Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
The funny part about that one is that we explicitly had a guy post about copy pasting his profile and using one where it mentioned he was in an open relationship and one where it didn't and he got markedly different results. At this point the only reason to deny that it's a real thing that commonly comes up and causes issues is to try and make him feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tiny Deer posted:

The result is that after about a month of being "open", my wife has hooked up with a few guys and has a couple more in the works, while I have thus far accomplished zero. 

Gee, I wonder who first proposed opening their marriage...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

My [18F] coworker [21M] choked me while no one was around, don't know what to do or go about it.Personal issues
submitted an hour ago by ontheedgeofinsanity

I've been working at this store for about 8 months, him 6. He flirts with a lot of the females at the store, including me and I have no problem with that, but with me he tends to me more aggressive, grabbing me, and play fighting with me which is not something he does with other coworkers. I play fight back as well but sometimes he becomes too aggressive and that's when I tell him to stop or that he hurt me. Yesterday, he had been more annoying than usual, constantly making comments at what I was saying, being a bit more inappropriate than usual but I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it, until he choked me, and then apologized and tried to hug me afterwards. He was apologetic the whole night, trying to make it up to me but I don't know how to go about things. I told him I didn't like that he did that, and joked it off considering I still had many more hours left in my shift and didn't want that to ruin my mood, but still I don't feel right about it.

Tl;dr My coworker choked me during a night shift, no one was around, he was very apologetic the rest of the night but I still don't feel right.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

She should forgive him. He probably didn't mean to do it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

My [18F] coworker [21M] choked me while no one was around, don't know what to do or go about it.

:catstare:

:murder:

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Jesus Christ, he's going to kill you or someone else.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Nah, a little light choking during night shift is just some good-natured horseplay.

I'd recommend she run away, but dude might enjoy the chase.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I remember when a guy could flirt without liberals crying attempted murder

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

I know, right? Don Draper probably choked a lady at work, what's the world come to.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

Can you imagine the Klingon version?

"Joqq'hathar has been acting very inappropriately towards me during our shifts. We flirt a lot, you know, sparring, ambushes, the occasional knick with a knife, choking. I know I shouldn't have encouraged it, but I thought it was harmless. Well, last night, he...he...hugged me and told me I was pretty..."

*begins sobbing*

"Oh, you poor thing! We'll have him in the dilithium mines by next week! For now, maybe do some therapeutic death hound hunting to begin the healing process. Take all the time you need."

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

To the licensure board, away!

As a therapist, what Subjunctive said.

As a human, :murder:

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My Fiance of 2 Years Can't Stop Quoting Stand Ups.

So I have kind of a dumb problem. My fiancé hardly ever does any of those little nitpicky things that drive me crazy. We've been together 3 years, living together for 6 months of it, and we got engaged last month. He does do this one thing though: he'll stop in the middle of a conversation to quote stand up routines out of the blue. He won't quote one line. He'll say as much routine as he can remember.

He will do this with just me, or in a crowd of our friends. He always uses the exact intonation of the comic. He does it loudly in a look at me voice. When he does it, all conversation stops. It doesn't matter if the people in the group are fans of the comic, or even if they know what he's talking about. Our younger, sheltered friend always looks at him like he's going crazy. I don't even think he does it to be funny! He's a very funny person, he comes up with original jokes and makes me and our friends laugh all the time, so I'm not sure why he does this. Out of our friends group he is the most outgoing, funny, talkative one and it's not like he hurts for attention from me or from us as a group.

Three nights ago he and I had just finished having sex. I was laying snuggled up against his side, talking to him about his plans for a new Pathfinder campaign. He asked me a question and I started to answer it, when he rolled to face me and said in a West Indies accent "Somebody get this niglet away from me!" and launched into a long monologue about having never heard this slur before. It's a Donald Glover routine. (Just so you know, we're white, but he doesn't normally quote race routines or comedians who do race jokes. I think he'd just watched Glover on Netflix.) I wasn't interested and I kept trying to answer his question, but he kept talking. So I rolled over to sleep and he kept going. I'm not sure how long that routine is but he was still talking when I drifted off (it doesn't take long for me but it was probably at least 4 minutes).

I've talked to him about him doing this, especially in public when it stops a multi-person conversation in its tracks, but he keeps doing it. I don't know why. Can you guys help me understand? What can I say that he'll actually listen to? Last time I was like "Is there a reason you do that? No one understands the joke and it pulls focus away from conversation." and he got really hurt.

tl;dr: If I have to hear the What's New Pussycat routine after sex one more time I'm gonna loving kill someone

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Snatch Duster posted:

tl;dr: If I have to hear the What's New Pussycat routine after sex one more time I'm gonna loving kill someone

Eh, it's not unusual. :mmmhmm:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Snatch Duster posted:

Ugh. I've met a few people like that. It's fine if you're like "oh poo poo, that reminds me of this funny joke, here's the gist, you should go watch the bit on YouTube some time", but launching into one sided whole bits apropos of nothing merits being left on some deserted island/nuclear test site.

Also why would he continue to think that's funny after the tenth time no one in the room laughed?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
we are the knights who say "ni!"

NII NIII NIIIII NI NII

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

NII NIII NIIIII NI NII

:murder:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
childish vocalizations from the british you say??

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Snatch Duster posted:

So I have kind of a dumb problem. My fiancé hardly ever does any of those little nitpicky things that drive me crazy. We've been together 3 years, living together for 6 months of it, and we got engaged last month. He does do this one thing though: he'll stop in the middle of a conversation to quote stand up routines out of the blue. He won't quote one line. He'll say as much routine as he can remember.

He will do this with just me, or in a crowd of our friends. He always uses the exact intonation of the comic. He does it loudly in a look at me voice. When he does it, all conversation stops. It doesn't matter if the people in the group are fans of the comic, or even if they know what he's talking about. Our younger, sheltered friend always looks at him like he's going crazy. I don't even think he does it to be funny! He's a very funny person, he comes up with original jokes and makes me and our friends laugh all the time, so I'm not sure why he does this. Out of our friends group he is the most outgoing, funny, talkative one and it's not like he hurts for attention from me or from us as a group.

Three nights ago he and I had just finished having sex. I was laying snuggled up against his side, talking to him about his plans for a new Pathfinder campaign. He asked me a question and I started to answer it, when he rolled to face me and said in a West Indies accent "Somebody get this niglet away from me!" and launched into a long monologue about having never heard this slur before. It's a Donald Glover routine. (Just so you know, we're white, but he doesn't normally quote race routines or comedians who do race jokes. I think he'd just watched Glover on Netflix.) I wasn't interested and I kept trying to answer his question, but he kept talking. So I rolled over to sleep and he kept going. I'm not sure how long that routine is but he was still talking when I drifted off (it doesn't take long for me but it was probably at least 4 minutes).

I've talked to him about him doing this, especially in public when it stops a multi-person conversation in its tracks, but he keeps doing it. I don't know why. Can you guys help me understand? What can I say that he'll actually listen to? Last time I was like "Is there a reason you do that? No one understands the joke and it pulls focus away from conversation." and he got really hurt.

She should convince her boyfriend to get tested for autism.

I'm not attempting to funny, just reminds of that aspie husband who recited a Churchill speech when his wife demanded that he interact with her.

Lonely Virgil fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 30, 2017

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Snatch Duster posted:

Three nights ago he and I had just finished having sex. I was laying snuggled up against his side, talking to him about his plans for a new Pathfinder campaign.

I don't know why it's this line, in particular, that caused me to want to murder him

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lonely Virgil posted:

She should convince her boyfriend to get tested for autism.

I'm not attempting to funny, just reminds of that aspie husband who recited a Churchill speech when his wife demanded that he interact with her.

Thank God I wasn't the only person to think this. It seems like textbook scripting. I wonder if he does it in the shower or when he's similarly alone.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Pick posted:

NII NIII NIIIII NI NII

i knew a girl in high school who did this all the loving time, and she also had a binder full of catgirl anime drawings and sam/frodo non-sexual fanfiction

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

Me [24F] with my old best friend [23F], she thinks she's in an epic romance but it's obviously a very toxic situation. How can I help her realize this?[new]
submitted 4 hours ago by stephcrash

I really need some advice on this.
From the beginning: My best friend May has a lifetime STD that was given to her by some jerk she was seeing when she was young. She was pretty devastated after contracting it and thought she would never find anyone that would love her because of it. I told her all the time that it wasn't a big deal but she wouldn't believe me and decided to join a dating site for other people like her. Anyways, she ended up meeting some questionable ones but finally connected with what seemed like a really great guy. They started meeting and eventually started dating. Around the second date or so, he told her that he has some charges against him and that he's an illegal immigrant brought to our country and ditched by his parents. He met a girl and she became his surety, keeping him in line and with a roof over his head. He said they used to date but things had ended between them. Despite it, she stuck around and began falling more for him. Fast forward a few months later, Christmas. The other girl, let's call her "Carrie" contacted May and told her that they were in fact still dating, and sleeping together and he actually didn't even have the same problems as May. She was devastated but decided to move on.

About a week later, she receives a call from him in jail, apparently, Carrie was pissed that he was cheating and decided to pull bail which put him back behind bars. May told him she wasn't going to help and told him to leave her alone. Carrie finally gave him and got him out and he ran back to May after a while because his relationship with Carrie was so bad. He said he was leaving her but had to keep her happy while she was his surety or else he'd end up back in jail.

One night, he and May decide to go over drinking with his neighbours in a bad part of town and they get into an altercation and the neighbour ends up stabbing Mays "boyfriend".

May was scared for him after that, and despite everyone telling her it was a bad idea, she decided to get an apartment with him. Here is where I come in. I helped her move her things out of her parents house and she then asked me to help move his things. We pull up to his old house and he gets out of the car and starts screaming towards the neighbours house, calling him a coward, etc. I got really scared at this point because the neighbour was already capable of stabbing him, I didn't want to think of what else he would do to me and May!

I decided to take a step out of her life after that day which I know was lovely but she honestly didn't see the harm in what he was doing and I eventually want a family and I NEVER want him around them. Eight months later, I heard some things through the grape vine and I reach out to her to see how she was doing. We decide to meet.

In the last eight months, poo poo has gone down. She started by telling me that he joined Tindr about a month after they moved into their apartment and began disappearing for "weeks at a time." His excuse was that his surety needed him. In the meantime he was seeing another woman who had a couple children. "Living a double life," as she put it. She found out, ended it and went back home with her parents. She began dating a really nice guy from her past who wanted to begin a life with her. In the meantime, the other guy was sent back to jail and who else does he call but May? She "couldn't get the [dangerous guy] out of her head." She broke the nice guys heart and bailed dangerous guy out. She took over as his surety (putting her car on the line) and then found another place for them to move into.

She told me that she bailed him out so that she could make his life a living hell. She then told me that they're probably looking at buying a house and getting married at the end of the year.

The kicker? The other woman is pregnant and doesn't want to abort the baby. Oh and May also got pregnant but lost the child. Her words "I'm not trying to get pregnant, but if it happens I won't be upset." She apparently loves him so much and can't imagine a future without him. I honestly just sat and listened, stunned. What the heck? While we were sitting having coffee, he texted her calling her a loving liar because he didn't believe her when she told him where she was (which she did lie to him about). She also told me that things are really bad between them despite him saying he was going to try and make it right with her. Everything she said contradicted herself. She's with him in spite but she loves him.

tl;dr: My friend is in a very toxic relationship that she thinks is an epic romance and I'm honestly scared for her future. Is there anything I can do to help or is it too late for her?

woogh!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The most constructive thing I can say about that bundle of madness is I just learned what a surety is.

Edit: I assume the disease she has is siphylis because that is the only charitable explanation of the behavoir in question.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

I think it's herpes. Syphilis is curable.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, and aren't there specific dating sites for people with HSV 2? That'd make sense for how she met him, and also make sense as a place for this dude to cruise for women who have lowered standards and crushed self-esteem without actually having a major health issue.

Now I'm flashing back to that recent thread in E/N where a dude was "struggling with how to tell" an online friend that (he'd decided that) the fact that she had cold sores since childhood meant she had been molested and repressed the memory. That thread was a winner.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Now I'm flashing back to that recent thread in E/N where a dude was "struggling with how to tell" an online friend that (he'd decided that) the fact that she had cold sores since childhood meant she had been molested and repressed the memory. That thread was a winner.

dude c'mon you know you can't just say this poo poo and not post a link

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

a link was posted, and it gave you herpes. im sorry you forgot... :(

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's been comedy purgmined for its sheer poetry:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798461

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

woogh!

These are the women who send love letters to serial killers.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Not sure if y'all will find this interesting but I do. I'm with her - they've got some real issues but this arrangement sounds exhausting.

My [26M] girlfriend [25F] wants to move, thinking it will solve all of the issues we're currently having.

bringing this from the past but nobody mentioned the issures she causes

quote:

She is incredibly moody, and doesn’t have reasonable reactions to situations. Example: A few weeks ago my mum was expecting my sister to come round. My girlfriend came home from work and mum went to see who it was. When my girlfriend walked in through the door mum said something like ‘oh, you’re not Tess!’. From that point on, my gf was miserable and sulky for a good hour, because she interpreted that as ‘i’m not Tess, so your mum wasn’t happy to see me’.

people are upset that she's being sulky for an hour after something that at least i consider to be pretty rude to do to someone

quote:

She’s not really a morning person, and a little while ago my mum said ‘good morning’ to her when she got up. My girlfriend didn’t respond, so mum asked why. She told my parents that ‘I’m not a morning person, so it would be better if you just didn’t talk to me in the morning.’.

by god you will be a morning person in this house missy!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
"Good morning"

"DONT TALK TO ME IN THE MORNING"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I would say
*looking for/expecting someone, stumble across person who is not that someone*
'Hey you're not <someone>'
is a very common and benign office joke that no one would take personal offense to.

I say that as someone who absolutely supported the idea she might feel uneasy and suffocated at their place. Each individual example from that one to her "not a morning person" routine are all completely unreasonable taken out of context. They make a bit more sense if you give her the benefit of the doubt with how stressful it can feel being a stranger in your primary residence but none of them are remotely acceptable on their own as individual instances. For example; it's basically beyond rude to not reply to someone who addresses you and "not being a morning person" is not a good excuse for it, but it is a bit more forgivable if you accept that she's so resentful of the situation she's constantly on edge when dealing with the in-laws.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It's the kind of behavior that, if she were there for a week or two, would be rude. Considering that this supposedly her home, asking her to constantly be a guest in someone's home is cruel. The boyfriend doesn't have this hard of a time because he grew up in this environment and he knows how to act.

If they are going to ask her to "pay rent" by constantly acting like she's a guest in their home and doesn't belong there, she should bug out now because that is massively unfair. I have no idea why she agreed to this arrangement in the first place, but it seems like a nightmare.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Eponine posted:

It's the kind of behavior that, if she were there for a week or two, would be rude. Considering that this supposedly her home, asking her to constantly be a guest in someone's home is cruel. The boyfriend doesn't have this hard of a time because he grew up in this environment and he knows how to act.

If they are going to ask her to "pay rent" by constantly acting like she's a guest in their home and doesn't belong there, she should bug out now because that is massively unfair. I have no idea why she agreed to this arrangement in the first place, but it seems like a nightmare.

"we won't have to pay any bills and can save for a place of our own" is a really appealing motivator until you realize that living with your partner's parents is turbo hell

it can be deceptively appealing if your partner's parents seem nice and friendly going into it

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 30, 2017

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Elfgames posted:

bringing this from the past but nobody mentioned the issures she causes

people are upset that she's being sulky for an hour after something that at least i consider to be pretty rude to do to someone

lol

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Also, the people criticizing him over the Japan ski trip are glossing over the fact she went to Fiji.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Behold, the dumbest argument ever:

I [41F] had a somewhat troubling conversation with my husband [42M] about dating after the death of a partner, married 14 years.

quote:

I don't really know if this is a problem or not but I felt it was worth sharing since it may or may not be a symptom of a larger problem.

Yesterday my husband and I got to talking about dating after a partner's death and I jokingly suggested I would immediately marry his cousin, who is quite handsome. My husband laughed, so I assumed he knew I was joking, but then as our laughter died down we got to talking about it seriously.

My husband, as it turns out, does not intend to date again if I die first and doesn't want me to date again either. He believes a relationship doesn't end with death and that people who truly love each other will stay loyal to one another forever. I told him that if I died first, I wouldn't want him to be sad and lonely and mourn me for the rest of his life, I would want him to move on, be happy again, and share the rest of his life with another person whom he could love and cherish, and that I expected him to want the same of me if he were to die first. He asked me if I intended to date again after his death and I answered him honestly- even though I hope we can grow old and die together, yes, if he died early, after some time I would date again and try to love again instead of wearing black and stewing on his death forever. I also mentioned that our 3 children would need a father figure and a provider. His response to this is what's particularly troubling to me, and this is it, almost verbatim:

"Look, you can date again if you want after my death. Do whatever you want. You can replace me with some other guy and have my kids call another man their dad, whatever. If that's what you want, do it. But if there's an afterlife and when you die you try to reunite with me there? Get the gently caress out. I would want absolutely nothing to do with you. Nothing at all."

I was baffled and in disbelief at what he said, but then he told me to not to worry about it and focus on the present and he wouldn't entertain any further discussion of it.

Here I am today, still wondering why my husband has these beliefs and if they mean anything about his insecurity. I love my husband deeply and if there is an afterlife, I would imagine our reunion there to be very sweet and beautiful, not him telling me to gtfo. I feel I should confront him about this but he doesn't want to discuss it any further. Do I just forget this and keep living life or probe further?

tl;dr: Husband said if I remarried after his death and we both met up in the afterlife, he would tell me to gtfo.

Lady, just lie and say you'll never remarry. This is one of those white lies we all tell, like "You're the best sex partner I've ever had." Then you can do whatever if he dies, because guess what, he'll be dead.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

WampaLord posted:

Behold, the dumbest argument ever:

I [41F] had a somewhat troubling conversation with my husband [42M] about dating after the death of a partner, married 14 years.

Lady, just lie and say you'll never remarry. This is one of those white lies we all tell, like "You're the best sex partner I've ever had." Then you can do whatever if he dies, because guess what, he'll be dead.

But he'll know when they meet in the afterlife, you see.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

tactlessbastard posted:

Also, the people criticizing him over the Japan ski trip are glossing over the fact she went to Fiji.

Keep defending the 26 year old man who literally refuses to move out of his parents house and begrudges his girlfriend one hour of netflix a night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Mirthless posted:

Keep defending the 26 year old man who literally refuses to move out of his parents house and begrudges his girlfriend one hour of netflix a night

I'm not defending him. He's a jackass, just like his moody girlfriend.