Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

West Wind is running a project for some mechs for their weird war 2 game Secrets of the Third Reich. Looks like they're doing it piecemeal after the project to do the whole 2nd edition at once didn't take off as well as they needed it to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

Oh wow, it's just so weird how all of these things get staggered so steadily, isn't it? Any bets on what's next after his cold goes away?

Is anyone giving him grief about sending out the plaintext again? (There is no plaintext, so it will not be sent out.)

It looks like everyone's dropped it since he acknowledged that he had said he would but then didn't do it, and didn't announce why until (about a month later) someone bugged him on Twitter and all he had to say was basically :shrug:

Meanwhile, it looks like the KS comments are mostly split between "gently caress you, Skarka" and "I wouldn't use that kind of language, but I am disappointed."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr.Misfit posted:

In theory, at least according to its writer, its constantly at "almost done, only THIS little tidbit is missing!" wich we can translate to 0.99.
Therefore the timespan since the end of the Kickstarter campaign amounts to 0.99 FAR WESTs. This means that we have a recognizable, if somewhat unstable length of time with which we can measure other Kickstarters. Of course, anything that goes beyond 0.1 is bad, anything that actually released is unusable since it exceeds the scale due to being never =1 (Since the max amount of FAR WEST that can exist is 0.99) etc....

But its not useless ;)
Silly perhaps.

GMS is performing a public service, he's resolving Zeno's Paradox.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jedit posted:

GMS is performing a public service, he's resolving Zeno's Paradox.

He's not there yet, but he's juuuust about resolved it. Any day now, honestly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So this looks pretty sweet. I've seen these hex tiles before and they're gorgeous; now they're trying to make a stand-alone app for making the maps instead of making them tiles to use in something like GIMP.

Also:

quote:

There are no stretch goals. We don't want to release Hex Kit as anything less than 100%. To avoid feature bloat, run a smooth campaign, and deliver the product on time, we've decided to keep our scope narrow. That being said, the more money this campaign raises, the more hex tiles I will make!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Monkey, the Journey to the West RPG, has about a day to go. It's fully funded and a decent amount of stretch goals hit.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/645319106/monkey-the-roleplaying-game-of-the-journey-to-the/description

I like the art I've seen so far...

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 8, 2017

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

That Old Tree posted:

It looks like everyone's dropped it since he acknowledged that he had said he would but then didn't do it, and didn't announce why until (about a month later) someone bugged him on Twitter and all he had to say was basically :shrug:

Meanwhile, it looks like the KS comments are mostly split between "gently caress you, Skarka" and "I wouldn't use that kind of language, but I am disappointed."

Well, it was a little more goofy than just :shrug: He claimed some backer had totally promised to revenge-pirate the document if he sent it out, because of course THAT was going to be the thing that would ruin Far West.

Also, according to backers around here, he had already sent out plaintext a while back for everything except this apparently endlessly needy "last chapter", so there's that.

Wasn't there someone talking about essentially writing their own "not-Far West" just for the amusement of having it come out before FW did?

Serf
May 5, 2011

I got my copy of Noisy Person Cards today. The stuff is all pretty high-quality and it looks like it will be a blast to play. My only complaint is that the box it comes in is a little too small so the cards just barely fit in there. Getting them in and out is a little annoying. Otherwise I love it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

I got my copy of Noisy Person Cards today. The stuff is all pretty high-quality and it looks like it will be a blast to play. My only complaint is that the box it comes in is a little too small so the cards just barely fit in there. Getting them in and out is a little annoying. Otherwise I love it.

Is it noisy? :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Arivia posted:

Is it noisy? :v:

They're for noisy people, gosh.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gmskarka/status/830119654970490884

:lol:

Serf
May 5, 2011

GMS in 2021: I dunno what to tell you folks, I've locked myself out of the house for the 8th time and my keys are in a different state. The last chapter is done and I just need to upload it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This sounds like some sort of reverse Final Destination situation.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Kickstarter people experience more critical computer failures each year than I think I've had in my entire life.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kellsterik posted:

Kickstarter people experience more critical computer failures each year than I think I've had in my entire life.
Yeah, I still somehow have papers I wrote in high school, over 20 years ago. It's a mystery.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, maybe I should start a Promise-Everything-Give-Nothing Kickstarter! I have the requirements trifecta-

1. crappy PC that freezes a lot
2. get sick a lot because of depression
3. depression

I just gotta decide if I'll quietly disappear into the backalleys of the internet, or meltdown spectacularly first.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I lost my work on Savage Thunderscape when my laptop was stolen. However, 1) I was able to reproduce it fairly quickly, since I could remember what I'd written, and 2) it got me to start backing up my files (and doing version control) to stop it happening again.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Wyrd announced that The Other Side pledge manager will be launching next week, and there will be late pledges available:

Retailer - Will remain the same
Champion - Now $100
Commander - Now $175
Dual Commander - Now $315
Tyrant - Now $515

That's $1 increase for Champion, and then $15 increase for the following three tiers.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Wasn't Tyrant tier $400?

EDIT: just checked, I was wrong!

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kellsterik posted:

My hard drive legit did die on me while I was putting together Strike! Luckily I was technical enough to be able to overcome the fact that booting with it connected or even mounting it after boot would result in a BSOD by booting to Linux from a disc instead and mounting it then. So it only cost me a day or two. But if I hadn't been able to rescue it, that would've been about a week of recovering everything.

Also, I have a job where I get sick all the time. Apparently "hmm, I have the flu, but now is the time to go in for math help" is a common thought. Plus, I have 3 kids and so I get everything that's going around school.

And yet, Strike! delivered just a little late and I didn't need to make 5 years of excuses.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

My hard drive legit did die on me while I was putting together Strike! Luckily I was technical enough to be able to overcome the fact that booting with it connected or even mounting it after boot would result in a BSOD by booting to Linux from a disc instead and mounting it then. So it only cost me a day or two. But if I hadn't been able to rescue it, that would've been about a week of recovering everything.

Also, I have a job where I get sick all the time. Apparently "hmm, I have the flu, but now is the time to go in for math help" is a common thought. Plus, I have 3 kids and so I get everything that's going around school.

And yet, Strike! delivered just a little late and I didn't need to make 5 years of excuses.

Also, your game is good, which is probably more than could be said of Far West were it to ever be released.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anyone here who's even (still) pledged to Far West?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Not me but I'm sure there's at least one person here who's riding that train all the way to the station, no matter how far away it is.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I didn't ask for my :10bux: back, but at this point, I kind of want to see how bad it is if it ever comes out. Also, I imagine it'll take more work and time than the 10 dollars is worth.

Plus, I imagine GMS' sick-having is gonna make getting refunds harder to send out and etc etc.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean...I didn't back it (I wasn't really aware of KS back then even if I'd wanted to), but I will theoretically get a copy as part of having backed the also oft delayed Alas Vegas. Except, you know, Alas Vegas is out (at least in PDF) and awesome, and Far West is Far West.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm still in for $10, but GMS isn't doing full refunds for anyone unless you go through legal channels. Otherwise all he'll do is knock you down to the minimum $10 pledge because something something bookkeeping.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

malkav11 posted:

I mean...I didn't back it (I wasn't really aware of KS back then even if I'd wanted to), but I will theoretically get a copy as part of having backed the also oft delayed Alas Vegas. Except, you know, Alas Vegas is out (at least in PDF) and awesome, and Far West is Far West.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Since it's 2017 and people still are still posting about Far West every couple weeks I'm thinking about making a thread for discussing Kickstarter trainwrecks. Not sure how well it would og though. :v:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think it'd end up being a lot of "Oh wow look at this game promising 30 classes and 2 dozen races, no alignment to restrict you and a realistic combat system because the creator has only played AD&D 1st for the last 30 years and never looked at other games before trying to kickstart his houserules"

And there's only so many of those each week.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

unseenlibrarian posted:

I think it'd end up being a lot of "Oh wow look at this game promising 30 classes and 2 dozen races, no alignment to restrict you and a realistic combat system because the creator has only played AD&D 1st for the last 30 years and never looked at other games before trying to kickstart his houserules"

And there's only so many of those each week.

I briefly toyed with the idea of making a fake heartbreaker where it looked like that from the description, but was actually a storygame. Decided not to do it, as it was too much effort for a joke.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'm not sure how many actual TG trainwrecks there are to talk about. Far West is the only big one I can think of that's still going on. Admittedly I'm not counting "amazingly dumb rules system" or "obviously only ever played some version of D&D" as trainwrecks on their own.

And for amazingly bad projects themselves there's always the Awful Kickstarters thread in PYF.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't think the subject is vital enough to sustain its own thread. If hearing about Far West every couple of weeks is that grating, just put a moratorium on it until it comes out, i.e., forever and in perpetuity ban all mentions of Skarka's Shame.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

senrath posted:

I'm not sure how many actual TG trainwrecks there are to talk about. Far West is the only big one I can think of that's still going on. Admittedly I'm not counting "amazingly dumb rules system" or "obviously only ever played some version of D&D" as trainwrecks on their own.

And for amazingly bad projects themselves there's always the Awful Kickstarters thread in PYF.

Yeah, there aren't enough TG Kickstarter trainwrecks to sustain a thread, the Far West trainwreck posts belong in this one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A quick browse on KS right now reveals these gems:

Stop, Collaborate, and Listen - an inane card game about asking your friends dull questions.

Chardonnay Go - does your mother like getting drunk on wine? This is the game for her!

The Great Wall of Mexico - jesus gently caress

Sing What? - the details about what this is are so slim, I have no clue.

Legado - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So Cold Shadows is doing pretty well. What does everyone think of it? I don't know if I think that a espionage game with all the characters having control of the narrative would work. Wouldn't an overarching conspiracy be impossible, and nonplayer characters have problems with having consistent motivations?

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 13, 2017

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So Cold Shadows is doing pretty well. What does everyone think of it? I don't know if I think that a espionage game with all the characters having control of the narrative would work. Wouldn't an overarching conspiracy be impossible, and characters have no problems with having consistent motivations?

I'm pretty sure it just means that you extend the amount of control that a player gets on a success of a die roll. It says in the description that the narrator still controls all the NPCs and the overarching story. It's the fun of the use of Narrative Roleplaying in the sense that it's a broad stroke to just mean "some level of player agency built in to the game". It'd be nice if they released the draft ahead of time, though.

I might just let other people play the guinea pig on this one, but above's my expectations based on what they wrote.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hmm, Gamelyn's (the guys who were doing all the Tiny Epic games) Heroes of Land, Sea, and Air kickstarter was cancelled after hitting 250% of the "goal."

It seems like they ran afoul of the "Setting your real funding goal well into the stretch goals" problem. And the "trying to convert people who've backed $20 games into backing your new $150 game not working out so well" problem.

There also might have been some kind of Kickstarter glitch? I am really not sure, on this one.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

dwarf74 posted:

Hmm, Gamelyn's (the guys who were doing all the Tiny Epic games) Heroes of Land, Sea, and Air kickstarter was cancelled after hitting 250% of the "goal."

It seems like they ran afoul of the "Setting your real funding goal well into the stretch goals" problem. And the "trying to convert people who've backed $20 games into backing your new $150 game not working out so well" problem.

There also might have been some kind of Kickstarter glitch? I am really not sure, on this one.
I like the affordable "Tiny Epic" games, but that Heroes of Land/Sea/Air thing was just wayyyyy overpriced and unappealing at that kind of commitment.

EDIT: Here's their statement, they're going to relaunch in May for a cheaper price:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/heroes-of-land-air-and-sea-featuring-pre-painted-m-0/posts/1800144

The funny thing is I think they already cancelled their first launch because the prices were too high. So this, I believe, is the second time they're lowering the prices. I dunno, unless it's around mayyyybe $70, it just seems way too high.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 13, 2017

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Their first launch was canceled because of a mistake with shipping prices. They added a standed option because of price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Anchor Baby is a card they're advertising.

Also the creators are unemployable trash bouncing around their family and friends.

This is not surprising at all.