Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Mesothelioma posted:

rank? are you going in with any teammates? do you know what you're doing?

SEM, full stack, sort of (although I did drop the ball a couple times today, I'll admit that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It's easier to play against smarter opponents

Far more predictable

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How come both Re-buy previous and also closing the little overview in spectator with shift never ever work at all for me

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

45-50 kills is insane. I don't think I've seen one person get that many kills in a game.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Guess you never played with me :grin:

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

Man, I keep having the worst matchmaking luck recently. Every single match has a smurf who drops 45-50 kills. It's just loving annoying, I wish I wasn't so loving bad at this game and didn't have to deal with that.

Safe to assume you're still not in 'prime' mm yet also.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Has anyone been noticing any sound related bugs lately? (im using HRTF) Starting this week i've had several incidents where I've been sure I've heard a footsteps from a certain location, only to find that the player isn't coming from there at all- also happened with gun sounds today

teammate was in in a 1v1 and you could CLEARLY hear a usp firing right behind him, only the dude was actually in front of him and only a miracle 180 saved the round

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

drunken officeparty posted:

Watching pro games on twitch is like watching a different game than what I play entirely. They all get instant kills no matter what so it's who sees who first. And they play as if there is no timer I don't even get how. I'm a CoD boi at heart and I rush around shooting wildly and can't not think "oh jesus there's only 45 seconds left why are you sitting watching a corner!!!"

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Has anyone been noticing any sound related bugs lately? (im using HRTF) Starting this week i've had several incidents where I've been sure I've heard a footsteps from a certain location, only to find that the player isn't coming from there at all- also happened with gun sounds today

teammate was in in a 1v1 and you could CLEARLY hear a usp firing right behind him, only the dude was actually in front of him and only a miracle 180 saved the round

no consistency to it, but yeah every now and then i'll hear something on completely the wrong side. its pretty rare though

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

I get this all the time with HRTF. I actually really like it when it works right but I constantly get hosed up directions from it so i turned it off.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i just turned htrf on for some deathmatch practice and i like it except when it makes me die

also sometimes i can't hear awps fired at me

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Has anyone else experienced your AWP not firing if you're trying to quick switch or scope too quickly after hitting mouse 1? It happens to me fairly regularly now, and it never did before.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
yes; i've tried to stop quick switching completely in the past month because of it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Crimson posted:

Has anyone else experienced your AWP not firing if you're trying to quick switch or scope too quickly after hitting mouse 1? It happens to me fairly regularly now, and it never did before.

Yes, and I hate myself every time that happens.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
quickswitching is a very bad habit but its also hard to break

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

yall ready for some stickers?!

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i am.

godsent just cancelled their flight to WESG in china at the last minute. Sad!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's hard for your brain to distinguish this audio without the help of visual ques"
"It's hard to tell the difference between a sound directly in front of or behind you, even if you are using both ears. When the sound source is exactly equidistant to both ears, they receive very similar information and your brain has fewer clues as to where the source may be." https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bring-science-home-two-ears-sound/

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

Happened last night in an Inferno game. Seems like it doesn't even happen consistently throughout the team either. Had two HRTF hear a guy banana and one HRTF guy hear CT. Guy came from CT. (No we aren't silvers and my sense is 1.6/400).

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Bohemian Nights posted:

Sounds don't move. So if someone takes off a silencer and walks away the silencer sound will stay in one place as the player moves away from it.

Also which goons are going to the eleague major? If any??

stump collector
May 28, 2007
CLG is replacing hazed with FNS.

:eng99:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Agoat posted:

Sounds don't move. So if someone takes off a silencer and walks away the silencer sound will stay in one place as the player moves away from it.

yes but that's unrelated to the problem I'm describing

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/GODznajder/status/819305667509022721

Poetry.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Lol this awesome. Dgaf attitude.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Just ranked up to global on my smurf again :(

Time to let inactivity do its thing again I guess

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

stump collector posted:

CLG is replacing hazed with FNS.

:eng99:

you mean he just walked back into the CLG house and setup?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Photex posted:

you mean he just walked back into the CLG house and setup?

yes, matchmaker m0e set it all up

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

WESG is starting right now on Twitch, but lets be honest you don't care, GODSENT didn't.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
have no idea why they dropped out when the prize pool seems better than the major. maybe they knew they would do poorly at both if they went? or are chinese prize winnings taxed harder? it is a mystery

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
This introduction ceremony is ridiculous

UK Esports gamers

Depths fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 12, 2017

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

stump collector posted:

have no idea why they dropped out when the prize pool seems better than the major. maybe they knew they would do poorly at both if they went? or are chinese prize winnings taxed harder? it is a mystery

JW literally came out and said PRIDE beat them so loving bad that they got eliminated from both tournaments.

I kid, I kid JW did say that losing to PRIDE hosed them up bad though and as a team the major is their last shot at performing well, mentally they are loving destroyed and I doubt they even make it off the plane before getting 16-0'd

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Depths posted:

This introduction ceremony is ridiculous

its very poo poo

stump collector
May 28, 2007
oh christ i forgot they lost that game haha

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
so why is this tournament so big yet full of clown teams? I thought maybe cos of Major overlap or something, but there are several big names just randomly in the mix

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Jeza posted:

so why is this tournament so big yet full of clown teams? I thought maybe cos of Major overlap or something, but there are several big names just randomly in the mix

Cause everyone in the team has to be from the same country so most of the teams are mix teams, atleast for europe and NA

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jeza posted:

the teams members must be all from the same country which is why certain teams like EnvyUs and VP will always be all french/poland

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

stump collector posted:

Had they went, they would of only had 24hrs at home, and they feel the need to rest +practice

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Yeah it's a way softer tournament, and a more reasonably attainable big payout given the team turnout, but I think any ambitious team is extremely focused on performing at Majors and reaching Legend status. Sticker money, sponsorship stuff, guaranteed placement at the next Major and so on. This is the first edition of this WESG tournament, who knows what will happen for it in the future, whereas Majors are pretty evergreen because of their Valve support.

Major qualifiers are pretty viciously competitive, so I think the stability you get from getting Legend is probably the most wanted thing in the tournament other than winning it outright. More than the prize money from 2nd and below even.

It doesn't take much to fall off the gravy train if you make a couple of mistakes. See: NiP not even attending the Major after dropping bo1s to Vega Squadron and Optic in their qualifier. And since they aren't attending the Major, they don't get a free invite to the next Qualifier, which means they need to come through the Europe minor.

So they'll need to be Top 2 (from 8) at the Minor, then Top 8 (from 16) to even attend another Major. Both of these involve plenty of bo1s, which are pretty notoriously vulnerable to variance.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Thanks for reminding me that forest is not signing my mousepad in Atlanta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I keep forgetting NiP didn't qualify and I get sad every time I remember :(