Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Giochi become the latest company to attempt a mega-boardgame. 90 EUR gets you the base game with cardboard bits. 200 EUR gets you the deluxe version with metal coins and almost 600 minis. And for a mere 370 EUR you can expand it up to 9 players with 275 metal coins and a minis count pushing 800. It's the first kickstarter I've seen where you can pay in installments.

The amount of playtesting they're claiming is kind of absurd. Apparently the designer had the idea for the game when he was 16 and there's been a playable prototype in testing since 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jedit posted:

Giochi become the latest company to attempt a mega-boardgame. 90 EUR gets you the base game with cardboard bits. 200 EUR gets you the deluxe version with metal coins and almost 600 minis. And for a mere 370 EUR you can expand it up to 9 players with 275 metal coins and a minis count pushing 800. It's the first kickstarter I've seen where you can pay in installments.

The amount of playtesting they're claiming is kind of absurd. Apparently the designer had the idea for the game when he was 16 and there's been a playable prototype in testing since 2000.

Where are you seeing that you can pay in installments?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose it's not a good sign that The Other Side is going down at the end instead of up. But as someone who was excited for it and then decided against backing it I can understand. Disappointing though. :smith:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Don't play systems where characters arbitrarily die from bad rolls and the need for a GM screen tends to evaporate, I feel. They can be good to hang references on but I'm too reliant on a laptop now to find room for one.

I can I spam this for 90% of the rpg things people post on kickstarter?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Sure, just... I mean there's a place for systems where dice kill you. I like Dread quite a bit and that's effectively the only mechanic. But it should be a thing that's a very deliberate notion that's important to the game... but usually it just seems to be a cargo cult mechanic that goes in games because D&D had it and if it was good enough for Gary it's good enough for your pulp treasure hunting game, political vampire drama, or Sailor Moon.

(Yes, if your health drops to 0 in The Sailor Moon Role-Playing Game, you die by default. Seriously.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jedit posted:

:laffo: That's always a great sign.

Why join? posted:

Because you will make the realization of the English edition of this beautiful game possible, one that otherwise would be impossible to produce. Indeed, all previous publishers have given up publishing the game, due to its high costs and the manufacturing difficulties. Together, we can do it! 

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

quote:

Because it will send a very strong and positive signal to the gaming market, thereby making possible the publication of other games, which to this point were thought to be impossible to publish. 

Because, even if the campaign is successful, due to the cost and size of the game it will not distribute and will be very difficult to find the game in stores. Only here will you be guaranteed to get it.

These are literally right next to each other.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What even is that game? A more complicated armies game but similar to Risk? A broader boardgame like the original Civ? Some kind of insane boardgame version of Crusader Kings? I can't make heads or tails of it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kwyndig posted:

What even is that game? A more complicated armies game but similar to Risk? A broader boardgame like the original Civ? Some kind of insane boardgame version of Crusader Kings? I can't make heads or tails of it.

It's Europa Universalis: the Board Game, except he claims to have been working on it since 1989. What a coincidence with the name thing!

I love that the board game itself is kind of an off-hand thing in the incredibly long author's bio that's mostly about his enthusiasm for canoeing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I was trying not to be too judgy when it comes to gameplay (what with no rules available), but after watching the videos and looking through the components list there is no way this is not deadly tedious to play. How could you possibly play this game in 2 hours, even with just two players? I shudder at the thought of a 9-player game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

It's Europa Universalis: the Board Game, except he claims to have been working on it since 1989. What a coincidence with the name thing!

The name changed, as did the theme; it was originally "Risk with extra bits and house rules" and called Mesciot. It only got the mediaeval theme when it was turned into its own game in 2000.

Sigma-X posted:

Where are you seeing that you can pay in installments?

Giochix have their own crowdfunding platform where they consolidate direct backing and that from KS and the German platform Spieleschmiede. They charge everyone the same and eat the KS fees, and I've backed their projects before and they've never failed to deliver.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jedit posted:

Can't wait to paint 140 of those sword dudes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Hat just announced that the final PDF of Blades in the Dark is scheduled for the 30th.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Oh hell yeah, I'm excited to see what the latest revisions are.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's good. I'm also glad they got on board for that, Evil Hat does good production work and with them proofing it'll be a much stronger, easier to read game than it would have been otherwise.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Dark is the Night - a fun-looking, quick, 2 player hidden movement game. I'm a sucker for hidden movement games, and this is right up my alley. Not yet funded, but close.

Thanks for pointing this one out, this looks great. Backed. Hope it makes its goal!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Thanks for pointing this one out, this looks great. Backed. Hope it makes its goal!

Yeah, I'm gonna back it, and hope it gets there too. There's more than enough time to raise another $1500

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Added that to my remind me list; pretty sure I'll back it. Looks neat!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Jedit posted:

Man, this just does not look interesting to me at all. The pitfalls of "We've been making this for 17 years" aside (and hoo boy is that ever a red flag), there's just nothing that stands out about it. If I'm going to settle in for a big long wargame I'd rather do it with fewer people and a more specific focus than "all of medieval Europe I guess". The metal coins sound nifty, but that's not enough for me to come close to shelling out what they're asking for it. It just looks painfully generic both mechanically and flavorwise.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Lord of Hats posted:

The metal coins sound nifty, but that's not enough for me to come close to shelling out what they're asking for it.

I didn't look at how much the coins were, but here are the Fief coins for $25 + shipping presumably:
https://academygames.com/games/product/cid-137

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I didn't look at how much the coins were, but here are the Fief coins for $25 + shipping presumably:
https://academygames.com/games/product/cid-137

The coins aren't available separately, they're purely part of the deluxe edition that will probably never see daylight outside this KS. Just as well the Fief coins are really nice.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
That game will never see daylight outside of KS.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That game will never see daylight.

FTFY

Even with it funded, I'm not confident that giant goddamn thing will be able to keep production costs under what they take in.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Defense Grid is going from computer game to board game. Not really related to the company at all though I played the computer games a lot so curious where this might go.

My work is also letting me grab a copy or two of The Other Side as a retail pledge if I want to try it out. It would basically be 4 random starters for $100, but I'm really not feeling it. I love the card mechanics and think it would be a neat game. But there's very few of the models I really like or find interesting and the pricing is a bit on the high side. The Abyssian motorcycle is $55 for a single model at KS price...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thiswayliesmadness posted:

My work is also letting me grab a copy or two of The Other Side as a retail pledge if I want to try it out. It would basically be 4 random starters for $100, but I'm really not feeling it. I love the card mechanics and think it would be a neat game. But there's very few of the models I really like or find interesting and the pricing is a bit on the high side. The Abyssian motorcycle is $55 for a single model at KS price...

Yeah, Wyrd tends to balance their stuff to make retail buying seem better. Which isn't a bad thing for the health of the company. Just don't expect huge deals from the kickstarter cause it is more of a traditional kickstarter.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I also backed it; reminds me of Hunt the Wumpus on my TI99-4A. :corsair:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna back it, and hope it gets there too. There's more than enough time to raise another $1500

I was going to back it, but $16 shipping is just not going to work for me...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Vincent Baker announced yesterday that the US paperbacks and hardcovers shipped for Apocalypse World 2.0!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Vincent Baker announced yesterday that the US paperbacks and hardcovers shipped for Apocalypse World 2.0!

Shame he missed the start of the actual apocalypse by a day. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Well, he did end yesterday's update with "The end is almost here!", so...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Woo. Finally got my Savage Rifts books.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The internet and television tell me we're living in a state of constant apocalypse at this point, so it will always be apropos

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

The production samples for Megaman Pixel Tactics are looking good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The end has begun for me since my copy of Apocalypse World 2e arrived today.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm digging this art example that that Monkey RPG just put up:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The production samples for Megaman Pixel Tactics are looking good.

I will never unsee the fact that the left-hand bar on the box is the trim color of the character on Mega Man, white on the other two.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Alas for the Awful Sea is a PBTA-ish game about playing grim sailors in mythic Cornwall, or something. I have some mild concerns about their numbers (free shipping on the softcover tier and a very low funding goal, specifically) but I figure I've thrown :10bux: at far worse ideas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Some dork is making a video game about their anime RPG.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yet another game designer trying to build a "Transmedia Empire", I see.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

At least they waited until after the first version of the property shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This obvious joke does bring a real question: Did anyone else try the Transmedia Empire idea after GMS shot himself in the foot with an assault rifle for half a decade?