Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
https://twitter.com/icp/status/819296817401778176
Check this out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
This is a major step down from the juggalo deckbuilder.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Concordia is another one that I think plays well from 2-4. It can be expanded with different maps that work well with different player counts, too.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This will go well with my copy of ICP Talisman and ICP Dominion!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What the gently caress

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lol at some of the villains just being children.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

jivjov posted:

I sleeved the entirety of Dominion up to Adventures in one sitting. That is true boredom.

I sleeved Legendary: Alien while watching movies. It took me a movie and a half to get it sorted and sleeved.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Concordia is another one that I think plays well from 2-4. It can be expanded with different maps that work well with different player counts, too.

I want a Concordia reprint. I'm assuming it's MSRP isn't actually $90+.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Concordia is still abailable in europe and should cost about 40 Bucks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a recommended place to buy card sleeves of various sizes? I haven't checked my local gamestore, that's probably the best bet? I probably should sleeve my A Feast for Odin occupation cards.

I also know no one cares but I'm one playtest away from having the third scenario done and then I'll make the challenge topic tomorrow. gently caress work and Chicago's weather this week in delaying all my plans!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Johnny Truant posted:

Is there a recommended place to buy card sleeves of various sizes? I haven't checked my local gamestore, that's probably the best bet? I probably should sleeve my A Feast for Odin occupation cards.

I also know no one cares but I'm one playtest away from having the third scenario done and then I'll make the challenge topic tomorrow. gently caress work and Chicago's weather this week in delaying all my plans!

Jesus Christ, that's a fair bit of sleeving for something that doesn't get handled that much, isn't it? I usually get sleeves as add-on orders when I'm sort a few bucks or whenever I pop into my non-exorbitantly priced FLGS down the road.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Impermanent posted:

Disrecommend on 2player Orleans. The game is great with 3 or 4 players, but the game is very bad at keeping options tight and limited in a 2 player game.

I think the expansion explicitly addresses this problem with the 2-player scenario. I haven't played that version yet but it's from what I can tell from the instructions and board.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

discount cathouse posted:

Concordia is still abailable in europe and should cost about 40 Bucks.

Not the case in the States unfortunately, $75+ on Amazon/eBay is the best I can find. Out of stock at all the retailers I know to check (CSI, MM, etc.) and locally. :sigh:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I played sid Meyers civilization board game with three other also new players for the first time last night. We did the easy intro game without wonders, and it still took three and a half hours including setup. Does anyone have suggestions for what I could tell ap prone players to help offset that when teaching new playera? I just did things to see what results, but one player last night just spent so long trying to understand everything whenever she had to take a move, it really bogged things down.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Jesus Christ, that's a fair bit of sleeving for something that doesn't get handled that much, isn't it? I usually get sleeves as add-on orders when I'm sort a few bucks or whenever I pop into my non-exorbitantly priced FLGS down the road.

:shrug:

Like ~250 cards, and they and the weapons cards get handled a lot, in my opinion. Also I'm addicted to AFfO so...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Johnny Truant posted:

:shrug:

Like ~250 cards, and they and the weapons cards get handled a lot, in my opinion. Also I'm addicted to AFfO so...

Self quoting on sleeves:

canyoneer posted:

For some reason on Amazon most sleeves are sold at above MSRP, so definitely not there.
The next question to "what's the best sleeve?" is "what are you sleeving?"
My mental checklist for sleeving goes something like this:
How likely are these cards to show wear during normal gameplay?
How important is it that these cards do not show wear?
How unpleasant will it be to replace these?

If it's a deckbuilder like Dominion where you're shuffling many, many times in the game, you're going to see a lot of wear. It will ruin the game for you, because the wear will be disproportionately high on the cards that are always in your deck like estates and copper. Replacement for Dominion is not bad for the money/victory cards, because they're sold separately. I chose to sleeve them in the Fantasy Flight euro sleeves, because they fit super nicely and make it easier to do the tons and tons of shuffling required.

On a game like Codenames, why bother? The game is in print and it's like $15 so who cares if the cards get worn.

I didn't sleeve Sushi Go! either, because it's cheap to replace and the cards are printed on that nice thick plastic like playing cards.

canyoneer posted:

I like Ultra Pro team bags for card storage. For Lord of the Rings, I have my encounter deck cards sleeved in penny sleeves and stored separated by set in their own team bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Standard-Packs-Value/dp/B00JNZ4LB2/

I find the best place to buy sleeves are on the dedicated game retailers, like CoolStuffInc/Miniature Market/Cardhaus.
Don't buy Mayday sleeves. Fantasy Flight sleeves are good for board games. KMC or Dragon Shield sleeves are what 99% of Magic players use for their decks (both are good, and it's a Cola Wars style debate over which people prefer)
If you want to order a zillion sleeves at once, Potomac Distribution has great prices for large volumes.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Self quoting on sleeves:

I find the best place to buy sleeves are on the dedicated game retailers, like CoolStuffInc/Miniature Market/Cardhaus.
Don't buy Mayday sleeves. Fantasy Flight sleeves are good for board games. KMC or Dragon Shield sleeves are what 99% of Magic players use for their decks (both are good, and it's a Cola Wars style debate over which people prefer)
If you want to order a zillion sleeves at once, Potomac Distribution has great prices for large volumes.

KMC: when they don't have Dragonshields

They're both pretty good actually.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I've been selling some board games on the BGG Market, and I want to spend my newfound cash on... more board games (lol). I played Inis last night and really liked it, so I think I'm going to order that, but I'm trying to figure what else to put in my order to get free shipping. I think I'm trying to decide between Great Western Trail and Steampunk Rally - anyone have opinions on those games? Are the people who own Great Western Trail still playing it? I feel like if I get Inis maybe I don't want Steampunk Rally which also has a drafting phase for cards to affect the board... But I am always interested in games that play a lot of people with good decisions and a shorter playtime.

Any other great games from the last year that I might want to think about? I'm interested in Cottage Garden, although it seems like it's not widely available in the US. I know about A Feast For Odin, but, sorry to say, I'm not a fanatic for Uwe's farming games.

burger time fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 12, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

canyoneer posted:

It's funny because I just got really into board games a couple of months ago, and at that time I viewed sleeving as mostly a spergy habit that just added extra expense to the hobby. After a few games of Mage Knight, I now understand the importance of sleeves. It's funny how quickly your sweaty goon hands can noticeably affect the cards.

I found KMC hyper mattes in bulk for like $5 a pack on Amazon, and I'll be embarking on my first marathon sleeving session this weekend for Mage Knight and the Arkham Horror LCG. 400+ cards to sleeve :neckbeard:

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 12, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
What's the chance of Sherlock Holmes getting a reprint and how much does it usually go for when it does? I'm seeing an offering on Craigslist for $50 which doesn't seem unreasonable given it's out of print, but not sure if I should just wait till it does get a reprint at some point?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

burger time posted:

I've been selling some board games on the BGG Market, and I want to spend my newfound cash on... more board games (lol). I played Inis last night and really liked it, so I think I'm going to order that, but I'm trying to figure what else to put in my order to get free shipping. I think I'm trying to decide between Great Western Trail and Steampunk Rally - anyone have opinions on those games? I feel like if I get Inis maybe I don't want Steampunk Rally which also has a drafting phase for cards to affect the board... But I am always interested in games that play a lot of people with good decisions and a shorter playtime.

Any other great games from the last year that I might want to think about? I'm interested in Cottage Garden, although it seems like it's not widely available in the US. I know about A Feast For Odin, but, sorry to say, I'm not a fanatic for Uwe's farming games.

The two (GWT and Steampunk Rally) are completely different classes of games to me, so it's dependent on what you or your groups would prefer. Steampunk Rally fills a rather under-served niche in that it's a relatively rules-light and friendly game that can handle up to 8 players without a linear increase in game time while still having some interesting decisions, since basically everything is handled simultaneously each game phase (which to be fair can lead to some unfortunately ambiguous rules situations). The usage of dice is one of the better implementations I've seen recently as well, since you have reason to want both highs and lows, and you roll like a million dice every phase.

GWT is a moderately heavier game that supports up to 4 players, and it's a rather interesting take on the deckbuilder with a map type of game. You and the other players are continually cycling down a path to deliver cattle (your current hand of cards) for money. There are a bunch of actions on that path that let you do stuff like trash cards from your hand, buy better cards, etc etc. As you progress through the game, you also get to develop the path with more, improved actions, which feels somewhat like Caylus, even though it's completely different in execution. I liked it perfectly fine, but didn't feel the need to own it, since I have plenty of games that I'd rather play over it if I wanted a heavier game.

As far as last year's releases, my most played games were probably the new version of Through The Ages and the new edition of 1846, though both are in the 2.5 hour + range as far as length. I also liked North American Railways, which is roughly an hour long at most, if not shorter.

Edit: Oh right, the new expansion for Dominion, Empires, is excellent, though I haven't had the chance to play it since the first half of the year.

taser rates fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 12, 2017

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

burger time posted:

I've been selling some board games on the BGG Market, and I want to spend my newfound cash on... more board games (lol). I played Inis last night and really liked it, so I think I'm going to order that, but I'm trying to figure what else to put in my order to get free shipping. I think I'm trying to decide between Great Western Trail and Steampunk Rally - anyone have opinions on those games? Are the people who own Great Western Trail still playing it? I feel like if I get Inis maybe I don't want Steampunk Rally which also has a drafting phase for cards to affect the board... But I am always interested in games that play a lot of people with good decisions and a shorter playtime.

Cottage Garden is like multiplayer Patchwork that plays very quickly and is over before you know it. It is somehow lighter than normal patchwork if you ask me but a lot of fun. Just be careful because in the last round you lose points until you're finished your gardens.

Feast is incredible and if you're not a fan of Agricola/Caverna farming then you're in luck because there's virtually none of it in that sense. It's mostly placing workers, acquiring/transmogrifying goods, and filling up spaces on your personal boards. It's really something else and if you can find it for a reasonable price go get it!

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Xaris posted:

What's the chance of Sherlock Holmes getting a reprint and how much does it usually go for when it does? I'm seeing an offering on Craigslist for $50 which doesn't seem unreasonable given it's out of print, but not sure if I should just wait till it does get a reprint at some point?

Consulting detective? I'm pretty sure there is a reprint right around the corner to go with the expansion.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Xaris posted:

the rights have changed and a new version is coming out this year.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Papes posted:

Consulting detective? I'm pretty sure there is a reprint right around the corner to go with the expansion.

Yeah that one. Thanks for the heads up, I'll just wait for that then.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

On card sleeves: Dragon Shield Clear are a thing of beauty. Great for games that have varying card backs and nice that they are less intrusive on the art of the game in general.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Just want to add my voice to the chorus:

Got to play it yesterday and... A Feast for Odin seems to be a masterpiece. It's by far the most engaging Uwe game I've played, and it's got so many different avenues to victory and engines built in to it that the replayability seems drat near infinite. Inis was my clear leader for 2016 releases, but this has muddied the waters a lot.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I've been playing Pandemic Legacy with a couple other people and so far we've been doing great! We've won all three of our games so far (the last two have been somewhat close, if only since we wanted to eradicate a disease before ending the month) - and haven't had even a single Outbreak. This last part actually bothers me - is it normal? Maybe we've missed something in the rules or it was mistranslated? Also, is the Researcher as bonkers as I think she is?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mikey Purp posted:

It's funny because I just got really into board games a couple of months ago, and at that time I viewed sleeving as mostly a spergy habit that just added extra expense to the hobby. After a few games of Mage Knight, I now understand the importance of sleeves. It's funny how quickly your sweaty goon hands can noticeably affect the cards.

I found KMC hyper mattes in bulk for like $5 a pack on Amazon, and I'll be embarking on my first marathon sleeving session this weekend for Mage Knight and the Arkham Horror LCG. 400+ cards to sleeve :neckbeard:

For deck builders sleeving serves another important purpose, it makes shuffling 1000% easier. Sleeved cards can just be pressed into each other, unsleeved cards require a lot more finesse.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Tevery Best posted:

I've been playing Pandemic Legacy with a couple other people and so far we've been doing great! We've won all three of our games so far (the last two have been somewhat close, if only since we wanted to eradicate a disease before ending the month) - and haven't had even a single Outbreak. This last part actually bothers me - is it normal? Maybe we've missed something in the rules or it was mistranslated? Also, is the Researcher as bonkers as I think she is?

Doesn't sound normal, after three games you'd have a pretty large chance of being in trouble for at least one of them. Researcher's drat good with or without Legacy rules though!

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

burger time posted:

I have a strong distaste for Agricola and Caverna but I wholeheartedly recommend Feast. It's really good.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tevery Best posted:

The difficulty definitely ramps up. They add some spoiler rules that increase the difficulty by a number of routes - one of which my group keeps forgetting about

Very mild rules spoiler the one where when you draw a coda card from the player deck you're supposed to put a cube down

The researcher is very good.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Tevery Best posted:

If this is your first time anyone in your group has played pandemic, then I'd start by making sure you're trading cards with each other correctly. In order to give someone a card, you have to both be in the city printed on that card. I messed that up on my first play and it made the game significantly easier. Also make sure that when you get an epidemic, you shuffle the infection discard deck alone and then place it on top of the draw pile. This ensures that the same few places get infected again and again. If you're shuffling the entire infection deck together, the game will be a breeze.

I've played 2 games of legacy so far, and we lost both to sudden overwhelming outbreaks caused by back to back epidemics, just when victory seemed near.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Tevery Best posted:

Zero outbreaks is pretty impressive. Did you remember to remove Funded events from the deck? My group missed that rule on our first game and it really threw everything off.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

SilverMike posted:

Doesn't sound normal, after three games you'd have a pretty large chance of being in trouble for at least one of them. Researcher's drat good with or without Legacy rules though!

Okay, so walk me through, where can we make a mistake? At the end of each player's turn, we draw 2 (later 3, later 4) infection cards from the bottom of the deck, then discard them. When an Epidemic comes up, we ramp up the number of new infections, then draw one more card for the big infection and discard it. Afterwards, we shuffle the infection discard pile and place those cards on the top of the infection deck.

The net effect is that the infection deck cycles through its entirety a little bit before the end of the game, so as long as you break up the early game 3-stacks, you're in the clear on Outbreaks.

We've been close to losing via running out of red (Coda) cubes twice, but spamming Quarantine helped prevent a disaster both times.

So, where are we making a mistake?

EDIT: I've been diligently throwing Funded events out, so that's not the problem.

EDIT2: we've also messed up trading cards during our learning play (non-Legacy rules), but we've learned from that and we've had no issues on that front since (also we've only played without a Researcher once, so it was much less of an issue).

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 13, 2017

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
You should be drawing from the top of the deck. You only draw from the bottom for the big infection. You should be drawing the same cities over and over again, not cycling through the deck.

Edit: The infection deck

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Tevery Best posted:

You are definitely doing something wrong if you haven't had a single outbreak.

The Researcher can pass cards more easily, but she receives cards the same way that everyone else does.

After an Epidemic, are you shuffling ONLY the discarded Infection cards and placing them on top of the deck? You should be continually drawing the same cards.

Yea, and draw from the top of the deck with the sole exception of the card from the Epidemic. Also, the card drawn from the Epidemic gets 3 cubes and if there's even a single cube on it, there's an Outbreak.

Since you haven't had a single outbreak, I would just start the game over if I were you.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 13, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Basically anytime someone reports "several first timers played a coop and kept winning easily" you can basically guarantee they got some rule(s) wrong.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Tevery Best posted:

Okay, so walk me through, where can we make a mistake? At the end of each player's turn, we draw 2 (later 3, later 4) infection cards from the bottom of the deck, then discard them. When an Epidemic comes up, we ramp up the number of new infections, then draw one more card for the big infection and discard it. Afterwards, we shuffle the infection discard pile and place those cards on the top of the infection deck.

The net effect is that the infection deck cycles through its entirety a little bit before the end of the game, so as long as you break up the early game 3-stacks, you're in the clear on Outbreaks.

We've been close to losing via running out of red (Coda) cubes twice, but spamming Quarantine helped prevent a disaster both times.

So, where are we making a mistake?

EDIT: I've been diligently throwing Funded events out, so that's not the problem.

EDIT2: we've also messed up trading cards during our learning play (non-Legacy rules), but we've learned from that and we've had no issues on that front since (also we've only played without a Researcher once, so it was much less of an issue).

drat, that WOULD make it easy. You screwed up on drawing Infection cards, they come from the -top- of the deck, not the bottom. What should happen is you run your first turns with the initial infection, pull an Epidemic, then have to large infect + shuffle the cities that have already been infected back on top. Then you start pulling them again, which is the main source of causing you trouble because now you have to worry about drawing Milan after the Epidemic when it's already got 3 cubes on it.

E: The big infection cards do come from the bottom of the deck, though - that guarantees a new city being infected every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Sokani posted:

You should be drawing from the top of the deck. You only draw from the bottom for the big infection. You should be drawing the same cities over and over again, not cycling through the deck.

Edit: The infection deck

That's it. I just checked the manual, somehow I must have misread that several times (in my defence, Epidemics have been much more prominently marked out with the "draw from the bottom" part in nice red letters, so that's probably why I missed that).

I knew something had to be wrong, I just kept forgetting to ask. Thanks!