Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pick posted:

I've gone on plenty of trips with male friends where I didn't gently caress them. Actually, every single trip I've done with a guy I wasn't dating, I kept it in my freakin pants

That wasn't my issue with her, it was her misappropriating the language to get her way sans communication

Yeah, but were those male friends your ex, were you sharing a hotel (possibly also a bed?) with them, and were you planning to drink/do drugs around them nonstop knowing they might want to gently caress you and try to talk you into it?

It's not like her boyfriend didn't know her ex was going to try to gently caress his girlfriend, this is a pretty safe assumption to make. Whether or not she's going to cheat on him is the question, and I can't blame him for not waiting around for the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Huggybear, Pete obviously had enough experience to predict what was going to happen, so he broke up with her because it was really, really obvious. There are way too many stories in this thread of people being infuriatingly naive about their SOs, which is what made this story shine. It's not a misogyny thing.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Huggybear posted:

hahaha wow all you closet MRAs, jesus, reddit is an echo chamber for mouth breathing unwashed incel misogynists. Just because the neckbearded hive mind masses think she's a raging slut for traveling to hang with an old friend, ex or otherwise, doesn't make them right. You're all so wrathful even if the woman doesn't cheat. Grow the gently caress up.

Trust is the most important thing in a relationship after love and empathy. If her douchey, uncommunicative ex didn't trust her, is incapable of adult discussion/negotiation and treated her like she's a possession/cum-vessel representation of his patriarchal honour, then she is in a better place and Pete is just a loving tool. Again, grow the gently caress up, Christ.

If my girlfriend wants to hang out with her ex, more power to her. I don't automatically assume she is going to gently caress that person because she is an intelligent human with self-control and agency and values our relationship more than a passive-aggressive hate gently caress, which is 99% of cheating.
What was that quote about projecting a minute ago? Cause loving lol we could use you to display ads on the moon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

Which is fine for a wedding that is overall of that tier, but not if you're making your wife wear a garbage bag.

Oh absolutely. The guy in questions wifes outfit was twice or more what his cost and the kilt is his finest dress up ensemble piece.

Academia is weird.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bothe Pete and his ex are better off for that relationship having ended.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Mirthless posted:

She was going to amsterdam to get drunk and do drugs with her ex in a hotel room they were sharing.

Are you for real right now? If you want to throw around the immature label you could be a little less naive.

20+ year marriages have ended in a single night of poor drunken decisionmaking and considering they're both going to be hosed up nonstop for the entire time they're in amsterdam, I think it's fair to say there's going to be a lot of opportunities and nights for poor decisions to be made.

I am commenting on what happened. He broke up with her without talking to her, because he believed she was going to cheat on him. *note* she didn't actually cheat on him

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Huggybear posted:

I am commenting on what happened. He broke up with her without talking to her, because he believed she was going to cheat on him. *note* she didn't actually cheat on him

No, he broke up with her because she accused him of abusing her when he said he was uncomfortable with her going on a two week trip to drugtopia with her ex

He never gave an ultimatum or accused her of cheating on him. He left her because she put him in this situation and shut down conversation by accusing him of trying to manipulate and control her, and saying it was a sure sign of abusive behavior in the future

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

if I buy a kilt for 5 grand it had better come with a loving claymore

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Oh absolutely. The guy in questions wifes outfit was twice or more what his cost and the kilt is his finest dress up ensemble piece.

Academia is weird.

Yeah it is pretty weird to spend your entire year's salary on a kilt :smuggo:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Honestly I think regardless of whether or not you plan to or will cheat it's a pretty lovely and disrespectful thing to do to your bf/gf to stay involved with a person who blatantly wants in your pants, travelling with them would be beyond unacceptable.

"You're abusive for being comfortable with this" really sealed it tho.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

LethalGeek posted:

What was that quote about projecting a minute ago? Cause loving lol we could use you to display ads on the moon.

I have regrettably browsed a few of the links posted here to get a feel for what reddit is like. It make GBS look like a ivy league graduate seminar in philosophy by comparison. It's grotesque. I just assumed what I was "projecting" was a fairly common observation.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

The guy is definitely awful, but also, isn't it a bit ridiculous to start renting when you own a house free and clear? Like...this is a bad move, financially.

depends on what you're renting, and what you own. she didn't go into.... any detail at all, including whether they were planning on selling the old house or renting it out or just letting it sit there and rot or what, so who the gently caress knows? Renting'll definitely cost more than a mortgage-free house but she isn't like fiscally obligated to raise her kids in a shotgun shack in Crackton even with her dismal financial outlook

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 8, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Why even bring up communication like HE did something wrong, btw? When he tried to discuss it like an adult she literally accused him of domestic abuse. Fuckin lol, really??

"You'd better not say anymore poo poo I don't want to hear or you might as well be OJ Simpson :smug:" great communication skills there lady

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 8, 2017

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Beachcomber posted:

The guy is definitely awful, but also, isn't it a bit ridiculous to start renting when you own a house free and clear? Like...this is a bad move, financially.

2 kids in one room would suck, depending on how small the room is. But I agree. She should drop her dead weight, regain use of her living room, and do her best to tough it out for the next few years until she finishes her degree and starts making more money.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Mirthless posted:

No, he broke up with her because she accused him of abusing her when he said he was uncomfortable with her going on a two week trip to drugtopia with her ex

He never gave an ultimatum or accused her of cheating on him. He left her because she put him in this situation and shut down conversation by accusing him of trying to manipulate and control her, and saying it was a sure sign of abusive behavior in the future

you're just reverse white knighting the dude. Guess what? Being in a relationship does not give you the right to impose your definition of monogamous relationship. Every time there is a story of cheating or assumed cheating in this thread (and it is often women) the hive-mind slut-shaming cranks up to full klazon. It's annoying and childish af.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Me [40 M] with my wife [38 F] of 14 years, she makes me the responsible one, then laughs at me

This guy got lost in pedo-drama and halloween-gate. I feel really bad for this guy, even if he does sound a little patronizing at times. This may be a rare womenchild as seen in the wild. In her mind, she settled with the safe choice, but is beginning to regret it and take it out on him. He's more her dad now than an equal partner.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Huggybear posted:

you're just reverse white knighting the dude. Guess what? Being in a relationship does not give you the right to impose your definition of monogamous relationship. Every time there is a story of cheating or assumed cheating in this thread (and it is often women) the hive-mind slut-shaming cranks up to full klazon. It's annoying and childish af.

All I'm reading here is "it's abuse to refuse an open relationship", and gently caress you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm pretty tolerant of insufferable(heh) internet speak but "reverse white-knighting" has me steaming mad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Huggybear posted:

They disagreed on what being in a monogamous relationship meant and that's why they broke up and are both better off for it, though?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Huggybear posted:

I have regrettably browsed a few of the links posted here to get a feel for what reddit is like. It make GBS look like a ivy league graduate seminar in philosophy by comparison. It's grotesque. I just assumed what I was "projecting" was a fairly common observation.

Reddit being a poo poo hole has nothing to do with what has largely been agreed upon a good story by goons. You're the about only person who came to your wild conclusions about misogyny coming out of Pete.

Edit: because your poo poo is broke apparently.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Beachcomber posted:

This guy got lost in pedo-drama and halloween-gate. I feel really bad for this guy, even if he does sound a little patronizing at times. This may be a rare womenchild as seen in the wild. In her mind, she settled with the safe choice, but is beginning to regret it and take it out on him. He's more her dad now than an equal partner.

I read that one and thought it was sad, just didn't comment cause there was nothing to say. I think this is almost one of those situations where he should print out the post and show it to her but I'm sure she'd just latch onto a couple examples of him talking about how she can't do the taxes instead of seeing the bigger picture of how unreasonable she's being.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

She was going to amsterdam to get drunk and do drugs with her ex in a hotel room they were sharing.

lol yeah look hanging out around an ex is one thing but uh that wouldn't be chill with a stranger of the opposite gender let alone someone you have a previous emotional connection/attachment with

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Breetai posted:

Yeah, you're supposed to do it out of the room, while meowing.

Fantastic SA throwback reference!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

*taps pen against chin a few times, removes glasses and crosses legs the other way*
Perhaps it is YOU who is white-knighting the girl in the story...
:crossarms:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Huggybear posted:

lmao come on guy i'm the first person to say 'sluts are fine, women should be as free as men' but it's not because she's a woman it's because that's just a super weirdo rear end thing to do.

If your SO is telling you that they will take a trip with her ex, just them, to another country to do drugs and hang out and sleep in the same hotel room together and that if you have any objection that's abusive they are a crazy person whether they are male or female or what.

You're acting like he has no right to even be uncomfortable or communicate his feelings on the matter because otherwise he is not trusting her.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

LethalGeek posted:

Reddit being a poo poo hole has nothing to do with what has largely been agreed upon a good story by goons. You're the about only person who came to your wild conclusions about misogyny coming out of Pete.

oh no omg someone disagreed with the majority response to this gossip girl drama and its hilariously disproportionate response. I enjoy this thread but not the collective vilification and slut shaming of pretty much every woman who has relationship issues due to guy friends, ex-boyfriends who are friends, and even having sex (gasp!) with another person. So my admittedly melodramatic response is also in response to that generally. It's annoying. Women are allowed to gently caress other people even in a committed relationship and there is no need to judge them as harshly as they are here, let alone that fecal cesspit that is Reddit. I'm not some polyamorous unicorn warrior either, I just believe that trust and heck, imagine forgiveness are part of the spectrum of a non-patriarchal response to a pretty carnal/primal/not that big of a deal mistake.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ignoring of course that loving off for a drug vacation in the sex capital of Europe with an ex (just you two) is not something a trustworthy person springs on an SO.

Huggybear posted:

I enjoy this thread but not the collective vilification and slut shaming of pretty much every woman who has relationship issues due to guy friends, ex-boyfriends who are friends, and even having sex (gasp!) with another person.

lol you're just making poo poo up my dog

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

I just believe that trust and heck, imagine forgiveness are part of the spectrum of a non-patriarchal response to a pretty carnal/primal/not that big of a deal mistake.

So you're mad that we assume she is going to cheat and then you strongly insinuate that she is going to cheat but that's okay because forgiveness.

lmao gently caress off

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Huggybear posted:

oh no omg someone disagreed with the majority response to this gossip girl drama and its hilariously disproportionate response. I enjoy this thread but not the collective vilification and slut shaming of pretty much every woman who has relationship issues due to guy friends, ex-boyfriends who are friends, and even having sex (gasp!) with another person. So my admittedly melodramatic response is also in response to that generally. It's annoying. Women are allowed to gently caress other people even in a committed relationship and there is no need to judge them as harshly as they are here, let alone that fecal cesspit that is Reddit. I'm not some polyamorous unicorn warrior either, I just believe that trust and heck, imagine forgiveness are part of the spectrum of a non-patriarchal response to a pretty carnal/primal/not that big of a deal mistake.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think our taints are being reaped here.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I, for one, have had almost the exact same thing happen. "I'm just going to meet an ex from way back, woops I ended up sleeping with him."
It could easily have been a woman breaking up with a guy and I sincerely believe SA would be cheering her on as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Huggybear posted:

You are like a caricature of an internet person and it's weird.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah, this gave it away for me, too.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Huggybear posted:

If you really think we don't call out cheaters/liers of any gender then your perceptions or ability to read is seriously damaged.

Edit: typo

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hot take: if you want to gently caress other people and your partner doesn't and/or isn't really okay with it then you're each better off not being in a relationship and I don't think that's slut shaming, just consideration for people you profess to care about and acknowledgement of irreconcilable differences.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Or just a dumbass troll we should start ignoring and moving on from someone post a story I gotta walk the dog in the cold rear end rain.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You are like a caricature of an internet person and it's weird.

I think it is kind of sad how judgemental people are. A six month old relationship, and I'm too lazy to check, but also in their 20s? yeah have some fun while you still can.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Just put that dude on ignore. He's trying to rustle this thread's jimmies.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Huggybear posted:

So do you not think she violated Pete's trust when she hid the fact that she was in a relationship with the guy for a period of time instead of being honest about their past? Or maybe that she booked a trip with said person she was dishonest about in the past without talking to him about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

No. She was not intending to sleep with her ex, but it would have happened and she'd be stuck with the guilt for the rest of her life. Better to just break things off, people do that all the time. Pete understood this, yay Pete.