Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Circuits being added and dropped suddenly is a grand F1 tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

Oh god, FIA season reviews are always called stuff like "Kimi finally did it!" or "That's what champions do" This year? "they did their best"
Not referring to Ferrari obviously

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Watching it now, not much on testing because they got their predictions completely wrong.

I forgot about Bahrain but I bet Lewis won't have done. Bottas had a great start, Lewis a poo poo one. Bottas ploughs into the side of Lewis and totally ruins his race.

E naw this is awesome, if anything the usual sarcasm and mockery* has been ramped way up to compensate for the lack of anything good on track.

*of Ferarri. I liked the bit where the third or fourth repeat of the Kimi/Vettel/Kvyat crash had the camera on marchionne.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 19, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

enri posted:

This made me a bit sad. I grew up in a little place just outside south east London called Biggin Hill (old RAF base, civilian airport these days) and I miss the long summer days punctuated by the occasional buzz of light aircraft every 20 minutes or so. drat. I miss that occasional buzz.

You'd listen out and the buzz would cut out and you knew some poor bastard was getting his "this is what you do when the engine cuts out" lesson.

Biggin Hill is also the home of Formula One Management. Well, until Liberty Media move it to some loving mailbox address in Wyoming or South Dakota.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't really understand the economics of running a race track anyway like I don't see how Silverstone makes money in the first place

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

julian assflange posted:

I don't really understand the economics of running a race track anyway like I don't see how Silverstone makes money in the first place

I would imagine hosting a Grand Prix event is a loss leader, especially when you're negotiating a revenue split with Darth Bernie. The majority of their revenue probably comes from track days and experiences where people are turning up, paying a hundred quid to rag a hot hatch round a smaller configuration or a few hundred quid to scare themselves shitless in a single seater. Hosting the Grand Prix attracts people because they want to pretend they're Hamilton making a double overtake through Maggots and Becketts like he did for ART.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

I would imagine hosting a Grand Prix event is a loss leader, especially when you're negotiating a revenue split with Darth Bernie. The majority of their revenue probably comes from track days and experiences where people are turning up, paying a hundred quid to rag a hot hatch round a smaller configuration or a few hundred quid to scare themselves shitless in a single seater. Hosting the Grand Prix attracts people because they want to pretend they're Hamilton making a double overtake through Maggots and Becketts like he did for ART.

Don't lump me in, I don't want to pretend to be Their Ham ever.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Theophany posted:

Biggin Hill is also the home of Formula One Management. Well, until Liberty Media move it to some loving mailbox address in Wyoming or South Dakota.

It is! I used to walk past their offices every day to and from work, round the corner from where I worked. The audio / visual company a few units down from us always had the Jordan motorhomes in for a clean up over the summer breaks too. I also went for a job with the, not entirely sure what you'd call them, support team for the broadcast people. i.e. spare camera parts etc. would need to be flown out to 'the travelling circus' as he called it, long hours but that would have been a fun job.

:h:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GramCracker posted:

GramCracker (on track day) posted:

"IT'S HAMMERRRRRRR TIIIIIIMMMMMME!!!!!" :rice:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

td4guy posted:

They didn't even put any effort into the production of the 2016 season review. It's the dullest thing. They only spend a minute on pre-season testing. And the radio restrictions drama is hardly mentioned. The knockout qualifying isn't mentioned at all.
Usually when the visit a new track, there's a sweeping CGI shot of the track and maybe an onboard qualifying video if it's spectacular enough. This year? None of that.

Are you sure you are watching the FIA 2016 season review and not something like the BBC or C4 yearly review? We know they tend to gloss over things the FIA has screwed up on, but the Radio ban is mentioned a few times including a big bit after Silverstone, and there is a track walk with hulkenburg round Baku. I'm loving the new split screen footage of crashes from both drivers onboards, and the clip with the ghost car proving without doubt what a bellend Nico is was very nicely done . If anything it's the best one they have done in years, imo they upped the production values to mask how poo poo the racing was.

edit:

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 19, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

F1 needs to race at Road America and is NOT allowed to make changes :colbert:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

learnincurve posted:

the clip with the ghost car proving without doubt what a bellend Nico is was very nicely done .
That part was pretty good, yeah.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
FINISH. HIM.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecclestone-my-f1-future-now-in-liberty-s-hands-866879/

Eb
May 6, 2003

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I didn't know he broke his arms.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Imagine all the cool watches you could keep in those pockets

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Hope to god he was paid to wear that. It looks like a Barbour shooting jacket made comical in every way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Poois Shamilton

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ukle posted:

Hope to god he was paid to wear that. It looks like a Barbour shooting jacket made comical in every way.

No, No he wasn't. In actual fact he's paid lots and lots of money to wear Hugo Boss, but he decided to wear whatever that is to the Louis Vuitton show at Paris Fashion week instead. "You can't tell me what to wear man ha ha ha"

I have nothing but genuine sympathy for whoever deals with the sponsors at Mercedes.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Bernie will NEVER be in a position that makes him helpless.

This article made me picture him doing the humble old man act, wringing his hands saying "Oh, well I suppose we all have to retire someday, if Liberty decides that day has come for me then three's just nothing I can do..." while having just bought a controlling interest in them through some shell corporation.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Poois Shamilton

In 2017, Rivals.com puns become factual descriptions.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

one of the best coats I have ever seen

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are you a 6ft 6" farmer poty?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

wicka posted:

In 2017, Rivals.com puns become factual descriptions.
Is this why he hasn't been probated for posting something that I was probated for posting?

Also that picture has to be used in the 2017 season thread when it happens

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

A bunch of goony goon goons being armchair fashion critics itt.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

And all this time we thought Alonso was the robot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, ending the derail that's over in the Indy thread and bringing it to the proper thread, but F1's troubles getting into the US Market were brought up. I mentioned part of the problem is the USGP's date: middle of the NFL season. Wicka disagrees that's a major factor and says the race can't be moved because of ~traditional race dates~ :qq: (completely ignoring the fact that the 2004-2007 USGPs were held in June, not to mention the EUGP being shoved in in the middle of the summer).

Not to mention that they could easily switch Bahrain and US and do both middle east back-to-back.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Alright, ending the derail that's over in the Indy thread and bringing it to the proper thread, but F1's troubles getting into the US Market were brought up. I mentioned part of the problem is the USGP's date: middle of the NFL season. Wicka disagrees that's a major factor and says the race can't be moved because of ~traditional race dates~ :qq: (completely ignoring the fact that the 2004-2007 USGPs were held in June, not to mention the EUGP being shoved in in the middle of the summer).

Not to mention that they could easily switch Bahrain and US and do both middle east back-to-back.

Dipshit, I didn't say it wasn't a major factor, I said F1 scheduling is complicated and you are a child if you think they are moving decades-old race dates just to accommodate the NFL.

Ah yes, they could "easily" switch two races, I bet there's literally NOTHING that goes into that other than listing races on a piece of paper.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I feel we were better off with that in the indy thread maybe

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I feel we were better off without anyone starting that conversation in any thread.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

You're wrong and Wicka is right. FIA's primary interest is making sure their races don't conflict with their own events and FOM's was not conflicting with MotoGP since there the owners were the same (that may change with CVC gone although I doubt it), then you have the logistical considerations, political preferences (Bahrain is always going to piggyback off another race from now on and Russia probably will as well), weather and then you probably have a list of 10 other considerations and then conflicts with the local market can be considered. Every country has their own little national sport and trying to schedule around that is futile.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 20, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

You're wrong and Wicka is right. FIA's primary interest is making sure their races don't conflict with their own events and FOM's was not conflicting with MotoGP since there the owners were the same (that may change with Liberty gone although I doubt it), then you have the logistical considerations, political preferences (Bahrain is always going to piggyback off another race from now on and Russia probably will as well), weather and then you probably have a list of 10 other considerations and then conflicts with the local market can be considered. Every country has their own little national sport and trying to schedule around that is futile.

Alright, I'll concede the argument then. Point taken especially in regards to logistics, given they schedule Mexico right after the US and it's really not that far of a trip between the two in the grand scale of things.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

F1 needs to race at Road America and is NOT allowed to make changes :colbert:

This. 1,000,000% this. This would be the best thing. :flashfap:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

CratSock posted:

Bernie will NEVER be in a position that makes him helpless.

This article made me picture him doing the humble old man act, wringing his hands saying "Oh, well I suppose we all have to retire someday, if Liberty decides that day has come for me then three's just nothing I can do..." while having just bought a controlling interest in them through some shell corporation.

I seriously love Bernie. That's absolutely some poo poo he'd do (and is definitely up to) and I love him for it. Never change, Bernard. Never change. :allears:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Coming soon to a television near you: Bernie Vs Chase, 2017.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

learnincurve posted:

Coming soon to a television near you: Bernie Vs Chase, 2017.

Gentlemen, start your egos

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

Despite his questionable fashion sense, it was a loving mega move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0PpiaMPGNk

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don't think anyone has ever questioned his ability to drive (in a dominant car, he tends to fall to tiny little petulant pieces in a non-dominant one), we just think he's a prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
No disagreement on the latter part, though he wasn't always this way.

• Locked thread