Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

melodicwaffle posted:

You guys walked by a dart board on the way to and from turning in the dog tag sidequest.

It was interactable.

:ducksiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
So, have you guys seriously never heard of a ferry capable of carrying cars or a car-ferry?

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 20, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Or Spam sushi?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bocc Kob posted:

Were we ever given a reason for Milfheim invading Insomnia or is that yet to be revealed? Are the Milfs just a regular old Final Fantasy evil empire?

(only watched the videos so far and paused on some loredump screens)
It appears they were trying to get their hands on a ring and a crystal. The Crystal is the source of the kingdom's magical strength, and is channeled through the Ring of the Lucii. The Empire now holds the crystal in Insomnia, but Lunafreya smuggled the ring out of the city, and has power of her own because she's the Oracle (basically a Summoner, assuming the six gods mentioned are summons) and uses her position to get her kingdom some autonomy despite it being in the grip of the Empire. She's a fugitive now of course.

As for why the Emperor wants those things, it looks like the nights (which is when daemons attack) are getting longer due to some somethingorother-pox. There's a legend that the gods can hold that back, so maybe he wants the ring to somehow awaken them (good intentions, brutal methods) or, more likely because this isn't a Tactics game so people aren't allowed nuance, he wants its power to kill the gods because he's batshit evil.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Thesaya posted:

So, have you guys seriously never heard of a ferry capable of carrying cars or a car-ferry?

"Enough water for a ferry" is kind of a northern thing.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Gamerofthegame posted:

"Enough water for a ferry" is kind of a northern thing.

I guess that might be true. I grew up taking the ferry to Denmark for holidays or getting on one to get to islands just of the coast, so I never thought about them not being common

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Thesaya posted:

I guess that might be true. I grew up taking the ferry to Denmark for holidays or getting on one to get to islands just of the coast, so I never thought about them not being common

I know Seattle has them, it's got some islands and peninsulas and such that make them useful. I assume the Great Lakes area and a couple of spots in California have them, but other than that most of America's geography doesn't have places people need to cross in a car without it being convenient to drive around it or build a bridge.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bocc Kob posted:

Were we ever given a reason for Milfheim invading Insomnia or is that yet to be revealed? Are the Milfs just a regular old Final Fantasy evil empire?

the dude with the weird voice in the cutscene seemed like he really dug the crystal they dragged out of the captial

Bruceski posted:

(only watched the videos so far and paused on some loredump screens)
It appears they were trying to get their hands on a ring and a crystal. The Crystal is the source of the kingdom's magical strength, and is channeled through the Ring of the Lucii. The Empire now holds the crystal in Insomnia, but Lunafreya smuggled the ring out of the city, and has power of her own because she's the Oracle (basically a Summoner, assuming the six gods mentioned are summons) and uses her position to get her kingdom some autonomy despite it being in the grip of the Empire. She's a fugitive now of course.

As for why the Emperor wants those things, it looks like the nights (which is when daemons attack) are getting longer due to some somethingorother-pox. There's a legend that the gods can hold that back, so maybe he wants the ring to somehow awaken them (good intentions, brutal methods) or, more likely because this isn't a Tactics game so people aren't allowed nuance, he wants its power to kill the gods because he's batshit evil.

they may pull a 12 where the evil empire trying to kill the gods turned out to have the right idea

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 20, 2017

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Bruceski posted:

I know Seattle has them, it's got some islands and peninsulas and such that make them useful. I assume the Great Lakes area and a couple of spots in California have them, but other than that most of America's geography doesn't have places people need to cross in a car without it being convenient to drive around it or build a bridge.

Lake Ontario used to have a giant fast ferry, complete with a mall inside, that took you from Rochester to Toronto in like 2 hours. Of course they overestimated how many people would actually want to do this and sold it pretty quickly, losing a ton of money in the process. Now it runs across the strait of Gibraltar apparently.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bruceski posted:

As for why the Emperor wants those things, it looks like the nights (which is when daemons attack) are getting longer due to some somethingorother-pox.

Do you mean pox as in disease? I thought it was unknown why the nights were getting longer.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Do you mean pox as in disease? I thought it was unknown why the nights were getting longer.

When was it mentioned that the nights were longer? I'm in the middle of chapter 3 and I don't think I've heard a single reference to this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm sure that was in a loading screen or something. Wouldn't be the first time a game has spoiled itself with flavour text on a loading screen.

Or did I just make it up in my mind? poo poo, I honestly don't know now.

EDIT: No, Bruceski said the same thing and he's only watched this LP too, so we're in the same boat car ferry when it comes to FFXV knowledge.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 20, 2017

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Lunethex posted:

When Benson gets behind the wheel I think you're gonna run out of money really fast trying to repair all the damage he's sure to cause to the car.

Can the car actually break and become unusable if you hit enough people? I wouldn't put it past sqeenix to make it cosmetic only :buddy:

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Lake Ontario used to have a giant fast ferry, complete with a mall inside, that took you from Rochester to Toronto in like 2 hours. Of course they overestimated how many people would actually want to do this and sold it pretty quickly, losing a ton of money in the process. Now it runs across the strait of Gibraltar apparently.

Haha yeah the fast ferry! I live in Rochester. What a loving disaster that was.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The evil empire basically controls the entire world at this point but are incapable of dealing with 4 idiots that like to camp out in the open every other night. You'd think they would wake up to 30 dropships ready to drop an entire army on them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

The evil empire basically controls the entire world at this point but are incapable of dealing with 4 idiots that like to camp out in the open every other night. You'd think they would wake up to 30 dropships ready to drop an entire army on them.
I think that is what the Empire tried in the episode where they first encountered dropships. It did not work.
The empire does not seem to be particularly competent.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Can the car actually break and become unusable if you hit enough people? I wouldn't put it past sqeenix to make it cosmetic only :buddy:
It totally can and then you have to tow it

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

JT Jag posted:

It totally can and then you have to tow it

Do you get to see Cindy pull up in a tow truck and unleash the fanservice through the whole ordeal?

haha the king had to have his car towed what a rube

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Do you get to see Cindy pull up in a tow truck and unleash the fanservice through the whole ordeal?

haha the king had to have his car towed what a rube

Yes.
That's why there's a really detailed tow truck sitting outside of Hammerhead.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

ishikabibble posted:

Yes.
That's why there's a really detailed tow truck sitting outside of Hammerhead.

:prepop:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I think that is what the Empire tried in the episode where they first encountered dropships. It did not work.

I think all the Empire's best toys got broken in the anime movie.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

oath2order posted:

When was it mentioned that the nights were longer? I'm in the middle of chapter 3 and I don't think I've heard a single reference to this.

Second video, the portrait loredumps at the beginning. Looks like I just assumed that the nights getting longer (mentioned in the last part of the fourth painting) was because of the Starscourge (mentioned in the first part of the second painting) but that is not (yet) claimed in-game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

anilEhilated posted:

Pretty sure that was just the EPA showing up to defend that poor endangered rhino thing.

By the end of this game Noctis has probably driven dozens of species to extinction.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Pretty sure that was just the EPA showing up to defend that poor endangered rhino thing.

By the end of this game Noctis has probably driven dozens of species to extinction.

Nah, the hunter organization is actually a scam. They are increasing the amount of monsters rather than reducing them, and dropping them off for "Hunts". Cid is in in it.

Why else would certain monsters only exist if you ask at your local diner where to kill them, particularly ones involved in the upgrade scheme :pseudo:

Noct: "Man, these bargain bin horns aren't cutting it. I need PREMIUM Unicorn horn for Cid to upgrade my motorcycle sword! " :saddowns:
Kenny's Diner Clone: "So I hear you're looking for Duplicorns, I happen to know the ONE spot they will turn up. As often as you need them" :ninja:

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I just realized all the gas pumps say they contain lead.

Explains some things

Also mech weapons can be super useful, prompto gets a good tech for em. Just don't use the bioblaster, it hurts your guys too.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

coleman francis posted:

Explains some things

Also mech weapons can be super useful, prompto gets a good tech for em. Just don't use the bioblaster, it hurts your guys too.

No, I think what you meant to say is absolutely use the bio blaster because it will be funny. Did we learn nothing from Sepukku Auron?

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

coleman francis posted:

Explains some things

wait what

I never noticed that

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

coleman francis posted:

Just don't use the bioblaster, it hurts your guys too.

I never noticed this, so if it did it must hurt them so little as to not matter (Not like it caused poison status to the party when I saw them smack in the middle of it, anyways).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

coleman francis posted:

Explains some things

it doesn't, unless he's confused.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Nihilarian posted:

it doesn't, unless he's confused.

Every time he used it my party would stumble around coughing. Now that you mention it I never noticed if they took damage or not but the fact it made them stop attacking made me stop using it.

Of course I might just be crazy, that is very possible.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Your teammates take very little damage from, but immensely overreact to friendly fire like spells. Fun times.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you cut out the entire main storyline and redistributed that freed up time and effort to polishing the combat and making the world feel a bit less empty, you could package this as Monster Hunter: Sweet Ride Edition and it'd be GOTY.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I'd be way more into MonHun: Sick Rides than whatever the gently caress is going on in this game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

gently caress it, there's chocobos to ride

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Me irl, whatever, who cares
As the name of this chapter heavily implies we've just reached the point where the world finally opens up. And with that comes a BUTTLOAD of sidequests. It sucks that you don't get to find out what kind of quest it is until you accept it, cus there's a lot of menial or annoying stuff that I'd say is better left skipped.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

As long as the Chocobo is pink I'll be happy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lunethex posted:

As long as the Chocobo is pink I'll be happy.

Would you like all of them to be so, or would you want to single out one character to be the one riding a pink chocobo?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Section Z posted:

Would you like all of them to be so, or would you want to single out one character to be the one riding a pink chocobo?

Are chocobos still pastel, like in FF13? Because a pink one should match noct's vest pretty well in that case.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Me irl, whatever, who cares

Zenostein posted:

Are chocobos still pastel, like in FF13? Because a pink one should match noct's vest pretty well in that case.

You unlock colours from the inevitable chocobo races and quests I think, and they range from soft pastels to IN YOUR FACE NEONS.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dimenticon posted:

You unlock colours from the inevitable chocobo races and quests I think, and they range from soft pastels to IN YOUR FACE NEONS.

Yeah it's amazing :allears: Note to self actually bother with choco racing. After I get around to catching that drat sidequest fish at Golden QuaKey.

The other big fish can go gently caress itself. You can go gently caress yourself Gladio "Hey Noct, wanna catch a fish that doesn't even show up on radar after you've cleaned out the pont while your Fishing level 6? :downs:" :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Chan
May 13, 2007

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheese Doodles, and masturbating do not constitute 'plans' in my book!
I would like to call attention to the fact that a mariachi outfit has just been released in a DLC and you will definitely want to look into this.

• Locked thread