Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Viva Miriya posted:

hey do you want a new avatar so we don't have to look at this weird rear end one you have

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatmccartney
Aug 4, 2016

cybertier posted:

I might have a chance to get some (~8) Skill Extractor from an old Account, which I thought I might use to set up PI Skills on the 3 characters on my main account.

Knowing nothing about PI I started googling PI and wormholes but that resulted in rather conflicting information. Some say I should only produce P1/P2 and straight sell that. Some say creating a chain with the available Planets to create P1 -> P2 -> P3 -> P4 is best. Some say that just importing and creating higher end stuff would be best. Also there were hybrid mentioned, like importing some and creating some yourself.

Does anyone have experience with running PI on 3 characters and low-ish amounts of work involved?

It's not so much better/worse as a tradeoff between effort and isk. You can spend all day ferrying stuff between extractor and factory planets to optimize profit.
I run lazy 4/2 (4 basic feeding 2 advanced) planets. Reset extractors every 3 days, transfer P2 to customs office every week or two, collect with a hauler every month-ish for 1B in stuff.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

meatmccartney posted:

It's not so much better/worse as a tradeoff between effort and isk. You can spend all day ferrying stuff between extractor and factory planets to optimize profit.
I run lazy 4/2 (4 basic feeding 2 advanced) planets. Reset extractors every 3 days, transfer P2 to customs office every week or two, collect with a hauler every month-ish for 1B in stuff.

I have some 6/3 p2 planets and some p1 only planets, but the 4/2 p2 remains my preferred setup. It hits the sweet spot with how much effort I want to spend on the game. Better to run longer cycle times than start to hate the game trying to match the peak efficiency some spreadsheet spit out. The perfect theoretical setup still produces 0isk/hr, if you don't have the time or motivation to log in.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

ullerrm posted:

To be fair, Phoenixes are much more viable against other caps now that TPs have diminished effect against sieged/triaged caps instead of no effect. One unbonused TP should get you full damage against moving armor caps.

The real pain is the delayed application -- and thats why the standard goon fit pre-rebalance had two missile velocity rigs.

I forgot that TPs do apply at least something now, but yeah, the delay is painful and results in either a lot of lost damage or needing to call different targets for the phoenixes, unless you're shooting supers.

That's a pretty reasonable fit. I still don't think I'd use it over a nag/rev, but at least it's not a moros. My thinking on DD soaking is that after all the other dreads on field die and it's just phoenixes, it takes significantly longer to kill them when they're full tanked. This may be more applicable to small fights than big ones though, 90% of my capital experience tops out at 15 or so on a side, and I lean towards heavily tanked phoenixes because if both sides end up with around 3 dreads left, the side with more phoenixes wins because it takes so drat long to kill them. I've actually run into an active tanked phoenix that was the only thing left in a hostile fleet, but since we only had 3 dreads left and it had around a 25-30k active tank we couldn't break it before they got a batphone together.

Viva Miriya posted:

hey do you want a new avatar so we don't have to look at this weird rear end one you have

Sure, but I'm way too lazy to think of one and you might want to look to yourself first if you care so much.

cybertier
May 2, 2013

meatmccartney posted:

4/2 means 4 planets that refine their ressources into P1 products and then 2 planets that use those P1 products to produce P2?
A 3 day babysitting time sounds very much like what I'm looking for.

cybertier fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 12, 2017

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

cybertier posted:

4/2 means 4 Planets that refine their ressources into P1 products and then 2 planets that use those P1 products to produce P2?

4/2 is a setup for a single planet making a p2.

The most basic setup is four basic factories, two advanced factories, a launchpad, and two extractors. Lay out all the links (you can hold ctrl to start a link, then click the destination), then add extractor heads. Resource routing is extractors p0 -> launch pad -> basic factory -> launch pad -> advanced factory -> launch pad

You buffer through the launch pad so you don't lose material when a cycle finishes but the next step is not ready to accept input.

Here's a random GIS setup. This one uses silos to buffer p0 and p1. This might require command center upgrades V, or some optimal link lengths (link length increases CPU?/PG usage). If you don't have the fitting for this setup you can do it all through a single launchpad but might have to pay a bit more attention so you don't lose p2.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 12, 2017

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

VideoGames posted:

Who is pony avataring people? :mad:

Someone with more money than sense.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Booley posted:

Sure, but I'm way too lazy to think of one and you might want to look to yourself first if you care so much.

i guess you get to keep your weird avatar then

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
the last time ponytars were common im pretty sure the dude was rebuying them like mad

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

VideoGames posted:

We've had a few goons with more money than sense that would go wandering through the eve thread and pony/duck people at random.

I kinda miss my duck.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Didn't you have a dancing rhino for ages? SOAP is only showing the Star wars walker on a leash and I KNOW you had more than that.

cybertier
May 2, 2013

Thanks that was very helpful.

meatmccartney
Aug 4, 2016

cybertier posted:

4/2 means 4 planets that refine their ressources into P1 products and then 2 planets that use those P1 products to produce P2?

3 days is the P0 extraction cycle. If you can pull 12k per hour of each P0 over 3 days, then no touchie for 36 hours. You need a big enough white blob on scan and enough extraction heads. I'm a loving dork for writing this.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Pony avs are way worse than duck avs.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

ranbo das posted:

Pony avs are way worse than duck avs.

Good thing you have both I suppose

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

working mom posted:

Good thing you have both I suppose

It's to reflect how bad I am at posting.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I do p0 to p1 extraction and then dump the p1s onto factory planets. This does 3 things:

1.) I can set my p0-p1 extraction planets to 7 day cycles and not give a gently caress.
2.) With multiple characters I can get higher volumes of p1s to dump onto the p2s to make a higher volume of p2s.
3.) Avoid bottlenecks from depletion

Also even relatively weak planets that are 'cold' on resources, 1 single maxed out extractor can pull enough if you place the heads right.

I only do PI to supplement my pos fuel manufacturing and to vertically integrate for t2 production. For what it's worth, I can pump out enough oxygen, coolant, and mech parts amongst the collaboration of 6 characters weekly to satisfy the needs for 15 large pos for weekly fuel manufacturing. Only when I get lazy and forget to reload my factory planets do I have to buy from the market (depending on how much effort you want to put into your factory planets, and the type of setup, you have to reload them about 2 times a week with p1s).

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 13, 2017

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I just do P2 single planet PI and I've been wondering if I can do better. Have 3 lava/plasma planets making transmitters, a temperate making fertilizer, and an ice making viral agents on one character for about ~1m isk/hr. Glad to have it because I can lose frigates guilt free, I feel like its the only good option for 1 character PI. I hear people talk about wetware being where the money's at and I don't know what they mean.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Flanders. Could I get some input on the Phoenix I linked and possible improvements?

Denis
Apr 8, 2015

VideoGames posted:

ahahaha OOS would be proud )))

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

Flanders. Could I get some input on the Phoenix I linked and possible improvements?

You might appreciate this raw footage of some PHOENIX BLAPPING. Its old but yeah.

e: first like 5 minutes maybe has to do with blapping a barghest real quick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RAF2OCdZl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZCueLS8c2g&t=182s

I think we died screaming at some point but yeah enjoy.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 13, 2017

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

I just do P2 single planet PI and I've been wondering if I can do better. Have 3 lava/plasma planets making transmitters, a temperate making fertilizer, and an ice making viral agents on one character for about ~1m isk/hr. Glad to have it because I can lose frigates guilt free, I feel like its the only good option for 1 character PI. I hear people talk about wetware being where the money's at and I don't know what they mean.

Start characters on the other two slots on your account. Takes about a month each for the pi skills. So get your main trained to something you'll enjoy then spin up an alt. One account can run 18 planets. Simplest way to make more isk is to add more planets.

In deklein GSF had 1℅ tax planets. If you want to get into factory production, and you're in GSF, find out if they have some set on delve.

http://foo-eve.blogspot.com/2014/12/pi-spreadsheet-working-again.html?m=1

This spreadsheet might help you out. It's not always worth making a more advanced component. Sometimes the parts are more valuable than the product.

And remember that pi should enable you to enjoy eve. If you get a setup going that makes you loathe logging in tear it down and go lower effort.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Zephyrine posted:

It's a good start. Things I'd change:

* T2 cap energizer: Drop this to T1. If you're popping it at all, it means that either A) you got driveby DDed by a titan and are going to dock up as soon as you exit siege, or B) you're being primaried by a superior force and are going to die. In both cases, a T1 gives you roughly the same benefit for significantly reduced cost and fitting.

* Four BCSes: The stacking penalties mean that you're wasting money here. Three BCSes and a guidance enhancer would probably be better.

* Second TC: One TC is good, but if you're going to replace a BCS with a TE in your lows, the second TC is partly wasted. (Especially since you've got range rigs -- those are going to be on fourth and fifth stacking penalty.) Consider taking another shield extender instead, or a thermal hardener, or a flex resist hardener, to compensate for the fact that you don't have full CDFEs.

edit: Or, a better way to go about it, since you're over on grid: Replace the fourth BCS with a PDS, keep both your missile guidance computers. It almost gives you enough grid to pick up a compact capital neut, too.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 13, 2017

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Unrelated: Has anyone tried Jaguars since the small arty fitting changes?

The Jaguar has always seemed like a hull that's a natural for arty, given that it's got an optimal range bonus (useless for ACs), a tracking bonus, and two damage bonuses. But it was always a struggle to fit it in the past -- at best, you could do a plated armor kiter with 250mms, and the damage was crap. So, 90% of Jaguar fits were ACs.

But now, this fits:
code:
[Jaguar, artyuar]
IFFA Compact Damage Control
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Initiated Compact Warp Scrambler
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Republic Fleet Medium Shield Extender

280mm Howitzer Artillery II, Quake S
[Empty High slot]

Small Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer II
Small Processor Overclocking Unit II
It's fast, sturdy, 10km optimal with RFEMP or 6km optimal with Quake, 1k alpha. 40km optimal with Tremor for kiting out Garmurs behind you and warding them off. I think I'll get a few.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Flanders, how do you start whipping up a fitting? Do you start with a hull and begin from there or have an idea of what you want to achieve and go from there?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Flanders, how do you start whipping up a fitting? Do you start with a hull and begin from there or have an idea of what you want to achieve and go from there?

This old post (you'll need archives) talks about it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609703&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=169#post427578345

If you don't have archives, Google has a cached copy. Search for "ullerrm fitting comet ab" and it'll be about halfway down the page.

e: VVVV I've been playing this game for eleven years, man. A lot of this poo poo you just learn over time. I used to be a shitfitter too -- a while back, I ran into a screenshot from 2005 where I was running lv4s in lowsec in a mixed torpedo/HML/medium-artillery Typhoon with both shield and armor tanks. :shamecube:

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 13, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

ullerrm posted:

This old post (you'll need archives) talks about it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609703&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=169#post427578345

If you don't have archives, Google has a cached copy. Search for "ullerrm fitting comet ab" and it'll be about halfway down the page.

:stare: I don't think I'll ever get this game enough to do that, holy poo poo

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm very bad at eve (in an actually good at eve but still bad at eve kind of way), and really you just have to know what you want to do, what the current meta is, and what's available, and what the current meta is.

Many things you generally won't do, like making an armor cerb or a kiting abaddon. Hull bonuses are important, and while you might abandon one for certain things, generally it's good to use them.

Certain modules also interact well together. Cap boosters and active tanks. Webs+scrams. Long points and mid-range weapons. The kiting meta and snakes.

You can tell pretty quickly from hull bonuses how certain hulls are "intended" to be used, and then it comes down to a few decisions:

kiting v brawling
active v passive tank

if you're in any situation where you have logi, an active tank probably isn't the best choice

similarly, I'm not going to combines a scram, web, and LR weapons

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

ullerrm posted:

code:

[Jaguar, artyuar]
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core II

Initiated Compact Warp Scrambler
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Republic Fleet Medium Shield Extender

[Empty High slot]

Small Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer II
Small Processor Overclocking Unit II

I used to fly the old "Vily wants a web" jaguar fit with arty shoehorned onto it. The guns were only there to whore on the primary while I pinned my target in place. That fit looks fun to run about in.

Edit: My carrier alt just finished fighters 5 :toot: Not sure what to train next.

WhoNeedsAName fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 14, 2017

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

ullerrm posted:

I used to be a shitfitter too -- a while back, I ran into a screenshot from 2005 where I was running lv4s in lowsec in a mixed torpedo/HML/medium-artillery Typhoon with both shield and armor tanks. :shamecube:

I refuse to believe this. It can't be true. As a former acolyte of ye olde Vily Jag though, I'm gonna try out that arty jag fit. I love killing inties in an arty rifter, so I'll upgrade.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 14, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

I'm very bad at eve (in an actually good at eve but still bad at eve kind of way), and really you just have to know what you want to do, what the current meta is, and what's available, and what the current meta is.

Many things you generally won't do, like making an armor cerb or a kiting abaddon. Hull bonuses are important, and while you might abandon one for certain things, generally it's good to use them.

Certain modules also interact well together. Cap boosters and active tanks. Webs+scrams. Long points and mid-range weapons. The kiting meta and snakes.

You can tell pretty quickly from hull bonuses how certain hulls are "intended" to be used, and then it comes down to a few decisions:

kiting v brawling
active v passive tank

if you're in any situation where you have logi, an active tank probably isn't the best choice

similarly, I'm not going to combines a scram, web, and LR weapons

see, I had to google half of the terms here because I hear them and think "what the gently caress does that mean" and that's not a knock on you or Flanders either. And don't even get me started when someone says "meta" when referring to weapons. I thing I definitely do get is hull bonuses and how they interact with tank and weapons and that stuff

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Meta is pretty much just what's popular at the moment. You can somewhat predict it, though -- about 50% of it is reaction to the latest patch, 30% of it is weird FC preferences that end up becoming major alliance doctrines, and 20% of it is trendy flavor-of-the-week poo poo.

As an example of the latter, active tank ships with large cap batteries are really popular in lowsec solo/smallgang play right now. Why? Because someone made a PvP video featuring those modules and posted it to r/eve, and now everyone's trying it out. Same thing happens pretty much every time rhiload makes a "Zkill guide to __" video.

FC preferences are pretty predictable too. Elo Knight and Muninns, Asher and Cerbs, that one russian fucknut and Ishtars, etc. When an FC starts getting notorious for shredding hostiles with a given comp, most other FCs in the game will want to try the same comp to see if it's a real ez-win-button or just something decent.

The "reaction to latest patch" tends to move more slowly. Ultimately, Eve balancing is like the biggest game of rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock ever, where everything has hard and soft counters to it. There's big shifts initially when a patch changes something (i.e. Svipuls became far less popular when they were rebalanced, and shield-tanked BSes came back into favor due to the introduction of DICKS). Once a clear flavor-of-the-week emerges, people fly those a lot, and people also start flying hard counters to them.

For example, AB/scram/web kite frigates are in vogue right now in FW. Either you need something that can AB/scram/web brawl better than the average ship (Daredevil, Kestrel, Hawk, etc.) or you need something that can hard-counter a scram/web kite: long point kiters, dual web fits, neut boats, etc. Once people start flying those more than anything else, they'll become "in meta," and something that hard-counters those (LML jackdaws, damp navytristans, etc.) will start becoming FotM again. It moves in fairly predictable cycles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Where did Elo run off to anyway?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Space Flanders, I'm trying to come up with a small gang comp of 10-15 t1 frigs (no pirate or navy frigs) that costs no more than 3-4 ticks of carrier ratting (because I'm cheap), so I can just hand out the ships and roam with them. Basic Idea with be 2 light tackle, 2 scram web tackle, 1-2 maulus, 1 griffin, 2 logi frigs and the rest are dps ships. I've decided that it will be an armor doctrine (bar the tackle frigs), but I can't decide on the dps. From what I've eft'd myself I'd have ~100m to spend on 6-10 dps frigs. But I can't really decide on which t1 frig to use as DPS, since I'm poo poo scared of webs. Is my only option the tristan?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

School Nickname posted:

Space Flanders, I'm trying to come up with a small gang comp of 10-15 t1 frigs (no pirate or navy frigs) that costs no more than 3-4 ticks of carrier ratting (because I'm cheap), so I can just hand out the ships and roam with them. Basic Idea with be 2 light tackle, 2 scram web tackle, 1-2 maulus, 1 griffin, 2 logi frigs and the rest are dps ships. I've decided that it will be an armor doctrine (bar the tackle frigs), but I can't decide on the dps. From what I've eft'd myself I'd have ~100m to spend on 6-10 dps frigs. But I can't really decide on which t1 frig to use as DPS, since I'm poo poo scared of webs. Is my only option the tristan?
You've got a minimum of 8 tackle/support ships in your fleet of 10-15 there, so you're going to be pretty light on dps. If you're determined to go that heavy on ewar/tackle, I'd consider using destroyers rather than frigates for the dps. Beam coercers could possibly work for an armor gang like that, or you could just run shield and use talwars.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

If you insist on applying DPS from outside of web range, your options for armor ships are:

* Punishers or Tormentors with T2 pulses (for Scorch) or T1/T2 beam
* Atron or Incursus with railguns
* Tristans with drones
* Rifters with artillery

If you're open to shield ships, that gives you LML Condors/Kestrels and rail Merlins, and potentially LML Breachers.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Anyone got a brawling phantasm fit? under 200m. I get 4-12 BPCs a day... need to do something lol

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ullerrm posted:

If you insist on applying DPS from outside of web range, your options for armor ships are:

* Punishers or Tormentors with T2 pulses (for Scorch) or T1/T2 beam
* Atron or Incursus with railguns
* Tristans with drones
* Rifters with artillery

If you're open to shield ships, that gives you LML Condors/Kestrels and rail Merlins, and potentially LML Breachers.

Go with arty rifters. They fit better after the rebalance and are the prettiest t1 frigate hull in the game.

Also a year or two ago I did a really fun roam with all breachers, fitness around 8m per ship and I bought like 50. It was amazing. They're amazing. For lowsec you can go the dual masb and small AAR fit with a scram web and ab. For null go dual masb and have no logi. You rep insane amounts and do good DPS with rockets.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

Go with arty rifters. They fit better after the rebalance and are the prettiest t1 frigate hull in the game.

Also a year or two ago I did a really fun roam with all breachers, fitness around 8m per ship and I bought like 50. It was amazing. They're amazing. For lowsec you can go the dual masb and small AAR fit with a scram web and ab. For null go dual masb and have no logi. You rep insane amounts and do good DPS with rockets.

The damage is so low tho :\ Was thinking something like this:

code:
[Rifter, loleut]

200mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates
Gyrostabilizer II

Peripheral Compact Target Painter
Optical Compact Tracking Computer, Optimal Range Script

280mm Howitzer Artillery II, Tremor S
[Empty High slot]

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Projectile Locus Coordinator I
It shoots primaries good, and you could probably squeak in a long point or a web instead of the TC... but ugh, 50-60 dps at 20km with Depleted Uranium. For comparison, a 150mm rail Incursus is going to do ~80dps @ 16km with Thorium, and a rail Merlin can do the same AND pack a longpoint and a MSE. A beam Punisher packs 115dps @ 16km with Standard and a longpoint and a beefy tank.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
t1 frigates suck, fly thrashers or talwars they're really fun and can actually teach you basic fc mechanics and thinking

• Locked thread