Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Holy poo poo, I'm loving the 50 year mission book. Just started the 2nd one, but I had no idea there were so many almost shows and movies they tried doing. I knew about phase 2,but not things like academy years or planet of the titans.

I also started getting anxiety just listening to the stories about writers dealing with Roddenberry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

McSpanky posted:

The other thing about fruitcake is, if you add rum cake preparation they're super awesome. My grandma made a rummy fruitcake that I'm pretty sure was a fire hazard.

Fruitcake with rum is just rum cake. Take it from me, I know this poo poo, I'm Jamaican.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Do Klingons have special eyes or do they just really like the dark room with red light-bulbs aesthetic? Like was Worf constantly in agony and half blind from how bright it was on Enterprise and that's why he could never hit bad guys with his phaser?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The are a people willing to suffer for the aesthetic. It's why they always lose.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Pwnstar posted:

Do Klingons have special eyes or do they just really like the dark room with red light-bulbs aesthetic? Like was Worf constantly in agony and half blind from how bright it was on Enterprise and that's why he could never hit bad guys with his phaser?

Some really old book said Klingon visual spectrum stops at blue so they might see way more reds/oranges than humans do.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pwnstar posted:

Actually dark rooms with red lights are very common on submarines since red light allows you to maintain night vision.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Duckbag posted:

Galileo 7 stuff

This is another episode that I love because Scotty gets to be an understated badass. Everyone else is losing their poo poo, but Scotty's just going about his business and fixing the shuttle. When the fuel lines break or whatever his response is effectively "welp, guess we're all dead now."

:love: Scotty

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Amazon Alexa finally realizes its full potential.

(You can use "Computer" as its wake word.)

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Well when you put it that way it sounds absolutely loving retarded.

I actually really enjoyed the "Spock's first command" part of Galileo and think Nimoy gave a fantastic performance. It's just all the rest of it that was dumb and contrived. I'm still trying to decide whether I should blame the guest actors or the script, but either way the dialog is just hilariously overheated with lots of great ACT-ing, so I'd heartily recommend it to anyone who appreciates good scenery chewing. I'm not sure this episode qualifies as one of the Thirty Good Ones, but it's definitely better than most of the third season, at least.

e:

Paradoxish posted:

This is another episode that I love because Scotty gets to be an understated badass. Everyone else is losing their poo poo, but Scotty's just going about his business and fixing the shuttle. When the fuel lines break or whatever his response is effectively "welp, guess we're all dead now."

:love: Scotty

Yeah, I forgot to mention that, but I love Scott's role here. Doohan (or the director, maybe) made the clever choice of making Scotty go soft when everyone else goes loud. He never really raises his voice, doesn't get involved in the petty squabbling, and quietly backs Spock throughout even as McCoy and the others are freaking out and actively undermining his authority. There's one great moment where the melodrama is starting up again and he just sort of chuckles like "you idiots" and gets back to work. It's a much more nuanced character than the "they cannae hold much longer!" Scotty we see in a lot of episodes.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 24, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazy posted:

Amazon Alexa finally realizes its full potential.

(You can use "Computer" as its wake word.)

Finally

Only registered members can see post attachments!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Duckbag posted:

I still feel bad for the vaporized crewman in that episode. No one even seems to notice. If it were TOS or TNG, I'd just laugh at another senseless redshirt death, but DS9 never did that, so I can't help but feel for the poor bastard who got to be the one exception.

Civil Defense is basically a Paranoia game (or at least, how I run Paranoia), all the way down to the killer vending machine, so you gotta have at least one death. But that also means he'll get another five chances to screw it up down the line.

GOD, I love that episode.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Watching Star Trek try to apply technobabble to magic psi powers is painful.

Eye of the Beholder
"Counselor, could your empathic abilities have somehow sensed a traumatic event that happened there 8 years ago."
"Pffft I don't see how that's possible, get your Tales of the Crypt poo poo outta here."
Later
"Captain the subspace discharge from the plasma stream must have trapped the telepath's strong emotions, like a photographic imprint that I was able to see years later!"

Also a good we're-totally-not-doing-Lord-of-the-Rings-fantasy-this-is-science moment in Gambit.

"Yes it is a legendary ancient weapon but there is nothing supernatural or magical about it."
"Oh okay what does it do."
"It lets me kill people with my spooky mind powers"

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

macnbc posted:

Actually dark rooms with red lights are very common on submarines since red light allows you to maintain night vision.

Cool info, thank you. Unless that's what they want us to think and disguised Klingon crews have taken over our strategic naval vehicles.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Unexpected Star Trek sighting:

(Alt text: a picture of Data patting his head under the phrase "pat head" on a sheet listing parts of speech)

Wish I knew whether it was on purpose or the teacher just picked it randomly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

That picture just makes me sad now.

On the other hand...

After The War posted:

Civil Defense is basically a Paranoia game (or at least, how I run Paranoia), all the way down to the killer vending machine, so you gotta have at least one death. But that also means he'll get another five chances to screw it up down the line.

GOD, I love that episode.

That episode was what turned me from staunchly anti-Dukat to Dukat Fan Club President as a kid, so it's always awesome.

E: Also yes my mothers meatloaf was a food crime.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 24, 2017

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Volume 2 of Fifty Year Mission is STILL not available digitally in Australia as far asi can tell. What the hell.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Anyone know how DS9 did the jumja sticks? Those things have always looked incredibly delicious to me.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Beachcomber posted:

Anyone know how DS9 did the jumja sticks? Those things have always looked incredibly delicious to me.

They look like a resin or silicone prop in most images. If I wanted to make an edible one I'd go with an extra thick jello on a stick.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Beachcomber posted:

Probably some sort of resin so they can reuse the props.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Looked like a giant one of those maple syrup candies you get in Canada.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gaz-L posted:

Looked like a giant one of those maple syrup candies you get in Canada.
I've been imagining it sort of between maple candy and fruit leather in texture, very sweet, but citrus flavored instead of maple. I might need to do some candy making research...

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm doing a TOS run and I keep forgetting how ridiculously over the top the redshirt deaths in The Apple are.

This episode had four on-screen redshirt deaths and I'm pretty sure it's solely responsible for the redshirt = death part of TOS' legacy.

Death one: Shot to death by a flower (Spock later survives the same thing)

Death two: Stepped on a rock and exploded

Death three: Struck by lightning (Spock later survives the same thing)

Death four: Beaten to death by tribesmen

The only thing that would have made it blatant is if there were one remaining redshirt. He looks around nervously. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy all turn around and look at him expectantly. He explodes. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy return to business.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VitalSigns posted:

Eye of the Beholder
"Counselor, could your empathic abilities have somehow sensed a traumatic event that happened there 8 years ago."
"Pffft I don't see how that's possible, get your Tales of the Crypt poo poo outta here."
Later
"Captain the subspace discharge from the plasma stream must have trapped the telepath's strong emotions, like a photographic imprint that I was able to see years later!"

I really like Eye of the Beholder until, like the last 5 minutes. It has a great, nightmare quality to it, and everything being off kilter and poo poo just getting weird is great. Then they have to go and explain it all.

Civil Defense is an episode I always feel is earlier in the series than it is. But yea It's one of my favorite episodes as it's one of those episodes that show what a strong ensemble they have in Ds9 and they all have something to do.

Orv
May 4, 2011

McNally posted:

I'm doing a TOS run and I keep forgetting how ridiculously over the top the redshirt deaths in The Apple are.

This episode had four on-screen redshirt deaths and I'm pretty sure it's solely responsible for the redshirt = death part of TOS' legacy.

Death one: Shot to death by a flower (Spock later survives the same thing)

Death two: Stepped on a rock and exploded

Death three: Struck by lightning (Spock later survives the same thing)

Death four: Beaten to death by tribesmen

The only thing that would have made it blatant is if there were one remaining redshirt. He looks around nervously. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy all turn around and look at him expectantly. He explodes. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy return to business.

I always imagined that Scotty or maybe Chekov would probably try to get chummy with the redshirts, and Kirk would have to tell them off like they were kids playing with a feral dog.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I posted this in the GBS thread, but I haven't seen it here yet, and it deserves to be spread. It's my favourite quote from the 50 Years books.

Rick Berman posted:

When a show is having problems in the ratings, which Enterprise definitely was, the powers that be come and say, “What can you do to fix it?” Brannon and I spent a great deal of time thinking about that. We finally decided on doing something that Star Trek had never done before, which was to create a seasonal arc. On Next Generation, an arc never lasted more than two episodes. But you look at all of the shows that were having continuing storylines and we decided to try it. And we created a seasonal arc and I think it helped the ratings. Not a lot, but it definitely helped. It also allowed Archer to become a stronger character and a tougher character. The same thing is true with most of the cast.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MorgaineDax posted:

I posted this in the GBS thread, but I haven't seen it here yet, and it deserves to be spread. It's my favourite quote from the 50 Years books.

Should this be Rickberman.txt?

Seriously though, we should be eternally grateful that DS9 wasn't important enough to merit his attention.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MorgaineDax posted:

"The Dominion what?" -Rick Berman

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

To be fair, the Dominion War wasn't a seasonal arc.

It was the whole dang show

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

To be fair, the Dominion War wasn't a seasonal arc.

It was the whole dang show

I mean, not the first bit at all. Most of it, though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

twistedmentat posted:

Civil Defense is an episode I always feel is earlier in the series than it is. But yea It's one of my favorite episodes as it's one of those episodes that show what a strong ensemble they have in Ds9 and they all have something to do.

Also great for driving home how loving incompetent (and completely unimaginative from a writing standpoint) security is on the flagship.

Every replicator on the Ent-D could be a boarding defense weapon against any intruder that's not the same race as anyone on the ship. Those forcefields could divide up the ship and corral enemy forces while allowing Starfleet personnel to pass through with an access code. Terminate the gravity and suck out all the air from any section with enemy lifesigns and no friendlies.

And for the love of god run a few drills where the bridge crew has to react to an unexpected transport and shoot an intruder before he fully materializes. Picard and Riker even talk about how one of them will probably die before they can move if they beam onto the bridge in 11001001, but whenever intruders try that the whole crew just sorta stares at them and finally Worf fires too late and misses.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Odo dragging Worf for how many security gently caress-ups the Enterprise had is seriously one of my favorite little things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's considered rude and unsportsmanlike to interfere with someone during transport.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Also great for driving home how loving incompetent (and completely unimaginative from a writing standpoint) security is on the flagship.

Every replicator on the Ent-D could be a boarding defense weapon against any intruder that's not the same race as anyone on the ship. Those forcefields could divide up the ship and corral enemy forces while allowing Starfleet personnel to pass through with an access code. Terminate the gravity and suck out all the air from any section with enemy lifesigns and no friendlies.

And for the love of god run a few drills where the bridge crew has to react to an unexpected transport and shoot an intruder before he fully materializes. Picard and Riker even talk about how one of them will probably die before they can move if they beam onto the bridge in 11001001, but whenever intruders try that the whole crew just sorta stares at them and finally Worf fires too late and misses.

As I've said before, it's not really intended as a warship, so much as a luxury cruise liner that could glass a planet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

Forcefields are a good point but aren't most of the replicators in personal quarters and lounge spaces?

Meanwhile on the Cardassian station they're all well situated for this purpose...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VitalSigns posted:

Eye of the Beholder
Later

Also a good we're-totally-not-doing-Lord-of-the-Rings-fantasy-this-is-science moment in Gambit.

"Yes it is a legendary ancient weapon but there is nothing supernatural or magical about it."
"Oh okay what does it do."
"It lets me kill people with my spooky mind powers"

I think this is one of the biggest things TOS has over TNG. TNG gets bogged down in reams of Piller filler about ectoplasmic phase-shifted spectral entities and reconfiguring the tricorders to emit an inverse tachyon pulse. TOS says Jack The Ripper can forcibly possess people, so let's just get everyone high as balls and then beam Ripper into space.

VitalSigns posted:

I've already posted this earlier in the thread, but I think the most extreme example of this is when the loving Ferengi manage to take the Enterprise in Rascals. Never mind the hilarious disconnect between the battle's dialogue and literally every other aspect of that part of the episode (the dialogue says "holy poo poo, we're getting blasted, there's probably dozens of fatalities just from the ship getting pummeled", while the score and editing and acting and lighting and EVERYTHING ELSE says "oh, i guess this is a problem? maybe??"), but it took all of, what, six?! Ferengi to somehow take over. Like okay I get that this was almost certainly a "okay guys, we gotta do a bottle show" situation and they couldn't afford blowing up the corridor set with a huge running phaser battle or something, but holy poo poo even without fancy intruder control trickery there should be a lot more bodies on the deck to take a starship.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Rebuttal: he's my number one dad.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I give that episode some leeway because it's a "light" episode (see above), and I figure they didn't really take over the ship, more like they held it hostage. Sure at any point the crew could have stormed the bridge and taken control back, but they would have taken some bridge crew casualties, better to just take it slow and de-escalate the situation. It's just some Ferengi after all. And besides, we know from experience there's nothing more dangerous to the Ent-D than an old surplus Bird of Prey.

It does make me wonder though, what happens if Picard or Riker lock out the command codes then get killed. Does the Enterprise become destine to just float around space forever because no one can even send a message to get an Admiral to fly out and override it?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

While we're plugging along slowly, about halfway through B5, our older daughters had too much homework to join us so my wife and I decided to start something new to her, and that I haven't seen since it ended.

Trip report: DS9, Emissary, Part 1

This is so bad, you guys. I mean it's not as bad as B5: The Gathering, and that's my favorite show of all time, so I'm not saying I quit or anything ridiculous like that. I do remember enjoying some of this later on. So far though, Colm Meaney and Patrick Stewart are carrying this and just embarrassing everyone else.

Is Trekschamen a thing?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

While we're plugging along slowly, about halfway through B5, our older daughters had too much homework to join us so my wife and I decided to start something new to her, and that I haven't seen since it ended.

Trip report: DS9, Emissary, Part 1

This is so bad, you guys. I mean it's not as bad as B5: The Gathering, and that's my favorite show of all time, so I'm not saying I quit or anything ridiculous like that. I do remember enjoying some of this later on. So far though, Colm Meaney and Patrick Stewart are carrying this and just embarrassing everyone else.

Is Trekschamen a thing?

Season 1 is definitely DS9's weakest season. Odo, Quark, and a few other fan favorites don't have much to do in Emissary if I remember correctly, you'll probably like it more once they get some spotlight. And you'll especially like it once they start getting into longer plot arcs in season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Emissary is the best pilot episode of Trek and its not particularly close.