Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If I saw Alonso vaping...I don't know what I'd do with myself......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

That's Keke fam.

Right, like I said, Are Rossie

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

I'd have to commit harikari

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

Buy a McLaren themed vape.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Norns posted:

Why? Their cars prefer to smoke.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Orange flavoured...?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Sun is reporting Silverstone will definitely drop British GP.
:sigh:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Richard Mille are the least tasteful watches on earth.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Donington was just sold recently, right? Is it assumed the new owners will put the money in to get F1 back there?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is Donington actually any good? I remember watching some BSB races last season at Brands and thinking "wow this is a great track"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Donnington is a categorical no, new owners are still trying to dig it out of the hole Bernie made after loving over the old owners. A number of the corners are out of date for formula 1 as are the kerbs, but modifying would effect the bikes, and it's really not viable to change anything for one race a year. Then there is the issue of the access roads to the track and stands. It's somewhat ironic given that Baku's safety level was "try not to bin it into the castle walls lads"

Don't worry about the British GP, this is all politics and Bernie playing the press to try and force Silverstone to accept Palmer's offer.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I've really enjoyed the old F1 and newer BTCC races I've watched at Donington. It's got a great layout and some nice elevation changes. From what I understand, they were not interested in hosting F1 due to the changes that would have been needed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you want to look at video footage of all the uk tracks that have laughed at bernie and told him to gently caress off over the years here you go.

http://www.motorsportcircuits.co.uk/html/uk_track_guides.html

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

wicka posted:

:spain::respek::smithcloud:

Spaced God posted:

Bullshit, This report has come in every single winter since i've been watching f1. I'll believe it when i see it. Going to the press to say "the race will be pulled" is anti-bernie negotiation 101. (But i'd happily trade the BGP at silverstone for a US Grand prix West at Laguna Seca or the Long beach street circuit.)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 18, 2017

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I want to be optimistic about Bottas because it would be so delicious for Lewis to be covered by a newcomer to the team. Some of this might be a stretch but:

- The 2017 cars will be significantly different to drive, perhaps enough that Lewis' incumbent position will be largely negated.
- Since Lewis has the reputation of lazy/low effort development / simulation time, it could swing further in Bottas' favor.
- Bottas, the emotional robot, might be less easy to rattle than Rossberg had been previously.

Chances are Lewis will have him covered, but I remain hopeful.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Spaced God posted:

The Sun also reported that London would have flying Ubers by the end of 2017, so...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is Donington actually any good? I remember watching some BSB races last season at Brands and thinking "wow this is a great track"

Brands is legit fantastic, but it's impossible to go racing there due to NIMBY noise restrictions that close the GP circuit for all but a handful of events a year. IIRC Berger said it was the best circuit he'd ever raced on. Even so, no UK circuit other than Silverstone meets the FIA requirements to hold a Grand Prix at present.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
But I bought this house next to a race track built on an airfield! How dare you suggest it should be allowed to make any noise!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

learnincurve posted:

But I bought this house next to a race track built on an airfield! How dare you suggest it should be allowed to make any noise!

"hmm, i can have 2 bedrooms in the suburbs, or 5 bedrooms in the middle of nowhere near this airport. I'll treat myself, i deserve it"

*light background noise from cessnas*

THIS IS RIDICULOUS AND I CANNOT LIVE IN THESE CONDITIONS

*most postwar airports in america close down*

Execute the yuppies, Its time for guillotines.

edit: VvV @Solkanar: See my first line

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 18, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MattD1zzl3 posted:

"hmm, i can have 2 bedrooms in the suburbs, or 5 bedrooms in the middle of nowhere near this airport. I'll treat myself, i deserve it"

Execute the yuppies, Its time for guillotines.

We still get this poo poo from folks living next to Paine Field in WA State. I'm not sure how they missed the fact they moved next to the largest airplane factory in the world, who uses said field for testing and deliveries.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I don't know how people who follow what Bernie does for a living week in week out can be so naif. It's an investment strategy:

- Buy house for cheap because it's noisy
- Complain until the noise goes away
- Sell house for $$$

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Theophany posted:

Brands is legit fantastic, but it's impossible to go racing there due to NIMBY noise restrictions that close the GP circuit for all but a handful of events a year. IIRC Berger said it was the best circuit he'd ever raced on. Even so, no UK circuit other than Silverstone meets the FIA requirements to hold a Grand Prix at present.

Pretty sure Donington doesn't have to worry about noise restrictions too much since the track literally sits at one end of the runway to East Midlands International .

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My dad's one "I was there" racing anecdote was that time they ran the F1 cars round the Crystal Palace race track in the 1960s in a non-championship race. 100,000 people turned up to watch a race in a stadium slap bang in the middle of a London residential area. Unfortunately the cars were so loud that residents complained that as their ears were now bleeding would you mind awefully not doing that again, and the F1 was never invited back.

It's a really fascinating track and the history is worth a read http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/10/temple-of-speed-crystal-palace/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWp-0TuY4Sk

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I wonder if any of the current drivers are vapists? That's what cool has been reduced to in the modern era

1500quidporsche posted:

Vaping and paddleshifting with no unreliability. What an age we live in.

That's not the drinks button they've been pressing.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

This made me a bit sad. I grew up in a little place just outside south east London called Biggin Hill (old RAF base, civilian airport these days) and I miss the long summer days punctuated by the occasional buzz of light aircraft every 20 minutes or so. drat. I miss that occasional buzz.

You'd listen out and the buzz would cut out and you knew some poor bastard was getting his "this is what you do when the engine cuts out" lesson.

Anyway!.... getting back on topic. Bottas is actually a James Bond villain. Mclaren in 'possibly actually nice livery' shocker. Silverstone loses British GP *yawn* I'll believe it when I see it.

.....it's almost March isn't it? Almost.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And it's a real thing. Brands hatch gets to use the grand prix loop something like 6 weekends a year with a very early curfew. Croft was nearly closed by restrictions on using it for the track days that pay for the race meets.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
dB level restrictions are slowly going down even at NHMS in the middle of nowhere in the Live Free or Die state. There's loving NOTHING near it, it's the middle of goddamn nowhere surrounded by swamps.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Funny, I don't think I ever heard of anyone complaining about the dirt track in my hometown. And you could hear that poo poo for miles and miles.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

poty posted:

I don't know how people who follow what Bernie does for a living week in week out can be so naif. It's an investment strategy:

- Buy house for cheap because it's noisy
- Complain until the noise goes away
- Sell house for $$$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnaY0l4XsM&t=49s

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

What's all this noise talk? This is the Formula 1 thread. We haven't had loud cars for years.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

td4guy posted:

What's all this noise talk? This is the Formula 1 thread. We haven't had loud cars for years.

It's everyone complaining in a subtle way that the cars should be louder and V10's should come back

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Funny, I don't think I ever heard of anyone complaining about the dirt track in my hometown. And you could hear that poo poo for miles and miles.

I think community interaction and accessibility play a big part in running something as imposing like a race track and the people who build and own them completely discount that when they stick them in the middle of nowhere assuming nobody is going to complain. If you've got a project where guys are just driving out from the city in their 6 figure sports cars, slamming a ton of money down (that you can't really afford) and then making a shitload of noise you're going to get annoyed at the prospect of that because its out of reach and then bitch about it.

I know when the kart club needed to find a place for a new track they picked a small town, said they wanted to be involved in the community and its open to anybody for a low cost of membership and it got built almost overnight with the town waiving a ton of red tape involved saying we could worry about it later. There's been absolutely zero complaints in two years of it being there and open for use 24/7 and I'm 100% certain its due to the fact that the club is based around making it open to as many people as realistically possible and isn't a circle of rich fund managers looking to get a return on a playground for the rich.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress NIMBYS :colbert:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GramCracker posted:

It's everyone complaining in a subtle way that the cars should be louder and V10's should come back

:suicide:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh god, FIA season reviews are always called stuff like "Kimi finally did it!" or "That's what champions do" This year? "they did their best"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

learnincurve posted:

Oh god, FIA season reviews are always called stuff like "Kimi finally did it!" or "That's what champions do" This year? "they did their best"

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Pretty sure Donington doesn't have to worry about noise restrictions too much since the track literally sits at one end of the runway to East Midlands International .

Its one of the reasons why Donington revamp made so much sense; its a great track in the most accessible location next door to a good sized airport that could be upgraded to F1 standards relatively cheaply, with the only really tricky bit being to expand the access road to the Motorway. The problem was they were trying to do it at the worst possible time when the worlds economy went boom.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They had an agreement with Bernie that they would take over from Silverstone if they upgraded the pit lane and facilities, and that he would take X percent of the ticket sales and whatnot. Money was spent on the circuit. Bernie then Bernied and demanded so much money from them that they would end up making a loss over the race weekend (e: which scared off all of the investors). Bernie turned round and said "that's not my problem" (actual quote) and the owners ended up going bust.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 19, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Also there is this that whole being owned by a literal Nazi thing until two weeks ago. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Wheatcroft#German_WWII_memorabilia_collection

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

learnincurve posted:

They didn't even put any effort into the production of the 2016 season review. It's the dullest thing. They only spend a minute on pre-season testing. And the radio restrictions drama is hardly mentioned. The knockout qualifying isn't mentioned at all.
Usually when the visit a new track, there's a sweeping CGI shot of the track and maybe an onboard qualifying video if it's spectacular enough. This year? None of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
I struggle to believe, all the cash spent to upgrade Silverstone before 2010 was all part of their grand plan to renegotiate and lose the race 6 years later.

I struggle even further to believe these circuits (Korea, India) that dump nearly 300 mill on construction and then disappear after a few years. I would've thought to get finance you need to have a 10+ yr contract in place for your main revenue source.

• Locked thread