Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, Masai seems like a good GM to me. He's drafted well, made good trades, signed the right guys and, more importantly, not signed bad players. The closest thing to a "bad contract" on that roster is Demare Carrol and he got injured.

He came into a roster with not a ton on it, kept the best pieces around, let the bad pieces walk.

The last 4 years have, quite literally, been the most successful years the raptors have ever had. He's a good GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Derozen deal tho ehhh. Tough call on that one.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

euphronius posted:

It's at least market price for an elite scorer who keeps getting better year after year.

euphronius posted:

I think the problem with the raptors is their players arent good enough to win a title.

Could be the coach I guess.

I don't know what tactical qualities these guys think the Raptor's are missing. As if drawing some more Xs and Os is going to turn Demar into Lebron. Casey is a great coach in some respects, for reasons not really valued here, and he's got an amazing track record of growth with the team. Every year the team has gotten better. He's a great motivator, the guys love him, he has a rock solid personality. These things you want in your head coach, and are probably harder to find. It's the assistant's job to be the Xs and Os egghead. If you're looking for a coach that is excellent at both interpersonal relations and 'tactics' you're now looking at Gregg Popovich. Is this the sort of coach you expect to find in ditching Casey?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

If they let DeRozen walk they'd be a .500 team right now and Lowry would probably be gone first chance because it would be clear the team wasn't focused on winning.

The contract is fine.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

euphronius posted:

The DeRozan deal can be seen as good but you have to first accept that sports can have as its valuable end something other than winning the championship.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Paul Zuvella posted:

I knew Dokmo would vindicate me.

He did not.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

euphronius posted:

Lol not at all

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

please explain why this is tough to call

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Just a reminder that Cuban was Pro-Trump before he was anti-Trump.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Just a reminder that Cuban was Pro-Trump before he was anti-Trump.

Realizing the error in one's ways and changing your mind should be recognized and valorized, not shamed.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Don't forget that super weird period where he was like "I'd love to be the vice president for either of them!" that was just bizarre.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Realizing the error in one's ways and changing your mind should be recognized and valorized, not shamed.

Counterpoint: Cuban is a sleazy shitbag who despises workers' rights and Unions; he only supported Hillary because she was a regular Republican.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/thomasawful/status/718889068365488128

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

fuckin lol

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

attackmole posted:

I sit around and watch a lot of basketball with my dad and we get in dumb conversations. We were watching DJ Augustin light the Raptors up in Orlando and flipping to a Miami game and watching James Johnson doing a bunch of cool poo poo. He was like "Weren't those guys on our team a while back? I don't remember them being that good". Lou Williams is lighting it up in LA too. Is it just a coincidence that bench players leave the Raptors and end up looking better? Yeah I'm cherrypicking people here, but to me it seems like Casey doesn't know how to elevate the play of bit players and doesn't have a single loving plan when pounding the ball to your superstars stops working. To me, one of the hallmarks of a good coach is someone who can elevate the play of everyone on the team, not just the superstars, and I don't see that in Casey at all.

Yes, I know that Lowry + the bench is one of the best offensive units, but it still tends to be that Lowry's the only offensive weapon out there, and I think he's quarterbacking the offense anyways. Casey can hold together the teams defense on their good days, but the offense doesn't extend past a couple of lame pick and rolls and feeding Lowry or Derozan. It's pretty goddamn clear that Casey got his start as a defensive coordinator because he sure as poo poo just kinda lets the offense happen.

Right now the team is basically a shittier, less dynamic version of the Scott Brooks era Thunder a few years ago minus the MVP candidates. The team's structure and style make it particularly well suited to doing pretty good in the regular season and then getting exposed in the playoffs, and I'm just wondering how many more loving times I'm going to have to watch Derozan and Lowry shoot under 40% in the playoffs before management notices. Let me repeat that. Over the last 3 years, both players have averaged 39% shooting in the postseason. Why is that? Is that because they magically turn into pumpkins? Well, they both did have had their moments of inexplicable shooting slumps. But I would say it's mostly because the easy shots they have during the regular season aren't there anymore. That's true for everyone in the playoffs, but I suspect they're both under the average FG% loss by a decent margin. Why? Because in a series, coaches can gameplan against them, nullify their usual methods of scoring, and then Casey doesn't know how to generate a loving open shot other than handing the ball to one of them and asking them to make magic happen.
You're cherry picking to a ridiculous degree. Lou Williams won 6th man of the year here and is only getting more shots on a bad Lakers team. Augustin played a total of 10 games here, is on his 6th team in 4 years and is mostly a bad player in Orlando. James Johnson was a starter here his first run, and you could make the case that his 2014-15 with us was the best year of his career. The Raptors bench has been very good in recent years (weren't they best in the league last year?), hasn't had a ton of investment in it and not all of those guys had success elsewhere. I don't think Biyombo has really worked out in Orlando for instance. No teams have good plans for when their stars aren't in, because this is basketball. Before last year they were more above average than good and a team you could easily see losing in the first round. They got better last year and made the conference finals taking 2 games off the Cavs, which to me is playing up to expectations.

Lessail posted:

Interesting you leave out the Demar, Casey, and Demarre signings. The Cory Joseph signing is looking like utter poo poo. The Bargs 1st rounder is Poeltl and wasn't used in a trade. He drafted Bruno.

And he sat around and watched his team slip from second in the east to wherever the Raptors will end up
Demar, on his contract right now, is a high valued asset. Joseph looks fine for a backup point guard. Poeltl is a rookie. Most late first rounders don't work out. Get a grip.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

No he's right his team should fire the best GM they've ever had, who has brought them the most success they have ever had and all of this contracts are bad.

They should definitely fire him, there are so many good executives out there. They could even bring in Billy King!

Casey should totally be fired though, but for all we know he is extremely well liked by the players and they want to be able to re-sign lowry.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

:redflag:
I wrote that when the logo came out and nobody gave me 6000 retweets :( :( :redflag:

I also rebranded the team but I don't remember what inspired the theme

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like what is so bad about DeMar's contract?

He got his market value.

It's not like there was anyone better for them to use their cap space on. And at some point it only matters what the owner is willing to pay as any reasonable amount of money if they reupped DeRozan would have put them over the soft cap.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah any argument against the Derozan contract is really dumb.

The team would be what... 2 games over .500 without him?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

The DeRozan deal can be seen as good but you have to first accept that sports can have as its valuable end something other than winning the championship.

Exactly

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't know what people thought the Raptors path to the championship was supposed to be, besides pray that you can draft the next LeBron with a pick in the 20's.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Trust me I get where you guys are at in the frustration at your favorite team not being good enough to get past the LeBron's. But trust me. You don't want to go back unless you want to blow the whole thing up. And if you want to do that fine, but the Basketball you will be watching will almost assuredly be so much worse than it is now. Then just wait you are likely gonna run into the Giannis wall that's going to be in his prime when LeBron is fading.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Embiid wall but yeah

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

Trust me I get where you guys are at in the frustration at your favorite team not being good enough to get past the LeBron's. But trust me. You don't want to go back unless you want to blow the whole thing up. And if you want to do that fine, but the Basketball you will be watching will almost assuredly be so much worse than it is now. Then just wait you are likely gonna run into the Giannis wall that's going to be in his prime when LeBron is fading.

I agree with this. I'd much rather be winning most of the games with a dumb coach and top out at the ECF than be in limbo or even rebuilding. Rebuilding sucks. I watched it for 5 years. It is terrible. Like I know people are like "it's better to be really bad" sometimes but for someone who watches all the games I appreciate that we win most of them.

That said, the people who say Casey's XOs aren't that bad are insane. He is the most passive and reactive coach in the NBA. He rarely adjusts without the other team first forcing his hand and even then it happens 2 timeouts too late. He does not optimize our lineup and often puts players in roles for which they wont succeed. He somehow falls in love with players (Scola, Carroll, etc) and plays them way too many important minutes. I get that we play really hard and the team loves him. And that is really important for a young team or a team trying to go from OK to good. But I don't think that's enough at this point. There is a reason the Raptors always look worse in the playoffs and it's not because the players are chokers. It's because if a team gets even a few days to gameplan for us it's over. Hell the only reason we beat the Pacers was because Vogel had a stroke and forgot that he was playing Rodney Stuckey important minutes.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

BWV posted:

That said, the people who say Casey's XOs aren't that bad are insane. He is the most passive and reactive coach in the NBA. He rarely adjusts without the other team first forcing his hand and even then it happens 2 timeouts too late. He does not optimize our lineup and often puts players in roles for which they wont succeed. He somehow falls in love with players (Scola, Carroll, etc) and plays them way too many important minutes. I get that we play really hard and the team loves him. And that is really important for a young team or a team trying to go from OK to good. But I don't think that's enough at this point. There is a reason the Raptors always look worse in the playoffs and it's not because the players are chokers. It's because if a team gets even a few days to gameplan for us it's over. Hell the only reason we beat the Pacers was because Vogel had a stroke and forgot that he was playing Rodney Stuckey important minutes.

Other coaches rave about Casey . Maybe the analysis of armchair bball nerds is incomplete in some way? Tangible progress in wins and the testimony of other professionals I feel is overwhelmingly in support of Casey compared to the mood-tinted nit-picking of substituions and amateur perspective on end-of-game plays.

I can see why he plays Carroll so much. He's a tall utility player who is tall enough to guard pretty much everyone. With the Raptor's lineup, any other coach would be making the same decisions.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 2, 2017

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I would never say Masai is a bad GM, but I do think he's a step below the guys who are normally considered the best in the NBA (Buford, Myers, Morey, Ainge). I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt in Toronto, but as the years go by, the Raptors are beginning to remind me more and more of the Nuggets he left. Nobody can deny they are/were a good team, but they clearly aren't contenders and there isn't a clear path to get to that point. I don't know, sometimes there truly aren't any deals to make, but it feels like the best GMs in the NBA find a way to pivot towards contention out of thin air, and Masai hasn't.

I certainly wouldn't want him gone if he was GM of my team, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ainge ?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Other coaches rave about Casey . Maybe the analysis of armchair bball nerds is incomplete in some way?

I can see why he plays Carroll so much. He's a tall utility player who is tall enough to guard pretty much everyone. With the Raptor's lineup, any other coach would be making the same line-up decisions.

See that's what I'm saying though. On paper it seems that he is a tall utility player. But he isn't. He is a tall player who used to be a utility player. With his injured knee and finger he cannot do any of the things they need him to do. But they play him nonetheless because it seems like the right thing to do. Just watch him for any amount of time and it's clear he cannot execute his responsibilities.

Casey seems like a good man. He is respected and carries himself with a great deal of dignity it seems. This I imagine is respected, as is his time as an assistant coach. But he gets worked every time a team can game plan for him. Over the course of the season it's not important because in the east having a deep team that plays hard is enough to win a lot of games. But it's so clear that he is not a good in game coach.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't know what people thought the Mavericks path to the championship was supposed to be, besides trade for an injured center and hope that Kidd has some gas left in the tank

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sheriff posted:

I would never say Masai is a bad GM, but I do think he's a step below the guys who are normally considered the best in the NBA (Buford, Myers, Morey, Ainge). I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt in Toronto, but as the years go by, the Raptors are beginning to remind me more and more of the Nuggets he left. Nobody can deny they are/were a good team, but they clearly aren't contenders and there isn't a clear path to get to that point. I don't know, sometimes there truly aren't any deals to make, but it feels like the best GMs in the NBA find a way to pivot towards contention out of thin air, and Masai hasn't.

I certainly wouldn't want him gone if he was GM of my team, though.

Buford? I think you mean coach/GM Popovich. Myers got lucky the Bogut deal worked out and that neither he or Steph's legs exploded. One injury and his legacy would be much different. People thought he was a dogshit GM at the time, making risky plays to save his job.

But I guess if the biggest criticism is that Masai isn't top 4, then I'm still happy. Hell it's enough for me with the rest of the team. I like good basketball and that's what I'm getting.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

have we discussed this yet

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/826989920245780480

the mavs video people are at it again

This is the best thing

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
There's no Dirk on Toronto, and I think teams have wised up enough that a Tyson Chandler type player would take a lot more to acquire these days.

I also think that Dallas is an example of why you should keep going with good teams instead of blowing it up at the first sign of trouble.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I am an old man and literally have no idea what is happening in that Mavs video, but the fact that you people like it goes a long way to explaining why you guys unironically think Space Jam is good.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

BWV posted:

See that's what I'm saying though. On paper it seems that he is a tall utility player. But he isn't. He is a tall player who used to be a utility player. With his injured knee and finger he cannot do any of the things they need him to do. But they play him nonetheless because it seems like the right thing to do. Just watch him for any amount of time and it's clear he cannot execute his responsibilities.

Casey seems like a good man. He is respected and carries himself with a great deal of dignity it seems. This I imagine is respected, as is his time as an assistant coach. But he gets worked every time a team can game plan for him. Over the course of the season it's not important because in the east having a deep team that plays hard is enough to win a lot of games. But it's so clear that he is not a good in game coach.

So what is the more appealing inference with Carroll, assume that a 27 year old has lost all his previous virtues as a basketball player, virtues he was demonstrating as recent as 8 months ago, or that he is going through a slump and needs time to get his game back? I don't think he's playing quite as badly as you all seem to think either. His shot is busted for sure though.

I was watching an interview with Brad Stevens a while ago where he said he thought Casey was one of the best strategic coaches in the league. There may be some nuances we are missing. Maybe he's not the best tactical - Xs and Os - guy, but the way he uses players like Demar to his advantage offensively, creating mismatches has been clever. I think what Casey has created in Toronto is a simple offense, where the core is forcing mismatches through running off screens and getting the old school clean looks at long two. It's been extremely efficient, flying in the face of analytics. Why is simple good? It is sustainable, you don't ask much from your players on the offensive end, letting them focus mental and physical resources on defense. All I'm saying here is that what is usually taken at face value as a negative quality of an offense - simplicity - may actually be a virtue when you analyze it in context. I think we make the same mistake when looking at Casey.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Spring Break My Heart posted:

There's no Dirk on Toronto, and I think teams have wised up enough that a Tyson Chandler type player would take a lot more to acquire these days.

I also think that Dallas is an example of why you should keep going with good teams instead of blowing it up at the first sign of trouble.

Yeah Toronto doesn't have the flexibility that Dallas did, but here's Lowry and DeRozan's last full season vs Dirk's championship season

code:

Rk          Player  Season Age  G   MP  PER  TS% 3PAr  FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV%  USG% OWS DWS   WS   WS/48 OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
1    DeMar DeRozan 2015-16  26 78 2804 21.5 .550 .101 .474  2.7 11.5  7.1 20.8  1.5  0.6  9.5  29.8 7.5 2.4  9.9    .169  2.7 -1.2 1.4  2.4
2       Kyle Lowry 2015-16  29 77 2851 22.2 .578 .457 .410  2.2 12.3  7.3 29.9  2.9  1.0 13.7  26.1 8.0 3.7 11.6    .196  6.2  0.6 6.8  6.3
3    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-11  32 73 2504 23.4 .612 .142 .376  2.4 20.8 12.0 14.2  0.8  1.4  9.1  28.2 7.8 3.3 11.1    .213  3.2  0.6 3.8  3.7

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
The frustration is not about being able to beat LeBron, most fans are pleasantly surprised that they even took 2 games off of them in the ECF last year. Hell, making the ECF was a huge loving surprise considering how awful they played in the first 2 rounds but somehow bumbled their way through. Don't forget, the number one priority for the Raptors last year was to make it out of the 1st round, something they have never done since Vince Carter.

I'm fine with topping out at the ECF. Kyle and Demar playing out of their minds plus streaky 3's from the rest of the team looks good on the box score. It's also masked their flaws pretty drat well in the regular season, but usually only gets exposed in the playoffs. Now we're just seeing it early against the bottom-feeders of the league. (not Boston obv) They barely squeaked by the playoffs last year and this year will be even tougher. It really doesn't matter what seed they get, any team 1 to 8 will be a hard series for them. The Giannis wall could very well be this season even, giving how this team is playing.

Everyone in the organization loves Casey, even the Toronto media hasn't made an attempt at criticizing him. The closest anyone's got was Lowry after the Wizards sweep. It's not hard to see why since he seems like such a class act in every behind the scenes type of footage I've seen of him. He's a good motivator and gets his guys to play hard, but that's the only good thing I can say about him.

Unfortunately, there's not gonna be any good replacements now since all of the good coaches that was on the market months and months back have now all found teams.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wasn't Tyson Chandler at the time a slightly risky pickup, coming off an injury?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think the most ridiculous thing about Space Jam is that MJ lives in some boring 3-bedroom house in the middle of the suburbs.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Wasn't Tyson Chandler at the time a slightly risky pickup, coming off an injury?

And the Jason Kidd trade seemed like an all-time worst at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah this elite scorer who can also defend was a real tough call to give a max deal lmfao

• Locked thread