Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So to compare the magic types between Nioh and Dark Souls: would it be accurate to say onmyo magic is more similar to miracles, while ninjutsu is more similar to sorcery/pyromancy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess, but neither is as powerful as those.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I'm not really that interested in building for either, but just for comparison's sake.

I like that you get onmyo and ninjutsu skill points as you go anyway, because both skill trees have a few things worth dipping into even if you don't build your stats for them, which is nice.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ACValiant posted:

Oh awesome. I feel like I'm hearing different things about this. When I get home after work I'll try this out and see for myself.

Hey wanna do this together tonight and confirm?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can't play this till I get back from work but add me on PSN: Halgreth.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I kept chasing down a kappa around until it got angry and attacked me by, well...

quote:

They are sometimes said to take their victims for the purpose of drinking their blood, eating their livers, or gaining power by taking their shirikodama (尻子玉), a mythical ball said to contain the soul, which is located inside the anus. Even today, signs warning about kappa appear by bodies of water in some Japanese towns and villages.

Let it not be said that Nioh doesn't try to be overly accurate.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The clutter breaking as soon as you run into it is nice, gently caress poo poo blocking my way

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alteisen posted:

I found her pretty easy to be honest, though I did have experience with her from the beta. :sweatdrop:

Key things are her biggest openings is when she swoops at you and when she does her little combo with kicks but ONLY if she attacks 3 times, also remember to stay in low stance when she's shooting crap at you as that stance has the highest I frames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBTHh5heTcI

Here's me killing her on my first go, she got me once with the paralysis.

Does anyone know what the variable is that causes paralysis to last longer/shorter? When she gets you with the paralysis orb, it only lasts a few seconds. When I get hit it's long enough for her to fly across the room, do two full combos, and take me from full health to nothing. Seriously, it lasts for loving eveerrrr.

It'd be an easy fight without that BS, so I'm wondering if I need to be mashing buttons (That seemed to actually effect stances and inventory so I hope not) or equipping/unquipping something?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Does anyone know what the variable is that causes paralysis to last longer/shorter? When she gets you with the paralysis orb, it only lasts a few seconds. When I get hit it's long enough for her to fly across the room, do two full combos, and take me from full health to nothing. Seriously, it lasts for loving eveerrrr.

It'd be an easy fight without that BS, so I'm wondering if I need to be mashing buttons (That seemed to actually effect stances and inventory so I hope not) or equipping/unquipping something?

They were using anti-paralytic needles to cure it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Genocyber posted:

They were using anti-paralytic needles to cure it.

Ah, I completely forgot that I've been picking those up. Thanks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm gonna have a hard time watching Nioh gameplay videos because so many people never Ki pulse. (Not true of the video Alteisen shared, but so many other boss fight videos I've found don't have a single Ki pulse and it bugs the hell out of me.)

Unrelated: is there any way to increase a piece of equipment's quality, like from yellow to blue or from blue to purple? I've seen people say "get a purple Raikiri" as a good first step in a Spirit build but the mission that gives you that weapon gives you a blue one. Is there a random chance it'll be upgraded when you complete the mission, or is there some way to upgrade it yourself? Or another source for the same weapon later?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

Ah, I completely forgot that I've been picking those up. Thanks.

You can also use Anti-Paralysis Pills that will completely prevent the status effect for around 15 seconds.
If you have Kunai or Shuriken, you can unload them all while she's in the air to knock her out and deplete all her stamina, but she'll immediately try to grab you when she gets back up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm gonna have a hard time watching Nioh gameplay videos because so many people never Ki pulse. (Not true of the video Alteisen shared, but so many other boss fight videos I've found don't have a single Ki pulse and it bugs the hell out of me.)

Unrelated: is there any way to increase a piece of equipment's quality, like from yellow to blue or from blue to purple? I've seen people say "get a purple Raikiri" as a good first step in a Spirit build but the mission that gives you that weapon gives you a blue one. Is there a random chance it'll be upgraded when you complete the mission, or is there some way to upgrade it yourself? Or another source for the same weapon later?

Ki Pulsing takes time to get used to and honestly I think prioritizing the "Ki pulse on dodge' upgrades ASAP should be a priority at least for mid/high stance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Ki Pulsing takes time to get used to and honestly I think prioritizing the "Ki pulse on dodge' upgrades ASAP should be a priority at least for mid/high stance.

Yeah, that's what I did in the demo with skills. But even some later-game boss videos are uploaded by people who just never seem to press R1 and also never unlocked the Ki pulse on dodge skills and it's all very :psyduck:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there any specific purpose to summoning the revenants from the graves?

The ones with red names were placed by the developers and often have predesignated drops.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there a physical deluxe edition? Only seeing the normal version and digital deluxe edition on store websites.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
For those who missed the demos, this is one of the better beginner's guide videos out there right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex85YCkB3I4

Explains elements, status effects, the Discord debuff, Kodamas, blacksmith functions, and more.
I myself didn't notice Kodamas stacked regionally at all.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ok. Game is certified good.

After literally not being able to beat the forst enemy in the alpha I jumped back in off only good hype.

Beat first level with 2 deaths total. Block and no pulse and win. Loving dual katana. The parry is great on mooks. The block poke into a combo->ki flux into low stance to shread them is amaaaaaazing.

Every weapon is amazing. This game loving rules.

Now I have to dumb work. Gonna try the kurisagama when I get home. Everything I read said it was amazing but more advanced. No problems jumping in with it?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone using Axes? How are they?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Harrow posted:

In the demo the way to get higher grade versions of the Muneshige set and Raikiri was fighting Revenants. You could get white through purple versions of everything those players had equipped.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Axes are for burst and ki damage, mainly, at the cost of higher commitment for their moves (startup and recovery times for animations).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Against humans they stagger them easily with light attack. Pretty good to get combos due to stunlock. I'm wary to drop a bunch of points into strength. Just for them though.

Seems like dual katana and axes are builds without a direct secondary benefit. Am I wrong?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh weird I think Amazon sent me two preorder goodie vouchers. If that's the case I'll offer one up here later.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Seems like dual katana and axes are builds without a direct secondary benefit. Am I wrong?

Strength definitely seems like a bit of a poo poo stat because the only other major thing it affects is cannon damage (I could be wrong about this). For dual swords at least, skill also provides decent scaling with Kusarigama and I think spears?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm liking dual katanas. But I'm worried by leveling skill I will screw myself.

But I saw a reviewed who had 10 in everything and 60 in strength and stamina. So you can beat the gave with whatever build.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 7, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm liking dual katanas. But I'm worried by leveling skill I will screw myself.

Respec items are plentiful enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ACValiant posted:

This is just :psypop: to me. Why would you want to kill the co-op right out the gate? Me and a buddy were going to play through the game together, now it's just like... welp. There goes that.

Yeah I'm super bummed about this. As it is me and my friend are just racing each other to beat a level and then co-oping after, but its a real drag compared to just co-oping the whole time.

Why would Team Ninja do this? Hopefully they reverse it.

You can play twilight missions together from the get-go at least. But man, lame.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

That's for Dark Souls style summon help. From http://www.gosunoob.com/nioh/how-to-play-coop-nioh/ (first hit on google for nioh coop)

I don't think you can do this until after you beat a level either, unfortunately. Its only giving us a few missions to pick from. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

So to compare the magic types between Nioh and Dark Souls: would it be accurate to say onmyo magic is more similar to miracles, while ninjutsu is more similar to sorcery/pyromancy?

Onmyo magic is a mix of both Sorceries (offensive magics and weapon buffs) and Miracles (buffs and heals) while Ninjitsu is more like Pyromancy, if you had to say something like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Once you have the blueprints you can craft an item and there's a chance it'll be blue or yellow or purple or whatever, and there's even blue purple rare materials and using more rare materials increases the chances of crafting a rare item.

Or you can just farm a level over and over and hope for it, or look for a mission that rewards one. I think purple raikiri was specifically a mission reward but I could be remembering wrong.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bombadilillo posted:

Against humans they stagger them easily with light attack. Pretty good to get combos due to stunlock. I'm wary to drop a bunch of points into strength. Just for them though.

Heavy Armor builds also give you all the stats you need for Axes. You can get a very narrow focused build out of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Axes can kill dudes in like literally 3 hits, which feels great. But they're super slow and use tons of stamina, so not so hot for bosses.

Something like Axe/Spear as a combo so you can switch when you need some range or speed would be a great combo.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bombadilillo posted:

So every other weapon links to a stat that benefits you in some other way? I wonder if dual katanas or axes are strong enough to compensate.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Strength definitely seems like a bit of a poo poo stat because the only other major thing it affects is cannon damage (I could be wrong about this). For dual swords at least, skill also provides decent scaling with Kusarigama and I think spears?

Katanas also scale off Strength, and probably something else too. Everything in this game overlaps something else. Each weapon has minimum 3 scaling stats, remember, and can even have more.

Which means every stat in this game is good and there's not really a way to gently caress your build. (Plus you can respec)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Megasabin posted:

So every other weapon links to a stat that benefits you in some other way? I wonder if dual katanas or axes are strong enough to compensate.

Every weapon has 3 stats it scales off by default.

Bombadilillo posted:

Huh? Axe has Body, Strength, Stamina scaling. Dual Katana has Heart, Strength, Skill scaling.

Where exactly does this without secondary benefit come from? Those stats overlap several other weapons, and also grant several passive benefits.

E: Also heavy armor has stamina and strength requirements, medium has body and strength, and light has body and skill.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Accidentally found a way to cheese the third boss. If you stand in the doorway to the boss room it can't hit you with the overhead lightning bolts because there's a roof above you. It makes it way easier to just wail on it and only worry about the swipes/lightning breath.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zaphod42 posted:

while Ninjitsu is more like Pyromancy, if you had to say something like that.

I think the closest comparison is arcane in Bloodborne. It's got some useful stuff but you can't rely on them entirely.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
i-frames in this game either barely exist or exist in a different part of the animation than seems logical. Or this boss boss on the boat attack hitboxes are just insanely active and huge. Fought him about 20 times now.

edit: he literally threw one of the giant balls through himself to hit me behind him :/

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Love the game. What's the main state for kurisagama? Dex?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

i-frames in this game either barely exist or exist in a different part of the animation than seems logical. Or this boss boss on the boat attack hitboxes are just insanely active and huge. Fought him about 20 times now.

It's a combination of all of the above. Don't be afraid to block way more than you would in a Souls game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Preordered this right under the wire yesterday, and played about 20 minutes this morning. This game is beautiful. Mikon_SA if anyone wants one more on their list.