Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

this thread in a year:

the relicbound stormbolter hits on a 4+ and wounds on a 3+, whereas the stormbound relicae hits on a 3+ and wounds on a 4+, any suggestions on which one is the better pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The barrel is slightly longer on the second option and since we measure from the closest part of the model...

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Not too worried, since 40k isn't selling so incredibly poorly as to be worth destroying its' setting in favor of one which is much more popular and sells better than that which it replaced.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Texmo posted:

Not too worried, since 40k isn't selling so incredibly poorly as to be worth destroying its' setting in favor of one which is much more popular and sells better than that which it replaced.

Either way, I'm good. I'm not a gigantic man-baby like BG though so it's all good.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 17, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Business Gorillas posted:

hello everyone i wanted to know how you are doing and what stage of grief you are in wrt 40k getting blown up

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Texmo posted:

(this post was made while standing under the rapidly growing shadow of a grand piano)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

(this post was made while standing under the rapidly growing shadow of a grand piano)

Thats cuz its sunrise.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Gathering Storm is gonna be Cool and Good.

40k's gonna wind up in a better place by 8th ed.

AoS is good now.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

wait, you're telling me that 40k (a bad game) might become... a different kind of bad game?

do tell me more about how games workshop, maker of bad games with cool miniatures, are likely to continue making bad games with cool miniatures.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
On the subject of pronunciation...

The Sex Cannon posted:

:siren: Sorry to interrupt pronunciation chat, but I just posted the new 40k Badcast! :siren:

In it, we talk Orks, Orcs, and Space Ork(c)s. You can download it from iTunes, get it from 40kbadcast.com (whenever SRM adds it to the site) or go here for a direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/40kbadcast/badcast_02_01.12.2017_FINAL.mp3

Any way you take, it, I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to continue arguing about space elfs or whatever the gently caress.

Badcast posted:

Flashjits

Badcast posted:

jits

It's a hard G. Coming from the slang for ostentatious which is "flash" and obnoxious person which is "git". No J sounds.

Otherwise, loving the podcast.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Excited to paint me some Asurmen Aesurmeni and never use him but still bring him out now and again to be proud

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

this thread in a year:

the relicbound stormbolter hits on a 4+ and wounds on a 3+, whereas the stormbound relicae hits on a 3+ and wounds on a 4+, any suggestions on which one is the better pick?

This is a silly question, provided they have the same number of attacks the Stormbound Relicae is obviously superior. With just two attacks it's twice as effective. :goonsay:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's a hard G. Coming from the slang for ostentatious which is "flash" and obnoxious person which is "git". No J sounds.

You think hearing Orks scream it over and over in the video games would clue one in...unsubscribed!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It made me so angry I had to stop the painting and listening to the podcast and get a cup of tea to steady my hands.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Cross posting from the bad thread, I am literally surprised to see them moving so fast on this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPb17XN5W0g

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Cross Post.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Expendable seems super strong, easily being able to run a charge with everything.
I only gave it a cursory once-over and didn't catch all this.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I mean just look at the hormaguant, making it a beast, making all its upgrades 2 points per model (including endless swarm), allowing them to run and charge, and they get rage?
:stonk:

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I mean just look at the hormaguant, making it a beast, making all its upgrades 2 points per model (including endless swarm), allowing them to run and charge, and they get rage?
:stonklol:

OK, I might have missed some loving crucial changes that seriously drag things into absolutely ridiculous territory. Goddamn, what would upgrades like that make Horms cost? Like under 20 points?

As for playing this in a friendly game, I'd do it if my buddy spammed Wulfen and Knights again. :colbert: Otherwise, yeah, I hadn't picked up all of how busted it is. If I had the time I'd base one on this or the Sidedisc one and nerfbat it into reasonable territory. Any time I was making rules, remembering D-flamers, Wulfen, and Wraithknights would automatically purge me of any caution, so I think the answer is to make something that's an exact copy but with this army's special rules as an option. Congrats, the Barbed Hierodule now has ranged D-guns and costs 295 points.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hormagaunts used to be beasts and it was fine. The only issue was that beasts couldn't climb stairs in that edition.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Safety Factor posted:

Hormagaunts used to be beasts and it was fine. The only issue was that beasts couldn't climb stairs in that edition.

Just like a lot of hams.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Texmo posted:

It's worth pointing out that Fantasy was only selling poorly compared to 40K. In its market it was still number 1.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

adamantium|wang posted:

It's worth pointing out that Fantasy was only selling poorly compared to 40K. In its market it was still number 1.

It's also worth pointing out, then, that being number 1 in a losing market is still a losing market.

That said, I don't know what that market looks like but I'll take an educated guess that it's not large enough to support the range and breadth of GW's fantasy line.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

adamantium|wang posted:

oh for sure, but including that fact would have made the post less effective at annoying Business Gorillas, who only comes here to sourpost about how AoS ruined his life.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

I heard it when he said it but I didn't correct him because I don't have a lot of friends, ok?

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Fluff question: I'm running a Rogue Trader campaign, and my party has picked a fight with a minor chapter of Nurgle Chaos Space Marines, specifically the Flylords Warband. Things are building towards a major space battle confrontation, so I'm wondering, fluff-wise, what chapter of Space Marines would be most likely to come to the rescue of said Rogue Traders, either out of the desire to save Imperial citizens wherever they are (unlikely) or because an Ordos Malleus Inquisitor pulled some strings and called some favors (more likely) or because they hate Nurgle CSM's with a particular burning passion (bingo). Bonus points if the Chapter has access to some fleet assets (Battlebarges, Strike Cruisers, etc). Thanks :) !

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Boon posted:

It's also worth pointing out, then, that being number 1 in a losing market is still a losing market.

That said, I don't know what that market looks like but I'll take an educated guess that it's not large enough to support the range and breadth of GW's fantasy line.

Fantasy selling well is just something salty fantasy players pulled out of their rear end, during the AoS debacle I never once saw actual sales data where Fantasy wasn't being destroyed by games like Warmachine. It was still being played and product was circulating, but that was used product. NIB sales had gone down the drain as most kits were old as gently caress and there was more product circulating in the 2nd hand market than the entire playerbase knew what to do with.

That said I think the only game at the time that was both outselling fantasy and wasn't, in my opinion, a completely different demographic was Warmachine. It was also getting destroyed by stuff like X-Wing and Heroclix but those aren't exactly things I'd view in the same category.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Fantasy didn't sell well because 8th edition was barely supported. It got better near the end, there was even a well-received multiplayer expansion, but there was a nine+ month gap between the new rulebook and the first 8th edition army book. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy at that point.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Boon posted:

What does "range and breadth" even mean? Historicals have a mind boggling array of scales, rules and army ranges within the larger community. The Perry Bros website has 18 different wars with model ranges and 38 different plastic boxes. It's two guys sculpting models (who just so happened to have sculpted a shitload of beloved GW figures). Flames of War and Bolt Action both have pretty substantial player bases and cover just about every possible configuration of WW2 combatant. How does having a "range and breadth" kill a game exactly?

I'm pretty sure GW killed fantasy by first increasing box prices and decreasing model count in the box, then released an edition that made really high model count units good, then printed books that made dark elfs the good guys, gave everything insanely broken rules, and killed a couple army books offscreen, then did nothing for 4 months while people sold their armies on eBay.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The Sex Cannon posted:

I heard it when he said it but I didn't correct him because I don't have a lot of friends, ok?

Okay, I'm going to let you off. But if either of you ever say "turrent" I swear to god I will do a rage poo poo.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
40k isn't getting the age of sigmar changes, they've even confirmed that in official channels.

They are going to streamline it a bit I would guess, maybe try to knock down the amount of books you need.

There are lots of reasons that fantasy didn't do well, and obviously a lot of it was GW's fault but the new GW seems to understand that they poo poo everywhere and at least seem to want to clean it up a bit

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
lol at people taking Games "We won't squat Brettonians" Workshop at their word when they say they're not pulling an End Times on 40k. At this point I'm watching the new releases unfold like a slow motion trainwreck, always reminding myself that hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

tallkidwithglasses posted:

What does "range and breadth" even mean? Historicals have a mind boggling array of scales, rules and army ranges within the larger community. The Perry Bros website has 18 different wars with model ranges and 38 different plastic boxes. It's two guys sculpting models (who just so happened to have sculpted a shitload of beloved GW figures). Flames of War and Bolt Action both have pretty substantial player bases and cover just about every possible configuration of WW2 combatant. How does having a "range and breadth" kill a game exactly?

I'm pretty sure GW killed fantasy by first increasing box prices and decreasing model count in the box, then released an edition that made really high model count units good, then printed books that made dark elfs the good guys, gave everything insanely broken rules, and killed a couple army books offscreen, then did nothing for 4 months while people sold their armies on eBay.

E: Misspoke and meant depth. But your post displays a stunning lack of sense. It's obvious GW doesnt have the skill and talent on staff to support the Fantasy line at that time. Ill see if I can dig up some market reports on miniature hobby gaming tomorrow, but that market, much more so the fantasy niche, is likely to be tiny and not supportive of GWs massive Fantasy collection. The broader and deeper their line, the more expensive it is to produce and maintain. Without acheiving the scale required to keep costs down the game is bound to financially falter.

At the end of the day they're a business and not a hobby manufacturer in a basement. If you want to argue that they've not done enough in the realm of marketing and 'growing the pie' you want find much argument from me - they're a horrible marketing company.

Boon fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 17, 2017

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Okay, I'm going to let you off. But if either of you ever say "turrent" I swear to god I will do a rage poo poo.

I really appreciate it officer. I swear we won't do it again.

Is "turrent" an idiot's way of saying "turret" or "torrent"?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

susan posted:

Fluff question: I'm running a Rogue Trader campaign, and my party has picked a fight with a minor chapter of Nurgle Chaos Space Marines, specifically the Flylords Warband. Things are building towards a major space battle confrontation, so I'm wondering, fluff-wise, what chapter of Space Marines would be most likely to come to the rescue of said Rogue Traders, either out of the desire to save Imperial citizens wherever they are (unlikely) or because an Ordos Malleus Inquisitor pulled some strings and called some favors (more likely) or because they hate Nurgle CSM's with a particular burning passion (bingo). Bonus points if the Chapter has access to some fleet assets (Battlebarges, Strike Cruisers, etc). Thanks :) !

If you need a random fleet of Space Marines showing up to kick rear end, save the day, and faff off, then you're looking for the Carcharodons. That's basically the entirety of what they do in the fluff. Legion of the Damned have a similar schtick but tend to explicitly help defend Imperial forces, where as the Carcharodons are pretty regularly cruising for fights with CSM.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The Sex Cannon posted:

I really appreciate it officer. I swear we won't do it again.

It is a disturbingly common way of saying and spelling "turret."

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
There's also separate thread for 40k rpg:s

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3464821&perpage=40&pagenumber=293#pti18

Marine chapters I use are usually Made up jokey ones, so Space Bears, Adeptus Janitorus or Dark Angels.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 17, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

It is a disturbingly common way of saying and spelling "turret."

I think it has something to do with spell check.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Sex Cannon posted:

Turrent is an idiot's way of saying turret; people who have never read the word, and base their spelling on whatever accent they misheard it in, or alternatively whatever accent they heard someone misspeak it in. Half the World of Tanks forum posting userbase have never used the correct spelling of the word.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

NTRabbit posted:

Turrent is an idiot's way of saying turret; people who have never read the word, and base their spelling on whatever accent they misheard it in, or alternatively whatever accent they heard someone misspeak it in.

You're describing ignorance, which happens to everyone in different ways. Idiocy is refusing to say it correctly after they've been educated.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

mango sentinel posted:

You're describing ignorance, which happens to everyone in different ways. Idiocy is refusing to say it correctly after they've been educated.

Oh they've been corrected, more times than you can count. Refusing to learn anything, ever, is a feature of not only the NA World of Tanks server, but the USA in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mango sentinel posted:

Sounds like someone used to say turrent.

• Locked thread