Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Relationships are like sharks, they hafta keep moving forwards or they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

This is true

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

ArbitraryC posted:

And occasionally you mistake a surf boarder for a seal and rip off one of their limbs.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Command Ant posted:

And occasionally you mistake a surf boarder for a seal and rip off one of their limbs.

There is no you in the relationship shark, only us.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

No he says that one of the reasons he married her is he thought she'd make a great mom but now among other p standard "drifting apart" stuff the idea that he might not even want kids is making it hard for him to see a future together.

There is a reason why the term "starter marriage" exists. They were immature when they got married and now that they've grown and changed it turns out they aren't necessarily headed down the same path anymore. It happens, especially when people marry fairly young. Just have to :sever: and move on or things are only going to get worse.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Tolkien minority posted:

further proof that cat people suck

boxer dogs are loving ugly

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Whorelord posted:

boxer dogs are loving ugly

There's no such thing as an ugly doggy.

Or an ugly kitty cat.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
What came to mind with metamour is a play on paramour using the logic of 6 carbon ring nomenclature -

because the 'meta' position is two position removed from the original functional group (R). A 'para'mour is kept as far as possible from the original functional group (hidden lover). A orthomour is a regular spouse?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
i don't like dogs

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
you bitch motherfucker

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I (22M) Broke up with GF (22F), kicked her out of my house at night and she ended up getting assaulted.

Met this girl at university a year and a half ago and we've been dating ever since.

I come from a well off family so I've been able to support myself and her for about the year we've been living together, bought her a car, paid for 2 trips and just general living expenses while she studied and finished her last year of university.

Turns out the last 2 times she said she was 'going to study' she was actually cheating on me. So as you can expect, when I found out. I absolutely lost it.

Long story short, after yelling at her for a few hours, i kicked her out of my house, but first I took her car keys and wallet (I loving paid for them) I gave her, her university ID and drivers license and told her to get the gently caress out.

The next part comes from her FB post, but she tried to walk to the train station which is about a 20 minute drive away at 1am, ended up getting mugged, or at least an attempted mugging, when the guy found out she didn't have anything, he punched her in the face, she posted a picture of the black eye online.

And now I feel really bad. I didn't want that to happen. Should I leave her alone? Apologize?

TLDR Kicked exgf out of my house late at night, she ended up getting robbed.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I (22M) Broke up with GF (22F), kicked her out of my house at night and she ended up getting assaulted.

Should I leave her alone? Apologize? Die?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

id rather get a black eye then get cheated on multiple times by my girlfriend of over a year. i think thats just karmic balancing in action

idk the gloating might tip the scales slightly against him and something minorly bad will happen, like a waiter will spit in his hamburger or something. best to play it safe
vvv

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 29, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Tolkien minority posted:

id rather get a black eye then get cheated on multiple times by my girlfriend of over a year. i think thats just karmic balancing in action

Maybe he should just comment "karma, bitch" on the photo, I think it would go well

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Her cheating is dumb but I don't see how him taking her keys, wallet, university ID and license was at all warranted or okay. Like what the gently caress?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Clocks posted:

Her cheating is dumb but I don't see how him taking her keys, wallet, university ID and license was at all warranted or okay. Like what the gently caress?

he didnt take her id or license hes just really bad at the english language.

edit

Therapist or TheRapist??

I'm (28F) not sure if what mt therapist (30sM) said to me is creepy and inappropriate

quote:

So I started seeing my therapist a few months ago and after the first session I decided I liked him and felt like I could trust him. We've recently been doing some work on my lack of assertiveness/ inability to call people out if they upset me because I'm scared of hurting their feelings.
I can't exactly remember how the conversation went but he suddenly said "can I be honest with you? And I hope you trust me enough to listen and not take this personally but from the moment I met you I could tell you were very vulnerable. I knew that if I wanted something more from you than a working relationship, I could have had it. You're in a vulnerable position here, I'm a man who's stronger than you and I could see your vulnerability, I knew you wouldn't say no"

First of all this pissed me off because obviously I would say no, I'm engaged and also am not about to gently caress my therapist regardless of my situation. Second of all I found it really creepy and unprofessional. I get the point he was trying to make, I just don't understand why he had to use that theoretical situation. Third of all, why the hell was he wondering whether he thinks he could take advantage of me or not in our first session?
Another important point is that I was raped in the past and he is fully aware of this. He brought it up and said "I can see how it happened, you didn't give him the right signals that you didn't want to have sex with him. By the way I'm in no way suggesting that it was your fault" I couldn't help but think that he totally was suggesting that and it really upset me. Also, that's not even true- my rapist was fully aware I did not want to sleep with him. I can't stop thinking about it but I'm not sure if I'm overreacting or not. Maybe I just didn't want to hear what he said so I'm thinking he's wrong to say those things when in actual fact he's just doing his job?
He's said other slightly weird things in the past that I've let go and assumed I was being oversensitive but I can't stop thinking about this.

TL:DR Therapist basically said he felt like he could gently caress me if he wanted and I probably wouldn't say no. Went on to hint that my rape was my fault. Do I sack him off?

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 29, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tolkien minority posted:

he didnt take her id or license hes just really bad at the english language.

edit

Therapist or TheRapist??

I'm (28F) not sure if what mt therapist (30sM) said to me is creepy and inappropriate

What. The. gently caress.

:psypop:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

To the licensure board, away!

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Tolkien minority posted:

I go to therapy, and this makes me not want a male therapist even more. Sent shivers down my spine. He is extremely creepy and unprofessional, she should call his supervisor if he has one.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

To the licensure board, away!

That poo poo needs to be reported yesterday. If he's done it to her, he's done it to his other female patients.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I cannot but agree.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dienes posted:

That poo poo needs to be reported yesterday. If he's done it to her, he's done it to his other female patients.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

quote:

Went on to hint that my rape was my fault. Do I sack him off?

I've never heard this phrase before and thought she was asking if she should blow him but had a typo

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
The girl in this story is going places

quote:

I [15M\ cheated on my girlfriend [15M] now she's dating with one of the football guys [15M]

I cheated on my girlfriend and now she's dating one of the football guys. She likes wrestling and she asked him to go with her to the royal rumble. I told her I was sorry but she told me to jump into the Gator farm. She tagged him in a photo at a restaurant "Luckiest girl in the world brunch with my boy <3" Everyone is telling them to have fun later on at the royal rumble.

I miss her, but she hates me. She's told me to gently caress off, dress myself in sausages and jump into a loin den.

tl;dr: I cheated on girlfriend and she's dating someone else.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A loin den with lots of sausage sounds pretty kinky

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

Hey buddy, what about that girl you cheated on her with? She must be way better since you did that.

Ah well youre 15 and hopefully this is an abject lesson for you and once everyone is done ripping on you in highschool forever you can be a better person.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

One of the Football Guys

Bitches and Whores, am i rite?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ocean Book posted:

What came to mind with metamour is a play on paramour using the logic of 6 carbon ring nomenclature -

because the 'meta' position is two position removed from the original functional group (R). A 'para'mour is kept as far as possible from the original functional group (hidden lover). A orthomour is a regular spouse?

Googling orthomour turned up one post with this exact question and one Tumblr where the poster only knew paramour and jokingly asks about metamours and orthomours.

So maybe?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

There is a reason why the term "starter marriage" exists. They were immature when they got married and now that they've grown and changed it turns out they aren't necessarily headed down the same path anymore. It happens, especially when people marry fairly young. Just have to :sever: and move on or things are only going to get worse.

Yeah I completely agree I just thought it was off the wall someone's response to that fairly mundane post was "he views her as nothing more than a vagina and is ruining her life". Marriages ending when the spark fades after a couple years is incredibly common, just be glad they don't have kids.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tiny Deer posted:

My (27/f) meta (29/f) is freaking out because I asked my husband (32/m) to stay with me rather than go on a date with her.

A choice comment:

To be fair to everyone else, most comments were variations of 'let them go gently caress each other in hell'.

Remember when I said poly poo poo never works forever cause some tragedy eventually pops up. This is exactly what happens.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

La Brea Carpet posted:

She should make a sign that says "Jeff (presumed name) you suck" and wave it around while watches the royal rumble alone, sobbing.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Remember when I said poly poo poo never works forever cause some tragedy eventually pops up. This is exactly what happens.

Death in the family is like one of my goto examples of "what if you need emotional support but your partner is off bangin someone else".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

Death in the family is like one of my goto examples of "what if you need emotional support but your partner is off bangin someone else".

Excuse me but I'm an emotional libertarian and cannot be assed if my wife's mother just died, I have a mistress' tits to jizz

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

Excuse me but I'm an emotional libertarian and cannot be assed if my wife's mother just died, I have a mistress' tits to jizz

Yeah, really, if she's sad because her mom died that's an aggressive act towards me and I really don't appreciate it. She should feel bad.

:barf:

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Poly couples and their emotional libertarian metamours should all

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
On the brightside maybe they'll talk it out how things played out when she really needed him and realize that poly relationships sacrifice some of the most vital parts of a relationship, they'll dump their sidepieces and live happily ever after.

Lol that aint gonna happen

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

The husband actually left too, not the day of but he did run to her side to comfort her over I guess the trauma of being such a raging self-absorbed motherfucker.

All this work and elaborate design, all these rules and regulations and terminology, and just to gently caress up a relationship in exactly the same way as you would with a regular mistress.

Now for a guy with a different problem:

Is it just me, or is there an inherent gender imbalance in this entire equation?

quote:

Wife and I opened our relationship about a month ago.

One thing I have noticed, and in retrospect it seems like an 8th grader could have seen this coming...

When a man tells a woman he just met that he's married but in an open relationship, her first instinct is generally to assume he's either A: A liar, B: A disgusting pervert, or C: a person who wants all of the benefits of dating her without any of the commitments and possessiveness that is normally in it for her.

Conversely, when a woman tells a man she just met that she's married but in an open relationship, the guy's first instinct is to figure ok perfect, I can have sex with her and take her to fun places, but she's not going to get all clingy and expect me to listen to her talk about her feelings or nag me about spending more time with her. Free lunch!

I've seen this pattern repeat itself a few times already.

The result is that after about a month of being "open", my wife has hooked up with a few guys and has a couple more in the works, while I have thus far accomplished zero.

Now, I realize it's not a race and that I shouldn't be keeping score. That said, it's kind of a bitter pill to swallow, knowing that this arrangement is inherently rigged in her favor. We can both hypothetically do whatever with other people, but that's always going to be an uphill struggle for me, while it will always be easy for her.

More experienced poly people, how do you guys deal with this? Am I missing something?

Also I should point out, whenever I go out to bars and places like that, I always go with her, I haven't gone out "hunting" alone yet. I am as of yesterday on Tinder and that seems like it could eventually produce something, but that's been the limit of my searching thus far. Tips? Advice? Worthless platitudes?

Of course the community immediately came to his rescue, with helpful comments like:

quote:

You started by making up things in your head, about what hypothetical people think. And then went from there to use those thoughts as data points to state that the agreement is in her favor.

That is a very classic, and common way to think about things wrong. People do it in everything from politics to religion.

Stay honest, stay open, and treat everyone as if they were good people.

quote:

This has never been an issue for me. We don't compete, and the guy I am dating doesn't have a problem finding other women.

How are you approaching these women?

And you have a seriously low opinion of men, it seems. You should probably give your own gender a little more credit.

quote:

Or, to look at it differently, talking about online poly dating for example...there are hundreds of comments in this forum about how bad the messages and profiles of the majority of men on OKC who message women are.

It's statistically possible but improbable that every guy here complaining about the imbalance is in the special 2-3% of people with really good profiles who knows how to send decent contact messages and is just having terrible luck, but I doubt it.

In my experience, guys who are successful don't immediately jump to sexist explanations that assume all other men are sex-seeking dogs and women make unfair assumptions about messages they receive.

Oh no nevermind it's all his fault.

The comments are usually the best part of these as dozens of people get together to tell the person posting that any emotional issues they have are ultimately their own fault and if they were a better person they wouldn't feel the way they do.

These people claim to be a supportive, inclusive community.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiny Deer posted:

a hallmark of toxic communities

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny Deer posted:

The husband actually left too, not the day of but he did run to her side to comfort her over I guess the trauma of being such a raging self-absorbed motherfucker.

All this work and elaborate design, all these rules and regulations and terminology, and just to gently caress up a relationship in exactly the same way as you would with a regular mistress.

Now for a guy with a different problem:

Is it just me, or is there an inherent gender imbalance in this entire equation?

Of course the community immediately came to his rescue, with helpful comments like:

Oh no nevermind it's all his fault.

The comments are usually the best part of these as dozens of people get together to tell the person posting that any emotional issues they have are ultimately their own fault and if they were a better person they wouldn't feel the way they do.

lmao im glad i can say retard in gbs cause drat whata bunch of retards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Lonely Virgil posted:

She should make a sign that says "Jeff (presumed name) you suck" and wave it around while watches the royal rumble alone, sobbing.

I take umbrage at this.