Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't like Maiden

*pops wheelie, rides away flipping u off*

I don't like spaghetti with pepperami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Everyone in metal is secretly a Nazi.

Everyone except the dude from Mystifer

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Americans should go and see Heresiarch on their upcoming tour, I've seen the present line up twice now and they're very good live, very intimidating band. They're also playing stuff off the album which is supposed to be coming out shortly.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

H13 posted:

In other news: What Alcest album should I listen to?

Souvenirs d'un autre monde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICDZP83Voqo

Écailles de lune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-kW-rxzJ_0

His old band Amesoeurs was pretty good too... but this isn't him singing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6-ArGDTOlo

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also since when is Myrkur a Nazi?

She shared Varg Vikernes pseudoscientifical work on racial biology on her facebook page, said it was all true. Unless she's running a really long con, that is being a loving nazi.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
I didn't catch this when it came out but pretty cool death metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD1ewKOZsLE

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

This is the best Alcest album by quite a bit, IMO.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Hulk Krogan posted:

This is the best Alcest album by quite a bit, IMO.
I'd have said that until Kodama came out, now it's still the best but only by a little.

I just got round to checking out various best of 2016 lists and I don't think I've seen Inquisition's Bloodshed... on any of them, which proves they're all trash because that was my #1 metal album last year. I barely saw my #2, Wormrot's Voices, either. I guess I could be the one with bad taste but that seems wrong.

Edit: They did introduce me to a few things I hadn't heard though, like Zhrine's Unortheta which sounds great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1AKVqQ0dvg

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 20, 2017

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

il_cornuto posted:

I'd have said that until Kodama came out, now it's still the best but only by a little.

I just got round to checking out various best of 2016 lists and I don't think I've seen Inquisition's Bloodshed... on any of them, which proves they're all trash because that was my #1 metal album last year. I barely saw my #2, Wormrot's Voices, either. I guess I could be the one with bad taste but that seems wrong.

Edit: They did introduce me to a few things I hadn't heard though, like Zhrine's Unortheta which sounds great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1AKVqQ0dvg

I love Inquisition but wasn't really blown away by that album. It's pretty good, i guess. I'm not wild about the Wormrot album either, tbh.

Zhrine is kool, they are especially good live. If you get a chance to see 'em do it. They were probably the best band I saw at MDF last year, which is a hosed up thing to say, but it's true.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

True story: Rust in Peace is the best thrash album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcySh35ahsY

That first 50 seconds beats everything imo

Dirt fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 21, 2017

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Vintersorg posted:

Ruines Humaines is a virtually perfect EP; the self-titled LP is not bad but the EP is the absolute best

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dirt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcySh35ahsY

That first 50 seconds beats everything imo
The remaster of this album is so much worse than the original

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Vulture Culture posted:

Weird. I just happened to listen to the album on my way to work this morning and had this samr thought. They really hosed it up in all sorts of ways. Nick's snare is so goddamned loud in Five Magiks to name one.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Zodijackylite posted:

secretly?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

HJB fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 23, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Weird. I just happened to listen to the album on my way to work this morning and had this samr thought. They really hosed it up in all sorts of ways. Nick's snare is so goddamned loud in Five Magiks to name one.

the best part of the remaster botch job is the call and response part of five magics sounds like macho man randy savage

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

YouTube is great

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Vulture Culture posted:

YouTube is great

I actually just bought that Qrixkuor album yesterday and it's a loving monster.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Dirt posted:

confirmed

Vulture Culture posted:

Didn't dave claim a bunch of the masters were lost which is why he re-recorded a bunch of parts? I know it only took me one listen to delete it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Crustashio posted:

confirmed

Didn't dave claim a bunch of the masters were lost which is why he re-recorded a bunch of parts? I know it only took me one listen to delete it.
Yeah, something like that. That's not even the offensive part to me -- it's physically painful to listen to because it's just one constant hiss above 16 KHz or so. The poo poo mastering is most pronounced in the cymbals.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
was there anything 'wrong' with the original version?

what was so bad about it that you'd want to go so far as rerecord parts to get it right?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

what was so bad about it that you'd want to go so far as rerecord parts to get it right?

Nothing at all.

http://www.theonion.com/article/humanity-still-producing-new-art-though-megadeths--50983

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

nothing. remasters and re-releases were a common tactic in the 90s/early 2000s to gin up catalog album sales. or if you're ozzy's wife a way to get out of having to pay royalties

also he redid the md45 album with his own lovely vocals instead of lee ving's

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

nothing. remasters and re-releases were a common tactic in the 90s/early 2000s to gin up catalog album sales. or if you're ozzy's wife a way to get out of having to pay royalties

also he redid the md45 album with his own lovely vocals instead of lee ving's
Early-mid 2000s was also the era of the iPod, where those lovely white status earbuds became the normal way to listen to music, so there was a big push to release music that sounded good on the worst hardware imaginable.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i'll admit i'm kinda disappointed in mike bordin and rob trujillo for agreeing to scab for sharon osbourne

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Souvenirs d'un autre monde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICDZP83Voqo

Écailles de lune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-kW-rxzJ_0

Amesoeurs has some songs with him singing and those tend to be their heaviest songs. Normally its a female vocalist who is also in some of Peste Noire tracks.

Ecailles de Lune is my favorite Alcest album and its probably their most "metal" album as well. Their latest album Kodama is actually a good listen too the best tracks are free on youtube if you want to check it out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don't listen to as much metal as I used to but I saw Boris play Pink live on their recent European tour and it was the most amazing concert I have ever seen. Too bad the crowd was sort of a wet blanket because I could not stop smiling. Also my wife's first metal show :shobon:

Zodijackylite posted:

Gorewar posted:

I think what happened is that Prozak really got into twitter in the last few years. I mean the dude has rolled with white supremacists online for a super long time (the old forum on anus.com more or less functioned as a recruitment tool for the National Alliance, going back to 15 years ago even) but the rise of gamergate and the "alt right" on the internet kicked his activities into overdrive. Now it's just endless rants about SJWs and posts about cyberstalking Kim Kelly.

Honestly the older I get the more uncomfortable the entire metal scene makes me and I think you nailed it. It used to be a kind of "lol there are still nazis are you loving serious" novelty but now that the KKK leader is tweeting "We made it" on the day of the inauguration and people I always considered extremely liberal followed the incredibly stupid path of I like human rights > a videogame thing happened > hail trump is actually a bit scary.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I'm an Agalloch fanboy, and it stings a little considering how Haughm killed the band, but I really am digging the Pillorian track. It kind of reminds of early Agalloch in a way

https://youtu.be/vwMhuk_FssY

This post is how I found out Agalloch disbanded :/ I loved that band, still have their weirdass special edition wood edition of Ashes Against the Grain

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

people I always considered extremely liberal followed the incredibly stupid path of I like human rights > a videogame thing happened > hail trump is actually a bit scary.

It's scary and completely retarded. You really know people who turned right wing because of gamergate? drat that's depressing. :smithicide:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Snowy posted:

It's scary and completely retarded. You really know people who turned right wing because of gamergate? drat that's depressing. :smithicide:

Well it was gradual, but yes. It's more linked than you think - Gamer communities were always prone to whatever the outrage of the week was, it just used to be very anti-censorship, "Games don't cause violence" which was the hot button topic. It's a bunch of young guys who are passionate about things that aren't important basically. Breitbart actually took advantage of this and covered the gamergate stuff extensively, so a lot of the gaming community took it as oh these people take us seriously. Breitbart is very right wing and the originator of the current batch of alt-right stuff so they took advantage of this new young demographic and spun them into right wing as well.

And Trump's strategy head is the owner of Breitbart :v:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
No thread, turn left!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Snowy posted:

I had tickets to see Maiden on the Powerslave tour but Bruce had a cough or something and they cancelled the show. That's around when I stopped being into them- would i still enjoy them live or is there a ton of new (post-powerslave) poo poo in the setlist?

I pretty much hate huge concerts but I might make an exception for these guys as long as it's not all stuff I don't know.

I think I had tickets to the same tour. Do you remember if Anthrax was opening? I was so psyched to see Maiden and Anthrax. They were two of my favorite bands and we scored great seats only to have to the shows canceled.

Edit - no way it was Powerslave (the show I had tickets for). I looked it up on Wikipedia - February 13, 1991 was the show I was supposed to see. The "No Prayer on the Road" tour.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 23, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

For some reason the first couple of Dokken albums showed up in my iTunes mix and George Lynch has some :eyepop: solos.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Vargatron posted:

For some reason the first couple of Dokken albums showed up in my iTunes mix and George Lynch has some :eyepop: solos.

yeah, the dude was a legit shredder back in the day

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Vargatron posted:

I forget the exact quote or who said it, but it was something like "We used to make fun of all those glam bands, but years later all of us would admit we stole licks from George Lynch and Warren Demartini."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I forgot Amorphis is touring soon. :3:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Tickets secured today via IMFC for the Book of Souls Tour in June. If they're only half as good as they were in '12, it will still be money/time well spent.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My sister just texted me that she can probably get us and some friends suite tickets to see Maiden here in Nashville. I was going to buy general admission but I guess a suite would be okay? Never seen a concert from that vantage, should be just like any other seats I guess.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I was going to buy general admission
just do this

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Demon Of The Fall posted:

My sister just texted me that she can probably get us and some friends suite tickets to see Maiden here in Nashville. I was going to buy general admission but I guess a suite would be okay? Never seen a concert from that vantage, should be just like any other seats I guess.

One does not sit down for Iron loving Maiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
I picked up Slice The Cake's album Odyssey To The West recently and it's quickly become my most listened-to record in a long rear end time. I think one of the reasons I find it so interesting is because I really loving dig the whole 'epic' narrative and story told throughout the lyrics/tracks. The only other albums like that I can think of are Edge of Sanity's Crimson II and Opeth's Still Life and I guess sorta Ghost Reveries. Can anyone recommend any more concept albums that are on the more brutal side of the metal spectrum?