Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

Ahahaha you have no idea how much most people need to be hand held through performing even the most basic troubleshooting. They need a person to guide them.

Help desk won't be automated till we get AI that can think and talk and pass a Turing test.

I've been doing helpdesk at the corporate level for 7 years.

Little old ladies can map a network drive and run windows update no problem. 65 year olds who tell me "I don't know poo poo about computers" can connect to the wifi without me having to describe the icon or explain what wi-fi is. Virus cleaning is already more or less automated at most companies, scanners work better than ever before and have less trouble automatically cleaning infections. Everyone uses computers, every single day. We are long past the days of needing helpdesk monkeys to teach basic computer proficiency to their users, those users already have the proficiency.

We took our helpdesk at Pfizer from 92 agents to less than 30 after the self-service portal went live and that was four years ago. I heard they'd dropped to less than 15 about a year after I left. They were primary english speaking support for the entire company, so 15 helpdesk guys for about 20,000? users.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Mirthless posted:

most businesses could replace their entire IT helpdesk tomorrow with a self-service portal and people would stop complaining about it within a week.

Pretty sure you've never worked in a help desk role or actual IT support capacity for a major organization if you legitimately believe this. Sure, a self-service portal replacement is fine for a small organization or maybe the select rare large environment here and there, but total pandemonium and possible collapse is likely if you did that for the vast, vast majority of major corporations, government agencies, etc. A basic tier 1 help desk is there for a reason. You cannot seriously expect the average non-technical (and many technical!) end user to function without some dude to ask about resetting their password or fixing their printer. Whether that person is in-house or sitting in some Midwest call center is immaterial, but he/she should exist for any organization that isn't a mismanaged total joke. The self-service portal is there to complement the organization's help desk/overall IT infrastructure and make their job that much easier, not foolishly replace it and hope the company doesn't burn down in the process.

Just stop posting, Mirthless. You have no clue.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Pretty sure you've never worked in a help desk role or actual IT support capacity for a major organization if you legitimately believe this. Sure, a self-service portal replacement is fine for a small organization or maybe the select rare large environment here and there, but total pandemonium and possible collapse is likely if you did that for the vast, vast majority of major corporations, government agencies, etc. A basic tier 1 help desk is there for a reason. You cannot seriously expect the average non-technical (and many technical!) end user to function without some dude to ask about resetting their password or fixing their printer. Whether that person is in-house or sitting in some Midwest call center is immaterial, but he/she should exist for any organization that isn't a mismanaged total joke. The self-service portal is there to complement the organization's help desk and make their job that much easier, not foolishly replace it and hope the company doesn't burn down in the process.

Just stop posting, Mirthless.

8th largest pharmaceutical company in the world dropped their helpdesk down to less than 20 people after their self service portal went live. I saw it happen. We had user satisfaction go up.

You are underestimating your users. Hold their hands less and see what happens.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I've worked in multiple helpdesks (have escaped that world, thank God) and have had to explain to multiple, as in more than 1, people how to enter web addresses into a browser and navigate to them

these are university professors and people that manage e-commerce websites. they need help, because they are really bad at computers, but suddenly find that most of their job is on a computer

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mirthless posted:

Little old ladies can map a network drive and run windows update no problem.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA :laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Congrats, Mirthless. You have officially posted The Wrongest Thing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Pretty sure you've never worked in a help desk role or actual IT support capacity for a major organization if you legitimately believe this. Sure, a self-service portal replacement is fine for a small organization or maybe the select rare large environment here and there, but total pandemonium and possible collapse is likely if you did that for the vast, vast majority of major corporations, government agencies, etc. A basic tier 1 help desk is there for a reason. You cannot seriously expect the average non-technical (and many technical!) end user to function without some dude to ask about resetting their password or fixing their printer. Whether that person is in-house or sitting in some Midwest call center is immaterial, but he/she should exist for any organization that isn't a mismanaged total joke. The self-service portal is there to complement the organization's help desk/overall IT infrastructure and make their job that much easier, not foolishly replace it and hope the company doesn't burn down in the process.

Just stop posting, Mirthless. You have no clue.

It's you, you're the person who is going to get surprise automated

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fullhouse posted:

I've worked in multiple helpdesks (have escaped that world, thank God) and have had to explain to multiple, as in more than 1, people how to enter web addresses into a browser and navigate to them

When?

The last few years have made a tremendous difference in overall proficiency. I haven't had to explain what an address bar is, how to connect to wi-fi, or walk somebody through setting up email on their phone more than a couple of times in two years. Most people can even figure out how to map a share drive at this point. If you give people easy enough to follow instructions, they and and often will do it themselves.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA :laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Congrats, Mirthless. You have officially posted The Wrongest Thing.

I guarantee you I am more experienced on this topic than you are

Inbound customer service at the retail level will never be automated (at least not completely, and for obvious reasons) but you're delusional if you think the days of companies spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a "let me google that for you..." department will continue for much longer

There are already thousands of unemployed desktop technicians who were completely blindsided by software push systems, don't be the dumb person who thinks their job is safe because people are "too dumb to figure out how to do it themselves"

edit:

TheScott2K posted:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Fullhouse posted:

these are university professors and people that manage e-commerce websites. they need help, because they are really bad at computers, but suddenly find that most of their job is on a computer
A handful of my comp sci professors didn't know the hotkeys for copy/paste

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

like six months ago dude

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I kind of sympathize with the one who was annoyed about a kid being in a bar, but then again she's only 20 so she can get the gently caress out too

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Enough about Mirthless, let's get down with some stone sold poo poo that seems like it didn't actually happen:

quote:

What would you do if your cheating Ex who insisted on a Catholic wedding, now were to ask you for an Catholic Annulment after the divorce..
submitted 5 years ago * by threwthewhoreaway
I divorced my Ex in February. We were married close to 8 years total, the last year of the marriage we were separated. I'm 42, she's 30.
About 5.5 years into it she asked me to look at her PC, it had been running slow. As I was cleaning things up, I found a video file that was too big to send through yahoo, and somehow tried to mail itself through outlook, which we never used. It turned out to be a video of her in our bedroom doing a striptease she tried to send to a guy she had met in an online game 1500 miles away. After I found the video I started digging. I found proof in pictures she had flew to spend over a week with him during the time she had told me she was vacationing with her girlfriends. There were also pictures of her in a 3 way with her girlfriend and her boyfriend and other things with other people. Plus emails with the guy she had flown to spend time with proclaiming love for each other etc.
I tossed her out, but she claimed it was over and a stupid mistake etc etc.. We got back together for about a year and a half but things were never the same, trust issues that I could never get over, and long story short we divorced.
I made copies of everything as soon as I found it, never told her about the mass amount of poo poo I had on her and just let things play out as they did. She is Catholic and I'm not, she and her family insisted on a Catholic wedding and as long as she was happy I didn't care about where we married. Her family played a huge role in the demise of our marriage, they were never happy with me because of our 11 year age difference. I was never welcomed into the family and was basically treated like poo poo. I was always faithful, kind, caring and a devoted husband and provider who didn't deserve the poo poo she did to me.
I agreed to give her about 4k in cash and whatever she wanted out of the house when she left, we had no children. But when her family tried to push her into milking me for all she could get (401k etc), I told her of the stack of proof I had and if she wanted to get more out of me be ready for a fight and everyone would know of her bullshit. Her family still thinks she was little miss perfect.
The divorce went fine, now 6 moths later I get annulment papers from the church, I found out she's planning to marry the guy she cheated on me with. She has her mother, aunt, the girl she had a 3 way with, and her other slut friend make statements against me in the petition for the annulment.
I'm really torn, part of me says gently caress her and the adulterous prick shes going to marry, they deserve each other. But another part of me says if she wants talk poo poo and blame the destruction of the marriage on me when she was a cheating whore, I'm making copies of everything and mailing that poo poo to every member of her family, friends, and church. Her family insisted on a church wedding and now she wants to act like those 8 years never existed.
Thanks for letting me vent. What would you do?
TL;DR Serial cheating Ex-Wife, denies her role in demise of the marriage to the church. Do I lay it out for all to see what really happened?
Update: Thanks for the advice all, I have a few days left to select which path I choose to take with the matter. The choices are 1) I will participate in the matter. 2) I do not wish to participate in the matter, but would like to know the outcome. 3) I prefer to have nothing to do with this matter.
The one thing that may sway me to just let it go is if I were to meet someone who would like to get married in a church. this process would be done with, if I agree and just let it slide. Thanks again, I'll follow up later.
Update 2: I'm 99% certain I'm going with choice 1) Participating in the matter.
They send you a questioner about the details of the marriage, I'll give all details, and all proof I have to the church only.
Update 3: Sending out the pics and detailed account of the marriage to the priest tomorrow. More updates to follow.

🎶Whaaaat would you doooo
If you found all my nudes
Would you get up and walk out on me?🎶

Also, the only reason I'm inclined to believe his perfect revenge wank fantasy is because his post history includes him asking for help at the photoshop subreddit. To crop the other guys dick from a picture. To send to the church people.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Mirthless posted:

8th largest pharmaceutical company in the world dropped their helpdesk down to less than 20 people after their self service portal went live. I saw it happen. We had user satisfaction go up.

You are underestimating your users. Hold their hands less and see what happens.

Haha, yeah right. I used to work for a major financial institution on their help desk for about a year and our users couldn't grasp such complex instructions such as "unplug your branch receipt printer". They would regularly unplug their own monitors, PCs, etc, even after multiple attempts at cleaner language. Don't even get me started on more complicated actions as "remove your laptop battery". The tier 1 team was about 20 and our call volume was still fairly huge. If my former employer decided to cut that down, the bank would've burst into flames and imploded within days. Yes, they could've very easily moved more automated tasks over to the self-service portal, but mostly/fully eliminating the help desk would have been hilariously catastrophic.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Fart

quote:

My wife’s sister [25F] keeps hitting on me [30M] but my wife [married 3 years, 28F] refuses to believe it’s happening or take it seriously. I don’t know how to stop this without causing a family incident since both my wife and her sister get mad whenever I try to set boundaries.

It would be nice to get a reality check for the sake of my own sanity. I’m starting to feel more and more like I’m either (a) crazy or (b) making too much out of this situation based on how my wife and her sister have been responding to me and my concerns, but my sister-in-law’s conduct just seems so inappropriate to me. Other people I have talked to (my friends) see it, but my wife keeps dismissing her sister’s behavior as being overly friendly, even though this is new behavior, or claims that I’m exaggerating things and misinterpreting her motives.

This seems to have started about 4 months ago not long after my wife gave birth to our son. Kara (sister-in-law) seemed to be very impressed by seeing me as a father, because she made a lot of comments early on about how attractive she thought it was to see a man caring for his child (changing diapers, playing with the baby, wearing the baby in a baby carrier, etc.).

A lot of these were general comments at first, so I didn’t give them a lot of thought. Gradually they became more focused on me, so instead of talking about dads in general it became “when you do X it’s really hot/attractive” or “I love to watch you rock him it's so hot.” Not so bad, but I feel like that was the point where a line started being crossed. The comments got more and more inappropriate (“my sister is lucky you knocked her up,” “I bet if we had a baby s/he would be cute too”), so I tried to deescalate things by not responding to her comments.

After that Kara started becoming more physical/doing some light touching whenever my wife would leave the room and we were alone. It would be something like a back rub or gentle rubbing of my arm. I was uncomfortable with this but still at the point where I didn’t want to offend her by aggressively telling her to leave me alone. I talked to my wife about it hoping that I could get her to speak to Kara, but she didn’t. She acted like she didn’t believe me; she didn’t take it seriously at all. It was like a joke to her.

Things continued to escalate even further after that to the point where Kara started trying to hug me, rub my inner thigh, or initiate any kind of physical contact. I started leaving the room with my wife at this point because Kara was being that aggressive.

I told my wife again that I felt like this was inappropriate and I was extremely uncomfortable. I asked her to talk with Kara to tell her she needed to stop, and my wife laughed it off again and told me I was making a mountain out of a molehill. I tried talking to Kara, but she pretty much pretended like she had no idea what I was talking about and told me I was being silly.

At this point she has continued to make attempts to initiate contact and has continued to escalated things to the point where no rational person could argue that her comments are appropriate. There’s no way in my mind that Kara making comments about my sex life or her sex life or asking me how a dress/jeans/shirt makes certain parts of her body look can be okay.

I am at the point where I try my best to avoid Kara, but when I do my wife gets upset with me for “being rude” to her sister by avoiding her because Kara complains. I don’t know how I’m supposed to win. If I stay around, then I feel like I’m being unfaithful to my wife and encouraging Kara. If I avoid her my wife gets upset with me for not being nice to her family.

I think what it the most upsetting thing about this situation is the fact that my wife doesn’t believe me even though it seems obvious to me what is going on. I don’t understand how my wife can be so blind to what Kara is doing. I’m also very disappointed that her response to my concerns and anxieties was to laugh at me and call me a liar. I wish she would take my side if for no other reason than because it would maybe help discourage Kara.

I’ve never had a problem with Kara in the past. I have known her for the past 8 years (ever since I started dating my wife). I don’t know what’s going on, but I wish she would stop acting so weird. I like her a lot as a family member, and I just want things to be normal again. I just don’t know how to do that when she refuses and my wife won’t help. What can I do? I’ve tried not to be the bad guy, but I’ve thought about trying a tougher approach. I just worry that it will backfire and I’ll come out looking like the bad guy.

tl;dr: It seems extremely obvious that my sister-in-law is hitting on me and possibly trying to initiate something but my wife has laughed at me and called me a liar. I've tried to avoid my sister-in-law, but all that has done is upset my wife and her sister both. They make me feel like I'm losing my mind because they both act like her behavior is normal. I don't know what to do when I can't get my sister-in-law to stop or my wife to believe me, and they both get mad when I try to avoid my sister-in-law!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fullhouse posted:

like six months ago dude

:shrug:

idk what to tell you but I haven't had to deal with those kind of people in corporate IT for a long time and I'm not supporting a particularly technical company with a particularly youthful and proficient set of employees. They're still out there, sure, but they are very much a minority of all users and if you encourage people to self-service a lot of the time their calls will be prevented by their neighbors already knowing what they need to do.

Self-service can be done wrong and be completely useless but when it's done right it can easily replace the majority of a helpdesk's workers. Password resets, account unlocks, software pushes and VPN troubleshooting can all be automated (trivially) and that is most of the helpdesk's work right there. The system we had at Pfizer was so extensive that it could generate new RSA tokens for users and reinstall the VPN client with a single click. Most of our call volume was VPN issues, those calls dried up overnight.

The VPN thing was a real kick in the teeth because it cost people jobs all the way up the chain. We lost helpdesk people, RSA engineers and security staff. We used to have a huge process for RSA token resets, they were audited nightly and we had multiple layers of access to minimize risk. When the self service portal became active, they just took that access away from people and canned the security auditors because they didn't need them anymore.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 7, 2017

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

In my town there's a bar called Barcadia. Basically a bar and an arcade mixed into one. It's got fun drinks like Princess Peach, Venasaur, Bo-Omb, ect. I go there for soda while my boyfriend drinks as I'm still a year under drinking age here. Either way, I thought it was a childfree haven

Haha this place is actually only visited by children

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

TheScott2K posted:

Oh, I don't work on help desk anymore for very good reason because it is horribly soul-crushing, dysfunctional, and lacking in job security, but I am well aware of its justified and enduring existence. You cannot automate the human component in help desk. Period. Maybe help desks will be fully staffed by AI in 2060, but that's well past the working lives (and living existence) for most people posting in this thread.

My current job is very secure, thanks though. :)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Burp

quote:

Me [22M] with my girlfriend [21F] of 7 months, found out she's a "furry" and in the fandom, got angry when I found out.

I was using my girlfriends laptop to research stuff, while she was out of the room. Nothing shady, no history diving or anything. It was a situation where the auto-fill came in and revealed that my girlfriend is a furry.

There were links to furry social networks, the furry subreddit, furry porn and artwork. I admit I did type in "furr" just to see if that was the case. Lots and lots of links popped up in the search bar. I backspaced and didn't know what to think, so I left it for a few hours.

When it was quiet and we were watching a movie, I asked her if she was a furry. She looked at me sideways with a frown and asked why. I felt bad, but I told her the truth and what I had found. She immediately got up, grabbed her stuff and left. I tried to stop her but she would not say a word to me. This was yesterday evening, still no communication.

I know what furries are, and I admit that I have been in situations where people are like "Haha, loving furries" and I have laughed. I don't know how long she's been a furry or why she didn't tell me ever. What do I do?

tl;dr: Gf is a furry and is looking at fursuits/talks with people in the fandom and has looked at the porn. She got really angry when I found out and won't speak to me. What do I do?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Sort of relevant.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/deal-breaker-couple-quits-22-year-marriage-over-husbands-trump-support/

quote:

ELECTIONS 2016, FACEBOOK, U.S. NEWS
‘Deal breaker’: Couple quits 22-year marriage over husband’s Trump support

REUTERS
07 FEB 2017 AT 06:39 ET
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Don't miss stories. Follow Raw Story!

Burning passions over Donald Trump’s presidency are taking a personal toll on both sides of the political divide. For Gayle McCormick, it is particularly wrenching: she has separated from her husband of 22 years.

The retired California prison guard, a self-described “Democrat leaning toward socialist,” was stunned when her husband casually mentioned during a lunch with friends last year that he planned to vote for Trump – a revelation she described as a “deal breaker.”

“It totally undid me that he could vote for Trump,” said McCormick, 73, who had not thought of leaving the conservative Republican before but felt “betrayed” by his support for Trump.

“I felt like I had been fooling myself,” she said. “It opened up areas between us I had not faced before. I realized how far I had gone in my life to accept things I would have never accepted when I was younger.”

Three months after the most divisive election in modern U.S. politics fractured families and upended relationships, a number of Americans say the emotional wounds are as raw as ever and show few signs of healing.

The rancor has not dissipated as it has in the aftermath of other recent contentious U.S. elections. A Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll shows it has worsened, suggesting a widening of the gulf between Republicans and Democrats and a hardening of ideological positions that sociologists and political scientists say increases distrust in government and will make political compromise more difficult.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll of 6,426 people, taken from Dec. 27 to Jan. 18, shows the number of respondents who argued with family and friends over politics jumped 6 percentage points from a pre-election poll at the height of the campaign in October, up to 39 percent from 33 percent. (See graphic: http://tmsnrt.rs/2jLSU36)

Sixteen percent said they have stopped talking to a family member or friend because of the election – up marginally from 15 percent. That edged higher, to 22 percent, among those who voted for Democrat Hillary Clinton. Overall, 13 percent of respondents said they had ended a relationship with a family member or close friend over the election, compared to 12 percent in October.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

I [25M] found my girlfriend [22F] found out my girlfriend is a stripper.

I've been dating a girl for three years. We have been long distance for most of it and she moved in with me recently. A few days after she moved in she told me she was a stripper and she had been doing it the whole time. She said she was surprised I didn't figure it out and she didn't tell me because she thought I wouldn't date her. I honestly didn't know and she told me she was babysitting.

I was really upset about it for a bit, but I told myself it was in the past and I would get over it. She just recently lost her job and is stripping again to pay bills and student loans. I told her I want her to do another job, but she doesn't want to. She says that this pays the most and she only works 5 hours a day. This lifestyle has also made her very irresponsible with money.

I have to lie to everyone about this my family, my friends, and even her family. She said her family would disown her if they ever found out. This makes me feel sick to my stomach. I hate lying.

I just find that I'm losing attraction to her over this and it makes me angry all the time. She says that all the other stripper's boyfriends are OK with it and she doesn't know why I have a problem. I learned this so far into the relationship that its made me have a lot of conflicted feelings and makes me resent her for lying to me for so long. I ultimately think we will break up.

Has anyone ever experienced this before and how did you handle it?

tl;dr: My girlfriend lied to me about stripping while we were dating for two years.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Does he actually care?
It's loving weird but I guess it could be worse? She could never shut the gently caress up about IT, for example

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Maw posted:

Haha this place is actually only visited by children

There's a place exactly like this around here called 16-Bit Arcade and it's packed to the gills with college students and 20-30-somethings every single Thursday-Sunday evening, so nope! Never underestimate the population of huge rear end nerds (and hipsters) in your area.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
there's nothing wrong with dating a stripper

there's plenty wrong with dating a person who only wants to work a few hours a day in a high paying job that gives them tons of access to drugs and sex and allows them to behave irresponsibly with money

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gaunab posted:

furry GF

Beats mine, barely. Girl I dated freely admitted to be a furry the night after our second date. In the car on the way to her house. I nearly drove it off a bridge

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Never underestimate the population of huge rear end nerds (and hipsters) in your area.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There's a place exactly like this around here called 16-Bit Arcade and it's packed to the gills with college students and 20-30-somethings every single Thursday-Sunday evening, so nope! Never underestimate the population of huge rear end nerds (and hipsters) in your area.

I dont see what the hate is, its just a more modern bowling alley now that like nobody under 45 bowls with any regularity.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
My [25M] Wife [22F] has severe anxiety, OCD and BPD. She cannot handle the thought of me masturbating while alone. What things can we do to work on it?

quote:

Been together a year, married for 2 months.

A little backstory about me. I'm a habitual masturbator. I didn't start masturbating until I was 20 because of how I was raised and since then have done it several times a day for years. Not only that, but because of my upbringing I have a peculiar fetish which is something that my wife can't fulfil which is also a part of the reason she has a hard time with it and why I even need to masturbate aside from it being habitual.

When we got married, even before, I cut my masturbation down to about once a week. It's something I struggle with because of my tendencies and how I lived my life in general before meeting my wife. Anyways, this isn't entirely about me and I've been trying to work on it for my wife and have been doing a relatively good job.

However I have lied a few times to my wife about not masturbating and then I end up telling her the truth, or rather I didn't mention it because she didn't ask (still lying). So now she has even more anxiety about me masturbating. We agreed I'm allowed to masturbate as long as I ask her first. During those times why I didn't ask her if I could is because I don't want to hurt her because I feel guilty asking her because it seems like she doesn't fulfill me enough. And also because I was unsure if she would approve me to masturbate or not.

She understands that masturbating is natural and is ok to do. She does it herself several times a day every other day. However she does not look at anything when she does. Simply out of preference because she's tried looking at porn and it doesn't really do anything for her.

The major things we have identified is that:

1. She does not like me doing it because it makes her feel inadequate.

2. She thinks the act of how a male masturbates is disgusting.

3. She thinks I will leave her because I like looking at other women and that they will fulfill me better.

With all that being said this causes her to have SEVERE anxiety. She's diagnosed with that and BPD (borderline personality disorder). This has already made her cut before, just once because she walked in on me doing it. We've been to the psych hospital for unrelated things before and we can't afford therapy for this and she doesn't want to go to therapy anyways because she doesn't think it will help. She is afraid to work her job too because she feels like she needs to be around me 24/7 when I'm not at work so she can make sure I don't masturbate.

1. How can I help my wife to trust me that I won't masturbate without her permission.

2. How can we help her be more relieved when I actually -do- masturbate. (this is obviously not a priority for me. I cut down from a minimum of 2 times a day up to several before I met her. But I'm human and have urges that come from a not so perfect background)

3. How can we handle the anxiety of when she does think about me masturbating.

Everything else in our relationship is amazing, so I don't need comments or remarks about where we might falter in other areas or how other areas could be a problem (like getting married after a year) I am specifically asking about this masturbation issue. And even if I decided to never masturbate again, this is still an issue that needs to be addressed because in general it's not good to think this way. As she has other mental health problems that we continue to address and work on and are doing well with them we just don't know how to handle this one. She sat here and helped type this up with me.
tl;dr: I'm a habitual masturbator that's cut down a lot but my wife has severe mental health problems that causes the mere thought of me doing it to be a problem. How can we work on it for it to be more comfortable with her.

Thanks all!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

I dont see what the hate is, its just a more modern bowling alley now that like nobody under 45 bowls with any regularity.

barcades typically place more emphasis on the bar then the arcade - really it's just a bar with retro gaming poo poo to attract millenial nerds

so on the one hand, these parents were basically taking a 12 year old to a bar and expecting the games to babysit the kid - not unprecedented, but definitely bad parenting behavior

on the other hand the person complaining was also basically a child, so

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

My [25M] Wife [22F] has severe anxiety, OCD and BPD. She cannot handle the thought of me masturbating while alone. What things can we do to work on it?

Borderline and OCD are on their own nearly impossible to deal with in the context of romantic relationships, I cannot loving imagine what it must be like to date somebody with both

:sever: and run for the loving hills dude

Edit: oh gently caress they're married :negative: whhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Edit2: what do you guys think the fetish is maybe it's what made her crazy. There are some things Man was not meant to know!

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 7, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mirthless posted:

I guarantee you I am more experienced on this topic than you are

Inbound customer service at the retail level will never be automated (at least not completely, and for obvious reasons) but you're delusional if you think the days of companies spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a "let me google that for you..." department will continue for much longer
I work at a major Autodesk VAR, I guarantee you have no loving clue what you're on about. We just hire two more people for our help desk because we get so many calls a day for basic poo poo like "how do I change my text color" and "how do I change my scale from feet to meters". At least half of our calls are basic lmgtfy questions and you're an idiot if you think that people are ever going to stop wanting a person to tell them things at any level. Most people only vaguely know what question they want/need to ask and you think that in the next 20 years people are just going to magically figure out how to operate a search engine effectively?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Pretty sure this thirsty, desperate loser fits perfectly in this thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soloish/wp/2017/02/06/single-men-are-having-less-sex-than-you-think/

quote:

Single men are not having anywhere near the amount of sex, normal or otherwise, you think they are. For every Ryan Gosling in “Crazy Stupid Love,” there are scores more of us that are going home from the bar alone. Whose unique opening lines on Tinder are fired into a seeming abyss without so much as an echo. Whose conversations with women at gyms post-workout lead to a response of (and this is a direct quote from a recent Tuesday morning): “I’m in a weird place right now.”

This is not a plea for sympathy — as a white male, I know I am one of the least sympathetic demographics. Rather, this is a window to understanding. Sex, for the single man, is akin to the Netflix “Arrested Development” reboot: eagerly anticipated, disappointing in execution, and only a reminder of how good it used to be.

In July, just after moving to Nashville — itself the continuation of a five-month dry spell — I was assigned to review BangFit, a sex-as-workout program created by PornHub, for a national magazine’s website. I was single at the time, but as an intrepid freelance writer and general sex- and fitness-enthusiast, I believed this wouldn’t pose too much of a challenge.

It was.

Without social connections and dreading the long game required by the bar scene, I figured I’d need to cast the widest net possible, and nothing says “all fish welcome” quite like Tinder. In a succinct bio, I laid out my plight: tall, fit man seeking partner to engage in protected sex while being coached by cartoon figures on a laptop and wearing Fitbits. Oh, and I’d write about it. “Pseudonyms OK.”

The only woman that I met for this, unsurprisingly or not, hadn’t read my carefully worded want ad (the modern version of proof that no one reads Playboy for the articles). The look on this woman’s face after I asked her to look it up in the coffee shop was akin to what haunted house patrons must see.

I never wrote that story because I couldn’t get someone to have even normal sex with me before deadline.

My brother-in-law and I talk about the sex I’m having — or, rather, not having — sometimes. I’ll regale him with stories of the single life that must be terribly underwhelming. A few dates with a woman who just got out of a four-year relationship, or another whose ex really did a number on her and she’s not really in a place to commit. Or a second-year law student I see once a week at the movies.

I’ll talk to my younger brother, and he’ll advise from his perch of a committed relationship that maybe instead of going out on dates with the 2L, I should just ask her to be exclusive because the solidity of a relationship will provide clarity — and, ostensibly, lead to sex — instead of this going-to-the-movies-on-Sunday-nights thing we’re currently locked into.

As I get older, the more I ache for the right person, for sex and more. But sex is similar to dating, I think: It’s easy to sleep with or date the wrong person, but much harder to sleep with or date the right one. And just like with relationships, the downsides of sex with the wrong person make abstinence almost appealing.

Part of this push-pull, I’m betting also for other men, is the creeping terror of catching a sexually transmitted disease. I get a literal ache in my scrotum at the thought. STDs are today what D.A.R.E. drugs were to me in middle school: seemingly lurking around every corner, ready to pounce and able to maim for life.

Did you know the average STD screening doesn’t test for HPV? No one wants a main dish of true love with a side of cervical cancer. There were 1.5 million cases of chlamydia reported in 2015 according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Gonorrhea and syphilis, while both rarer than the clap, experienced double-digit percentage growth.

Then there’s the chance of an unwanted pregnancy, which, as far as I can surmise, ends in either a Ben Folds Five “Brick” situation or a disaffected teen who shops at Hot Topic.

I’ve managed to make it this far as a single guy without an STD or without child support. It is now a game of Russian roulette to not pick the wrong person, even as the desire to feel someone’s touch causes me to toss and turn in bed.

So what does one do in the interim?

Well, I masturbate a lot, if you really want to know. Single guys are doing it way more than you might believe possible, if that is possible. Doing it seems to help, as not — by my own trial-and-error — can lead to embarrassing texts of the “U up” type. I do CrossFit and play volleyball (a lot and a lot).

The hope of having sex more often than biannually has led me to ask out every woman that I am attracted to. Sometimes I’ll boomerang back after passing a woman on shop bench and, respectfully, say, “Excuse me, I don’t normally do this,” et cetera, because by the time you hit your 30s there is no lasting embarrassment at being shot down.

Why yes, I love the sexual marketplace. :awesomelon:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

did yall see the childfree sadsacks and decide to one-up their awful lives with bragging about working helpdesk

the comments are, predictably, golden

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

I work at a major Autodesk VAR, I guarantee you have no loving clue what you're on about. We just hire two more people for our help desk because we get so many calls a day for basic poo poo like "how do I change my text color" and "how do I change my scale from feet to meters". At least half of our calls are basic lmgtfy questions and you're an idiot if you think that people are ever going to stop wanting a person to tell them things at any level. Most people only vaguely know what question they want/need to ask and you think that in the next 20 years people are just going to magically figure out how to operate a search engine effectively?

You work at a how to help desk and that describes like 5 or 10% of the corporate IT job market. Most companies don't hire help desk people to teach the accountants who put excel on their resume how to do excel, they just fire those people for not knowing how to do what they were hired for.

There will always be help desk jobs, but the days of huge it departments for non tech companies are coming to an end.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 7, 2017

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Mirthless posted:

Edit: oh gently caress they're married :negative: whhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Been together for a year, married for two months, hooooooooo boy

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Pretty sure this thirsty, desperate loser fits perfectly in this thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soloish/wp/2017/02/06/single-men-are-having-less-sex-than-you-think/

Why yes, I love the sexual marketplace. :awesomelon:

Jesus Christ, just sleep with fat chicks until you get your confidence back if you're having so much trouble.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mirthless posted:

most businesses could replace their entire IT helpdesk tomorrow with a self-service portal and people would stop complaining about it within a week.
This is by far the dumbest thing you've said yet

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
r/legaladvice

quote:

Previous employer calling all new employers about criminal history

My wife worked at a company and embezzled money (shame on her). That employer has continued to call all new employers to tell them about it which has made a negative impact and a neutral one for certain employment. She has been charged but has never been to court yet for it. Yes what she did was wrong and she knows how ignorant she was but she also made a mistake and will take the punishment but needs employment. No idea how the previous employer is finding out who she works for. Is there any legal standing to attempt to stop the previous employer from continuing this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yawgmoth posted:

My ex-wife used to teach doctors how to use medical reference searches, and many of her $400K+/yr students had to be taught how to scroll a web page.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

I laid out my plight: tall, fit man seeking partner to engage in protected sex while being coached by cartoon figures on a laptop and wearing Fitbits.

Gee I wonder why no one wanted to gently caress him.

I feel like it is so stupid easy to get laid that I really have to wonder. I don't think I'm particularly attractive or anything either, just average basically. Just like... don't be an idiot idk. Granted I've been in a relationship for a few years so maybe it's different now that I'm 27 vs 22 but I kinda doubt it.

Yeah no poo poo people don't want to get hit on at the gym, moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

hey FYI my copy of MAX 9 won't work on Windows 8 and none of my plugins work on the newer versions, I want my money back