Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Barudak posted:

My workplace training has always stressed not touching any employee under you ever due to possible implications. I sat through one that literally recommended only handshakes and hi fives, and that to be extra sure to only do that whennother coworkers were present and that touching a coworkers arm as described above could be grounds for sexual harassment.

Yeah, seriously, touching is a big time no-no in most office environments I've ever worked in. It's treated a little differently with same-gendered interactions but man does it ever skeeve me out when some dude aggressively grabs my shoulder or whatever when we're trying to conversate. If you don't know me outside of work, keep your hands to yourself, it is The Rudest Goddamn Thing

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

You were both women; it seems weird to men because male friendships have little/none of the comraderie or emotional (and non-sexual but physical) intimacy that women seem often to have. We've all seen the back-pat-tough-bro-hug that is all that many men feel comfortable doing

Yeah, I guess this is a good point. I've had some level of emotional intimacy with my closest friends but I've only ever had one male friendship that had any level of physical intimacy and in hindsight it was extremely inappropriate.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

quote:

My girlfriend [24F] knowingly gave me [23M] an STI

I've been officially dating this girl for over a month now and things have been going well. She wanted to start having unprotected sex so I said we should get tested.

(Btw, the rule with STI testing is that if the doctor's office does NOT call you after your results come in, you have nothing to worry about. We both talked about this)

I go to my doctors office to ask if anything came up, and they said no you are clean. The next day I go to my gf's place and tell her the good news. My results took 3 days to come in, I assumed the same for her. She said the doc hasn't called her (A week and a half after her test) and we have nothing to worry about.

We end up having unprotected sex, and the next day she goes to her doc to "refill" her prescription. After her appointment she says we need to talk. Then tells me she has chlamydia.

I ask her for more details. She ends up telling me that her doctor called her the day before and told her she needs to come in to discuss the test results. Later that evening is when I came over to her place, so she already knew that something came up in the test. She still decided to have unprotected sex with me.

I asked her what she was thinking and she said she was hoping that it would be something that wouldn't affect me, something that she wouldn't have to reveal to me (i'm guessing a yeast infection or something? lol..) What a stupid, stupid, effing stupid move I told her.

She said that she had unprotected sex with one guy before she started seeing me, and I believe her. (We dated for one month, and then officially began a relationship. Its been two months since I've met her. She slept with this guy right before we started dating) So i don't think she cheated on me, she just got infected with chlamydia before we started dating.

However, I am pissed that she knew had something and still decided it was ok to have unprotected sex. I feel so betrayed. The drive to her place when she told me she needed to talk was the worst 20 minutes of my life. I thought I had HIV. She could have potentially ruined my life.

My feelings are conflicted. We had so much fun together and I thought I was falling in love with her, and then she fucks me over. We talked about it and she is very apologetic, says I deserve better than her, and that she will work hard to regain my trust. Should I stay or should i go?

TL;DR-- Told my GF I was STI-free, she told me the same. However, she lied and knew she had something before having unprotected sex with me. Now I have chlamydia (very treatable). My conflict is that her stupid decision could have potentially ruined my life (like HIV). She is sorry and says I deserve someone better but is very willing to work hard in this relationship to regain my trust. What would you do?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

:murder:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gaunab posted:

quote:

She is sorry and says I deserve someone better

she's right :sever:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I keep wanting to "You know, it's not like it's a serious STI..." but jesus loving christ what if it was HIV? What a horrible loving person

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

catch HIV, give her it then sever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Now this aint for everyone cause it sounds insane when i type it sounds like an obvious loony person: use protection that prevents sexually transmitted diseases and then, once serious snd considerimg the ol skin to skin have both partners get checked and share their clean bill of health.

Also this lady wont even share what it is so its bad and dude needs a doctor yesterday.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Barudak posted:

Also this lady wont even share what it is so its bad and dude needs a doctor yesterday.

She said it's chlamydia, he'll be fine.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
HIV, by the way, can show up six months to a year after having been contracted, so either of them could have undetectable HIV. Having unprotected sex always carries the possibility of a communicable disease.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

It's pretty drat hard for a guy to catch HIV from vanilla heterosexual sex unless something weird is going on

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

subhuman filth posted:

It's pretty drat hard for a guy to catch HIV from vanilla heterosexual sex unless something weird is going on

It's hard but not impossible and this isn't an excuse to not tell your partner you have an STI

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im incredibly full of disease but my wife knows this already

its one of the reasons she fell for me actually

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Zzulu posted:

im incredibly full of disease but my wife knows this already

its one of the reasons she fell for me actually

good avatar post combo right here.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The fact that dude is debating whether or not to leave her after she gave him chlamydia is hilarious. He should have instantly blocked her number and then ignored her for life. I get that people are scared of being alone, but goddamn. Have some self-respect. :allears:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The fact that dude is debating whether or not to leave her after she gave him chlamydia is hilarious. He should have instantly blocked her number and then ignored her for life. I get that people are scared of being alone, but goddamn. Have some self-respect. :allears:

It'd be one thing if she really didn't know, it's a relatively minor infection, but the fact that she knew she had something, but had no idea what it was, and then slept with him anyway? That's what really skeeves me out here. If she had a viral infection rather than bacterial he'd be stuck with a lifelong problem.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

You were both women; it seems weird to men because male friendships have little/none of the comraderie or emotional (and non-sexual but physical) intimacy that women seem often to have. We've all seen the back-pat-tough-bro-hug that is all that many men feel comfortable doing

On the other hand, one reason that women sometimes do it to men is that we do not realize that men perceive it so differently. Because yeah, women who are friends touch each other all the time.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

PleasingFungus posted:

from the comments

i just really love the deadpan tone of this one.

To be fair, cocaine is an excellent topical numbing agent. That's why it was in toothache drops and poo poo back in the 1800s.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pick posted:

On the other hand, one reason that women sometimes do it to men is that we do not realize that men perceive it so differently. Because yeah, women who are friends touch each other all the time.

A lot of people are really bad at social context. There's a line between someone of the opposite sex touching your arm because they are flirting and that same person touching your arm but for literally any other reason. Sometimes that line is very fine and hard to distinguish, but more often than not, it's not that hard, people are just bad at understanding context/social cues.

Also, autism probably plays a huge part in a lot of these stories.

*edit*

the safe bet, especially with coworkers is: They Are Not Flirting, if you think they are, ignore those thoughts and think something else.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 23, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
it'd be a lot easier if women would just touch my penis instead if they were interested in me

just give it a gentle pat,

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pick posted:

as a guy, male friendship is often incredibly hollow due to a bunch of stuff but with the "no psychical touch" thing I think it's a combo of societal homophobia and the idea that men shouldnt have/show emotion. It's a real bummer honestly :(

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I quite frankly just don't see the need to hug my friends or sit extremely close to them and rub up against them like girls seem comfortable doing with their friends

what is even the point of that :colbert:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One random example, which always strikes me as funny, is how women and man handle sharing hotel rooms. I remember watching eight guys work out how to arrange themselves in a room with two beds, and they actually had to argue whether or not it was OK for two men to share a bed provided that they were facing different directions, so one guy's head was by the other guys feet, and vice versa. A big part of the argument was there was not enough floor space for six people.

Women, on the other hand, it will just share the loving bed like normal people?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
other men are a threat:catbert:

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Zzulu posted:

I quite frankly just don't see the need to hug my friends or sit extremely close to them and rub up against them like girls seem comfortable doing with their friends

what is even the point of that :colbert:

touch releases oxytocin, which is good :)

but society says that

Zzulu posted:

other men are a threat:catbert:
which is bad :( so we end up with this:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, see? There is hug in a can, who I hugged within 10 seconds of meeting her. And it was good :c00l: :hf: :c00l:

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

:c00l::hf::c00l:

Here's a /r/relationships post.

My BF [23 M] lied to me [25 F] about having cancer and I'm utterly destroyed

quote:

I've been with my boyfriend for 4 months. We met through a mutual friend. Everything was going so well. 2 months ago he went to the hospital for a routine check-up and he told me they found 2 spots on his left lung and they want to investigate it more. When I met him he looked weak and depressed, it was all very believable. He goes back to do more scans, and a month ago a biopsy which confirms he has stage 1 lung cancer and a lung cyst. I become extremely depressed, start taking sleep medication, anxiety medication, I’m forced to tell my boss and my colleagues my bf has lung cancer because I frequently miss work to go see him when he feels “down”. Sometimes he would cancel our meetings last minute because he’s depressed and does not want to see anyone. I would not even be mad, because I only think about his well-being and whatever made him happy. I really stopped living for myself and was at his complete disposal.
2 weeks ago we were supposed to spend the weekend together. I go clubbing with my friends on Friday evening (he wasn’t available) and when I tell him in the morning he tells me he was sick all night, vomiting and coughing blood, and he sent me messages to which I did not reply to (I did not receive any message from him that night). He tells me he is going to get hospitalized in a clinic, his grandpa was going with him, he had a pleural effusion (liquid in the lung) and had tubes coming out of his throat. The next day he didn’t reply to one of my texts so I called his grandpa. His grandpa more or less says “Oh your bf is at home, he is not hospitalized, why the gently caress are you even calling me ? lolbye”
My whole world shatters in that moment. I call my boyfriend and ask him “Is your grandpa by your side” and he replies yeah he is. I call the clinic and they tell me they never heard about this person.
He was lying.
I realized he never let me go with him to his appointments; he never let me see his medical record. I felt so stupid. I started questioning everything he ever told me. Like the fact he owned a small company that specialized in training future fitness coaches (It was believable because he is muscular as gently caress and knows a fuckload about fitness). I called the administration and his company didn’t even exist. I called a friend who works for the ministry of finance in my country and it turns out my bf never even paid any taxes in his life. If his job didn”t exist then where does he get his money from ? He always treats me to nice restaurants and buys me gifts.
I confronted him, telling him I wanted to break up (on the phone). He became verbally violent, then started crying, then confessed the cancer lie (but not the lie about his job). He accepted to see a therapist with me, we have an appointment tomorrow. Whenever I bring up his job he becomes super angry, inventing imaginary clients, employees and colleagues that don’t even exist.
I’m really under shock… I want to know if there is hope since he accepted to see a therapist ? I still love him very much and I can’t bring myself to break up with him….
Tl;dr: BF (23) lied about having lung cancer and his profession. He accepted to see a therapist. Is there hope ?

Don't fake having cancer, buddies

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Ladies and gentlemen, get your murder-smileys ready:

quote:

I've been with my boyfriend for 4 months. We met through a mutual friend. Everything was going so well. 2 months ago he went to the hospital for a routine check-up and he told me they found 2 spots on his left lung and they want to investigate it more. When I met him he looked weak and depressed, it was all very believable. He goes back to do more scans, and a month ago a biopsy which confirms he has stage 1 lung cancer and a lung cyst. I become extremely depressed, start taking sleep medication, anxiety medication, I’m forced to tell my boss and my colleagues my bf has lung cancer because I frequently miss work to go see him when he feels “down”. Sometimes he would cancel our meetings last minute because he’s depressed and does not want to see anyone. I would not even be mad, because I only think about his well-being and whatever made him happy. I really stopped living for myself and was at his complete disposal.

2 weeks ago we were supposed to spend the weekend together. I go clubbing with my friends on Friday evening (he wasn’t available) and when I tell him in the morning he tells me he was sick all night, vomiting and coughing blood, and he sent me messages to which I did not reply to (I did not receive any message from him that night). He tells me he is going to get hospitalized in a clinic, his grandpa was going with him, he had a pleural effusion (liquid in the lung) and had tubes coming out of his throat. The next day he didn’t reply to one of my texts so I called his grandpa. His grandpa more or less says “Oh your bf is at home, he is not hospitalized, why the gently caress are you even calling me ? lolbye”
My whole world shatters in that moment. I call my boyfriend and ask him “Is your grandpa by your side” and he replies yeah he is. I call the clinic and they tell me they never heard about this person. He was lying.

I realized he never let me go with him to his appointments; he never let me see his medical record. I felt so stupid. I started questioning everything he ever told me. Like the fact he owned a small company that specialized in training future fitness coaches (It was believable because he is muscular as gently caress and knows a fuckload about fitness). I called the administration and his company didn’t even exist. I called a friend who works for the ministry of finance in my country and it turns out my bf never even paid any taxes in his life. If his job didn”t exist then where does he get his money from ? He always treats me to nice restaurants and buys me gifts.

I confronted him, telling him I wanted to break up (on the phone). He became verbally violent, then started crying, then confessed the cancer lie (but not the lie about his job). He accepted to see a therapist with me, we have an appointment tomorrow. Whenever I bring up his job he becomes super angry, inventing imaginary clients, employees and colleagues that don’t even exist.

I’m really under shock… I want to know if there is hope since he accepted to see a therapist ? I still love him very much and I can’t bring myself to break up with him….

Tl;dr: BF (23) lied about having lung cancer and his profession. He accepted to see a therapist. Is there hope ?

Yes, this seems like the sort of thing that would turn out well if you could just get him some therapy. After all, you've already spent four months with him, so only a fool would walk away now!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I feel the occasional rear end grab or ball fondle is perfectly normal among heterosexual men.

On a more serious note, I have some pretty emotionally intimate relationships with my bros and I go for some straight up enveloping hugs n poo poo. I don't know if that's from effort on my end or what.

Obviously, yeah, there's dudes who only I really only do the back pat thing with (and depending on situation it's more appropriate anyway) and I'm not deep feelsies buddies with every man in my life. It certainly takes more effort to foster that level of intimacy with men than women, in my experience.

Still never entirely sure about the appropriate level of physical contact with a woman. I just offer hugs and roll with it.

Really though, a firm handshake and a goofy smile is sufficient for either sex, especially at a more official function.

:glomp:

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Actually men don't touch other people because there is a roiling undercurrent of potential violence with other men that can safely be avoided with social ritual and a roiling undercurrent of potential litigation with women that can be safely avoided with social ritual

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pick posted:

One random example, which always strikes me as funny, is how women and man handle sharing hotel rooms. I remember watching eight guys work out how to arrange themselves in a room with two beds, and they actually had to argue whether or not it was OK for two men to share a bed provided that they were facing different directions, so one guy's head was by the other guys feet, and vice versa. A big part of the argument was there was not enough floor space for six people.

Women, on the other hand, it will just share the loving bed like normal people?

I've shared hotel beds with friends just fine. I don't know what was the problem with those guys.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

as a guy, male friendship is often incredibly hollow due to a bunch of stuff but with the "no psychical touch" thing I think it's a combo of societal homophobia and the idea that men shouldnt have/show emotion. It's a real bummer honestly :(

If you think this is a bummer or it's Society's Oppressive Rules keeping you from rubbing all over loose acquaintances you've either never been in the same room with one of those overly touchy invasive 'free hugs' type people, or you are one of those people

homophobia has little to nothing to do with the awful sensation of someone you aren't deeply intimate with, male or female, getting all up in your poo poo out of nowhere

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Andrast posted:

I've shared hotel beds with friends just fine. I don't know what was the problem with those guys.

Sharing hotel beds is how I discovered I'm a sleep cuddler!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Hug in a Can posted:

:c00l::hf::c00l:

Here's a /r/relationships post.

4 months, this dude is habitually lying about massive stuff, why the gently caress bother with therapy? Just loving sever.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you think this is a bummer you've either never been in the same room with one of those overly touchy invasive 'free hugs' type people, or you are one of those people

homophobia has little to nothing to do with the awful sensation of someone you aren't deeply intimate with, male or female, getting all up in your poo poo out of nowhere

:glomp:

E: I'm more hug as greeting/farewell or you're obviously very distressed, kinda guy. Otherwise not very touchy, nor do I tend to sit or stand particularly close to people. :shrug:

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 23, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was skeptical about canned hugs, but much like tomatoes, they are clearly canned at the height of freshness.

quote:

I knew a girl in high school who faked having cancer, it is surprisingly common?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hug a lot of people. Don't care how many people I hurt by doing it :c00l:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JVwfJGfins

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

I was skeptical about canned hugs, but much like tomatoes, they are clearly canned at the height of freshness.

I knew a girl in high school who faked having cancer, it is surprisingly common?

I think it's pretty drat common but I would never, ever have imagined someone at that age doing it

It's the kind of thing you either do when you're a teenager or do when you're at the height of your midlife crisis. It's really weird to do it during the peak years of your life. 20-35 feels like a good block of time to not need to fake cancer to get the respect of your peers

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Gaunab posted:

I hug a lot of people. Don't care how many people I hurt by doing it :c00l:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JVwfJGfins

Same, but with firing my .22 through people's living room windows

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

venn diagram of people mad about 'society's arbitrary rules about hugging' and 'society's arbitrary rules about bathing' a circle etc.

My [22 F] of 1 year, ignored me [22 M] for an entire day. Am I wrong?

quote:

My girlfriend ignored my phone calls, face times, texts, snapchats, tweets, DM's, and Facebook messages for 9 hours I'm away at school so I began to worry because she has never gone that long without responding. I contacted her parents and her closest friends. When she finally responds she claimed she was ignoring me because she was mad I didn't answer her earlier in the day (my phone died). Her reason behind ignoring me made me so mad that I have to ask an outside source if I'm wrong or if what she did was completely childish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you think this is a bummer or it's Society's Oppressive Rules keeping you from rubbing all over loose acquaintances you've either never been in the same room with one of those overly touchy invasive 'free hugs' type people, or you are one of those people

I'm not talking about that hugging strangers, I'm talking about the fact that most men are so uncomfortable with friendly, nonsexual contact that "man doesn't know how to comfort sad person so awkwardly pats them on the shoulder" is so common that it's played for laughs in many movies/tv shows/commercials