Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Bruce Campbell as a star ship captain (I refuse to rank him any lower) would be the best star ship captain.

The perfect Zapp Brannigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MorgaineDax posted:

Besides everyone mentioning Space, CraveTV is supposed to have exclusive streaming rights up here in Canada.

Looking forward to not being able to watch the show because of this dumb poo poo.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

If this is pre TOS then why do all the warp nacelles look like highlighters or box cutters

This.

For me, I can't get past the fact that neither of these two ships is looking at all like something contemporary to the Constitution Class of TOS, which it's supposed to be.You want to make a crazy new, non Star Trek ship design? Fine--just don't set the show during the same time as TOS and wreck canon. Even the NX-01 and the Franklin bothered to have round nacelles with a colored dome on the top. But hey, let's do a new show and gently caress 50 years of established continuity because network suits don't give a poo poo or w/e.

Sorry to sound like a spergy nerd, but I think as a Star Trek fan I kinda have that right because it's what we do. I've invested 30 years of my life being a fan and looking at the history and worldbuilding of this universe, and to change poo poo up would be like saying "OK, we're going to set a historical show about the US Navy between WWI and WWII but we're going to make the uniforms and ships look like ones from the 90s because the real ones from the 1930s look kinda lame to modern viewers and it's a creative choice and nobody cares about accuracy especially if it gets in the way of the story we're trying to tell." :downs:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, keep in mind that this ship was built 10 years after the TOS Connie and 15 years before the Refit Connie. It does look kinda like it might fall out of tech developed between those two.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's the Ford Edsel of the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I still don't like the Galaxy-class very much. Talk about unbalanced. The saucer is like twice as big as it should be. Even if it were circular that would help a lot I think.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hot take, every Star Trek starship looks bad, or at least, not good. I'm not watching Star Trek for ship design, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Sovreign-class rules. From the back, anyway. From the front it just looks fat. I'd also say the original Enterprise is still solid, but I can't tell if that's because I actually like it or if it's just been imprinted on my brain by overwhelming cultural saturation.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Astroman posted:

This.

For me, I can't get past the fact that neither of these two ships is looking at all like something contemporary to the Constitution Class of TOS, which it's supposed to be.You want to make a crazy new, non Star Trek ship design? Fine--just don't set the show during the same time as TOS and wreck canon. Even the NX-01 and the Franklin bothered to have round nacelles with a colored dome on the top. But hey, let's do a new show and gently caress 50 years of established continuity because network suits don't give a poo poo or w/e.

Sorry to sound like a spergy nerd, but I think as a Star Trek fan I kinda have that right because it's what we do. I've invested 30 years of my life being a fan and looking at the history and worldbuilding of this universe, and to change poo poo up would be like saying "OK, we're going to set a historical show about the US Navy between WWI and WWII but we're going to make the uniforms and ships look like ones from the 90s because the real ones from the 1930s look kinda lame to modern viewers and it's a creative choice and nobody cares about accuracy especially if it gets in the way of the story we're trying to tell." :downs:

MikeJF posted:

Eh, keep in mind that this ship was built 10 years after the TOS Connie and 15 years before the Refit Connie. It does look kinda like it might fall out of tech developed between those two.

Well, as was said 8 months ago when that lovely teaser came out, it's probably not quite the final design anyway. Given that we now know that the show was, in fact, in pre-pre-production at the time, I strongly suspect that that whole teaser was just something they threw together based on existing concept work because "poo poo poo poo poo poo, it's the anniversary and those assholes in marketing won't stop asking for something to show at Comic-Con!" Hopefully they're not married to it. The textures, at least, will certainly change because they didn't look like more than a placeholder in that teaser (which is probably why everything in it was either sepia or shadow) and real textures with a proper lighting engine will go a long way toward fixing the fug right there.

As for the canonicity of nacelles and all that, first of all, shut up nerds and secondly, we don't know exactly when this show is set (~10 years prior to one of the two pilots isn't very clear) and secondly, we don't know how old the ship will be. It could be brand new or decades older than the Connie. Remember, the Excelsior, Oberth, and Miranda classes were still being used like a century later, so there's some precedent there.

Another interesting thing that I haven't seen anyone point out is that our "Number One" is a lieutenant commander. That would mean that there's either a weird gap in the chain of command, she's a Second Officer with a really weird nickname or -- most likely --the Discovery's CO is going to be a commander rather than a full captain. This would mean that the ship isn't a sleek flagship or anything like the "cruisers" we're used to seeing, but rather something smaller (and, perhaps, less prestigious/advanced).

As a reminder, the "curvy like a race car" starfleet aesthetic mostly comes from the movie era on (and JJ Trek). The handful of non-Connie Federation ships we actually saw in TOS were mostly lovely freighters shaped like boxes. Since we have basically no model of what an early 23rd Century small/mid sized ship looks like (even the Kelvin had a full captain in command), the design space is actually pretty wide open.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wow, Aatrek may have been a pedo but it looks like the real badfan purge has yet to begin. TOS/Connie haters :frogout:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sisko was a Lt. Commander when he was first officer of the Saratoga. Janeway's first first officer in the Voyager pilot was also a Lt. Commander.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Duckbag posted:

As a reminder, the "curvy like a race car" starfleet aesthetic mostly comes from the movie era on

ILM :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

In contrast this is somebody's work in progress fan design from sci-fimeshes.com:

Who are they hiring to design the janky rear end poo poo we've seen so far for the actual show because lol honestly

Smooth out the unnecessary greeblies on the nacelles, pylons, and engineering hull and I'm totally fine with this design. Almost like a TOS proto-Galaxy.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

McSpanky posted:

Wow, Aatrek may have been a pedo but it looks like the real badfan purge has yet to begin. TOS/Connie haters :frogout:

The original looks fine, but the TOS movies are where the ships have always looked the best. Connie refit is like the pinnacle of starship designs. It's not realistic or sensible in any way but give me a break if you think that doesn't look awesome.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

You'd think they would make all us nerds happy and build a physical model of it. Can you imagine the positive reactions? I know tv shows (or in this case webisodes) don't do that anymore but it would change the entire way people think of this show. I'm sure CGI is cheaper and easier, but it would be great if they decided to not make it the cheapest and easiest way possible.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So one of the new characters is a space mushroom expert. I'm not sure which is funnier, that his expertise will be needed regularly or that it never comes up.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Pwnstar posted:

So one of the new characters is a space mushroom expert. I'm not sure which is funnier, that his expertise will be needed regularly or that it never comes up.

He sounds like a fun guy.

A fun guy.

A fungi.

:downsrim:

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Maybe the first season will be about first contact with these guys:

Banana Canada fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 1, 2017

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Sith Happens posted:

A fun guy.

A fungi.

I believe the emote you're looking for is :dadjoke:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sith Happens posted:

A fun guy.

A fungi.

Immediately go to a dungeon.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

bull3964 posted:

It's not pre-kelvin.

It's 10 years prior to TOS, so about 20 years after the Kelvin.

It actually would be taking place concurrently with the new movies considering how that was accelerated.

2254 is when discovery would be taking place. So the same year when Kirk got promoted to Lt in the prime timeline.

Kelvin incident took place in 2233 and ST 2009 took place in 2258.

My bad dude, I could have sworn the whole show was going to be about the time frame Anaxar was in and the reason they wanted to kill it was because they wanted to tell the story. Makes sense now that I know Anaxar is bullshit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Croatoan posted:

My bad dude, I could have sworn the whole show was going to be about the time frame Anaxar was in and the reason they wanted to kill it was because they wanted to tell the story. Makes sense now that I know Anaxar is bullshit.

It is, roughly, Axanar was 2251, Disc is about ten years before TOS in 2266.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And in case anyone has forgotten,

gently caress AXANAR.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

gently caress AXANAR.

They still haven't learned, by the way. Part of their settlement was that they couldn't do any crowdfunding and any financing for their two 15-minute films had to come from private sources.

So now, instead of actively soliciting donations, they're building a mailing list:

This was that page prior to the settlement.

Ten bucks says they hit up that list for money within a week, then argue that because it's not a public appeal for money, it falls within the settlement guidelines.

Oh, and a choice quote from Alec Peters:

quote:

It is a shame that the fan film community decided to turn against each other in this process because sticking together would have allowed us maybe to reach a better settlement.

(Remember that Peters tried to get other fan film projects like Continues and New Voyages shut down and sent multiple emails to CBS and Paramount about how they might be infringing, later denied doing so, and then wound up with mud on his face when both CBS and Paramount produced email chains proving it during discovery. But, no, the fan community turned on itself.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 2, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The balls on that guy. If this was 50 years ago Paramount would've sent some goons to his house by now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

The balls on that guy. If this was 50 years ago Paramount would've sent some goons to his house by now.

The internet has really made protecting your IP inconvenient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rKg11tu3HA

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What mystifies me are the Trek fans outside of this forum who refuse to acknowledge Axanar and Peters are at fault and actively trying to poison the water for other fan projects. Go to the comments on any Axanar article on Trekmovie, io9, etc and they're full of people defending them and decrying Paramount/CBS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What mystifies me are the Trek fans outside of this forum who refuse to acknowledge Axanar and Peters are at fault and actively trying to poison the water for other fan projects. Go to the comments on any Axanar article on Trekmovie, io9, etc and they're full of people defending them and decrying Paramount/CBS.

Maybe they don't realize that Axanar is the reason why CBS and Paramount hosed fan movies so hard.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If they aren't doing everything possible to please me personally and validate my kickstarting decisions, Paramount clearly hates the fans.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think a lot of that is an ingrained sense that the corporate folks must be in the wrong, when people actually hear the details on some of the poo poo the Axanar production tried to pull off they usually at least somewhat reconsider.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hating Paramount when Paramount usually has nothing to do with the shittiest Star Trek things is one of the oldest Trekkie traditions.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Mental Hospitality posted:

Star Trek at the bar is how we roll. :stare:

It's Scorpion!

Dammit, Slim Jim

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The folks over at TrekBBS are pretty vocal about hating Alex Peters, though some are a bit :smug: and say poo poo like "Well I for one am glad that CBS gave us the guidelines, the fan films were getting too professional anyway."

https://www.trekbbs.com/forums/fan-productions.32/

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Fan films that are any good are the exception rather than the rule, and usually the shorter the better anyway, but it still sucks for anyone who liked fan shows that have been kneecapped and pissed on very intentionally by Axanar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are good fan films?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dont even fink about it posted:

Hating Paramount when Paramount usually has nothing to do with the shittiest Star Trek things is one of the oldest Trekkie traditions.

Paramount gave us Voyager and Enterprise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

There are good fan films?

Yes. See what I mean? Shorter the better.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Paramount gave us Voyager and Enterprise.

And Nemesis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

Yes. See what I mean? Shorter the better.

You did not seriously post that piece of poo poo in defense of fan films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

You did not seriously post that piece of poo poo in defense of fan films.

Look it may not have aged perfectly but it's still pretty decent. :colbert:

I would have said Damnatus but that'd go against my point since it's practically a feature film.