Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

7.1.2 is now available to the beta program.

Google also confirmed that the N6 and N9 will EOL on 7.1.1. They will get security updates, buy no more version upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Anything new in 7.1.2?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Anything new in 7.1.2?

Not a lot. Maybe the Bluetooth fixes promised earlier?

Ron Amadeo posted:

So what's new? Google promises "a number of bugfixes and optimizations, along with a small number of enhancements for carriers and users." A quick glance does not reveal a huge amount of changes. The dialer has references to a "multimedia call," Bluetooth was touched (bug fixes, I'm sure), there are a few Verizon-specific things like a demo mode (on the Pixels, at least), and a new "high temperature" warning probably has something to do with Daydream VR mode overheating the phone. If something amazing pops up once we get it flashed, we'll let you know.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is micro USB to HDMI really as finicky as every review for every adapter and cord I can find seems to indicate? Or is everyone stupid? Seems like the easiest way to fix my problem from the last page but it seems very hit or miss.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

codo27 posted:

Is micro USB to HDMI really as finicky as every review for every adapter and cord I can find seems to indicate? Or is everyone stupid? Seems like the easiest way to fix my problem from the last page but it seems very hit or miss.

Depends on the phone.

I managed to get an old Droid Razr to output video, and used a keyboard and mouse to navigate. But Android's pretty different these days, and the Razr had an actual HDMI out. MHL worked decently on my Note 3, though, with no issues other than a unique pin-out because :samsung:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

codo27 posted:

The S6 does not output HDMI, your best bet is blindly figuring out how to cast the screen to a TV.

Grumpwagon posted:

Not a lot. Maybe the Bluetooth fixes promised earlier?

Multimedia calling must be like the native video calling available on Galaxy devices, not that I've ever tried using it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Multimedia calling must be like the native video calling available on Galaxy devices, not that I've ever tried using it.

Do you have details on this? I'm shocked there's anything close to a "standard" video calling format and this is literally the first I've heard of it. It says a lot about the regulatory regime in America that I can't even imagine the idea of a standardized video communications protocol existing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EdEddnEddy posted:

When my old one was doing this (before I RMA'ed it to Google for a Refurb) I was able to sort of fix this through Flashing the Original first Image for the 6P, then flashing the latest full image (latest 7.1.1) from their Nexus Factory Image site.

Just running the FlashAll script (usually using Minimal ADB Portable) and letting it do it's thing. (You will want to back up everything in this case beforehand).

This is interesting.

Did you do anything between flashing 6.0 and the 7.1.1 image, or did you just flash over straight away?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Do you have details on this? I'm shocked there's anything close to a "standard" video calling format and this is literally the first I've heard of it. It says a lot about the regulatory regime in America that I can't even imagine the idea of a standardized video communications protocol existing.

Tested it out with a coworker earlier, Note 4 to Galaxy S5. Basically there's an icon in the phone and contacts app that allows you to either video call, or switch to a video call from a regular phone call. Video quality wasn't fantastic, I'd say about Hangouts when I last used it about a year and a half ago if that means anything, we were in a parking garage with terrible signal though.

Not really something I'd use often, it was added around the time they added iMessage-ish messaging (RCS? I forget the acronym, "next-Gen SMS" basically).

Did notice you get a very high pitched screech if you put the phones right next to each other during the call.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 31, 2017

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

My Nexus 5 is still running like a champ after all these years so I guess I'm going to wait for the Pixel 2 since Google refuses to sell the Pixel 1 in my country.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Tested it out with a coworker earlier, Note 4 to Galaxy S5. Basically there's an icon in the phone and contacts app that allows you to either video call, or switch to a video call from a regular phone call. Video quality wasn't fantastic, I'd say about Hangouts when I last used it about a year and a half ago if that means anything, we were in a parking garage with terrible signal though.

Not really something I'd use often, it was added around the time they added iMessage-ish messaging (RCS? I forget the acronym, "next-Gen SMS" basically).

Did notice you get a very high pitched screech if you put the phones right next to each other during the call.

I can find information about it existing on T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T Samsung handsets but can't find anything about the protocol. Who owns it? Is it unique to carriers (as in can an AT&T user call a T-Mobile user) or is it unique to Samsung (everything I can find shows only Samsung supporting it)?

It seems to be branded differently by each US carrier making it hard to search. Where's fishmech when you need him?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I can find information about it existing on T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T Samsung handsets but can't find anything about the protocol. Who owns it? Is it unique to carriers (as in can an AT&T user call a T-Mobile user) or is it unique to Samsung (everything I can find shows only Samsung supporting it)?

It seems to be branded differently by each US carrier making it hard to search. Where's fishmech when you need him?

Wish I had more details to give, but it showed up with the MM update about a year ago and I never even thought to try it out until now. For what it's worth my phone is on AT&T. Googling around gives a lot of conflicting information, some posts say it works across networks, and one comment said it worked between a Galaxy and an LG. I know there was a video call standard in Europe old WinMo HTC phones used but that was ages ago.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

I think the standard is defined by the 3GPP, and it was a thing in the years before the iPhone. I had a Nokia N80i that supported it,. Problem was, nobody used it because the video quality was crap due to low data rates on EDGE networks and few people bought the expensive feature phones that had both 3G support AND a front camera.

The reason I remember this is because when Apple released FaceTime I thought "so what, we've had that here in Europe for years, it even worked across providers and phone models, and nobody ever used it then"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JazzmasterCurious posted:

I think the standard is defined by the 3GPP, and it was a thing in the years before the iPhone. I had a Nokia N80i that supported it,. Problem was, nobody used it because the video quality was crap due to low data rates on EDGE networks and few people bought the expensive feature phones that had both 3G support AND a front camera.

The reason I remember this is because when Apple released FaceTime I thought "so what, we've had that here in Europe for years, it even worked across providers and phone models, and nobody ever used it then"

3G phones with front camera were pretty drat common here for a few years before smartphones and yeah, of course, nobody used videocalling even then. But yeah, I remember having a similar reaction to facetime.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Now that I'm home I did a little research and it turns out to be a component of Voice over LTE, marketed as HD Voice at least in the US. T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon all support HD Voice and therefore video calls. This is different from the one JazzmasterCurious mentioned in that it uses the h.264 codec and that one used a codec called 3G-324M. Apparently it is set into the GSM Association standard for LTE which surprises me. I wonder if it works globally (or why one would choose to use it at all given the free alternatives) but huh, you learn something new every day.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I think I read this thread too much. I had a dream that I bought a bunch of new electronics. Then, people I knew took turns destroying them and making fun of me because they were Samsung brand.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

azurite posted:

I think I read this thread too much. I had a dream that I bought a bunch of new electronics. Then, people I knew took turns destroying them and making fun of me because they were Samsung brand.

Not reading this thread enough. They should have been OnePlus brand. Try again tonight.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

cage-free egghead posted:

My Pixel will lower the volume of the speaker when I watch YouTube videos. Like every 10 seconds the volume drops to where I can barely hear and then comes back after 2 seconds.

This, as well as the other poster about volume issue is a fairly standard complaint of the Pixel on reddit and the interwebs. I've never personally had my Pixel do it, but I've seen it asked/posted about several times over in different places. Its probably software related.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Native dialer video called with my wife and 3 year old yesterday afternoon. PixelXL on WiFi (me) to Galaxy S6 on LTE (her). Seamless switch between voice and video, HD quality on both ends.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

Native dialer video called with my wife and 3 year old yesterday afternoon. PixelXL on WiFi (me) to Galaxy S6 on LTE (her). Seamless switch between voice and video, HD quality on both ends.

Yea my mom and sister are able to natively video call between each other on their Verizon Pixels as well. Pretty much the Android version of FaceTime and I am guessing, it may be coming to Nexus devices or something in the update?

Not sure if it is a Verizon only perk or something and maybe Nexus and other devices with 7.1.1 already have it.

dissss posted:

This is interesting.

Did you do anything between flashing 6.0 and the 7.1.1 image, or did you just flash over straight away?

Nope. The FlashAll.bat script handles flashing EVERYTHING from the radios, bootloader, vendor, everything so when you flash the 6.0 update. It flashes everything to make your phone look as it did the day it came from the factory (Also includes wiping all data on the device so again, backup beforehand) then flashing 7.1.1 does the same thing making it as if you got it with 7.1.1 from the factory. It is a good way to make sure you have the latest of everything on the phone before going to a custom rom based on the latest version (that usually includes a Vendor, but usually nothing else like radios) or maybe from the Beta builds or if you think an OTA did something weird.

Also before all this, make sure you have the OEM Unlock enabled under Developer Options just to be sure as well as give you the option to flash TWRP as a recovery later if you would like.

After doing the 7.1.1 to 6.0 to 7.1.1 flash on my OG 6P, I almost was willing to forgo the Refurb and keep it as the battery issue seemed "fixed" however the speakerphone still didn't work (no mic input at all) and the power button was significantly stiffer on the refurb making it a little better at not accidentally turning on/off/power off than mine. That and regardless if the battery issue was fixed or not, the battery still had a year of wear on it vs the refurb's new one.

I just hope I can hold out until the Pixel 2 and hopefully Google will give us a 6P successor of sorts. drat if I want to give up my speakers.

If only HTC would listen to nearly everyone in their internal group instead of trying to make it some sort of echo chamber. All they need to become uniquely relevant again is make a really nice looking phone, with good front facing speakers and a well built metal kickstand similar to the EVO4G/LTE/HD7 phones. Is it that hard to build a successor to your successful phones instead of copying everyone else's Pasta wall of Ideas?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Video calling on Verizon is part of advanced calling. It's part of the VoLTE spec.

VoLTE interoperability between carriers is something that's still being worked on.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
So now we know that's exactly what Google meant by "multimedia" calling and that it's cross-compatible with Samsung phones.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How do you even do it? Everything looks to be enabled on the Verizon account and the phone, but there isn't any option to start video on my HD voice calls.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I suppose there are certain phones that support it. I'm on a pixel, my mom is on a s3 (refuses to upgrade) and the icon isn't there. But with my mother in law, who is on an s7, there is a video icon next to her contact in the dialer app.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Nope. The FlashAll.bat script handles flashing EVERYTHING from the radios, bootloader, vendor, everything so when you flash the 6.0 update. It flashes everything to make your phone look as it did the day it came from the factory (Also includes wiping all data on the device so again, backup beforehand) then flashing 7.1.1 does the same thing making it as if you got it with 7.1.1 from the factory. It is a good way to make sure you have the latest of everything on the phone before going to a custom rom based on the latest version (that usually includes a Vendor, but usually nothing else like radios) or maybe from the Beta builds or if you think an OTA did something weird.

Also before all this, make sure you have the OEM Unlock enabled under Developer Options just to be sure as well as give you the option to flash TWRP as a recovery later if you would like.

After doing the 7.1.1 to 6.0 to 7.1.1 flash on my OG 6P, I almost was willing to forgo the Refurb and keep it as the battery issue seemed "fixed" however the speakerphone still didn't work (no mic input at all) and the power button was significantly stiffer on the refurb making it a little better at not accidentally turning on/off/power off than mine. That and regardless if the battery issue was fixed or not, the battery still had a year of wear on it vs the refurb's new one.

Cheers, this didn't take anywhere near as long as I expected - I like how easy it is to get the right driver installed these days because that was downright painful in the past.

Hopefully it fixes the battery thing because there really isn't another good option I can see that is available here, I doubt the retailer I bought the phone from has access to refurbs and I don't want a Samsung or skinned Huawei or whatever else they have in stock.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Bearing in mind I'm not expecting Big Expensive Camera results from my 6P, am I going to have the best chance of having nice-looking photos by leaving HDR+ and flash on auto?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spincube posted:

Bearing in mind I'm not expecting Big Expensive Camera results from my 6P, am I going to have the best chance of having nice-looking photos by leaving HDR+ and flash on auto?

yes

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

dissss posted:

Cheers, this didn't take anywhere near as long as I expected - I like how easy it is to get the right driver installed these days because that was downright painful in the past.

Shut off at 15% Guess I'll have to go do battle with the retailer (I also have a TV with a dead HDMI input from the same place to take back)

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
What do people think of the xperia xa ultra? I know there's a new one coming out soon but I'm curious about any experience with it

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

To further justify the thread title...

https://goo.gl/rhX0nr

"The OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T, and Meizu Pro 6 are rigged to cheat in benchmarks, a report from XDA-Developers revealed."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anakha posted:

"The OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T, and Meizu Pro 6 are rigged to cheat in benchmarks, a report from XDA-Developers revealed."

Yeah but did you see the specs????

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, they sure know their audience. I don't think I've ever looked a phone benchmarks... And I'm a pretty nerdy dude.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

anakha posted:

Wasn't that standard operating procedure for flagship phones for a while? I remember reading about Samsung doing the same thing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wasn't that standard operating procedure for flagship phones for a while? I remember reading about Samsung doing the same thing.
It's discussed in the article.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah but did you see the specs????

All that RAM.... Unghhhhhhh

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

anakha posted:

But my power button gives a firm satisfying click and is not loose.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Well sure it's laggy and I have to install a beta update to get my bluetooth working, but look at the specs! *pulls printed spec sheet from pocket*

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RZA Encryption posted:

Well sure it's laggy and I have to install a beta update to get my bluetooth working, but look at the specs! *pulls printed spec sheet from pocket*

Your spec sheet ain't poo poo if it's not laminated

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

nimper posted:

Your spec sheet ain't poo poo if it's not laminated

Gotta be able to wipe that cheeto dust off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao gently caress oneplus