Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Flikken posted:

It'll warm the cockles of my heart to see Mack and Gabriel get a ring

Yeah, I was happy to see Ware get a ring, even if it was with Denver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

NattyBo posted:

Cousins to SF for 2 first rounders somehow (non exclusive franchise?), Skins draft amazing defenders this year, sign Romo to 2 year deal, win Super Bowl in second season, he rides into the sunset

Romo is made of glass, I'm curious to see who signs him.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, I was happy to see Ware get a ring, even if it was with Denver.

Denver is not in your division let alone conference.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Denver is not in your division let alone conference.

wait, really? Since when?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Cash Monet posted:

Romo is made of glass, I'm curious to see who signs him.

You, when Kirk Cousins walks.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Chichevache posted:

Worked for them the last time they signed an aging nfce qb....

Lol

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If the Texans don't scoop up Romo immediately once he's released....

Well, they really should!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Kirios posted:

If the Texans don't scoop up Romo immediately once he's released....

Well, they really should!

Could they realistically afford him?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

Could they realistically afford him?

It's possible, but very, very unlikely. They've got $25M in space before they re-sign their free agents. That alone could be enough to get Romo in and keep Osweiler, but they owe Osweiler $16M guaranteed next year, plus a $3M prorated signing bonus on his cap hit comes to $19M. There is no way they can reduce that. A post June-1 cut will save $0, and a Pre June-1 cut would actually cost an extra $6M in cap room. They could probably move some things around to fit Romo in, but they'd likely still keep Osweiler and find themselves spending $35M on QBs. Which is bad.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Chichevache posted:

I wouldn't be mad kicking the tires on Romo.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's possible, but very, very unlikely. They've got $25M in space before they re-sign their free agents. That alone could be enough to get Romo in and keep Osweiler, but they owe Osweiler $16M guaranteed next year, plus a $3M prorated signing bonus on his cap hit comes to $19M. There is no way they can reduce that. A post June-1 cut will save $0, and a Pre June-1 cut would actually cost an extra $6M in cap room. They could probably move some things around to fit Romo in, but they'd likely still keep Osweiler and find themselves spending $35M on QBs. Which is bad.

on the other hand, there is precedent with the Texans on spending too much at QB

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Romo is a Jet, Bronco, 49er or Bear. Face it :twisted:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Febreeze posted:

on the other hand, there is precedent with the Texans on spending too much at QB

True, but people sometimes overlook that NFL owners are still people and don't always like to just throw away 16 million dollars on a guy who isn't even playing while also paying another 18 million dollars to a new guy

Like sure, Osweiler is awful and 16 million isn't a ton to a franchise that's worth three quarters of a billion dollars. But on the other hand, the Texans just made the playoffs, won a game, and they'll make money next year regardless of whether they have Osweiler or Romo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cash Monet posted:

I wouldn't be mad kicking the tires on Romo.

I think it is a great idea! However, I also think Cousins is a great QB and you should stop dicking around and sign him.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

TheChirurgeon posted:

True, but people sometimes overlook that NFL owners are still people and don't always like to just throw away 16 million dollars on a guy who isn't even playing while also paying another 18 million dollars to a new guy

Like sure, Osweiler is awful and 16 million isn't a ton to a franchise that's worth three quarters of a billion dollars. But on the other hand, the Texans just made the playoffs, won a game, and they'll make money next year regardless of whether they have Osweiler or Romo

just gently caress'n laugh at the joke Chir

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

I think it is a great idea! However, I also think Cousins is a great QB and you should stop dicking around and sign him.

Yeah. Romo is a great option for a team like the Broncos or (if they could make it work) the Texans, a solid team where good QB play could immediately elevate them to a Super Bowl contender. He's only got a year or two of good play left, in part because of injuries but also because he's 37 years old, but he buys you the potential for an immediate run. One of the reasons he makes so much sense for these teams though is because their quarterbacking is bad. Really, really bad in Houston's case.

On the other hand, Kirk Cousins is both young (28) and pretty good--he's not Romo good stats-wise, but the improvement from Cousins to Romo isn't that big. Cousins had a very good statline this year--67% Cmp/4,910 Yds/25 TDs/12 INTs/97.2 RAT. Signing Romo would mean that Washington was trading long-term solid QB play for a high-risk, small short-term boost. In other words, it'd be a pretty dumb move for Washington to move on from Cousins to begin with, but even worse if they do it *because* they want to sign Romo.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Febreeze posted:

just gently caress'n laugh at the joke Chir

*hikes glasses* no

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Romo with the Texans would be a win-win for me, since I'd be able to turn around and unleash the hellfire of Romo memes right back at Texans fans back home.

I don't hate the Texans, to an extent I feel for their fanbase suffering under a front office that inept, but holy poo poo the mud slinging after the Cowboys lost on Sunday was ridiculous. I'll take it from drat near every team in the NFL BUT the Texans, after the way Brock played.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shinjobi posted:

Romo with the Texans would be a win-win for me, since I'd be able to turn around and unleash the hellfire of Romo memes right back at Texans fans back home.

I don't hate the Texans, to an extent I feel for their fanbase suffering under a front office that inept, but holy poo poo the mud slinging after the Cowboys lost on Sunday was ridiculous. I'll take it from drat near every team in the NFL BUT the Texans, after the way Brock played.

yeah this is kind of how I feel. Being from Houston, I kind of like the Texans and want them to do well, but this weird rivalry thing they have with the Cowboys never made much sense to me. Hell, I'm an Astros fan and I only *really* started hating the Rangers when we were moved to the goddamn AL West

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Romo going to the Texans would bring back Nuk from the dead, so I'm okay with that.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/822937066283614209

His name kinda sounds like something you mutter to yourself when Agholor drops the ball.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Good hire. I know when I think "great wide receivers," I think "The Rams"

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Well, "anybody but the eagles" might be a valid sentiment there. I still maintain Glew is a scapegoat for bad front office moves though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I mean how much worse could it get. Let's find out

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Our running backs were not setting the world on fire at all this year, fire Duce? No no no. He is the OC heir apparent. Pay no attention to how we just let the best running back in the league come here, fail, and then be one of the best running backs in the league again after he left.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 22, 2017

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

TheChirurgeon posted:

Good hire. I know when I think "great wide receivers," I think "The Rams"

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Well, "anybody but the eagles" might be a valid sentiment there. I still maintain Glew is a scapegoat for bad front office moves though.

Yeah we should have kept the rookie coach with like 3 years of total coaching experience and tried to build the WR corps around him. How can we know if he's a good coach or not if he doesn't have the players? And that's really what it's all about : finding out if Greg Lewis can be a decent position coach in the NFL.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

I might have gone with "impending free agent Alshon Jeffery's WR coach for three years in Chicago"

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
As cool as it would be, I'm just not seeing Alshon coming to the Eagles. Is Chicago really gonna let him walk?

....cause if so, grab Marshall as well 😜 THAT'LL do something to the Eagles WRs

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jason Kelce is now in the Pro Bowl :laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Lineman Pro Bowl players are always jokes. Didn't Jeff Saturday make it in the year he was a Packer even though he only played 3-4 games that season?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

shyduck posted:

Jason Kelce is now in the Pro Bowl :laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

That certainly couldn't hurt the Eagles' ability to move him and get something in return. I've been thinking they might just cut him, even though the cap hit of 2.5 million, while not a killer, is significant. But maybe "Pro Bowl Center Jason Kelce" could net them a mid to late round pick and erase the cap hit.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

89 posted:

Lineman Pro Bowl players are always jokes. Didn't Jeff Saturday make it in the year he was a Packer even though he only played 3-4 games that season?

He actually started 14 games but was really crappy and got benched at the end of the season and for the playoffs.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I want Romo to go to the best possible place for him to succeed and win a ring and that screams Denver to me not Houston, and as much as I hate Denver I am willing to allow them to win for him to get what he should have

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Nodoze posted:

I want Romo to go to the best possible place for him to succeed and win a ring and that screams Denver to me not Houston, and as much as I hate Denver I am willing to allow them to win for him to get what he should have

Denver has no o line, I'm not sure about Houston. Houston also has Lamar and Nuk.

Edit

And Houston has the weakest division. In Denver, with a rookie head coach, Romo is competing with the Chiefs and Raiders. If he goes to Houston he coasts his way to a division title. The more I think about it the better it sounds. The big problem is that Osweiler contract and their retard of a GM.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 24, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

Denver is a toxic locker room poo poo-hole with a brand new coaching staff.

The Texans are a competent QB away from actually threatening in the post season. Hell, they're already getting to the post season with no QB. Meanwhile, putting up decent numbers and doing well in Denver only assures you a chance to compete with the Chiefs, and maybe miss the post-season altogether.

^^^^and I forgot the fuckin' raiders too. Jesus, Denver is NOT where Romo should go.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 24, 2017

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Denvers offense has 2 really good WRs right now and not much else

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I am really ready for free agency to get here so I can get an idea of what the Eagles are gonna do going into the draft and consider how much I should jump on the Corey Davis hype train. Word is, acquiring WRs & building the offense around Wentz is the #1 priority this offseason.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

Denver has no o line, I'm not sure about Houston. Houston also has Lamar and Nuk.

Edit

And Houston has the weakest division. In Denver, with a rookie head coach, Romo is competing with the Chiefs and Raiders. If he goes to Houston he coasts his way to a division title. The more I think about it the better it sounds. The big problem is that Osweiler contract and their retard of a GM.

Typically the QB makes the Oline and not the other way around. That line wasn't great when Peyton showed up, but whatever team he was on always magically had the league's lowest sack rate. The bigger problem with Romo going to Denver is that they have no run game whatsoever and haven't for a while.

Also this:

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Denvers offense has 2 really good WRs right now and not much else
is true for now but both of those really good WRs are going to be 30 next year.

I agree though that Houston is probably a better place form a "total team talent" and "division strength" perspective. The Titans appear to be skirting the edge of respectability, the Colts are a ridiculously under-talented dumpster fire, and the Jags are a few years away. Comparatively, every team the AFC West is at least worth taking seriously. The problem of course, is the amount of money the Texans would have to commit to QB pay for a season, and keeping Osweiler as the backup to Romo. There is an article* floating around that proposes the idea of a Watt-for-Romo trade straight-up, which could offer cap relief to Houston and be something they might** consider if they felt Clowney was becoming a star and Watt's best years were already on the books***, but I don't see that as ever happening.

Denver is definitely the best option outside of Houston, though.

*an insane fever dream piece written as more of a "thought experiment"
**they would never consider this
***they are, but he's still 27 and likely to put up 1-2 more straight "HOF good" seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

TheChirurgeon posted:

is true for now but both of those really good WRs are going to be 30 next year.

Man at first I was like "that can't be true. Demaryius and I went to college at the same time. Then I realized that I'm just like 16 months away from 30 :smith:

• Locked thread