Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

trash person posted:

Bomberman is going to have online play right?

I assumed but then remembered Nintendo

I kind of doubt it. I don't think online is ready or will be until Splatoon is ready. Even their new IP ARMS they said will have online "eventually" so I don't think they have any of that working yet, or until June. If Bomberman does have online I don't think it will work until at least then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Amazon has a little disclaimer stating the sold out their initial stock and are getting more in soon so my guess is that nintendo is drip-feeding the pre-order allotment based on demand (which is smart)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jimmy Hats posted:

Iterating on success for more success is a good thing you bozos

Yes. Mario Galaxy 2 is amazing, Majora's Mask was amazing. I hope to god they make a Breath of the Wild 2 because it would be loving fantastic to have a Zelda game not take 5 years.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Yes. Mario Galaxy 2 is amazing, Majora's Mask was amazing. I hope to god they make a Breath of the Wild 2 because it would be loving fantastic to have a Zelda game not take 5 years.

Yeah both of your examples are far and beyond better than their predecessors

See also Metroid Prime 2 > 1, F-Zero GX > X, Perfect Dark > Goldeneye, etc.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Thank you Switch thread. Super informative.

I will be looking forward to Switching it up (tm) come March if I can secure one!

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

BambooEarpick posted:

So, just to make it clear, what will I need to enjoy this system? I will have to buy the system (obvs), games completely separate, a memory card, pro-controller, USB-C charger and external battery packs? Is this correct?

To add to what other people were saying, I was looking at buying a pro-controller at launch but there have been a lot of people I trust saying that the joycons are actually really comfortable controllers. D-pad isn't all that great but unless you know you need a traditional one I wouldn't instant buy a pro-controller without trying the one you get first.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yea in short, you're going to be paying at least 500 dollars to enjoy this system fully the first month

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

welcome to consoles

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gentleman Baller posted:

To add to what other people were saying, I was looking at buying a pro-controller at launch but there have been a lot of people I trust saying that the joycons are actually really comfortable controllers. D-pad isn't all that great but unless you know you need a traditional one I wouldn't instant buy a pro-controller without trying the one you get first.

I cancelled my Pro Controller preorder in favour of another set of Joycons.
If the Joycons prove to be super unusable, doubtful, I'll grab a pro controller.

The beauty of the joycons is that you get 2 controllers for the price of 1

1 very very expensive controller with no charging dock included by default :negative:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm curious if Iwata would have kept the price down / bundled controllers + charging grips together / included a pack in game.

Good ol Iwata. Gonna miss ya buddy :rip:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really don't think you need a pro controller, at least not until Splatoon comes out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Junkie Disease posted:

yeah DQH is Omega Force Copy and paste lazy. I have a feeling the 4 player mode is also boss rush only. With the flattest level designs outside 8 bit!

The worst post ive read in this thread. Dqh is god tier and you are totally wrong about the sequels mp.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Sidebar question here but has anyone sold their wii system and all their accessories lately? Looks like they still hold some value and wanted to ask before I offloaded them on CL and picked up babby's first 3DS XL

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Sidebar question here but has anyone sold their wii system and all their accessories lately? Looks like they still hold some value and wanted to ask before I offloaded them on CL and picked up babby's first 3DS XL

I traded in my WiiU+13 games for $320 AUD

1st party Nintendo games hold their value.
3rd parties not so much.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't think I ever heard or saw how to charge the joycons. Do they charge while attached and docked?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Calaveron posted:

I don't think I ever heard or saw how to charge the joycons. Do they charge while attached and docked?

I believe so.

Worst part is if you order a second set, you also need to buy a charging grip if you want to charge to sets at the same time.

Nintendo are really gouging on accessories this time around, which I don't really agree with.
Still remember Wii controllers being expensive as balls though, so I'd like to see a cost comparison between the 2 and how they stacked up.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Jimmy Hats posted:

See also Metroid Prime 2 > 1

no

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Calaveron posted:

Yes.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Like most people I never bought a WiiU so I'm looking forward to MK8.

Also Splatoon 2 as it looks like goofy fun.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

I mean the first game is nice and all but the second has much better items and a better difficulty curve.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD Remaster on the Switch is a game I would be willing to pay good money for.

Would be willing to pay BETTER money for Metroid Prime 4

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jimmy Hats posted:

I mean the first game is nice and all but the second has much better items and a better difficulty curve.

Prime 2 is bad.

Infinitum posted:

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD Remaster on the Switch is a game I would be willing to pay good money for.

:same:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The second prime is such a loving slog and makes exploring actively harmful to you as well as having just a poo poo ton of unnecessary backtracking for its own sake, and having to pick up ammo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Think my mate bought the 2nd one when we were living together, so I only remember playing a little bit of it.

I seem to recall the shadow/light energy drain mechanic being dumb as gently caress to deal with.

Prime 1 was genre redefining.
Prime 3 was just rock solid.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do we know if the switch supports USB Power Delivery?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
prime 2's dark world only hurts you if you're a bumbling bozolord and can't Go Fast

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

Do we know if the switch supports USB Power Delivery?

Well the WiiU did, so it'd be a step backwards if the Switch Dock didn't allow you to charge controllers via the USB connections

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Man the box the Switch comes in is going to be so small!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So if I plug it directly without docking it will it still charge the joycons?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

univbee posted:

Disc playback isn't worth the trouble including the licensing requirements (which is why the Wii and Wii U don't do it despite having a technically capable drive, and the Xbox One won't play discs if your internet or Xbox Live are down), not when if you're one of those weirdos who plays discs you can get a $20 dedicated player from WalMart.

There's a lot of hubbub in this thread, but the disc shaming, my word.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

hahaha what the gently caress dvd playback

why couldn't the wii play vhs????

It could play VHS if you cracked the firmware with some homebaked tape player code. In all seriousness, I don't expect DVD playing on my Nintendo, but people who are genuinely surprised that people watch vintage media must not be big cinema fans. Plus they keep removing stuff from netflix. You darn kids getting all jacked in, then they take Murder She Wrote off of streaming, what then?? This happened too! Anarchy

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Infinitum posted:

Well the WiiU did, so it'd be a step backwards if the Switch Dock didn't allow you to charge controllers via the USB connections

USB Power Delivery is a new protocol that allows devices to negotiate how much power one feeds the other. USB 2.0 was good for 2.5 watts, USB 3.0 default for 4.5, USB Battery Charging for 7.5; USB-PD is up to 100 watts, or practically limited by the equipment involved.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Prime 2 is bad.

Subprime.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Man the box the Switch comes in is going to be so small!

Well have a look for yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadzCB3CLlI&t=5279s

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Calaveron posted:

So if I plug it directly without docking it will it still charge the joycons?

I'm pretty sure the joycons charge while connected to a Switch that is plugged into the wall.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nintendo is not having pro controllers available in na for launch. Item not even listed in any retailers systems. Hope i dont miss out when they finally go on sale and all get bought up :pray:

Pyswagoras posted:

I'm pretty sure the joycons charge while connected to a Switch that is plugged into the wall.

Yeah also you can buy a 3rd party charge stand

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Infinitum posted:

As long as Nintendo are getting old dev teams back together

Reform the RARE devs and Blast Corp 2 kthx

Nintendo get Capcom to make Demon's Crest 2 and re release Power Stones 1&2

Also get Sega to Ristar 2 and Saturn Classics with Virtual On, Clockwork Knight, and Astal in it.

Thanks in advance Nintendo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goddamn I am excited for the Switch. I am not excited about the prices on all this poo poo. Like, I'm 20% towards cancelling and waiting for the 2nd gen that they will inevitably release.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

waiting for the 2nd gen that they will inevitably release.

The Nintendo Switch U To A Better Console

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Huh would you look at that, about the same size as the Wii box :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Huh would you look at that, about the same size as the Wii box :cool:

Teah the dock and console need to be packed in separate compartments.

• Locked thread