Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The enemy dodged my first attack, what do I do :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Digirat posted:

Is the theme you get for preordering already usable? Does it look cool if so?

I read the OP.

Yes, Yes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The best part is the destructoid editor in the comments saying it isn't really that hard

The number of people in the comments saying that they like Dark Souls but if it's really that much harder they're going to give it a pass makes me sad. I hate myself so I decided to reply to them and at least one of them changed their mind when I pointed out that a) you can co-op in Nioh and b) it isn't harder than Souls, it's just different, and if you like Souls but you're getting wrecked at Nioh it's probably because you're playing it like Souls and not Nioh.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Difficulty is weird. One notable fat gamesman, just said that it was harder then dark souls but not crazy hard like Ninja Gaiden 2. Dark souls is way harder then Ninja Gaidens ever were, which were tough and took a few runs at bosses, but didn't require me 5-10 hours of rewiring my gamebrain like dark souls did.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Has anybody made a discord server for this game that comes out in like 3 freakin' days? If not, I'll probably make one tonight if Belzac doesn't

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It's hard if you try to play it like Dark Souls. Once you realize that it's Bloodborne with an active reload system for your stamina and a customizable moveset system with some other cool subsystems added (like blocking) it plays so much better.

Ninja Gaiden:Black and Dark Souls are two of my favorite games I've ever played. I almost never pre-order but after playing the alpha/beta demos I saw the resemblance and put down money immediately.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 3, 2017

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Bombadilillo posted:

Difficulty is weird. One notable fat gamesman, just said that it was harder then dark souls but not crazy hard like Ninja Gaiden 2. Dark souls is way harder then Ninja Gaidens ever were, which were tough and took a few runs at bosses, but didn't require me 5-10 hours of rewiring my gamebrain like dark souls did.

uhhh... i guess its ultimately a matter of opinion, but ninja gaiden 1 & 2 on anything but the most basic difficulty are an order of magnitude more difficult than dark souls. there are infinitely more mechanics and the speed of combat is about 20 times faster. dark souls is tough... but its ultimately about patience. ninja gaiden is about being on your a game 100% of the time or you die. i can only speak to my experience, but coming off dark souls 3 and bloodborne, i thought nioh was quite a bit more difficult.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Were the perfectly timed ki pulses super hard for anyone else? I completed both the alpha and beta demos a few times, but could just never get the hang of pulsing when the ki makes a circle with any kind of consistency. It's something that's made me probably unreasonably nervous about the game, since pulsing correctly is such an important mechanic for fighting demons and such.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bugblatter posted:

Were the perfectly timed ki pulses super hard for anyone else? I completed both the alpha and beta demos a few times, but could just never get the hang of pulsing when the ki makes a circle with any kind of consistency. It's something that's made me probably unreasonably nervous about the game, since pulsing correctly is such an important mechanic for fighting demons and such.

I found it was easier to time it based on the ki gauge, hitting it right as the white part of the meter fills. Obviously this is not ideal since it takes your eyes off the action but in a pinch when you really need to hit that perfect pulse it seemed to work out okay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bombadilillo posted:

jeffLebowski posted:

uhhh... i guess its ultimately a matter of opinion, but ninja gaiden 1 & 2 on anything but the most basic difficulty are an order of magnitude more difficult than dark souls. there are infinitely more mechanics and the speed of combat is about 20 times faster. dark souls is tough... but its ultimately about patience. ninja gaiden is about being on your a game 100% of the time or you die. i can only speak to my experience, but coming off dark souls 3 and bloodborne, i thought nioh was quite a bit more difficult.

Yeah I'm with JeffLebowski here. Dark Souls gave me some initial trouble for sure, but once you get past Taurus Demon and Capra and especially once you get past Blighttown, you know what you're doing and its pretty smooth sailing.

Ninja gaiden on the other hand, holy loving poo poo that's hard.

Ninja Gaiden on highest difficulty is like, playing dark souls at SL1.

Dark souls isn't even so much about patience as learning and being observant. Ninja Gaiden was 100% reflexes.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
And people say it's easy.

But like nioh, it's all enemy management

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Ninja Gaiden 2 is one of the games that made me the most angry. For a game that hard to have a camera that bad is inexcusable.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just want every game to copy GOD HAND's camera.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm with JeffLebowski here. Dark Souls gave me some initial trouble for sure, but once you get past Taurus Demon and Capra and especially once you get past Blighttown, you know what you're doing and its pretty smooth sailing.

Ninja gaiden on the other hand, holy loving poo poo that's hard.

Ninja Gaiden on highest difficulty is like, playing dark souls at SL1.

Dark souls isn't even so much about patience as learning and being observant. Ninja Gaiden was 100% reflexes.

You could still learn Ninja Gaiden. I remember playing it and getting destroyed by the early horse boss and it killed over 30 times. I eventually got through the game. Coming back years later after playing 2 I aced the fight. I agree its more twitch skill and must be on your A game but you do get its rhythm just like you do a Dark Souls.

Granted, a mook in DS will hurt you and cost estus to gently caress you. A Mook in Ninja Gaiden will kill you in 1 combo. Nioh doesn't seem THAT bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bombadilillo posted:

You could still learn Ninja Gaiden. I remember playing it and getting destroyed by the early horse boss and it killed over 30 times. I eventually got through the game. Coming back years later after playing 2 I aced the fight. I agree its more twitch skill and must be on your A game but you do get its rhythm just like you do a Dark Souls.

Granted, a mook in DS will hurt you and cost estus to gently caress you. A Mook in Ninja Gaiden will kill you in 1 combo. Nioh doesn't seem THAT bad.

Mooks in Nioh definitely can gently caress you up really bad really fast, but I *love* that. It reminds me of Bushido Blade, where every hit has to be respected. And I mean, if you take a sword hit and you're not wearing full plate armor its gonna gently caress you up pretty bad.

But once you get some stats and learn the combat most of the normal mooks are pretty dang easy. The harder parts in Nioh obviously are the oni, bosses, or groups of large enemies.

That said playing the twilight mission in the demo, I totally did die to most of the mooks. Getting through the level on twilight solo was a serious challenge. But that's a really great balance honestly, the normal levels aren't too bad (and are pretty easy if you co-op) but the twilight missions are very difficult (although manageable co-op).

Another game I was thinking regarding comparing dark souls and ninja gaiden is Devil May Cry. The original US release of DMC3 was so loving hard, I remember dying on certain bosses like 30 times and having to replay the entire area each time. DMC was also more twitch reflex than souls, but you definitely learned the game more as you played, certain rooms and traps. But I would say both DMC and Ninja Gaiden have a lot more muscle memory and reflex while souls definitely has some, its more about observing the environment and learning your enemies' tells.

Because in souls you have far less options as the player. I was co-oping Nioh with a friend and he put it really well, In souls you kinda play to the game's weaknesses, you try to find moments between the enemy's attack animations where they're weak or you try to force some dead angle backstab to get really good at pvp or you learn where the enemy is going to ambush you and prepare for it, but in Nioh its more about playing to the game's strengths, mastering your own techniques and timing and combos and ki pulses so that you can screw up whatever your opponent is going to try to do and overwhelm them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So did anyone get a chance to play with a decent Ninjitsu set-up? I always start these sort of games with big ideas about using items and skillful timing with tools rather than simply brute forcing everything, but I inevitably lose interest as bombs get weaker, so everything just gets stabbed to death instead.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I never did get good at killing the fire crystal Yokai that are in the Twilight Mission. I just got the skill for explosive shuriken and bombs and blew them up instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

So did anyone get a chance to play with a decent Ninjitsu set-up? I always start these sort of games with big ideas about using items and skillful timing with tools rather than simply brute forcing everything, but I inevitably lose interest as bombs get weaker, so everything just gets stabbed to death instead.

I tried a few, they definitely seem to be pretty cool. Shurikens are good for pulling but don't do much damage, but kunai do better damage. Still not much, but if you put enough points in scaling, could be good.

More important is the paralysis-weapon buff, the paralysis or poison grenades, the flaming explosive shurikens, caltrops, etc.

Ninja has a lot of traps and tricks as you might imagine, so probably best for a solo playstyle where you're pulling enemies one by one and leading them around and stuff, but IDK could be good for anything. One ability that was fun was the cat-walk spell which pretty much guarantees you can sneak up and backstab your next enemy without them noticing.

Lots of ninjitsu abilities with lots of different uses so its not like it pidgeonholes you for a single approach.

Magic was also pretty great, wind-weapon and fire-weapon help do tons of damage against Oni and Bosses. And the group healing spell was pretty effective.

http://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Ninja+Skills

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 3, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mr E posted:

I never did get good at killing the fire crystal Yokai that are in the Twilight Mission. I just got the skill for explosive shuriken and bombs and blew them up instead.

They're actually real easy to bait into doing that big overhead swing, which hits far in front of them but not at all behind them, so if you dash into their backs constantly you get a ton of opportunities for big damage.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
From what I've heard, the game has a difficulty spike starting out then levels out as you get better gear which seems about right.

I beat both Ninja Gaiden's on Master Ninja so I'm curious if that knowledge will help me.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Zaphod42 posted:

I tried a few, they definitely seem to be pretty cool. Shurikens are good for pulling but don't do much damage, but kunai do better damage. Still not much, but if you put enough points in scaling, could be good.

The thing about shuriken is that they throw near instantly - so the moment your enemy runs out of ki and gets into the red, you throw a shuriken. Instant, ki-free, safe stagger. A better version of rocks basically.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

DatonKallandor posted:

The thing about shuriken is that they throw near instantly - so the moment your enemy runs out of ki and gets into the red, you throw a shuriken. Instant, ki-free, safe stagger. A better version of rocks basically.

Works great against human bosses that seem to instantly regen ki. By the time you get in placment and get your swing on they can regen, so shuriken are invaluable.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
neither dark souls or this are hard lmao

valley of defilement is the only hard thing in any souls game. maybe first time in blight town.

Videogames used to be an actual game you could lose and people forgot that? or what

Poker is a hard game cause I don't win every hand QQ :(

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

DIFFICULTY IS A CONCEPT THAT IS SUBJECTIVE

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ZenVulgarity posted:

DIFFICULTY IS A CONCEPT THAT IS SUBJECTIVE

giantbomb writer spotted

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah, kinda like the guns in bloodborne. Used more like a parry move than a source of damage.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Will there be any co op restrictions with your level like in Souls?

Like will I have to worry if I'm at level 30 and suddenly can't do any co op because my level is too high or low? I played the first Nioh demo but never tried any co op.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Never seemed to be, at least at the level ranges in the demos. I could be level 40 and get summoned by players just starting out, with and without a password.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I think the technical difficulty (skill-ceiling) of the combat is much much harder in Nioh but I didn't find the actual game that hard. Tachibana and the first Yokai in the Twilight Mission gave me the most trouble but there's definitely harder things in Souls. Ninja Gaiden is "harder" but I struggled at certain points in Souls games much more than I ever struggled in Ninja Gaiden Black even on high difficulties. I think a big part of it is that in DS and Nioh level, build, and equipment can cause the experience to be so different. I was very underleveled for Ornstein and Smough and Orphan of Kos when I hit them in their respective games and they just destroyed me over and over solo. When I went back through on subsequent runs with actual builds and at the proper (or higher) level, they were cakewalks. Same thing in Nioh, the Twilight Mission and Tachibana were hard until I got some level 30+ equipment from some revenants and then things got really, really easy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mr E posted:

I just want every game to copy GOD HAND

Maybe some day :sigh:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Never seemed to be, at least at the level ranges in the demos. I could be level 40 and get summoned by players just starting out, with and without a password.

Hell yeah. Nioh Sherpa's

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, once you know where all the gear is and how the damage mechanics work a Soul Level 1 run isn't actually that bad. Since you're not leveling up you have cash to buy all the titanite and keep every piece of gear you own maxed out (I still love you +10 Balder Shield). O+S was really the only fight that really gave me trouble. I got so good at dodging Manus' ground pound bullshit :)

I didn't get to play any of the demos, but I'm anticipating this to play closer to Bloodborne or God Hand than Dark Souls, with more emphasis on reaction dodging and enemy punishing instead of being able to turtle and wait for chances to attack.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to avoid further info when the game comes out. Were all the mechanics that were important in the demos explained by the game/easily discoverable by just playing normally? I don't really want to read any more about the game (I consider some pretty abstract sorts of things to be spoilers) but I do want to know about anything dumb like adaptability in dark souls 2, if people already found something like that the demos.

This just seems like the kind of game that might obfuscate some important stuff for no reason, although I'm not sure why it feels that way

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It feels like that because it's constantly being compared to dark souls, which obfuscates basically everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everything I've seen of Nioh makes it seem to be the exact opposite of Dark Souls in that regard, everything is explained or tutorialised somewhere.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Just like the Souls games, Nioh has the thing where you hit the "help" button (it tells you at the bottom which button it is) to explain exactly what something means. "ki recovery (critical)"? You can just ask the game and it'll tell you. Nobody who streamed the game used this, including the ones who claimed to be Dark Souls players. But it's been a thing since Demons.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i am excited to play this game soon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Just like the Souls games, Nioh has the thing where you hit the "help" button (it tells you at the bottom which button it is) to explain exactly what something means. "ki recovery (critical)"? You can just ask the game and it'll tell you. Nobody who streamed the game used this, including the ones who claimed to be Dark Souls players. But it's been a thing since Demons.

Honestly, though, some of those descriptions aren't very helpful on their own. I don't remember any specific examples, but some of them just restate whatever the confusing label was using two or three more words. I didn't get the feeling it was intentional obfuscation, though, it just felt like kinda crappy UI translation.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah there are a couple of them that aren't as clear as they possibly could be. On the other hand some of those are cases where you simply couldn't put in a quick description and you'd need a wiki to tell you exactly how that suffix interacts with system x or y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just to triple check, the digital deluxe edition comes with the season pass?

I should probably just get it...