as the GTs.

The best part is DI engines are eventually going to need particulate filters.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

those are C6 Audi RS6 bits jammed all up in there.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BlackMK4 posted:

I think they may also need urea injection too, at least if they try raising the compression ratio any higher.

It's my personal belief that the cleanest ICE drivetrain is a pushrod V8 cammed for Atkinson cycle running at max efficiency with a hybrid electric trans attached.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And as we know from experience, your personal beliefs are often completely wrong.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Smaller capacity engines with turbos are crap on fuel if you rag them everywhere.

AKA ask me about getting 15 mpg in my 2.0 Ecoboost.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

FogHelmut posted:

AKA ask me about getting 15 mpg in my 2.0 Ecoboost.

FFS I get 16-21 on my 3.5L ecoboost F150

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

And sooner than you'd think...

Powershift posted:

And as we know from experience, your personal beliefs are often completely wrong.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Its the area I live in, I'm getting a few mpg below city rating in my other car too. I drive almost 0 highway miles, and its all suburban SoCal hills. As soon as you reach the 50 mph speed limit, you're on the brakes for the next stop light. All of the houses are on the hillsides, and all of the roads are in the valleys, so you get intersections at all of the low points. Always braking downhill and accelerating uphill. It's ideal for hypomiling.

For the record, I was doing above EPA when I lived in a flat area.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BlackMK4 posted:

They are already pushing for a soonish implementation in Europe.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 10, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

:gary:

I was only half-ironic in the past when I said we peaked at push rod V8's. Transmission improvements, lighter cars and refinements to the engines themselves are all they need.

I mean, a bloody Charger R/T is rated at 25 mpg on the highway as it stands today.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

The ford GT ordering kit they send to owners to help them pick their colors and materials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAAGlSl02w

That's pretty cool. Definitely better than an online configurator or whatever, and you get a matching VIN for the kit when you get the car, making it part of the collection.

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeeeeeeesssss

Found this after a few related videos to the Ford GT kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGrut8IhEu0

Dangit, now I need want a straight-8. Should have made my dad keep the '53 Pontiac he got in a package deal, but it did need a lot of work. Ditto fir the '30s Lincoln with the flathead V12 (hydraulic power windows!)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FogHelmut posted:

Its the area I live in, I'm getting a few mpg below city rating in my other car too. I drive almost 0 highway miles, and its all suburban SoCal hills. As soon as you reach the 50 mph speed limit, you're on the brakes for the next stop light. All of the houses are on the hillsides, and all of the roads are in the valleys, so you get intersections at all of the low points. Always braking downhill and accelerating uphill. It's ideal for hypomiling.

For the record, I was doing above EPA when I lived in a flat area.

I was getting 15mpg crawling 25 miles in DC traffic for 2 hours each way. :shrug:
Now I get 15 mpg at 12lbs of boost :getin:

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm doing about the same with my Explorer Sport.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Grater posted:

I was getting SLIGHTLY better with my Sport Trac on the highway miles.
But my Explorer wasn't making 365HP & 420ft/lbs

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

BigPaddy posted:

Correct. In MA the tax is $1000 which is the same as paying for the 8 speed upgrade so it works out that no matter if you choose a manual or an auto the price is the same.
I ordered my 6.4 Challenger with a TR6060, went back a half-hour later to change it to the ZF 8spd, and then waffled back to the manual minutes later. In NC, the ZF is a $400 difference in price due to the guzzler tax (as the ZF was $1400 at the time). Sometimes I regret buying the manual... but only sometimes. The 8spd is a loving amazing unit.

That said, I've seen just a touch over 30mpg on ~300mi highway stints with the 6.4/6spd combo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I treated myself to a nice model of an 80" Land Rover. Minichamps 1/18 scale:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

But where is the oil leak? :confused:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I treated myself to a nice model of an 80" Land Rover. Minichamps 1/18 scale:

Thunderbird 2 was the best toy of the set. I wonder if my parents kept mine.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Larrymer posted:

Can't imagine a V6 TT is any better on fuel than a V8. I'd bet worse, especially on a race car that's constantly at high load/boost where things get very hot and more fuel (oddly) is what cools things down.

You'd be extremely wrong then. The Ford GT's biggest advantage over the naturally asiprated Corvette and the turbo 488 GTE was its fuel mileage, particularly under part throttle.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Powershift posted:

those are C6 Audi RS6 bits jammed all up in there.

Good lord. Have a link to a build post or anything?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Guinness posted:

Good lord. Have a link to a build post or anything?

Did a little big of digging, apparently it has it's own facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Golf-V10-Bi-Turbo-GoGi-1608008346149208/photos/?ref=page_internal

there are some build pics at the bottom.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Grater posted:

My '66 Corvette is on the low end of that, and '12 Wrangler is on the high end.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Thunderbird 2 was the best toy of the set. I wonder if my parents kept mine.

Glad I wasn't the only one who saw that first. My kids play with mine often. Lucky for me my mom is a hoarder and I rescued it and a bunch of old toys from her house.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Wistful of Dollars posted:

:gary:
I mean, a bloody Charger R/T is rated at 25 mpg on the highway as it stands today.

I get 28 MPG from my Challenge R/T 392 :getin: until I decide to overtake :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

drgitlin posted:

You'd be extremely wrong then. The Ford GT's biggest advantage over the naturally asiprated Corvette and the turbo 488 GTE was its fuel mileage, particularly under part throttle.

As stated in the racing regs above, well, yep. On the road though where they aren't constrained by class rules, I'd still stand by what I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was getting SLIGHTLY better with my Sport Trac on the highway miles.
But my Explorer wasn't making 365HP & 420ft/lbs

To be fair the Explorer Sport ecoboost is tuned a bit lower than the F150, it's rated 365hp/350ft/lbs.

Once my warranty is up I'll be there or better though.

Godholio posted:

My '66 Corvette is on the low end of that, and '12 Wrangler is on the high end.

I had a 2007 wrangler before this and it got almost identical mileage to my explorer. I'm way heavier on the pedal than I was with the Wrangler though and I can carry my entire family in comfort. I also have less than 10,000 miles and from what I've heard they improve a bit once they are fully broken in.