Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dragging him to hell obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

As I looked, behold, a whirl-
wind was coming from the north,
a great cloud with fire flashing
forth continually and a bright
light around it, and in its midst
something like glowing metal in
the midst of the fire.

5 Within it there were figures
resembling (J)four living beings
And this was their appearance:
they had human (K)form.

13 In the midst of the living
beings there was something that
looked like burning coals of
fire, like torches darting back
and forth among the living beings.
The fire was bright, and lightning
was flashing from the fire.

15 Now as I looked at the
living beings, behold, there was
one wheel on the earth beside the
living beings, for each of the four

16 The appearance of the
wheels and their workmanship was
like sparkling beryl, and all four
of them had the same form, their
appearance and workmanship being as
if one wheel were within another wheel

25 And there came a voice from
above the expanse that was over
their heads; whenever they stood still,
they dropped their wings.

26 Now above the expanse that
was over their heads there was
something resembling a throne,
like lapis lazuli in appearance;
and on that which resembled a
throne, high up, was a figure with
the appearance of a man.

27 Then I noticed from the
appearance of His loins and upward
something like glowing metal that
looked like fire all around within
it, and from the appearance of His
loins and downward I saw something
like fire; and there was a radiance
around Him.

28 As the appearance of the
rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day,
so was the appearance of the
surrounding radiance such was the
appearance of the likeness of the
glory of the LORD And when I saw it,
I fell on my face and heard
a voice speaking.

Someone was on :catdrugs:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of demons, Tonya Harding as portrayed by Margot Robbie:

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/821008892989575168

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The MSJ posted:

Harley Quinn can now bench press Batman.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
More like Tom Hardy. Jesus what a picture.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That is a sexy Tom Hardy... Another one!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mad Maxine?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The MSJ posted:

still got no booty lmao

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

now that i found out there's a woke flintstones comic i want a movie of it.

Haha, same. I was just talking about this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tiriganiaq posted:

Were the aliens in signs even antagonistic? The one that made it to tv was just hanging around in a back garden and one at some point got locked inside a room and was trying to escape. I don't even remember what the at the end of the film was doing. Was it holding the son hostage?

The one at the end attempted to murder the son with a gas it shot from its wrist but the son was having an asthma attack and didn't breathe any of it in

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought it was knockout gas and they were kidnapping people.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Probably fake, but I couldn't stop laughing at this post in the anonymous confessions thread

quote:

already written off over $100 million because of it. My confession is regarding the test screening, which I attended.

There are several major differences between the film being released tomorrow and the film we envisioned.

In the first version, the monster was so terrifying to children that it's first appearance led to constant screams, crying, several kids running out of the theater, and one child defecating on his mother's lap, which she thankfully noted on her comment card. He was basically a combination of a shark, ET, a squid, and a skull. My personal belief is that the cheap CGI turned him from "cool badass/scary" to "nightmare fuel" for kids.

There were also quite a few deaths in the original film which we cut for the same reason. The general plot is Rob Lowe is an evil oil baron, he's digging for oil and hits a nest of these monsters, they get out, and one hides in a kid's truck. The big climax was Rob Lowe steals the monster truck, the kid and the remaining monsters come to save him. There was a big action scene where the monsters break in to Rob Lowe's office tower and fight with the security guards. There's about a half dozen guys who obviously get killed in bloodless ways. Eaten in one gulp, squished under a chubby monster's butt, dissolved by an acid slime monster, pulled apart by conjoined twin monsters, etc.

We also got comments that these monsters were too scary, and I also think it's a CGI issue. We based all of them on classic monsters from the 80s and 90s- The Thing, that leech man from the X-Files, the Cryptkeeper, the Tar Man from Return of the Living Dead.... lots of cool nostalgic stuff and the designers worked hard.

Rob Lowe, since he has been a full out bad guy, gets his comeuppance by the monster truck. The monster truck crushes him in his tentacles, you see him start to be enveloped and hear some bones crunching as he screams, and the scene ends with one of Rob Lowe's eyes popping out of his skull and plopping in his martini glass. There was no blood at all, though.

At that point in the movie only about 1/10 of the kids were still watching the film, and those kids then freaked out at this scene. More comment cards with phrases like "scarred my child", "grossly inappropriate" and "violent for no reason". A few kids refused to leave the theater for fear their parents' cars would turn in to monsters.

I really wish this version of the movie came out because I think kids would really like it, although slightly older (10-12) instead of the 4-10 range the studio wants. I also think 20 and 30 somethings would go see it for the nostalgia factor from movies like Critters, Gremlins, Ghoulies, etc. Oh well. The new version is the same basic plot but the monsters are all much more rounded and cute, there's no big office building fight, and Rob Lowe just gets beat up, not killed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aliens, in general not in Signs specifically, are a modern incarnation of fairies/elves. They're a mysterious otherworldly force that is like us but different. They abduct people and like faires (and succubi/incubi, vampires, mares and shadow people) they're an attempt to explain sleep paralysis.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Aliens, in general not in Signs specifically, are a modern incarnation of fairies/elves. They're a mysterious otherworldly force that is like us but different. They abduct people and like faires (and succubi/incubi, vampires, mares and shadow people) they're an attempt to explain sleep paralysis.

Yep.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I saw Monster Trucks with my kid this weekend. It was completely innocent 90s adventure type of a movie. It was light hearted fun with really nothing offensive that was basically a combination of Free Willy, ET, and something like Clockstoppers.

The love interest wanted to jump the main characters bones more than just about any female character I'd ever seen, but all in a completely innocent "they just hold hands" way.

Rob Lowe played the villain which was a surprise to me cause he wasn't in marketing. And Tom from Reno 911 was a scientist.

It was a movie just competently made all around, a good kids film, refreshingly with just about zero edge at all.

Also this movie hates oil companies but loving looooooves oil.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

FreudianSlippers posted:

And whit out googling I just know there's fan fiction of fairies anal probing people.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

i had sleep paralysis once and i knew what was happening and i was so frightened i'd see something (it was mid day so it was bright in my room) even though i knew it wasn't real.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Groovelord Neato posted:

still got no booty lmao

She's playing a white woman in the early 90s so that's accurate.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Lobok posted:

She's playing a white woman in the early 90s so that's accurate.

1/3 of Tonya Harding's body mass in the early 90s was booty

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

FreudianSlippers posted:

why do people need stories to explain this? I glance at the description, and I think that's happened once or twice to me; I've never thought twice about it? just a part of an unremembered dream or whatever?

is this a great fear that needed an explanation to other people? How do they even know it's not random dream?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Femur posted:

why do people need stories to explain this? I glance at the description, and I think that's happened once or twice to me; I've never thought twice about it? just a part of an unremembered dream or whatever?

is this a great fear that needed an explanation to other people? How do they even know it's not random dream?

Because it feels like you're awake and when you're a peasant a few centuries ago, when magic and monsters were generally believed to be literally real, it makes sense to explain a scary experience at night where you can'T move and something scary is in the room as it being a vampire/elf/ghost/alp/mare/witch. Because those things obviously exist and you know you weren't totally asleep so it had to be real.

And of course in modern times that sort of experience morphed into it being aliens because very few people still believe vampires and/or witches actually exist but many believe in aliens.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
yeah but how do you separate that from any other dream? you can easily assume you haven't woken up yet? Are they making up stories for any of their other dreams? like dying or falling, etc, they all seem real too.

vampires are rich folks, fairies are scavengers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Robot Style posted:

The aliens are demons, and the water that hurts them is specifically Holy Water (since Gibson's character is a priest).

That's barely even a fan theory, it's just what happens.

The MSJ posted:

She looks more like if Rebel Wilson got ripped.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Femur posted:

yeah but how do you separate that from any other dream? you can easily assume you haven't woken up yet?

If you haven't experienced sleep paralysis it can be difficult to describe, but it is quite distinct from dreaming.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Femur posted:

yeah but how do you separate that from any other dream? you can easily assume you haven't woken up yet? Are they making up stories for any of their other dreams? like dying or falling, etc, they all seem real too.

man i'm kinda skeptical that you've experienced sleep paralysis before, every time i've gotten it it's felt way more emotionally distressing than 'any other dream

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's barely even a fan theory, it's just what happens.

"Fan Theory" is the new term for Subtext.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

If you haven't experienced sleep paralysis it can be difficult to describe, but it is quite distinct from dreaming.

Yeah. Knowing you can't move and there is something out there coming for you, could be puma could be a murderous madman and just lying there is a trip.

People should pay for the experience.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Robot Style posted:

"Fan Theory" is the new term for Subtext.

True.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The opening of The Happening is really well directed though. Creeping horror done well & you don't yet know that it's a comedy. Do yourself a favor and watch this clip all the way through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2f22rpTm_0

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

man i'm kinda skeptical that you've experienced sleep paralysis before, every time i've gotten it it's felt way more emotionally distressing than 'any other dream

i have a bad memory overall, i can't remember most of my childhood like at all. And I can't remember or be sure of any dream I've ever had, but reading the description when yall were discussing this, I felt that I've had that happened, and thought" this is a thing separate from dreams? "

Like how scary is it over just falling, or dying? wouldn't the residues of this be paralysis? I can't say these situations led to the paralysis cause I don't remember. the dark is scary, eerie, I can believe people made stories about creatures of the dark.

But I don't know, paralysis seems like a normal feeling that dreams can cause like any other, how can you tell you are awake and not dreaming? and believe this is the sensation that needs explanation?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Femur posted:

i have a bad memory overall, i can't remember most of my childhood like at all. And I can't remember or be sure of any dream I've ever had, but reading the description when yall were discussing this, I felt that I've had that happened, and thought" this is a thing separate from dreams? "

Like how scary is it over just falling, or dying? wouldn't the residues of this be paralysis? I can't say these situations led to the paralysis cause I don't remember. the dark is scary, eerie, I can believe people made stories about creatures of the dark.

But I don't know, paralysis seems like a normal feeling that dreams can cause like any other, how can you tell you are awake and not dreaming? and believe this is the sensation that needs explanation?

Sleep paralysis is a very specific thing that triggers a panic response because you can't move and your brain thinks there's something near or on you. It's very distinct from dreams.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Femur posted:

i mean, i'm not a brain doctor or anything but sleep paralysis is distinct from a normal dream on a neurological level; when you're experiencing it your brain is in some weird state where you are conscious but your body won't respond to commands

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sleep paralysis is a very specific thing that triggers a panic response because you can't move and your brain thinks there's something near or on you. It's very distinct from dreams.

I've experienced it. It's basically that you are conscious, you can feel your entire body, but you can't move. It's terrifying because you have this panicked feeling that it will never go away. The way I've developed to counter it is to recognize it's happening and try to fall back asleep. It really is scary though!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Femur posted:

The terror is being out of control. No way to stand up even.

In the morning you look for footprints of the madman or the puma you heard outside your door and nope.

And then thinking there is something wrong with you.

Must be demons, aliens, whatever is in fashion.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Femur posted:

Before Polidori's the Vampyre in 1819 vampires were always poor. Frequently they were outcasts and eccentrics; people who committed suicide and/or were suspected witches. You could also, reportedly, become a vampire if a cat jumped over your dead body or if a vampire had looked at your mother while she was pregnant but mostly suspected vampires were wierdos and cranks in life.

The suave aristocratic vampire of literature is an invention of the Romantics. The folkloric vampire is a ruddy and bloated diseased walking corpse.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain, vampires are bald toothless worm-infested people who farts a lot. Sounds like hobos.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What about the spaceship then

A larger demon

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Demons, like Russan nesting dolls, are internally stackable.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sleep paralysis can be weird as hell too. One time I woke up to my dad stepping on my throat with shoes on, I couldn't breathe. I realized what was going on, but even so it doesn't matter what you "know" and what you experience & also I was on so much adrenalin that for a bit I just laid there in my bedroom and cried out. That was worse than all the usual supernatural monster ones put together.

And my dad is chill as hell & he's never hurt me or anyone so far as I know, so I have no idea why my brain thought that that particular paralysis vision was a good idea.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Femur posted:

Sleep paralysis is not a dream where you can't move you're body. It's a state of, if not full awareness, at least a much greater level of awareness then you have during most dreams. You may be able to see and hear as if you were awake. More over, while you typically forget dreams after waking, I've generally found it much easier to recall the few occasions that I've had sleep paralysis.

When you have a dream where you're falling or dying, you generally wake up afterwards (or otherwise drift off into a different dream). If you have sleep paralysis, you might just be stuck on the bed for ten or fifteen minutes, or a couple hours, until your body decides it's convenient to change consciousness.

• Locked thread