Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hey Dad chatters, I'm looking for suggestions for simple and healthy lunch options for the work week.

I used to just make an extra half portion or so of dinner and bring the leftovers in for lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

chicken and rice is my go-to.

you can find low calorie type toppings/sauces to mix things up, or go traditional soy sauce and other low calorie sauces.

If you're watching your BP then just monitor your sodium intake with whatever you put on it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Chicken and brown rice, salads, fruit and nuts for snacks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MurderBot posted:

you can find low calorie type toppings/sauces to mix things up, or go traditional soy sauce and other low calorie sauces.

If you're watching your BP then just monitor your sodium intake with whatever you put on it.

yeah i had to start cutting out the franks hot sauce i used to put on it

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I cook a couple pounds of chicken, after cooking them I put a pound of chicken in the freezer inside a ziplock bag. I keep a pound in the fridge and thaw out another pound whenever it runs out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Did I miss it or has no one said Crock-Pot yet

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A slow cooker is one of the greatest things in the world.

There's a recipe thread, too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Did I miss it or has no one said Cock-Pot yet

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The slower the cook, the better the taste....

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm a big fan of making a pot of soup and taking that for lunch. Or go crazy and make a couple different types, and freeze individual portions, and thaw as needed. I'm partial to split pea and tomato bisque.

If you hate your coworkers bring sardine and onion sandwiches and "forget" them in the fridge for weeks at a time.

I don't have regular access to a microwave, so I bring lots of sandwiches and stuff that goes well in a thermos, like pasta and teriyaki chicken.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

chicken and rice is my go-to.

Brown the chicken, toss in a Dutch oven. Toast the rice a bit in the pan with the drippings and/or a little more oil if necessary, also toss in the oven. Add 2 cups of sodium-free stock for every 1 cup of rice and 8-12oz of your favorite salsa, stir everything together and bring to a bare bubble then cover for ~20mins. Much, much more palatable than normal chicken and rice.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

man i forgot how goddamned amazing the fog of war is

dude knows he's damned but goddamn he has some things to say

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hey Dad chatters, I'm looking for suggestions for simple and healthy lunch options for the work week.

Have your SO get a job where they don't go in until noon thirty.

Then have them love you enough to drop off a sandwich, leftovers or a salad on their way to work every day

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have soup every day for lunch now, at least until the cafe near work stops doing that when winter ends. It's pretty good because it's some artsy fartsy place and I get the low sodium options most of the time. I also switched to drinking Yerba mate tea instead of an early morning coffee.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm getting on the tea instead of coffee train because of flavor options. I found this Tazo wild orange spice stuff that is quite good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
My wife usually makes a big pot of soup on Sundays that carries us through most of the week.

I need to stop doing that because I'm having trouble maintaining weight.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Two Finger posted:

man i forgot how goddamned amazing the fog of war is

dude knows he's damned but goddamn he has some things to say

Watch Hearts and Minds next

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I'm having a dad Saturday, got my hair cut, now I'm doing an oil change on a car ive owned for 6 years for the first time. Some jackass mechanics that did one of the prior changes lost half the bolts to my skid plate.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

ElMaligno posted:

I cook a couple pounds of chicken, after cooking them I put a pound of chicken in the freezer inside a ziplock bag. I keep a pound in the fridge and thaw out another pound whenever it runs out.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A POUND OF CHICKEN INTO etc

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Zeris posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A POUND OF CHICKEN INTO etc

Good way to destroy a VCR IMO

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Flikken posted:

I'm having a dad Saturday, got my hair cut, now I'm doing an oil change on a car ive owned for 6 years for the first time. Some jackass mechanics that did one of the prior changes lost half the bolts to my skid plate.

Rotate the tires as well as this doubles their effective life.

Last time I had a PepBoys change the oil on my wife's car, they didn't torque the oil pan plug. It fell out somewhere along I-10 and my wife's car overheated.

I had a bit of a dad day too. Woke up at 530, had some toast, jogged to the gym for some abs work out, jogged back. By 7 the kiddo was up so I made some cereal, put on some coffee, and started sharpening pocket knives. I was super excited to have found an old as heck Case sodbuster with yellow scales. I *think* my dad had given this to me when I was probably 13 or 14, but maybe that one had black scales. Anyway, sharpening knives :feelsgood:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 28, 2017

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Rotate the tires as well as this doubles their effective life.

Last time I had a PepBoys change the oil on my wife's car, they didn't torque the oil pan plug. It fell out somewhere along I-10 and my wife's car overheated.

Oh and as an aside, Volkswagen what the gently caress is up with the design of the oil filter Canister. gently caress you Volkswagen, just gently caress you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Mambold posted:

Watch Hearts and Minds next

yes sir

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Flikken posted:

Oh and as an aside, Volkswagen what the gently caress is up with the design of the ANY MAINTENANCE ITEM. gently caress you Volkswagen, just gently caress you.

I like working on cars as a hobby, ergo I will never own a VW or BMW.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

Everything else on this car has been simple and straight forward. The canister lid for the oil filter was just....weird. I didn't have a strap wrench so I was using this craftsman oil filter claw wrench to open it, that was....not easy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Actually the next film you need to watch is The Unknown Known. They go together perfectly.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 28, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I kinda knew Randy Floyd, the bomber pilot who has an epiphany during the film. He came back to go to school pissed off, and was the VVAW head honcho.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

I was super excited to have found an old as heck Case sodbuster with yellow scales. I *think* my dad had given this to me when I was probably 13 or 14, but maybe that one had black scales. Anyway, sharpening knives :feelsgood:

post that poo poo

today i woke up early to let my wife sleep in, 2nd trimester and doing good. We're 99% decided on names

btw if its a dude the middle name is yossarian

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

At the Seattle boat show!

Should have left my card at home.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress you now I have the stupid song for it they play on the radio in my head. Haven't been to the boat show since I was a teenager. Boats are cool in spite of that song.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Flikken posted:

Oh and as an aside, Volkswagen what the gently caress is up with the design of the oil filter Canister. gently caress you Volkswagen, just gently caress you.

Godholio posted:

It's German. They're over-engineered to gently caress with you and force you to take it in.

LingcodKilla posted:

At the Seattle boat show!

Should have left my card at home.

And this show looks like fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4orEDXeMsFE&t=29s

A posting hat trick.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 28, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mike-o posted:

gently caress you now I have the stupid song for it they play on the radio in my head. Haven't been to the boat show since I was a teenager. Boats are cool in spite of that song.

I'm thinking a ranger tug is a better investment than a camper trailer.

Time to scratch up a good deposit on a 60k dream.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My general thinking on boats has always been the traditional approach of "hole in the water you throw money into" with the size of the hole exponentially increasing with length. I might one day have a cheap rear end pond boat, but nothing more.

I can't justify a camping trailer but loving lol at essentially taking out a mortgage on something that'll sit in a storage lot most of the year.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
With the advent of a new meme, the FedEx guy, it got me to realize something: I don't think I'd really care of I saw idiots burning or stomping on a US flag. It would make me think less of them, but I wouldn't charge in there and tackle them or deploy a fire extinguisher. What about you other dads?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It's an idiot thing to do, but it's still just a symbol. If you are so caught up with the symbol itself and not what it represents then really you're going crazy over a piece of cloth and should enlist open contract.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So I got a PS4 pro on Friday and am selling my old PS4. I'm selling it on letgo with like 3 games I never play any more for $200. I think it's a fair deal and I, poo poo you not, have had 3 different people offer me $20 and a Galaxy S5 like what the frick am I going to do with a (probably stolen) cell phone from 3 years ago :psyduck:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

not caring here posted:

It's an idiot thing to do, but it's still just a symbol. If you are so caught up with the symbol itself and not what it represents then really you're going crazy over a piece of cloth and should enlist open contract.

I was wondering how to word it, and that's pretty good.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

So I got a PS4 pro on Friday and am selling my old PS4. I'm selling it on letgo with like 3 games I never play any more for $200. I think it's a fair deal and I, poo poo you not, have had 3 different people offer me $20 and a Galaxy S5 like what the frick am I going to do with a (probably stolen) cell phone from 3 years ago :psyduck:

Ok, how about "$30 dollars, a Galaxy S4, and the complete Tom of Finland postage stamp series?"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

like he doesn't have that already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Too bad that you can only lick a stamp once. :(

• Locked thread