Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oh, SF 2 bootlegs. I remember when these became more popular in arcades than the official SF 2

There was all kinds of great crazy stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N3kCm1YG4M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh, SF 2 bootlegs. I remember when these became more popular in arcades than the official SF 2

Haha, the nearest arcade to me has a couple "Street Fighter II" cabinets set up with a sign about how kids today need to try their skills at the "real" challenge old school gamers faced...Only the machines are actually this!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EorayMel posted:

We're going back to the prohibition era, boys.

I think...

Oh you missed the best part: the gun comes with a selection of novelty butt plugs:

Dali Parton posted:

I keep thinking this a 007 reference but then the 7 might just be the handle. But then theres this weird math equation. But the dude is in the crosshairs?

I tracked down the original blog post where these photos come from and it turns out that this weird gun toy is most likely a pirated version of an official James Bond toy gun:

(Note the similarity between the bullets and the grenades in both toys.)

Oddly enough the 007 version didn't have the huge number 7 handle.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dali Parton posted:

I keep thinking this a 007 reference but then the 7 might just be the handle. But then theres this weird math equation. But the dude is in the crosshairs?

The reboot of Math Blasters is taking a dark turn.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Fire Emblem mobile game was announced today

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

That's uh... the Beverly Hills Cop theme.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

m2pt5 posted:

That's uh... the Beverly Hills Cop theme.

It's a cover version of the Beverly Hills Cops theme by a small pantsless blue frog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTEKeUrEDjw

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Elias_Maluco posted:

The DOS one is kind of different though. Most of the Rainbow Edition style bootlegs were done by loving with the actual arcade boards. They would basically dupe the boards and the start loving with random poo poo until things happened and go from there. The DOS bootleg on the other hand was made by a bunch of Taiwanese guys ripping the sprites from a non DOS version of the game (I want to say it was for Amiga?) and then coding a totally custom engine and recording their own sound effects. I believe several of the people responsible later went on to work on the classic poo poo game Super Fighter.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is there a good book, site, YouTube series etc. all about DOS? It's such a fascinatingly janky ecosystem full of uniquely and weirdly lovely games that feel like they're barely holding themselves together, especially when compared with home consoles like the NES, and I'm curious about the technical limitations and what it was like to make games for them. Even later titles like Jazz Jackrabbit feel weird and janked up in a bunch of little ways. DOS itself feels like a bootleg ecosystem, compared to what was possible on other systems, at least in relation to a lot of games.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there a good book, site, YouTube series etc. all about DOS? It's such a fascinatingly janky ecosystem full of uniquely and weirdly lovely games that feel like they're barely holding themselves together, especially when compared with home consoles like the NES, and I'm curious about the technical limitations and what it was like to make games for them. Even later titles like Jazz Jackrabbit feel weird and janked up in a bunch of little ways. DOS itself feels like a bootleg ecosystem, compared to what was possible on other systems, at least in relation to a lot of games.

Lazy Games Reviews on Youtube has a lot of videos about DOS games, and some about the hardware and OS, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?phreakindee

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

8-Bit Guy has few DOS related videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2v7k-wAm2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's a cover version of the Beverly Hills Cops theme by a small pantsless blue frog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTEKeUrEDjw

A number-one hit on the UK singles charts for four weeks and eventually the third biggest-selling single at the end of the year.

:suicide:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was a teenager when Crazy Frog came out; mobile phones had just managed to start producing proper sounds, internet culture was barely in its infancy and people were as tasteless a bunch of braying dimwits as they ever were. It was the perfect conditions for something so utterly and completely terrible to flourish.

Also thanks for the links, I'll check them out later.

Doctor_Fruitbat has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Jan 19, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
bootlegs

bootleeeeeeegs

"WW2 China vs Japan playset"

"WW2 Villains Set"

bootleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegs

:lsd:

bootlego

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was a teenager when Crazy Frog came out; mobile phones had just managed to start producing proper sounds, internet culture was barely in its infancy and people were as tasteless a bunch of braying dimwits as they ever were. It was the perfect conditions for something so utterly and completely terrible to flourish.

Also thanks for the links, I'll check them out later.

Like the internet still wouldn't flip poo poo over Crazy Frog. Only now there would be more pictures with impact font, a Chuck Tingle book, and maybe a Facebook group called That Noise the Frog Makes.

The internet is every bit as retarded now as it was then.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Crazy Frog being driven more by ringtone advertisements on Channel 4 than by the Internet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember Crazy Frog being driven more by ringtone advertisements on Channel 4 than by the Internet.

Crazy Frog was the best selling ringtone of 2005 . Ringtone were a multi-billion dollar a year business in the late 00s and for some major labels represented over 40% of their online sales. Billboard started listing the ringtone top 40 and music award shows started giving awards for Best Ringtone. poo poo was crazy.
Apparently T-Pain's label at the time wasn't particularly interested in him but changed their minds after he sold 6.7 million ringtones.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I love space unicorn knight.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Most of the Rainbow Edition style bootlegs were done by loving with the actual arcade boards.
Polgyon's oral history of Street Fighter 2 (which was linked in the Final Fantasy megathread last week, long story) actually has a pretty sweet story about this in Chapter 4. SF2 Turbo Hyper Fighting was made faster as a direct response to people playing the pirated versions that were faster and going back to the original and realizing it felt so slow:

quote:

James Goddard:
I come back, and I spend the next few hours writing [a letter] to Japan saying Rainbow Edition is utter poo poo, utter garbage, there is no threat here, it is completely unbalanced and it's a fad. Because as a player, emotionally, that's how I felt. However, before I sent that fax off, I went into the cafeteria to play Champ Edition ...

I sit down to play [against my coworker Joel Pambid], and the weirdest thing happens. He picks Guile; I pick Zangief. I go to play, and oh my God, the game felt like it was underwater. ... I had just spent the last four to six hours playing Rainbow Edition at 25 percent speed increase, so Champ Edition felt like poo poo. It was so slow. For the next two hours, I could not shake that. And it threw my timing off. ... It was just kind of this oh my God moment where I went, "The real threat of Rainbow Edition is not all the fireballs in the air and the craziness. The threat is the speed is addicting, and it changes everything."

quote:

Tom Shiraiwa:
I think the arguments started when we saw this Chinese or Korean pirated version. The team never believed making it twice as fast would make for reasonable gameplay. "It will end up losing all the strategies." But actually trying those pirated versions told them it could be fun. That helped them to be convinced there was a need for this. And of course, we did not want some pirates to take away our potential profits.

Whole thing's a pretty good read but that's the only bit that's directly relevant to bootlegging.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Wheat Loaf posted:

A number-one hit on the UK singles charts for four weeks and eventually the third biggest-selling single at the end of the year.

:suicide:

This had to be 2005 UK's version of ironically voting for Donald Trump in 2016 US. "I'll download this song because it's so stupid and it'll piss off my friends!" "I'll vote for Trump because it's so stupid and it'll piss everyone off."

This is the reason we can't have nice things.

Captain Invictus posted:

bootlegs

bootleeeeeeegs

"WW2 China vs Japan playset"

"WW2 Villains Set"

bootleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegs

:lsd:

bootlego

I would cheerfully kill for a Lego Villains of WW2 playset.

Wait. That came out wrong. Ummmmmmmmm

The China v Japan playset makes me sad just thinking about it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I remember when Crazy Frog was a SWF containing a JPEG of a racecar with somebody making stupid noises over it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Double Punctuation posted:

I remember when Crazy Frog was a SWF containing a JPEG of a racecar with somebody making stupid noises over it.

The Insanity Test! Try not to laugh!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/Bootleg_Stuff/status/822152531128254465

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Apparently instead of comic book villains, this one is fairy tale villains banding together to save the day.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Looks pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_QcAHiLS24
Like that Once Upon a Time TV show but dumber.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SHREK SMASH PUNY DONKEY!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ringtone were a multi-billion dollar a year business

Someone got paid for turning hit songs in to beep boop single note melodies. That was someone's job.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

Looks pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_QcAHiLS24
Like that Once Upon a Time TV show but dumber.

It's probably better than Suicide Squad anyway.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wheany posted:

Someone got paid for turning hit songs in to beep boop single note melodies. That was someone's job.

Yep, he blinded us with...ringtones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5oN0xs6eNM

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

This had to be 2005 UK's version of ironically voting for Donald Trump in 2016 US. "I'll download this song because it's so stupid and it'll piss off my friends!" "I'll vote for Trump because it's so stupid and it'll piss everyone off."

This is the reason we can't have nice things.

The UK used to have loads of terrible gimmick songs get to number 1 in the charts like Barbie Girl or Mr Blobby, or childrens' songs like Bob the Builder and Tellytubbies. This abortion reached no. 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNAr5tzZxdk

Don't see it as much now (possible because online downloads count towards the chart). Ding dong the witch is dead reached no. 2 after Thatcher died though.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

bitterandtwisted posted:

The UK used to have loads of terrible gimmick songs get to number 1 in the charts like Barbie Girl or Mr Blobby, or childrens' songs like Bob the Builder and Tellytubbies.
Sir, how dare you.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

This is beautiful

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bitterandtwisted posted:

The UK used to have loads of terrible gimmick songs get to number 1 in the charts like Barbie Girl or Mr Blobby, or childrens' songs like Bob the Builder and Tellytubbies. This abortion reached no. 2:

Remember when Paul Gascoigne was a pop star?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Great, now I remember 3 Lions and that loving vindaloo song.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are there any emulators and ROMs for old mobile phones? All this talk of crap old ringtones has got me hankering to revisit the crap old games that went with them.

Or more YouTube links, the DOS ones were pretty good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nokia had a building in Oslo?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are there any emulators and ROMs for old mobile phones? All this talk of crap old ringtones has got me hankering to revisit the crap old games that went with them.

Or more YouTube links, the DOS ones were pretty good.

I'm not going to link anything, but there are definitely 9-key phone emulators out there. A couple I've tried out have been "KEmulator" and "SJBoy". They're a mild pain because there's not a universal size/button layout for 9-keys so you have to find proper formats for running whatever roms you get in the emulator settings, and they're hardly all-inclusive.

I did an LP a while back of the Silent Hill point and click games for 9-Key phones which are surprisingly dark and graphic (spoilers, they're all about suicide and dead babies) which is sitting in the archives if you're curious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bitterandtwisted posted:

The UK used to have loads of terrible gimmick songs get to number 1 in the charts like Barbie Girl
Barbie Girl is a good song though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

Don't see it as much now (possible because online downloads count towards the chart). Ding dong the witch is dead reached no. 2 after Thatcher died though.
Bwahah the Cartoons were amazing because they were so stupid, like a cartoon come to life :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFFykQIrPCk