Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

mm2015 wasn't that good and i never played em but the first modern masters is easily a top 3 draft format of all time

shame no one got to play it

Nah, drafting was on rails. After four picks you always had exactly one person on giants, one on goblins, one on artifacts, one on saprolings, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

mm2015 wasn't that good and i never played em but the first modern masters is easily a top 3 draft format of all time

shame no one got to play it

I very much enjoyed drafting MM15...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I liked 15 because you could go hard for the duals and mix things up. A shame 5C was always best in sealed though.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Attorney at Funk posted:

There should be a paper version of the Standard Gauntlet where you can show up and pay basically draft prices and rent a deck for three rounds.

A local store used to do something like this with a fairly comprehensive collection of precons. It was a lot of fun the couple times I did it, but I have my doubts about how well it would hold up if people put the work into breaking the format that they put into Standard.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
mm should have been printed into endless oblivion so we could buy nobles for $10 and goyfs for $25

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

A local store used to do something like this with a fairly comprehensive collection of precons. It was a lot of fun the couple times I did it, but I have my doubts about how well it would hold up if people put the work into breaking the format that they put into Standard.

If they handed you a deck randomly then there's not much of a way to 'break' it, right? Definitely the last thing I'd want is a revival of those "which color prerelease box is the Most Powerful"

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Attorney at Funk posted:

If they handed you a deck randomly then there's not much of a way to 'break' it, right? Definitely the last thing I'd want is a revival of those "which color prerelease box is the Most Powerful"

It wasn't a random selection, you got to pick one out of the bin. I think a few of them were disallowed/cannibalized for Jittes.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

It wasn't a random selection, you got to pick one out of the bin. I think a few of them were disallowed/cannibalized for Jittes.

Yikes.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

can I pick the one with Trinket Mage, Steelshaper's Gift, and Skullclamp

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elyv posted:

can I pick the one with Trinket Mage, Steelshaper's Gift, and Skullclamp

:stare:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I found it https://archive.wizards.com/magic/displaythemedeck.asp?set=5dn&decknum=1

E: from the deck description on that page

quote:

Bonesplitter is always great, but the surprise gem of the deck is Skullclamp[...]

Elyv fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 10, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The description for that deck literally includes the line "Let the dumb kids play with the big, expensive creatures." Absolutely incredible.

That's a pretty drat nice looking precon too.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
One of the Darksteel precons was basically an affinity deck featuring skullclamp and it was really fun but also so much more powerful than the other precons

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

netcat posted:

One of the Darksteel precons was basically an affinity deck featuring skullclamp and it was really fun but also so much more powerful than the other precons

I still think the most powerful precon ever is much older - back during Urza's Saga, there was a theme deck called The Plague, which was a deck based around **Pestilence, Pro-Black creatures and redirect effects **.

decklist posted:

# Name Cost
Rare
1 Pariah 2W
1 Worship 3W
Uncommon
1 Opal Acrolith 2W
1 Sanctum Guardian 1WW
3 Voice of Grace 3W
1 Flesh Reaver 1B
3 Wall of Junk 2
2 Humble 1W
2 Urza's Armor 6
Common
3 Drifting Meadow -
2 Polluted Mire -
3 Disciple of Grace 1W
1 Silent Attendant 2W
3 Unworthy Dead 1B
1 Blood Vassal 2B
2 Disenchant 1W
2 Rune of Protection: Black 1W
1 Sicken B
2 Expunge 2B
1 Befoul 2BB
4 Pestilence 2BB
1 Corrupt 5B
Basic Land
7 Plains -
12 Swamp -

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

Why would you play standard anymore with the possibility that something that has happened 4 times in 25+ years could happen at any moment?

One of these times was not like the others, one of these times was followed by an immediate implicit announcement that they were going to do it again in a month.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Niton posted:

I still think the most powerful precon ever is much older - back during Urza's Saga, there was a theme deck called The Plague, which was a deck based around **Pestilence, Pro-Black creatures and redirect effects **.

Not only did I have this deck, I still have the little pamphlet that came with pre-cons back then that would talk about all of the pre-cons from that given set and how to best play and upgrade them. Basically every upgraded version was running 2-3 Wasteland. If only I had listened to them back then!

I have a such booklets from a few different sets lying around if people are curious. I know I have them for Exodus, Urza's Saga and Urza's Destiny and I might have ones for Masques and Invasion too.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

That reminds me, I still have the manual for Shandalar somewhere, I should dig it out and see if there's anything entertaining in it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I can't imagine the whole manual being anything but highly entertaining.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Not only did I have this deck, I still have the little pamphlet that came with pre-cons back then that would talk about all of the pre-cons from that given set and how to best play and upgrade them. Basically every upgraded version was running 2-3 Wasteland. If only I had listened to them back then!

I have a such booklets from a few different sets lying around if people are curious. I know I have them for Exodus, Urza's Saga and Urza's Destiny and I might have ones for Masques and Invasion too.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

That reminds me, I still have the manual for Shandalar somewhere, I should dig it out and see if there's anything entertaining in it.

requesting all of these

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

requesting all of these

Found the Masques one but unfortunately no Invasion booklet, which is especially disappointing because I know I bought two pre-cons from that set. However I did find a Rules booklet from an Ice Age tournament pack, what I think was the first Magic product I ever purchased.

Highlights from each-
The Ice Age booklet features description of each color in Magic.
"Black magic's power comes from the swamps and bogs; it thrives on death and decay. Many wizards shun black magic's self-destructive nature even as they long for its ruthlessness. Black's traditional foils are green and white."
"Blue magic flows from the islands and thrives on mental energy. Other wizards fear the blue magicians' ability with artifice and illusion, as well as their mastery of the elemental forces of air and water. Blue's traditional foils are red and green."
"Green magic gets its life from the lush fecundity of the forest. Like nature itself, green magic can bring both soothing serenity and thunderous destruction. Green's traditional foils are blue and black."
"Red magic feeds on the vast energy boiling deep in the heart of the mountains. Masters of earth and fire, red magicians specialize in the violence of chaos and combat. Red's traditional foils are blue and white."
"White magic draws its vitality from the untouched, open plains. Though white magicians focus on spells of healing and protection, they also devote plenty of time to the chivalrous arts of war. White's traditional foils are black and red."
For as much as some of us like to blast Wizards for putting the color pie on a pedestal, these descriptions still seem apt 20+ years later even though "elemental forces" aren't as much of a thing in current Magic. Also interesting that they explicitly stated enemy colors for each color, though I guess cards like Gloom and Pyroblast had been around since the beginning.

One of the pre-cons from the Exodus set was a BR land destruction deck (can you imagine them doing a land d pre-con today?), for the which the enhanced version was some kind of proto-Jund-
1 City of Brass
1 Forest
2 Karplusan Forest
3 Mountain
3 Quicksand
3 Reflecting Pool
2 Sulfurous Springs
3 Swamp
2 Undiscovered Paradise
4 Wasteland
1 Plaguebearer
3 Orcish Settlers
2 Monstrous Hound
1 Ravenous Baboons
2 Anarchist
1 Orgg
2 Uktabi Orangutan
1 Dirtcowl Wurm
1 Army Ants
3 Diabolic Edict
4 Rain of Tears
2 Earthquake
2 Searing Touch
4 Incinerate
4 Stone Rain
1 Hammer of Bogardan
2 Flowstone Flood
//Sideboard
2 Perish
1 Earthquake
2 Boil
1 Ravenous Baboons
2 City of Solitude
2 Tranquility
2 Uktabi Orangutan
3 Nevinyrral's Disk

Note that the "enhanced" versions of these decks all appear to be designed for Standard play at the time of set release. So for example, this one uses cards for Tempest block, Mirage block, and Fifth Edition. And Wizards seems to have been at least slightly aware of actual tourney results when doing these- one writeup in this book name-drops ProsBloom! Other decks here: RW weenies & burn, UB self-discard/card advantage(?), mono-U control.

From the Urza's Saga book, the enhanced version of The Plague (thanks Niton for the basic list)-
8 Swamp
7 Plains
3 Drifting Meadow
2 Polluted Mire
4 Reflecting Pool
4 Disciple of Grace
2 Wall of Essence
1 Standing Troops
2 Paladin en-Vec
1 Wall of Nets
1 Marble Titan
2 Voice of Grace
1 Spirit Mirror
2 Wall of Junk
3 Humble
3 Pariah
1 Worship
3 Dark Ritual
2 Drain Life
2 Expunge
4 Pestilence
2 Urza's Armor
//Sideboard
2 Circle of Protection: Red
3 Disenchant
1 Warmth
2 Light of Day
2 Yawgmoth's Edict
3 Perish
2 Persecute

Looking at the deck's description, they start off by calling it a control deck. Young me definitely didn't pick that up as I recall thinking of control decks as "anything with blue" for the first few years of my playing. Also, look at all that color hate in the sideboard! It's been mentioned a few times in the thread, but Wizards really doesn't do color hate anymore, or at least not like it did back then. Probably for the best TBH- stuff like Warmth and Dread of Night would be ridiculous today, even in a stroner format like Modern. Other decks here: mono-W "sleeping" enchantments (stuff like Opal Caryatid), RG Echo, UB Cycling/Reanimator.

The Urza's Destiny set had a BG pre-con that I wanted so badly, and that I think is the reason why BG is my favorite color pair today (sadly I never picked the deck up). Basic list this time as it is hella sweet, at least according to me circa 1998-
1 Polluted Mire
2 Slippery Karst
13 Forest
6 Swamp
1 Phyrexian Monitor
2 Plague Dogs
2 Elvish Lyrist
3 Heart Warden
1 Goliath Beetle
2 Hunting Moa
1 Cradle Guard
1 Marker Beetles
3 Yavimaya Elder
2 Gamekeeper
3 Plated Spider
1 Winding Wurm
1 Ancient Silverback
1 Phyrexian Reclamation
1 Chime of Night
1 No Rest for the Wicked
2 Twisted Experiment
2 Expunge
1 Victimize
1 Diabolic Servitude
1 Rancor
2 Symbiosis
1 Pattern of Rebirth
1 Splinter
1 Braidwood Cup
(no SB for basic lists)

I love the "I dare you to kill this creature" auras (there were others in UD too like Dying Wail), and the creatures that can die for some benefit. The booklet suggests playing Victimize on a Gamekeeper to get two creatures from your yard and the top creature in your library. The enhanced version also features Verdant Force + Recurring Nightmare :sicknasty: Other decks here: mono-B aggro, UR aggro, UW Auras (lots of creatures in this block that get better when enchanted). Notably, the enhanced version of the deck that I did have (mono-B aggro) called for Volrath's Stronghold, Vampiric Tutor, and Yawgmoth's Bargain. I should've listened to them!

For the Masques booklet, they stop doing SBs for enhanced lists and overall they just don't feel as strong. But this enhanced RG aggro deck might have been a good idea to build. See if you can guess why-
2 Gaea's Cradles
2 Treetop Village
6 Mountain
12 Forest
1 Cinder Elemental
2 Shock Troops
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Deepwood Wolverine
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Wild Dogs
2 Vine Trellis
2 Horned Troll
2 Squallmonger
1 Deranged Hermit
1 Weatherseed Treefolk
3 Shock
2 Volcanic Wind
4 Rancor
2 Symbiosis
2 Collective Unconscious

Other decks here: mono-W Rebels (pre-Lin Sivvi), UW control, BR disruption.

This got a little long, but let me know if you're curious about other decks or have any memories of these. Also if you have any such booklets from Urza's Legacy or the Invasion, post 'em. If I have the time in the near future I might copy all of the lists out of these, a Thunderdome where the participants use these pre-cons might be interesting.

VV Right! That's the term I was looking for, thanks.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 11, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

(one of those 75-card boxes, wanted to call them fat packs but obviously they aren't)

Tournament packs, I think.

They were pretty much only used for sealed stuff, but they were definitely more convenient than cracking a whole bunch of boosters.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Starter decks. And the ice age ones were the only way to get snow covered lands.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

C-Euro posted:

The Masques booklet doesn't deserve a write-up because it features a mono-W Rebels decks that doesn't run Lin Sivvi in the basic OR enhanced version :downs: Also at this point they stop doing SBs for enhanced lists. Other decks here: UW control, BR disruption, RG aggro (two Gaea's Cradle for the enhanced version!)

Lin Sivvi was in Nemesis, not Masques I thought?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yup.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ShadeofBlue posted:

Oh right :downs:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Notably, the enhanced version of the deck that I did have (mono-B aggro) called for Volrath's Stronghold, Vampiric Tutor, and Yawgmoth's Bargain. I should've listened to them!

put a 6 mana enchantment in your aggro deck, they'll never see that coming

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mandatory lesbian posted:

i put a ball of hornets in the middle of my deck. present to cut my deck? no problem, idiots. jackpot, another easy tournament win for rabidsquid

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

i put a ball of hornets in the middle of my deck. present to cut my deck? no problem, idiots. jackpot, another easy tournament win for rabidsquid

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Do you offer the handshake as well?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i will shake the hand of your corpse

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

i will shake the hand of your corpse

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

Hey you can Ritual it out on turn 4!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Why does green have the best dig spell in modern (ancient stirrings) what the heck blue cards get yourselves together

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Molybdenum posted:

Why does green have the best dig spell in modern (ancient stirrings) what the heck blue cards get yourselves together

Because storm won some games in 2012.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

uninverted posted:

Literal war crime.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Molybdenum posted:

Why does green have the best dig spell in modern

Arguably somewhat true of standard, too.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

don't worry im sure that R&D darling creature tribal Eldrazi will get their free ancient tomb banned once it pushes Jund/k out of the format haha I almost believed that one

e:

uninverted posted:

shame, Thalia + Vryn Wingmare hatebears would be a cool deck to have around competitively

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ThePeavstenator posted:

don't worry im sure that R&D darling creature tribal Eldrazi will get their free ancient tomb banned once it pushes Jund/k out of the format haha I almost believed that one

they already did ... oh, you're talking about their *other* free ancient tomb?

(honestly though eldrazi isn't actually that bad these days)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

decks comes and decks go but the Rock remains

or, to put it another way, there have been very few times in the history of modern/extended that BGx midrange wasn't at least at t2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I admit bias as a Jund/k player but I stand firm that it's dumb to have a deck that's only good because it has a land that produces more and faster mana for an arbitrary creature type and then just drops bad fatties of said creature type

e:

like if there was a land that made 2 mana for beasts and then everyone just started playing Thragtusks and Obstinate Baloths I'd have the same problem with it (except Thragtusk and Baloth are both cool and good)

• Locked thread