Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

did you know. the super fami and snes version of super metroid are identical. you can toggle between 日本語/english in either one. those days are gone

Not true of the EU version though since it ran 15% slower as always and had French and German subtitles for the opening added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1dQwnY5Y9Y
help, my ears are dead

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nioh is okay so far. It's like a less bad Lords of the Fallen. I should not have bought it for 60 bucks but I am enjoying myself.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Grey Fox was a loving dour-rear end character

jack was a child soldier whose wife leaves him after he becomes an alcoholic

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sakurazuka posted:

Not true of the EU version though since it ran 15% slower as always and had French and German subtitles for the opening added.

a moment of silence for european gamers, who have to deal with being gamers in europe 😩

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know why my PS4 always needs 25+GB of space before it'll let me download like a 50mb update

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
For those who read the Thermidor thread, it's now in the goldmine. I urge you to look at the image in either the first or last post because the original op got into a thread closing war with Palpek and I and it was quite special. :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

VideoGames posted:

For those who read the Thermidor thread, it's now in the goldmine. I urge you to look at the image in either the first or last post because the original op got into a thread closing war with Palpek and I and it was quite special. :D

My god, it's beautiful

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know why my PS4 always needs 25+GB of space before it'll let me download like a 50mb update

It always tries to keep that space free, presumably for updates and stuff

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VideoGames posted:

Holy moly, I don't even understand those long sequences of them closing and reopening the thread themselves.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Verdict on nioh after 4-ish hours: Eh, it's okay. I don't really see where the praise it got in reviews is coming from, imo it's not hard in the fun way where the difficulty comes from enemy and area design. The damage between you and enemies is really imbalanced- standard enemy types are pretty easy even if they can stun lock you to death in one combo, and big enemy types and bosses are way overpowered and can kill you in two hits. There's no compromise. The combat is fun though, the multiple stance thing is a cool idea.

If I can get through the spiders I'll probably finish it. I regret buying it for 60 bucks.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Please play demos or at least watch an average-level schmuck stream before you drop 60 united states dollars on video games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I played each of the public betas and they were much easier and more balanced than this. When I said this:

CJacobs posted:

I would say that's not the unlikeliest explanation because that was the case with Dark Souls 2 for sure. There is precedent for hard-rear end games having slightly-less-hard-rear end demos.

edit; rewording

I did not expect to be so on the money.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Most people are finding retail release way easier than the demos, myself included

edit: for example the Usuki level had 90% of the ambushes removed

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 8, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't know who to believe!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lakbay posted:

Most people are finding retail release way easier than the demos, myself included

I'm happy for you, but boy do I disagree that that's the case. As the gap between the difficulty of the designated "easy" mobs and "hard" mobs grows the more I play, the less I like the game.

edit: Either way, the real lesson here is not "don't buy a game for 60 dollars without checking it out first", the real lesson is "don't buy a game for 60 dollars ever under any circumstances"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 8, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to spend 60 dollars on Nier

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lots of games are worth 60 dollars imo

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Just watching some guy theorycraft after finishing the game, it's clear there are some builds that loving destroy the difficulty curve

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm going to spend £40-ish each on Nier, Zelda and Atelier in the next few weeks

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Lots of games are worth 60 dollars imo

Why would you ever buy a game for anything besides the cheapest price you can find it for?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

I'm going to spend 60 dollars on Nier

Me too, unless I find it cheaper by the time I finish Zelda

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Why would you ever buy a game for anything besides the cheapest price you can find it for?

Because there are some games I want to play as soon as they come out

And Nintendo games basically never go on sale

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Because there are some games I want to play as soon as they come out

And Nintendo games basically never go on sale

Granted, that is the reason I bought Nioh for 60 dollars, so fair enough. I am definitely not making this mistake again though!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CJacobs posted:

Verdict on nioh after 4-ish hours: Eh, it's okay. I don't really see where the praise it got in reviews is coming from, imo it's not hard in the fun way where the difficulty comes from enemy and area design. The damage between you and enemies is really imbalanced- standard enemy types are pretty easy even if they can stun lock you to death in one combo, and big enemy types and bosses are way overpowered and can kill you in two hits. There's no compromise. The combat is fun though, the multiple stance thing is a cool idea.

If I can get through the spiders I'll probably finish it. I regret buying it for 60 bucks.

I think there' more Ninja Gaiden in the formula than you were expecting. It also requires re-thinking how you approach combat, as Bloodborne has probably left you with some habits that don't jive here. Since there were three trial periods it's been possible for some people to practice Nioh's fighting style before being thrown into the game, which makes the learning curve a lot smoother. Your verdict reads almost exactly like someone who plays a Souls game for the first time: enemies are too hard and I die too often.

Here are some things to consider if you haven't already: Your equipped weight effects your Ki recovery and how much Ki is used when blocking. If you are wearing light armor, you want to be more evasive, and if you are wearing heavy armor, you can afford to block heavy attacks without getting stunned. Use your stones to single out enemies, and use your items liberally in general. Bombs seem plentiful and once you hit the limit (10 for basic, 5 for big) you can't pick up more. Put a point or two into Onmyo and Ninjitsu (Magic and Dexterity) so you can learn some self buffs like the elemental enchantments for your weapon and power pills, then use them on anything that looks remotely challenging. Pop them before walking into yokai mist. Use your Guardian Spirit ability liberally as well; it's triangle and circle when the circle in the upper left is full. It boosts your stats and provides some invincibility, and it fills up very quickly in between difficult fights (at least in my case). If you are getting stun locked mash out your Guardian Spirit, I've been able to activate it in between the second and third - and fatal - blows from a Yokai and it's a great life saver. Try a different weapon for a while. Don't worry about not being spec'd for it because respeccing is fairly cheap. Using different weapons builds their proficiency and earns you samurai skill points that you can dump into your preferred weapon. These points also get refunded during the respec, so don't worry about making mistakes. That said, the first abilities you should learn are the ones that effect all the weapon types because they offer boosts you'll be using constantly. If managing your Ki is tripping you up, practice with smaller combos and Ki Pulsing outside of combat. If you stack two elemental debuffs on an enemy it'll create a new debuff that really fucks the enemy up. This can be done by bringing a Guardian Spirit with a different element from your Onmyo enchantment, so keep that in mind if you hit a wall.

It's a lot faster than Dark Souls, maybe faster than Bloodborne. Getting in to do some damage and getting out to zone your opponent are key skills and it's easy to get carried away with a combo that leaves you without Ki to block or dodge. Even big enemies who can kill you in one hit have moves that can be exploited, it just takes patience.

But hey, if you still don't like it that's fine. There's going to be lots of good games this year.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you can't afford $60 for a game you should bootstrap yourself into a better job pauper, this is Trump's America now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm glad Nioh already has a crowd dedicated to the GameFAQs style posting to killed thousands of people's interest in the Souls series immediately

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think there' more Ninja Gaiden in the formula than you were expecting. It also requires re-thinking how you approach combat, as Bloodborne has probably left you with some habits that don't jive here. Since there were three trial periods it's been possible for some people to practice Nioh's fighting style before being thrown into the game, which makes the learning curve a lot smoother. Your verdict reads almost exactly like someone who plays a Souls game for the first time: enemies are too hard and I die too often.

[tips]

It's a lot faster than Dark Souls, maybe faster than Bloodborne. Getting in to do some damage and getting out to zone your opponent are key skills and it's easy to get carried away with a combo that leaves you without Ki to block or dodge. Even big enemies who can kill you in one hit have moves that can be exploited, it just takes patience.

But hey, if you still don't like it that's fine. There's going to be lots of good games this year.

Those are good tips, thanks. I'm glad you can respec because the game as far as I am aware did not tell me you can do that, so I've been weighing my stat choices far heavier than I probably should.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want from software to bring over the monster hunter animal crossing-esque game they made >:[

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When will we get 3D Dot Game Heroes on PC, I ask.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

When will we get 3D Dot Game Heroes on PC, I ask.

I wonder what from is working on for the switch

Maybe 3d dot game heroes 2

Or maybe a switch port of the monster hunter animal crossing style game thing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

I wonder what from is working on for the switch

Maybe 3d dot game heroes 2

Man I hope so, 3D Dot Game Heroes was a lot of fun.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

CJacobs posted:

If I want to play a video game, and the cheapest I can find it for is $60 because it is new, then I will buy it for $60 and have fun playing a good new game

Preordering still dumb though

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CJacobs posted:

Those are good tips, thanks. I'm glad you can respec because the game as far as I am aware did not tell me you can do that, so I've been weighing my stat choices far heavier than I probably should.

Yeah, I didn't know that you had played the demos so I'm sorry if that post sounded like I was talking down to you. You can buy the respec item at the blacksmith for 10k (the price increases with each purchase) and I'm pretty sure it'll be an item that can be found in levels, too. So go nuts with your levels.

In Training posted:

I'm glad Nioh already has a crowd dedicated to the GameFAQs style posting to killed thousands of people's interest in the Souls series immediately

Is this directed at my post, or is there a level of "git gud, it's so easy" that's floating around elsewhere? I think the worst are people proclaiming to have the one good build and recommends everyone else play the same way. All points into Strength, high stance Axe will probably get you through the game, but so will nearly any combination of stats and skills.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I just meant the tendency for people to drop huge walls of text at a moments notice about how to play :P

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It was directed towards me because I said the majority of opinions I've read is that people are finding retail release easier than the demos

The actual Nioh thread is better now but there was a lot of "git gud" posts during the demos

edit: or not

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I specifically tried different things in each iteration of the Nioh demos and had no problems with any playstyle. If you just want to stick to one stance and one weapon there will be skills that make it viable for you.

I think the thing most people don't do often enough because of Souls habits is block. Blocking is god tier in Nioh, takes very little stamina and avoids all physical damage.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In Training posted:

Yeah I just meant the tendency for people to drop huge walls of text at a moments notice about how to play :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM

:)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

From what I've read, the game has been tuned down a bit from the alpha and beta demos, but I'll have to see for myself tonight. I still think the greater pool of options in terms of skills/stances/magic makes this more accessible than Dark Souls, at least to people starting out with this kind of game. There are actual manuals and in-game tutorials about mechanics as opposed to wondering what the gently caress a pellet that "gives beasthood boners" does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

You can also press the Options button on any equipment or status screen and get a definition of what everything means. So instead of scratching your head about what "vs Yokai realm" means, the game will tell you in clear terms that it's your resistance to having your Ki sapped when standing in a yokai's impure circle. I think Dark Souls did that too, but there's a lot more granular bonus that equipment can confer in Nioh, and there's a page in the Status tab that lists all the active bonuses from equipment and Guardian Spirits. I don't know if that also includes the bonuses gained from earning titles or the kodama blessings, but it a cool way to review and see what synergies you've got going on. I found some light armor that made evading cost less Ki and it's really shaped my playthrough so far (just beat the bat caves).

It's a good game and I like talking about it. I'll be here all day.

• Locked thread