Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, I don't think he got great ever, but Insidious and The Conjuring are pretty good.

meh, I guess his stuff is just more my poo poo than it is yours and that's totally fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I had it kind of sideways. In a bad economy, supposedly, vampire movies take off. In a good economy, hordes of unwashed zombies come to take everything away.

http://www.bigissue.com/features/3188/when-recession-bites

Definitely NOT saying Republicans are good for thee economy.

Edit: Also, yeah, it doesn't work perfectly or anything.

I remember a review of DotD that the first 10 minutes felt cathartic following 9/11, like it felt the other shoe dropping and watching everything fall apart. Meanwhile, with 28 Days Later, the shots of abandoned London and the billboard posted with missing people and contact numbers were remenscient of the aftermath of WTC collapse, despite being entirely coincidence (28 Days Later filmed months before 9/11).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean it's not a bad movie but its aesthetic is already really really dated and it pretty much lives and dies on said aesthetic

Eh, I think there's a difference between being noticeably of a time, as 300 is, and having aged badly. And the action is still fantastic.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Leavemywife posted:

Where do you guys get your movie news?

Hollywood Reporter and Deadline are the only real games left in town, sometimes AVClub or The Wrap but usually not. Browsing r/movies will generally be up to date, but there is a lot of clickbait or people linking to a random youtube clip of a film from 10 years ago. I follow enough movie people on Twitter (fans and actors/directors more than reporters) that they are usually talking about news before the bigger sites have copy/pasted it from whoever first reported it and it's probably the most consistent way to get new news. Other B movie stuff is from all over the place including directly from the people making the films, though I've been too busy the past 1 1/2 years to keep up with that as much as I like.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Femur posted:

This is crazy, I had no idea that they made a group named similar to a real group to legitimize themselves so brazenly. It's amazing hollywood is seen as progressive. wow.

Do people see Hollywood as progressive? Actual progressives I know world laugh at the notion. Personally, I see Hollywood as a collection of high risk venture capitalist who incidentally make movies.

Sony got into the business solely to gain a monopoly with bluray.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Neo Rasa posted:

The Raid: Redemption, Dredd, and Mad Max: Fury Road were all delivered under the Obama administration so I can't believe anyone would say that with a straight face.

The Raid is indonesian and Mad Max is Australian and filmed in Africa, they don't really count.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Do people see Hollywood as progressive? Actual progressives I know world laugh at the notion. Personally, I see Hollywood as a collection of high risk venture capitalist who incidentally make movies.

Their unions are strong

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A lot of the actors, writers, directors and such are progressive. The people actually running the show aren't.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

A lot of the actors, writers, directors and such are progressive. The people actually running the show aren't.

Yeah, the people with power are super conservative but every once in a while a movie comes out where a homosexual isn't demonic or a black person isn't a violent thug so hollywood obviously has a liberal bias.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You also get odd cases who are just progressive because it's hip in the circles they run in. There's nothing progressive about Lena Dunham but that's the image she's chosen for herself. You could make a pretty effective Al Qaeda recruitment film out of following her around and documenting her privileged lifestyle.

See also: People who see John Lennon as hippie Jesus. A rich rear end in a top hat who beat both his wives, was a deadbeat father, and only participated in any sort of activism when it enhanced his image.

See also also: Apple's progressive image, and beatification of absolute rear end in a top hat Steve Jobs. When Jobs returned to the company in 1997 he cancelled all corporate charitable giving. But boy do those commercials make you feel like you're making a difference.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

People like Dunham or Lennon are/were progressive in some areas, but not in others. Much like Hollywood, really.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

People like Dunham or Lennon are/were progressive in some areas, but not in others. Much like Hollywood, really.
Yeah, mainly in lip service.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Thundercracker posted:

You should read up on the AHA. They are full on shills for Hollywood. A bunch of animals died making Lord of the Rings and they claimed it wasn't animal abuse.
I had to look this up because I didn't want to believe that Viggo Mortensen would allow an animal to get harmed on set without actually physically assaulting someone and was relieved to discover that it wasn't Lord of the Rings; it was The Hobbit and that's just one more reason to hate those awful, awful movies.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thank you for looking that up and setting me free.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shageletic posted:

Their unions are strong

Among the strongest in the nation, in fact, maybe owing to the fact that their activity is so visible.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Among the strongest in the nation, in fact, maybe owing to the fact that their activity is so visible.

It's funny to think that Ronald Reagan and Charlton Heston were both president of one of the most prominent unions in the country.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny to think that Ronald Reagan and Charlton Heston were both president of one of the most prominent unions in the country.

It sort of makes sense considering acting is one of the most FYGM industries there is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

It put Reagan in a great position to snitch so that's not too surprising.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The only jobs in America that still have decent unions are the entertainment industry and cops. The latter because they have guns and are quite literally the law so busting their unions is a bit tricky.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The only jobs in America that still have decent unions are the entertainment industry and cops. The latter because they have guns and are quite literally the law so busting their unions is a bit tricky.

That's okay we don't want unions in this country. They're all awful organizations just out to pad their wallets by taking my money and giving me nothing back.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

FreudianSlippers posted:

And more importantly, because they support republicans.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is the second time I've talked about Air Traffic Control today. Their unions are great and wildly necessary.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

kiimo posted:

This is the second time I've talked about Air Traffic Control today. Their unions are great and wildly necessary.

Saint reagan didnt think so.

Piss
On
Reagan's
Grave

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

kiimo posted:

i mean
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Air_Traffic_Controllers_Organization_(1968)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Casimir Radon posted:

You also get odd cases who are just progressive because it's hip in the circles they run in. There's nothing progressive about Lena Dunham but that's the image she's chosen for herself. You could make a pretty effective Al Qaeda recruitment film out of following her around and documenting her privileged lifestyle.

See also: People who see John Lennon as hippie Jesus. A rich rear end in a top hat who beat both his wives, was a deadbeat father, and only participated in any sort of activism when it enhanced his image.

See also also: Apple's progressive image, and beatification of absolute rear end in a top hat Steve Jobs. When Jobs returned to the company in 1997 he cancelled all corporate charitable giving. But boy do those commercials make you feel like you're making a difference.

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-always-gets-little-rush-out-telling-people-joh-53190

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I think nobody would deny Jobs was an rear end in a top hat and that's part of the reason of his success. And I haven't seen any Apple ads promoting charities or anything like that? The only difference making they promote is making your life cooler and easier by using iphones to take cool photos

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Think Different feat Gandhi

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Admittedly it is fun throwing it out there to shut up dumb hippies.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Think Different feat Gandhi
And Cesar Chavez. Extremely ironic given the labor condition at Foxconn. Also, Jackie Robinson. They were going to have the 14th Dalai Lama on one but backed off. They did feature John and Yoko on another, bringing it full circle.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 8, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah, mainly in lip service.

My point is that the term 'progressive' is already a simplification when applied to a single person because most people's beliefs don't align on a single axis. Hollywood is a huge and comparatively diverse industry, which makes trying to find a cohesive viewpoint something of a fool's exercise. It tends to be seen as progressive because that's the aspect both its supporters and detractors focus on.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Just one more reason McCartney is better. You know, aside from the songs and the personalities and the "not getting shot".

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

So Jack Nicholson and Kristen Wiig have been cast in the American remake of Toni Erdmann, which I can already tell you will be inferior to the original because there's no way they are keeping it a 3 hour film and preserve the minutiae of the protagonists' work life, let alone the considerable full frontal nudity.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cacator posted:

So Jack Nicholson and Kristen Wiig have been cast in the American remake of Toni Erdmann, which I can already tell you will be inferior to the original because there's no way they are keeping it a 3 hour film and preserve the minutiae of the protagonists' work life, let alone the considerable full frontal nudity.

Also because Jack Nicholson hasn't been good in a movie for over a decade.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd pay money to see Nicholson's wizened old whiskey dong.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'd pay money to see Nicholson's wizened old whiskey dong.

New thread title

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

DC Murderverse posted:

Also because Jack Nicholson hasn't been good in a movie for over a decade.

Well he hasn't been in any movies in like 8 years so really that's only 2 years of bad movie

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Cacator posted:

I'll be honest, half the movie felt like a slog, and you could've easily cut 40 minutes from it. No way they'll manage to top the two magnificent scenes that cap the picture, though.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Man, that's nothing; Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss) had an affair while his wife (who also wrote children's books) was dying of cancer. She committed suicide when she found out. When you hear about his widow, that's his mistress, who he married less than a year afterwards. Incidentally, she was also married at the time of the affair.

:smuggo:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

Uh, sure, Sony bought a film studio in 1989 solely to monopolize high definition home video formats seventeen years later.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Ninjago Ninjago Ninjago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZSYYiATFTI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A movie is coming direct to video that features Ice T as a vampire bootlegger in the 1920s, that alone sounds awesome and then they went and released this ridiculous poster!

• Locked thread