Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Powaqoatse posted:

The linked Swedish article has a followup:
http://www.hallandsposten.se/nyheter/laholm/polisen-utreder-inte-stinkande-h%E4mndfis-1.307100

Rough translation:

(man it's kinda hard to translate between two second languages)

I love stupid Swedish news. Decent translation, although I think "brakfis" is better translated as "a crashing fart" rather than a "stinking cheese". And the sole reason I know this offhand is due to translating Joyce's letters into Swedish for the world's dumbest avant-garde play ever conceived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

But how would a man who wasn't supposed to have guns get guns?! This guy sounds like bad news all around.
I strongly recommend watching the documentary series "The Wire," which gets into the gritty details about life in Baltimore.

Hedningen posted:

I love stupid Swedish news. Decent translation, although I think "brakfis" is better translated as "a crashing fart" rather than a "stinking cheese". And the sole reason I know this offhand is due to translating Joyce's letters into Swedish for the world's dumbest avant-garde play ever conceived.

:frogon:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hedningen posted:

Hahahah, I'd love to read the Swedish fart letters! but yeah I read it as analogous to Danish "brandskid" (burn-fart)

I had to look up English fart synonyms though, cause I completely blanked. Ended up writing "cheeser" but I guess I got autocorrected or forgot the r or something. Thanks though!

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Translation aside, "Stinking Cheeser" sounds like it comes from the same journalistic school as those Ugandan anti-gay articles that talk about "Monster Whoppers" and the like.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

What's the English for a level 2 fart anyway (not a shart, just a really loud/smelly fart)? I'm sure there is one, but I just can't recall any good words. Danish has like a "scale" of prut (normal) / skid (loud and/or smelly + brandskid for emphasis), and then outside of that there's all the weird phrase-based ones & the like.

I mean poo poo like this is pretty much all "funny" phrases:
http://www.heptune.com/fartword.html

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

What's the English for a level 2 fart anyway (not a shart, just a really loud/smelly fart)? I'm sure there is one, but I just can't recall any good words. Danish has like a "scale" of prut (normal) / skid (loud and/or smelly + brandskid for emphasis), and then outside of that there's all the weird phrase-based ones & the like.

I mean poo poo like this is pretty much all "funny" phrases:
http://www.heptune.com/fartword.html

Has it occurred to you that maybe this is a peculiarity of Danish? :psyduck:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Has it occurred to you that maybe this is a peculiarity of Danish? :psyduck:

No way! Swedish has fart levels too. Oh also there's a level 0 too, so: fis / prut / skid is the basic scale.

And actually English has a level 0 too in "poot" & its like

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It makes sense. English has 'burp' and 'belch' to describe light and heavy ructus, there should be an equivalent for flatus.

There's regional words like 'toot' and 'ripper' that most english speakers would understand as referring to different levels, but they're not common parlance.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

No way! Swedish has fart levels too. Oh also there's a level 0 too, so: fis / prut / skid is the basic scale.

And actually English has a level 0 too in "poot" & its like

Swedish and Danish aren't really separate languages, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Swedish and Danish aren't really separate languages, though.

I don't really disagree, but they're only so mutually intelligible. They're further apart than any two big English dialects at least. Way easier to read than hear, but with practice it's no problem.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Not really any term, no. Despite the common Germanic heritage, English missed out on those words in common parlance, so instead just uses modifying adjectives.

As to the play mentioned earlier: anything you think of is probably more interesting. Colleague was big into fringe production/self-reflective performance, and wanted to highlight the common stream-of-consciousness ties between James Joyce and Knut Hamsun. As the only person they knew with Nordic language experience, I got paid a couple six packs to translate the fart-letter and render it phonetically for a reader. The whole script was just a mishmash of aping literary technique in a "isn't this clever and intentionally weird!" kind of way.

The beer was at least decent.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RandomFerret posted:

It makes sense. English has 'burp' and 'belch' to describe light and heavy ructus, there should be an equivalent for flatus.

There's regional words like 'toot' and 'ripper' that most english speakers would understand as referring to different levels, but they're not common parlance.

Maybe it's like the "Eskimos have 50 words for snow" thing, passing gas is an important part of Danish culture so they need more fart words.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Welp, I suppose I should be pleased, then. Usually it seems like English has more weirdly specific variant words than Danish. Until now, the only group of words I knew where ours were more detailed than yours was family relations (we have separate words for male/female couins, paternal/maternal grandparents, biological/in-married aunts & uncles, etc). But now I know that English fart-words too are sorely inexact!

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I feel bad for all you english speakers out there who are unable to accurately label all the different kinds of farts.

I mean what if you are hanging out with a bunch of friends and suddenly you can smell a fart but you couldn't hear it? That's a smygare (sneaker). Or one of those that just sound like an automatic soft air gun? That's a prutt.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Foxhound posted:

I feel bad for all you english speakers out there who are unable to accurately label all the different kinds of farts.

I mean what if you are hanging out with a bunch of friends and suddenly you can smell a fart but you couldn't hear it? That's a smygare (sneaker). Or one of those that just sound like an automatic soft air gun? That's a prutt.

The smell-not-hear is called an SBD "Silent, but Deadly"

The other is maybe this?

quote:

The Celestial Fart - Not to be confused with the Did An Angel Speak Fart, which is simply any loud fart in church. The Celestial Fart is soft and delicate, surprising in a boy or an adult. It is probably the most shy of all farts and might be compared with the wood thrush, a very shy bird. It does not have the sly or cunning sound of the Whisper Fart. It is just a very small clear fart with no odor at all. Very rare.

Here's comprehensive list of English fart names. I have to admit I've never given it a lot of thought, but I have used the some of the terms on this page at one time or another. It's definitely missing "Crop Duster":

http://www.fartnames.com

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Jan 17, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

flosofl posted:

The smell-not-hear is called an SBD "Silent, but Deadly"

The other is maybe this?

Here's comprehensive list of English fart names. I have to admit I've never given it a lot of thought, but I have used the some of the terms on this page at one time or another. It's definitely missing "Crop Duster":

motion to make "boomer" the synonym for a loud smelly fart

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

L0cke17 posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3515202/Man-reported-police-Sweden-doing-revenge-fart-woman-denied-sex.html
Man is reported to police in Sweden for doing a 'revenge fart' after woman denied him sex
That's some real quality writing there.

quote:

disturbed her piece of mind

farting in revenge to being denied sexual intercourse

This disappointed the man who farted - and left the flat

I could pretty much copy out any sentence at random and find six things wrong with it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

flosofl posted:

Sadly and/or proudly, I can identify that many of these are plagiarized from The Dictionary of Farts, a book that I read often as a child and still keep on my bookshelf for reference purposes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

That's some real quality writing there.

I could pretty much copy out any sentence at random and find six things wrong with it.

I thought you were dissing the goon translation at first, which seems like bad form, but it's the Daily Mail itself (of course).

canis minor
May 4, 2011

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/san-escobar-a-masterclass-in-accidental-nation-building

:v:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shikantaza posted:

RSPCA warns of false alarms after call to catch cuddly toy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38633548

eek snek

quote:

A welfare officer was called to help a collapsed horse but instead found only a pile of hay.

Glorious.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

This has to be the weirdest one. How the hell does anyone think Schenider's a comedian? :psypop:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tell that to the poor Koopalings who routinely get stomped on, burned, and dumped into lava. Poor Roy has to take medicine to calm down enough to sleep. :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Screaming Idiot posted:

Tell that to the poor Koopalings who routinely get stomped on, burned, and dumped into lava. Poor Roy has to take medicine to calm down enough to sleep. :(

The Koopalings aren't his kids, though.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
They aren't?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phimosissy posted:

The Koopalings aren't his kids, though.

We'll see what Maury-o has to say about that

Ugh that joke didn't feel good at all

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

This has to be the weirdest one. How the hell does anyone think Schenider's a comedian? :psypop:

I was actually just thinking the other day about how Schneider is so bad that his irritating old SNL "makin' copieeessss!" character was probably the best thing he ever did

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aesop Poprock posted:

We'll see what Maury-o has to say about that

Ugh that joke didn't feel good at all

This week on Dorkly....

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tacodaemon posted:

I was actually just thinking the other day about how Schneider is so bad that his irritating old SNL "makin' copieeessss!" character was probably the best thing he ever did

I like the Deuce Bigalow movies. :smith:

You ungrateful he-bitch.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The movie where grown men beat little kids at baseball was pretty funny too.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Solice Kirsk posted:

The movie where grown men beat little kids at baseball was pretty funny too.

Was that the movie where Rob Schneider's issue was he had a hot wife but didn't want kids because he was a bully in grade school?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rough Lobster posted:

They aren't?

I mean, they might be. Bowser seems like the sort of monarch that might have a few children he is unaware of. They never were in any official way, though, as far as I know.

Here's where some goon posts a piece of fanart sent in to Nintendo Power to prove me wrong though, probably.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phimosissy posted:

I mean, they might be. Bowser seems like the sort of monarch that might have a few children he is unaware of. They never were in any official way, though, as far as I know.

Here's where some goon posts a piece of fanart sent in to Nintendo Power to prove me wrong though, probably.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bobjr posted:

Was that the movie where Rob Schneider's issue was he had a hot wife but didn't want kids because he was a bully in grade school?

Yeah, but then they have a kid. And he brags about nailing his wife to a bunch of 10 year olds. It really is a family classic.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phimosissy posted:

They were in the NES/SNES era. And they were surprisingly insistent about it, so maybe he does have something to hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait

Morton Koopa Jr.?

Is Bowser's wife named Morton? I'm not judging, but last we checked, his name wasn't Morton and I don't think Jr. carries down from previous generations