Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ride The Gravitron posted:

need help! My [29f] husband [32m] plays video games 3-4 nights a week and I feel ignored.

u/Shitty_throwaway071y

My husband and I have been together 14 years. They haven't always been the best, but I feel like the good outweighs the bad. We met when I was 14(he was 16), started dating when I was 15 and he was 17, and got pregnant with our first when I was 19 and he was 21. We also got married when I was 19 and he was 21.

don't get married to somebody you started dating before you learned how to drive :cripes:

My [23 F] boyfriend [24 M] is attracted to a video game character and it's creepy. Not sure what to do about this.

u/videogamebabeoverme1y

My bf and I have been together for 2 years. We met in college and have a pretty good relationship, we have plenty of fun together. He's a pretty serious gamer and although I like playing some games from time to time, I'm not really into the whole gamer culture.

The problem is with one of the characters in the game. He started playing her as his main character around late May and he's been growing more and more obsessed with her. She's obviously a character intended to have high sex appeal- blonde, tight jumpsuit (although the costume he usually prefers is sports bra/underwear). He's been looking up fanart of the character (also that rule 34 poo poo) and always says stuff like "dude she is so hot" while he plays the game.

I've told him that it's getting weird and very creepy. He says that I'm looking too much into it, that it's just a game, etc. I told him that his obsession with her is making me uncomfortable but he pretty much dismissed my concerns.

I can't help but feel revolted by him when he plays the game. We went from having sex 4-5 times a week to 2 since he started becoming obsessed with her. I'm pretty sure he thinks of her while having sex with me and I feel so gross just writing this. He doesn't really let me play with him anymore since I "distract him from his training time with her". Seriously this is loving bizarre.

UPDATE- I talked to him about this for the last 10 minutes and it actually went really well. I told him very directly that his obsession with samus is unattractive, gross, and creepy. I told him I felt very uncomfortable with the incessant comments he makes about a fictional character's sex appeal. I told him he took his attraction to her way too overboard. And he actually agreed. He admitted it was creepy and weird. I told him I don't mind him playing with samus (from what I can tell she is one of the more highly ranked characters) but I'd like for him to tone down the comments, stay away from the rule 34 stuff, and just stop obsessing over her. He did something even better- he switched characters! Now his main character is luigi from mario bros. I doubt he's going to go crazy over luigi so we're all good now! Thanks reddit, have a nice weekend!

man there is no way this post is real, I don't know, maybe it's the part where she specifically mentions rule 34 but I feel like that is not common enough slang and also this guy sounds too shameless to be real

i'm giving gamers way too much credit, aren't i?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh, God, I was going to make an Overwatch joke, but that dude's a competitive Smash Brothers guy, which is somehow weirder.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

My [23 F] boyfriend [24 M] is attracted to a video game character and it's creepy. Not sure what to do about this.

UPDATE- I talked to him about this for the last 10 minutes and it actually went really well. I told him very directly that his obsession with samus is unattractive, gross, and creepy. I told him I felt very uncomfortable with the incessant comments he makes about a fictional character's sex appeal. I told him he took his attraction to her way too overboard. And he actually agreed. He admitted it was creepy and weird. I told him I don't mind him playing with samus (from what I can tell she is one of the more highly ranked characters) but I'd like for him to tone down the comments, stay away from the rule 34 stuff, and just stop obsessing over her. He did something even better- he switched characters! Now his main character is luigi from mario bros. I doubt he's going to go crazy over luigi so we're all good now! Thanks reddit, have a nice weekend!

lmao literally can't trust himself not to creep over samus so he had to switch. Also I thought this was gonna be another overwatch post until I remembered how unstable the smash community has literally always been.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's a topic change because the thread is really boring when one poster decides to make a bunch of "theme" posts:

My [23f] wife did some fairly nasty things during a short separation we had while dating. I [23m] don't feel great about it.

quote:

Hey everyone. My wife and I have been together since we were 16 years old. I was her first boyfriend and she was my first girlfriend. We are both from a smaller town but moved into a city together for university, lived together during, graduated together, and now we're both working in a completely different big city.

Since we started dating we seldom had any problems. However, during our last year of university (age 21), my wife (girlfriend at the time) started voicing concerns about how I would be the only guy she ever dated when we got married. We had a loose-ish plan to finish school and then get married, and until that moment I had no idea she ever wanted to date other people. I told her I was against the idea of an open relationship. We put the matter to rest, and then three weeks later she told me she wanted to "take a break." I told her at the time that if she broke up with me, our relationship was over. I said that she could do whatever or whoever she wanted, but we were done and I didn't want her back for doing this to me. I asked if that's what she wanted. She cried and said she just wasn't ready to decide on a marriage partner. She left to live with her aunt a few miles away and I was alone in the apartment.

I spent the next four days of my life crushed. I probably ate around 300 calories in that whole period of time. I slept all day watching Netflix and not enjoying a second of my life.

On the fifth day my girlfriend came home. It was like something out of a sappy romantic comedy. It was raining and she was crying with a packed bag. She asked if she could come back in. I said yes because nothing else mattered at that point.

Things calmed down. A couple of days later I asked her if anything happened during our break. She said in a hardy-har sarcastic manner, "Oh yeah, there was that threesome." We both laughed and I thought I was ridiculous for asking.

We had a wedding. Lots of flowers. Lots of guests. Friends and family.

It's been six months since. A few days ago we went out with a couple of friends, an engaged couple, and were talking. I never really met them alone but we sometimes go out. During dinner, the girls went to the bathroom together and I was left with the guy. He nervously leaned in and said "Listen man I don't know if you know this or not, but did you know your wife fooled around behind your back before?" I almost hit him despite the fact that he could kill me with his left pinky. He told me then that his fiancee was talking about it, as she heard it from my wife.
I'm quiet the rest of the dinner. I don't respond when spoken to and everything goes on without me. Eventually I nudge my wife and look at the door. We go.

In the car, I ask my wife if she's ever cheated on me. "Uh... no?" she says. Of course she wouldn't do that.

I get home and send the guy who told me that a really nasty Facebook message. He responds by apologizing, but insists it was true. He then sends me a picture that almost makes me vomit: two Jersey Shore looking fucks standing next to my wife at a party, each one cupping one of her breasts while she makes a surprised face.

I call her over immediately. I shout in her face "What the gently caress is this?" She looks at the computer and says "Oh, that." "Yes, that, you loving slut" I yell loudly enough for the neighbors to hear.
"We were on break. And I told you about it."

It all comes together. She never technically had an affair. She never touched another guy while we were dating. But during that four day break I talked about earlier? Well, the details start coming out now. She said it was a one time thing, a MMF threesome that she had at a party. And she told me. She just told me in a way that sounded like sarcasm. But she says she was being sincere.

I ask for details. At this point I think my behavior is self-harming because I want to be angry. I ask what they did to her. She names the positions (spit roasting, blowjobs, and more). I ask if they wore condoms. She says of course. I ask if they finished in her mouth (she loves the taste/texture). She says "face" nonchalantly. I ask if she enjoyed it. She says it was good enough. I leave and stay at a friend's house that night.

Now I don't know what to do. This is the only woman I ever loved, the only woman I ever wanted to be with, but I can't bear the thought of her bending rules like she did. I honestly think she's a psychopath who planned the whole thing just like that and I need to get out. I told her I regret marrying her over the phone earlier and she seemed really hurt by it. Now she's begging me to come home so we can work it out.

TL;DR: Wife and I were on a break. She fooled around but didn't technically cheat. Will I regret leaving her?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
r/relationship_advice

[30/f]Punched in the back for turning off husbands video game [36/m]

u/throwaway533312y

My husband of 9 years plays console video games non-stop and has for many years. Today I got home after another long day of tending to the children alone and he was playing. I told him to move it out of the bedroom because I was tired of hearing it all day. Its a very loud explosion and shooting game. I was basically told to gently caress off that I'm not his mother, so I lost my temper and turned off the console. He lost it, because he was in the middle of a round or something, and punched me in the back hard, right in front of our 6 year old son. I told him I was leaving, and he said if I tried to leave with the kids he would call the cops. I didn't want anything else to happen with the kids there so I just said ok. Now I'm sitting here confused and feeling hurt and have no clue what to do. How could a game make him react like that?

ETA: I had a long while to stare at the ceiling and think last night. Many of you have said exactly what I needed to hear, that being in a situation like this is of no benefit to my kids, and won't change. Him punching made me realize not only how he truly feels about us, but also the status of our relationship overall. I am incredibly afraid to be a single mum but others have done it and I can also. I am leaving this week during the day while he is at work to avoid any confrontations. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How important is it for your girlfriend to play video games?

u/casper3336y

My girlfriend doesn't play video games. I do. We've been together over three years, and lately I find myself playing them more. I'm also getting into graphic novels. She wants nothing to do with any of it.

She thinks I'm not into her, but we have a really good sex life. Sex is like the only thing we have at the moment.

I'm willing to try some stuff she wants us to do, which includes yoga and couples dancing classes, but I'm conflicted regarding what to do.

I am getting frustrated because she isn't a part of the community of gamers/nerds that I am, and I feel like I have to dramatically cut back the time I spend with them so that I can spend more time with her.

I'm close to telling her that I'm not into her, and that I really need a girl that plays video games.

Is anyone that's in a mixed relationship (nerd/non-nerd) have any advice?

I'm really upset.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Andrast posted:

You can get away with liking "kid things" as an adult though. You just have to be a well adjusted person and not have that be your whole personality defining thing.

I think you'd be surprised at the kinds of things people will complain about or give you a hard time over. It's way less common with millennials, but gen-Xers really don't seem to get it and boomers only seem to let it go because they don't care anymore.

I mean, look at how people reacted to Pokemon Go. :shrug: It's a generational thing I think.

Antivehicular posted:

I don't really get why you wouldn't just message him with "hey, it's (Girlfriend), I'm gonna try and learn this game, want to help?", or just talk to him out of game about it, but... still, so awful.

i imagine she probably would have as soon as she figured out he didn't know it was her but the relentless misogyny probably piqued her curiosity more than anything and she had to maintain the farce

100% a reason to exit the relationship and she should make sure he knows why on the way out, lol. What's his excuse - "I didn't know it was you!" ? She knows what he really thinks about women now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mixed relationship (nerd/non-nerd)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ride the Gravitron I'm convinced you're deliberately attempting to start another video game derail

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
BF's video game habit is starting to cause problems

u/throwaway55425y

My boyfriend and I have been together for a few months and things have been fine. I don't care if he plays video games and I've never had a problem with what he does in his free time until recently.

He plays for several hours every day. He doesn't have a job, but we're both in college. Now that spring semester has started his usual schedule is to play video games until he has to go to class then return home right after class is over and playing video games until he goes to sleep. He plays these video games with his real life friends.

When we hang out at his house, he plays video games for almost the entire time except for maybe an hour or two where we'll watch TV or a movie together.

All of this I can put up with.

The part I can't put up with is this: he'll take short breaks from his gaming when his friends go to get food/drinks/whatever and expect me to want to give him a blow job or engage in other sexy activities with him. If I say no he just shrugs his shoulders and returns to the game. If I say yes then he leaves ventrilo on so all his friends are still talking which is a huge turnoff.

It's gotten to the point where I haven't wanted to do anything sex related with him for two weeks. I don't even want to bother "hanging out" with him because what that really translates to is "watch him play video games and try to have sex with me when it's convenient for him."

I've told him that I am turned off by him trying to initiate anything when he's clearly just using the break given to him by his friends in the video game. He told me if I suggested other activities for us to do he'd stop playing and we could do that, but when I suggest something he says no without considering it.

What should I do?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

WampaLord posted:

Here's a topic change because the thread is really boring when one poster decides to make a bunch of "theme" posts:

My [23f] wife did some fairly nasty things during a short separation we had while dating. I [23m] don't feel great about it.

Ouch. I mean, she did tell him what her plan was and what had happened, but it'd still suck to hear. I'm not sure what people delude themselves into thinking happens when couples go on a break, but it is always loving other people.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

:sever:

I will never understand the people who "take a break" for a week and go out and gently caress as many people as they can

In the case of this story it sounds like she just wanted to cheat on her boyfriend guilt free after he said no to an open relationship. That's lovely and manipulative and the fact that she doesn't even feel bad would lead me to believe it's going to happen again and again as long as this guy is enough of a doormat to let it go. "I didn't have an affair!" "I didn't cheat!" she says - after her boyfriend specifically told her if she wanted to have that level of freedom, their relationship was over. Joking about the threesome isn't an admission, it's a way to feel like you told the truth instead of actually telling the truth.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Leon Einstein posted:

Ouch. I mean, she did tell him what her plan was and what had happened, but it'd still suck to hear. I'm not sure what people delude themselves into thinking happens when couples go on a break, but it is always loving other people.

Seriously if, heaven forbid, my partner and I take a break I'm gonna make sure we're really loving explicit about what is cool and not cool on the break

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

WampaLord posted:

I'll agree with this, in the sense of if someone actually calls themselves a "gamer" that is a big :redflag: or if they are otherwise obsessed with video games.

If you try to only date people who literally never play games, well, good luck with that.

no. literally never date someone who has played a videogame.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

no. literally never date

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mfcrocker posted:

Seriously if, heaven forbid, my partner and I take a break I'm gonna make sure we're really loving explicit about what is cool and not cool on the break

He absolutely did though:

quote:

I told her at the time that if she broke up with me, our relationship was over. I said that she could do whatever or whoever she wanted, but we were done and I didn't want her back for doing this to me. I asked if that's what she wanted. She cried and said she just wasn't ready to decide on a marriage partner. She left to live with her aunt a few miles away and I was alone in the apartment.

That's what's really hosed up about this. She knew the one thing that was absolutely a deal breaker was her loving somebody else - they'd already had the open relationship argument. To him, a break was "some time apart for breathing room" - her loving other people would have been a break-up. She said she didn't want a break-up, but she still hosed other people. :shrug:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

no. literally never date someone who has played a videogame.
That pretty much limits you to octogenarians.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mirthless posted:

He absolutely did though:

That's what's really hosed up about this. She knew the one thing that was absolutely a deal breaker was her loving somebody else - they'd already had the open relationship argument.

And then he hosed up by taking her back after promising he wouldn't.

I'm also not a fan of someone who defaults to "Yes, you loving slut!" when stuff like this comes up. They're both bad, but her move of "jokingly" admitting to the threesome took a lot of gall.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol at these women who just let their guys play games for hours and hours and completely ignore them. if you have a girl, you pay attention to her and that means cutting back on your gaming. or you can just not have a girl. why is this so hard?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

I'm also not a fan of someone who defaults to "Yes, you loving slut!" when stuff like this comes up. They're both bad, but her move of "jokingly" admitting to the threesome took a lot of gall.

I think "you loving [term for someone who has no sexual standards]" is a pretty appropriate emotional response to somebody who got into a gangbang during a four day break from your relationship after you made it specifically clear monogamy was important to you

He probably wouldn't have taken her back if he'd known what her definition of a short break was

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
She [22/f] thinks my [26/m] hobbies are useless and garbage. roughest fight we've had. Is there a way to meet halfway?

u/chestaf3d

So context on what happened with me first to help understand what led to the moment of the fight. Also, TL:DR at the bottom below my question.

I recently moved to Vancouver, BC all by myself because I'm chasing job experiences and the job also had really good pay. For those of you who don't know, Vancouver is pretty drat expensive to live in. I believe it's the most expensive place to live in, in all of Canada. I used to live at home with my parents in Kamloops where my GF lived as well, in her own apartment. I have been working at this new place for about 8-9 months. Ever since I've moved here, a few things happened. 1) I started renting an apartment 2) I got my first newly owned car 3) I started eating/cooking healthier 4) I started exercising more. So with all this combined with me living on my own the first time, I believe it's understandable why it's hard to save when I don't have a career yet.

I'm also an avid gamer. I like to follow games and do research before making my purchases both on PS4 and my gaming rig.

So anyways, fast forward to Tuesday, January 3, 2017. I had time off from work so I visited my gf and my family in my home town. I spent money on food and clothes for my gf and had a good time. Saturday the 7th, I came back to Vancouver and when I arrived, I noticed my car was vandalized. My windshield wipers were bent while one was snapped in half and my side doors were key'd on both sides.

I explained that I had to pay $500 deductible as well as an increase in my premium from $210 to $311 monthly because of a hiccup with the insurance broker who initially sold me my insurance. This basically meant that I could not save any money for this month since the money I planned on putting aside is going to my deductibles and to the increase in my premium. So while I was walking around and about, I stumbled upon EB games and found out 4 games I was tracking over the years. Those 4 games are : For Honor, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Mass Effect Andromeda. I told my gf these are the only 4 games I have been looking forward to this year and that I plan to purchase them.

She then went on a crazy rant about how my hobby of being a video gamer is trash, useless and garbage. My gf isn't as much of a gamer as I am, as you can tell from her language. She plays League of Legends casually and that's about all the "gaming" she does.

At first I was ok with her insulting my gaming and I tried explaining to her that you can't assess the value of gaming the same way as you do clothes or other materialistic things. Clothes, houses, cars and other things. When you buy those things, you make a 1 time purchase and use them for who knows how long right? I tried explaining that video games are entirely different. You pay to experience the emotion and the hardwork developers put into the games. You get to experience living inside someone else's shoes and seeing a different world and enjoy things that aren't possible in real life.

She however kept saying "you're useless, and you'll never amount to anything" despite me trying to explain that I have been financially stable without the support of my family and my gf. My older brother in Calgary is being supported heavily by my parents and my younger brother in Burnaby is being spoon fed money and food. I have also started living healthier working towards the goal of working for RCMP or Calgary Police.

Despite me presenting these points, she still kept raging about how useless my hobby is and that she doesn't care if I'm happy with my video gaming or not.

This triggered me and rubbed me the wrong way. when I get mad, I start swearing and saying names. I understand this is not healthy nor is it a good way to vent anger. I called her things that I shouldn't have out of anger and I have now deactivated my facebook and have gone social media quiet to calm my nerves.

My question is this, do any of you think that I still have a chance to fix this relationship? Is it worth fixing a relationship where neither of us see eye to eye when it comes to hobbies?

TL:DR my gf thinks my hobbies are garbage. I blew up and called her names and swore. now we're on a break / maybe on the verge of break up. need advice.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

WampaLord posted:

She passed it off as a joke, not as a serious, real thing she did. If she said, "no really, I had a threesome at a party our mutal friends were at, we were on break, and I feel i that i did not cheat on you, how do you want to handle this?" and he still married her, than yes, he's an idiot. Instead she we "lol not much happened just a cahrayzay threesome lmao" and hoped no one would ever tell him. Drama happens in relationships, and people do not always literally mean everything they say, or change their minds, especially once you semi-break up and both regret it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, it's a stretch to say this was a properly agreed-upon break. They broke up and he took her back 4 days later

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

She [22/f] thinks my [26/m] hobbies are useless and garbage. roughest fight we've had. Is there a way to meet halfway?

u/chestaf3d

So context on what happened with me first to help understand what led to the moment of the fight. Also, TL:DR at the bottom below my question.

TL:DR my gf thinks my hobbies are garbage. I blew up and called her names and swore. now we're on a break / maybe on the verge of break up. need advice.

this post reads like this guy is developmentally disabled in some way and this:

quote:

I have also started living healthier working towards the goal of working for RCMP or Calgary Police.

you're an out of shape 26 year old dude who plays video games all day, this ship has sailed and your girlfriend wants you to grow up and figure out what you're going to do with your life before you're 30

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I just don't get why he thought she'd remain chaste when she literally told him her agenda.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

I just don't get why he thought she'd remain chaste when she literally told him her agenda.

Because he was naive and trusted somebody he loved to not manipulate him or abuse his trust.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

this post reads like this guy is developmentally disabled in some way

Well yeah, he's a gamer

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if you're ever with someone and they admit they've played Overwatch, call the police

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My (30m) fiance (28f) offended my friends, now they're threatening to not come to the wedding.

u/gfmadethemmad1y

This all feels like the most juvenile poo poo in the world so excuse me if my tone seems annoyed. I don't know how to handle this because it's not something that's ever happened before.

Anna and I are getting married in about 6 months. We've been together for three years, met while I was in a temporary work assisgnment that became permanent. As such, my friends are all in one place, I'm in another. Anna hadn't met them until very recently.

The night was going great. We'd gone to visit together so I could introduce her and all that. Personally, I'll be honest. I've been outgrowing my friends steadily for a long time if feels like. We all met loving video games and as I grew up, I felt less of a need to hide away in the video game world. They still play games as their main/only hobbies, spending days and nights at their computers.

Anna didn't know this. She knew I used to play games a lot, and that I still do, on a very very light basis. There's so much else to do in the world that I just can't justify sitting on my rear end in front of a computer screen for hours at a time anymore. There's food to cook and eat, beers to drink, hikes to take, things to build, scarves to knit, books to read, etc. Anna doesn't have any problem with when I play a game, I might play an hour here or there.

But she also would have a problem if I sat playing a game for 6 hours a day until I finished it or anything like that. She wouldn't be interested in a relationship with me if that's how I was, and I don't blame her. It's not attractive, and I see that.

So when we were all out drinking, the subject of one of her exes comes up. I've met the guy and there was nothing terrible about him, they're still on friendly terms. But Anna jokes, "I'm glad I got out of that before I locked it down, he's 28 years old and still sits on his butt playing video games all day."

My friends were uncomfortable, but gave no indication to her that they were upset. At least not at first. She ended up making another disaparaging remark about him, lighthearted, saying that "Oh, he was just one of those guys who goes on that Reddit site all day looking at all the naked girls and arguing over who's the nerdiest. It's so sad."

It was in reference to people we wish would grow up. My friends were then pretty annoyed, I guess. I couldn't tell, and neither could Anna. In my mind, the rest of the night went fine.

After Anna and I got back home, my friends pulled me on Skype to talk so much poo poo about Anna. I was horrified, personally. They were saying really awful things about the girl I'm planning to marry. How she's so judgmental and "cunty" how she's a frigid bitch, how she must feel insecure about her own intelligence if she has a problem with nerds. The whole time I was in awe that this was happening, and when I finally made sense of them, I told them to all knock off the insults against her.

Then they said "You're picking some dumb blonde chick over your bros." and that's when they said that if I dont have her apologize for offending them, they aren't coming to the wedding.

I'm stuck between just telling them to move on with their lives and let me live my new life in peace, and wondering if there's more to this story that I didn't get. Because by all rights, saying you aren't attracted to nerdy gamers isn't offensive, at least I don't think so. Hell, I know if Anna was the type to game all day and Reddit all night, I'd be extremely turned off.

So I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

tl;dr: GF offended friends back home by insulting her ex-boyfriend, who was an avid gamer. Friends are saying it's essentially her or us, or an apology or they won't come to the wedding. I have no clue what to do.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Serious question: has anyone ever went on a break and it actually helped the relationship? I feel like anytime I read "we went on a break" it's just a prelude to a break-up or a terrible relationship

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, it's a stretch to say this was a properly agreed-upon break. They broke up and he took her back 4 days later

Literally this. He told her he'd break up with her permanently if she went out to "be free" and she chose to break up anyway, so it was kind of clear what both their intentions were. I don't think calling it a regular "break" is warranted. He ended up taking her back but she had a threesome in the meantime. I don't think her sleeping around when she's technically partnerless makes her a slut or whore or any other dumb word like that.

As for the passing off as a joke, don't forget it's the dude's version of events. Maybe she said it straightfaced but he assumed it was a joke and he then acted like it was one, and she either was relieved he didn't see it as a big deal or didn't feel like getting further into it once she saw his reaction.

Also I don't think it's fair for one partner to sit around waiting for the other partner to figure out what they want, so I don't think it's really cheating to gently caress other people during a break up. Just because they got together afterwards doesn't make her a cheater.

edit:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Serious question: has anyone ever went on a break and it actually helped the relationship? I feel like anytime I read "we went on a break" it's just a prelude to a break-up or a terrible relationship
I agree on this as well, if your relationship is bad enough that you feel like you need a "break," you may as well just break up.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, realistically there are a bunch of steps before "go on break" to take, and "just split up you dweebs" is a better suggestion anyway by that point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When fictional idiot and relationship destroyer Ross "I have a divorce attorney on retainer" Geller has a better conceptual understanding of what being on a break means you need to seriously reevaluate your life.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Normally it's just the precursor to the end of things, but yeah, sometimes both parties need to have a short time apart and get themselves in order, and start fresh. Relationships can be hard, and sometimes you need a bit to decide if its worth pursuing.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Is it cheating if she knew he was going to take her back? The whole situation just feels like it was deliberately contrived by her to absolve herself of guilt. It's about the intent, I don't know.

Clocks posted:

I agree on this as well, if your relationship is bad enough that you feel like you need a "break," you may as well just break up.

yeah, this, seriously

don't break up and get back together, and don't take "breaks". if you are the point where you desperately want to be apart and gently caress other people your relationship is over and you're just going through the motions out of convenience and comfort

(edit: obviously there are poly people and people who make open relationships work, before anyone decides to "um, actually" the "gently caress other people part". that's not who I am referring to)

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
lol oh 'gamers'. Why am I not surprised when that one guy was a competitive Smash player, the worst.
When I say my husband has seen the ugliest side of me, what I mean is he's seen "Dark Souls induced rage" side of me. We have a system with the Soulsborne games since we both love them where the ps3/4 is just basically never off, basically playing in shifts. But I don't loving suck at videogames like SOME SCRUBS I GUESS

quote:

[TX] Parent's neighbor saw me let the dog out at 3am in my underwear, now she's calling police.
I know you guys dont appreciate a lot of unnecessary detail, so I'll try to keep this brief. I'm panicking a little so excuse any typos or jumbled words.
My parents live in a big city, they have two cats and two small dogs, I'm currently petsitting for them while they're in Europe. I've been here for a week already, they'll be home next Friday.
I'm a 32F, I moved out at 18, I currently live on 16 acres about and hour and a half out of the city limits, in a town of less than 500 people. I keep to myself, as do most of my neighbors. I've lived there for 3 years now.
About half an hour ago (2am) I let my parents dogs out to potty. I opened the door and peeked my head out while they did their business. 10 minutes ago someone knocked on the front door, I peeked out and saw a woman in a robe, so I answered. She went off on me, yelling that her son saw me completely naked in the window, and I was obviously a perv trying to flash them. I told her she was nuts I was just in my underwear (tank top and panties), and I peeked out for all of 30 seconds. She stomped off and told me she's calling the police. I think she actually will. I'm waiting for the cops to show up at the door and I'm equal parts angry and nervous.
My questions are:
Was I technically flashing or being obscene? Should I call an attorney first thing in the morning? Am I going to be somehow removed from my parents home?
EDIT:
She loving called the cops, they knocked on my front door about 30 minutes ago, scared the poo poo out of me and the dogs. I'm always polite to cops no matter what, I've never had any bad experiences, but this guy was an rear end in a top hat. Told me that he'd let me off with a "warning" whatever that means, and I needed to put some clothes on if I want to keep my blinds open. Whatever, Mrs. Stepford seemed happy so I'm forgetting about it and going to bed. Thanks for the advice everyone

Imagine being this tightly wound

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

54 40 or gently caress posted:

lol oh 'gamers'. Why am I not surprised when that one guy was a competitive Smash player, the worst.
When I say my husband has seen the ugliest side of me, what I mean is he's seen "Dark Souls induced rage" side of me. We have a system with the Soulsborne games since we both love them where the ps3/4 is just basically never off, basically playing in shifts. But I don't loving suck at videogames like SOME SCRUBS I GUESS

Imagine being this tightly wound

lol not only is it not illegal in texas to let your dogs out in your underwear, as long as you're on your own property ANYWHERE MEN CAN LEGALLY GO SHIRTLESS you're not required to wear a shirt (male or female) and there's been at least one supreme court case about the specific legality of strutting around your house in the buff - it's completely legal, if someone wants to look in your window they're violating your privacy to offend themselves. It's one thing if you're deliberately flashing people but there's nothing illegal about walking around your home nude.

edit: Holy poo poo Texas is one of the four most progressive states in the country for female nudity, it's completely legal to go topless anywhere in texas men can

just some rear end in a top hat cop on a power trip telling a woman what she can do with her body

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 13, 2017

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Well yeah, he's a gamer

Yes, I think the obsessive gamer to the detriment of relationships trope has been thoroughly covered. Knock off the vidya gamez dumps.

A few pages back, I can't get over the phrasing in the murder house story. OP states his grandpa 'discovered' he was too old and had to be put in a home.

I'm still hung up on g-pa suddenly realizing one day, 'poo poo, I got old!'

Happens to us all, mate.

Also, I don't particularly like the word 'slut' and never use it but to be quite frank, getting spit roasted by a couple of Jersey Bros is just about the sluttiest thing on the planet.

This thread has gotten so fast lately! Even farther back, that girl who doesn't want to tell her dad and brother she has a boyfriend because then they'd assume she was getting penetrated and that would be 'girly'....

There it is kids, actual real life internalized misogyny.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

tactlessbastard posted:

Yes, I think the obsessive gamer to the detriment of relationships trope has been thoroughly covered. Knock off the vidya gamez dumps.

A few pages back, I can't get over the phrasing in the murder house story. OP states his grandpa 'discovered' he was too old and had to be put in a home.

I'm still hung up on g-pa suddenly realizing one day, 'poo poo, I got old!'

Happens to us all, mate.

Also, I don't particularly like the word 'slut' and never use it but to be quite frank, getting spit roasted by a couple of Jersey Bros is just about the sluttiest thing on the planet.

This thread has gotten so fast lately! Even farther back, that girl who doesn't want to tell her dad and brother she has a boyfriend because then they'd assume she was getting penetrated and that would be 'girly'....

There it is kids, actual real life internalized misogyny.

I imagine with grandpa now that his wife passed he realized how much harder it is to live independently. Happens a lot when one spouse dies after being together for so long. Plus, id also probably come to that realization given the nature of it :stare:

Agreed to the internalized misogyny, that story is fuuuuuucked

Mirthless posted:

lol not only is it not illegal in texas to let your dogs out in your underwear, as long as you're on your own property ANYWHERE MEN CAN LEGALLY GO SHIRTLESS you're not required to wear a shirt (male or female) and there's been at least one supreme court case about the specific legality of strutting around your house in the buff - it's completely legal, if someone wants to look in your window they're violating your privacy to offend themselves. It's one thing if you're deliberately flashing people but there's nothing illegal about walking around your home nude.

edit: Holy poo poo Texas is one of the four most progressive states in the country for female nudity, it's completely legal to go topless anywhere in texas men can

just some rear end in a top hat cop on a power trip telling a woman what she can do with her body
In this day and age?! I never!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Mirthless posted:

just some rear end in a top hat cop on a power trip

Business as usual, then.