Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

In general the Wii-U version looks pretty solid, it's "good enough" for me like Cyndi Lauper once said about The Goonies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a feeling the Wii U version is going to go up in value a bit. Once the Wii U is dead and gone, due to the rarity of the system and many of the games, it will likely be something that has a good secondary market. In 5 years or more.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
The wii u version doesn't even look that bad! Yeah the draw distance is smaller and I'm sure there'll be pop-in, but I can live with that. To me the important part is that it looks like they fixed the washed-out coloring of the E3 build.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

speedrun botw wii u edition

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lotta people consoling themselves about not preordering a switch itt :smugdog:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think the WiiU version is going to be collectible to anyone except for someone who for some reason wants a WiiU version. Gamecube TP is collectible because it is a version of the game without a bunch of dumb waggle controls. The controls are going to be pretty much the same for WiiU and Switch. Aside from some second screen stuff available in the WiiU version. It will look better on the Switch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are also a poo poo ton fewer GC disks out there than Wii.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I reserved the special edition with the intention of just dropping down to the normal edition. But I think I might just keep the SE. The map and carrying case look pretty cool.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Arcland posted:

I reserved the special edition with the intention of just dropping down to the normal edition. But I think I might just keep the SE. The map and carrying case look pretty cool.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the map? I have my Zelda 1 manual map framed on a wall, going to throw this one up next to it.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Nephzinho posted:

Does anyone know the dimensions of the map? I have my Zelda 1 manual map framed on a wall, going to throw this one up next to it.

About this big

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm still annoyed the EU special edition has no map or case, the only things worth buying one for.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm playing twilight princess HD and I had forgotten how clunkily Link moved. Like, you gotta do really wide turns and stuff. Very awkward.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He's a big boy who makes big moves.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I'd love to get a special edition, but I didn't preorder in the first five minutes so I'll probably have to settle for regular.

Oh well, game's still gonna own.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Augus posted:

I hope you can turn the HUD (or at least the minimap) off in this game. I don't need any drat handholding!

Shout outs to witcher 3 to let me be as picky as I want in all things HUD

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

dublish posted:

I'd love to get a special edition, but I didn't preorder in the first five minutes so I'll probably have to settle for regular.

Oh well, game's still gonna own.

TRU and BB still put them up almost every day for a few minutes. BB hasn't in a few days but TRU still has been.

Best bet is to find the page and just refresh it ever couple of minutes.

Also, there are usually some floating around on release day if you are diligent in your search.

And finally, Target has the SE on their website but it has never gone on sale. So they should have some at some point.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, the non regular versions of Zelda are gone. Good luck.

Even the Special Editions? :smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Even the Special Editions? :smith:

Yup.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Friends I have been playing Ocarina of Time and I am in the Water Temple. Please pray for Fangio*.

*that's me

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Friends I have been playing Ocarina of Time and I am in the Water Temple. Please pray for Fangio*.

*that's me

water temple isn't that hard, it's just tedious

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you're on the 3DS version, it's way less tedious even.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

If you're on the 3DS version, it's way less tedious even.

:agreed:

the biggest annoyance of the water temple is having to equip and unequip the iron boots, and in the n64 original, you have to do that through the pause menu, but the 3ds remake has a hotkey on the touch screen.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

It's less tedious but still ... pretty fuckin tedious. Like I know what to do but I am not diggin' doing it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

It's less tedious but still ... pretty fuckin tedious. Like I know what to do but I am not diggin' doing it.

good luck fangio!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

good luck fangio!

Thank you. Your faith and encouragement will carry me to victory.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

codenameFANGIO posted:

How would you do it considering the whole temple is based around them and the hookshot?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I finally beat Skyward Sword. I'm not even able to enjoy the ending because the final boss was total bullshit. The waggle mechanics totally break down during this fight. Trying to get skyward strikes to register was already a bit annoying, it's even more annoying when you have to get it to register while a boss keeps charging. I kept dying because it wouldn't realize I have the wiimote vertical, then I try to throw it and it didn't register that either. Or it somehow lost Z targeting while I was doing all that and I just threw the skyward strike into nothing and then lose three hearts. What a lovely way to end what was a pretty cool game. The game would have been really cool with motion controls that actually work well.

Now i'm off to another Zelda game. Either Majora's Mask or Wind Waker. Probably play Minish Cap on my DS as well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I nearly gave up on the final fight. You are "supposed" to use the skyward strikes, and like you, I couldn't get them to work consistently. I ended up cheesing the fight by just running at him and waggling like crazy till I was low on hearts then potioning twice. Super easy that way. Another reason that game is terrible.

All three of your next choices are really good. I'd say do MC first because its only 10 hours or so. Perhaps 15. The other two are probably the two best in the series so you can't go wrong.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

*that's me

The real issue comes when you don't do the water temple in one sitting.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Water temple = best temple. Fight me, nerds.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Earnestly posted:

Water temple = best temple. Fight me, nerds.

Mark Brown account spotted.

(I'll fight along side you.)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

How would you do it considering the whole temple is based around them and the hookshot?

:confused:

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I have no idea why nintendo insists on forcing gimmicks into places they don't belong. If motion controls work then yeah go for it. But if they don't then they only hurt the game. But they wont. loving. let. it. go. I'm pretty salty about SS. I liked TP because all you had to do was shake the wiimote. Nothing precise.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The gimmicks in SS, PH and ST all failed. The gimmick in MM works, though. Not a good percentage but you have to give Ninty credit for trying new things. Even if they are retarded and shouldn't have gotten past the early dev stage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really liked the remote for aiming the bow or the claw shot. Joysticks are terrible for that. If they could do gyro aiming in breath of the wild, that would be cool. That's really the only thing it's good for though. Now that I've finished the game, I would rather have a normal controller. I still liked most of the game but the controls biffed it.

gecs
Oct 23, 2010
A lot of it depends on the placement of the motion bar. I played through SS a couple years ago on a large wall-mounted TV that was probably mounted at shoulder height, and I found the controls terribly frustrating. Even simple poo poo like just getting the sword to swing in the right direction was haphazard, making enemies like Lizalfos and Stalfos just awful. I just completed a second play-through of it this week with a regular TV a little above couch-level though, and I had a lot better time with the controls (case in point: one of my worst memories of the first play-through was the first skydiving challenge they have you do off the statue. I could not loving get Link to fall straight down, and probably finished it in about 15 tries. The second play-through I finished it in one :downs:). The controls were still a little shaky in spots, but a lot more tolerable. A regular controller would've still been better though. The whole intent of "gently caress yeah, it's like I'm swinging a real sword/flying on a bird/...!" just never works. I still enjoyed the game well enough all in all, so I hope they improve the controls if it ever gets re-released.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well you said it was tedious, so how would you make it not tedious? In the 3DS version you literally just press a button to put the boots on and off and I don't see how that's tedious at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

gecs posted:

A lot of it depends on the placement of the motion bar. I played through SS a couple years ago on a large wall-mounted TV that was probably mounted at shoulder height, and I found the controls terribly frustrating. Even simple poo poo like just getting the sword to swing in the right direction was haphazard, making enemies like Lizalfos and Stalfos just awful. I just completed a second play-through of it this week with a regular TV a little above couch-level though, and I had a lot better time with the controls (case in point: one of my worst memories of the first play-through was the first skydiving challenge they have you do off the statue. I could not loving get Link to fall straight down, and probably finished it in about 15 tries. The second play-through I finished it in one :downs:). The controls were still a little shaky in spots, but a lot more tolerable. A regular controller would've still been better though. The whole intent of "gently caress yeah, it's like I'm swinging a real sword/flying on a bird/...!" just never works. I still enjoyed the game well enough all in all, so I hope they improve the controls if it ever gets re-released.

Where your TV is located doesn't matter. Skyward Sword doesn't use the sensor bar at all.

gecs
Oct 23, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Where your TV is located doesn't matter. Skyward Sword doesn't use the sensor bar at all.

Huh, well I'll be damned. Guess the controls just clicked for me better this time around for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Well you said it was tedious, so how would you make it not tedious? In the 3DS version you literally just press a button to put the boots on and off and I don't see how that's tedious at all.

I feel like I'm getting messed with but

He was talking about the whole dungeon not just the boots