Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GreenNight posted:

Got to get right up there for a fresh, clean feeling.

Right up to your molars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GreenNight posted:

Make sure you have tons of pressure in that water line. Got to get right up there for a fresh, clean feeling.

Someone, somewhere must have connected a power shower water pump to one of these.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

DrBouvenstein posted:

drat, that crawlspace is nicer than most basements.

And it said it was Minnesota...why wouldn't they just have done a full basement? Are basements not a thing in Minnesota? I thought most northern states tended to go basement over crawlspace because of the weather.

Though I guess in this case it's not like most crawlspaces that are uninsulated foundation over dirt, so it probably functions as well as a full basement.

Yeah, we usually do basements in Minnesota. I was probably around 10 before I found out other parts of the country don't necessarily have basements and even older before I figure out what "crawlspace" meant.

Check out this crawlspace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3mVnRlQLU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Came here to post this. That dude is awesome, and I love the little robot

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, gently caress no. Get that away from me. Jesus - it's a non-moulded plug. Just remove it and use twist caps temporarily.

quote:

Is that... a piece of copper pipe?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

Yeah, we usually do basements in Minnesota. I was probably around 10 before I found out other parts of the country don't necessarily have basements and even older before I figure out what "crawlspace" meant.

That's amazing. What a neat way to use otherwise difficult to use space.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

That RC forklift though :science:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Oh, gently caress no. Get that away from me. Jesus - it's a non-moulded plug. Just remove it and use twist caps temporarily.

Is that... a piece of copper pipe?

Wrapped with electrical tape! That makes it safe! :science:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It looks more like a second, smaller fuse. So like a 40A fuse with a piggybacked 20A fuse functionally identical to a 60A fuse, right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's a second, smaller fuse taped to the main fuse to add more fuse capacity while still being fused.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I assumed that the fuse blew, and they didn't have one that would fit the gap so they just taped a smaller size one to the big one as a stopgap (and then probably never did anything about it until the smaller one also blows).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's a second, smaller fuse taped to the main fuse to add more fuse capacity while still being fused.

Yup.

:psyboom:

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Would... would that work?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, like, sure, for a while.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The lower rated fuse would blow when total current to the load reached double its rating, then the other one carries the full load. Assuming the resistance of that janky rear end connection didn't already start a fire.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I think a lot of evening chilling that's done in living rooms now used to be in bedrooms. Like after dinner, you would put the kids to bed, and then you would go to bed to read or watch Johnny Carson on the TV that was practically mandatory in nice bedrooms. Now the living room has the TV and consoles and media stuff, and if you chill it's there. I don't think I know anyone with a TV in their bedroom anymore -- if you want to watch something in bed, you just do it on a tablet/phone.

I moved out 42" into the bedroom (replacing a 36" tube) when we got a bigger better TV for the living room. It's been turned on like 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years. I thought I might use the 2nd Xbox 360 in there, but that hasn't been the case. Maybe if I pay for a second U-verse box my wife will watch the stupid poo poo that I don't want to watch in the there.

Crotch Fruit posted:

27" tube TV and a 21" CRT monitor. I still remember how thrilled I was to get my first GPU with TV out so that I wouldn't have to constantly switch the cable, I immediately realized TVs suck for PC monitors.

I remember having to explain to people back in the '90s when I worked computer retail why a 17" CRT monitor cost more than 19" TV. Trying to read small text on 480p sucks. I pointed out how hard it was to read movie credits on TV versus the movie screen.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Darchangel posted:

I remember having to explain to people back in the '90s when I worked computer retail why a 17" CRT monitor cost more than 19" TV. Trying to read small text on 480p sucks. I pointed out how hard it was to read movie credits on TV versus the movie screen.

And now 1080p LCD TV's are so cheap I've got a 42" as my computer monitor at the foot of my bed. It's glorious.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Knew who it was gonna be before I clicked.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

And now 1080p LCD TV's are so cheap I've got a 42" as my computer monitor at the foot of my bed. It's glorious.

31" Sony Bravia here. It is pretty awesome.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I moved out 42" into the bedroom (replacing a 36" tube) when we got a bigger better TV for the living room. It's been turned on like 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years. I thought I might use the 2nd Xbox 360 in there, but that hasn't been the case. Maybe if I pay for a second U-verse box my wife will watch the stupid poo poo that I don't want to watch in the there.

Actual result: you'll watch lovely stuff in there while your wife watches lovely stuff on the big one.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
just put all the TVs in the living room imo

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Neutrino posted:

I would never poo poo in my shower.

Look at this guy with all the loving time in the world.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

Actual result: you'll watch lovely stuff in there while your wife watches lovely stuff on the big one.

I could live with that. My recliner's easier on my back, but I could probably pile up some pillows on the bed...
The one in the bedroom is 42", and it's only about 3' from the foot of the bed.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Darchangel posted:

I could live with that. My recliner's easier on my back, but I could probably pile up some pillows on the bed...
The one in the bedroom is 42", and it's only about 3' from the foot of the bed.

That would be a touch far for games and forums reading, I think. Either you have fantastic vision, or you'll be cranki g the resolution way down to make stuff bigger. Mine on a swing arm, so I can fold it away to be flat with the wall if I need to work at my desk, but usually it's swung out right to the edge of the bed.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

It's just missing a spotlight aimed at the solar panel...

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

This feels very much like a city bought a bunch of a solar model since most of them would be outside and it was cheaper to not modify the order for some in garage installs, and just hardwire them with the panel in place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/0YsKGDE.gifv

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait what the gently caress?!

Oh... chinese station ident on the corner. Makes sense.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I've always wondered about those huge advertising murals that adorn buildings in New York and LA do they remove paint annually or do they just paint over it hoping it doesn't peel and fall away in huge rock like chunks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

How do you think paint works that it would "fall away in huge rock-like chunks"?

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hundreds of layers of paint on top of each other.

I lived by a building that was a designated graffiti area, one wall had been painted over so many times that during winter a large crack appeared in the middle which forced huge layered chunks of paint to fall out that the size of tennis balls. One writer managed to pull off a section the size of manhole cover, it was surprisingly heavy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've seen people removing huge advertising murals with spray solvent, so I just assumed they did that all the time. Maybe painting over a couple times before wiping the canvas clean.

100s of layers is nuts, but I can definitely see paint peeling away in chunks in a case like that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

flosofl posted:

I've seen people removing huge advertising murals with spray solvent, so I just assumed they did that all the time. Maybe painting over a couple times before wiping the canvas clean.

100s of layers is nuts, but I can definitely see paint peeling away in chunks in a case like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordite

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

This is why prep work is 90% of a paint job. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shouldn't have skimped on the liquid nails budget I guess.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

my school has a "fence" that is repainted multiple times per week to advertise events, celebrate the birthdays of friends, or just because. all of that paint adds up.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/09/the-fence-of-carnegie-mellon-university.html

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Would it be possible that's just EIFS?
Seeing the white panels that break off and drift down slowly makes me think of the Styrofoam type panels that comprise a layer of that installation.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sure, I don't think anyone else actually thought it might just be paint. That being said, based on the color matching the apparently-completed buildings in the background, I'm guessing it was not under construction, or at least the exterior was done. Was.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I saw many newer buildings like that in Ukraine just covered with foam insulation then plaster and paint applied directly over top (or not at all sometimes!) I imagine it's just a layer of that falling of.