Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fadam posted:

What Onmyo magic is the good stuff? I respecced to mess around with it and I'm pretty underwhelmed with all the shots.

Weapon buffs, elemental resistances, group heal, self heal over time, increased amrita multiplier (faster living weapon), amrita on hit (same), lower enemy ki, increase defense...

Just read through the skill tree. Good stuff in there. The shots are weak unless you invest a lot in Magic, in which case they hit hard, but you only have a few charges. You can use those consumable brushes to get more charges though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
PSA: This game tracks an absurd amount of stats. To see these, go to Titles -> Game Record in the top menu that you used for managing inventory and learning skills and poo poo. This screen has like 6 tabs that tell you everything from how many deaths you have, to how much totall fall damage you've taken, how many parries, etc. to what level you were when you cleared each main mission. It's loving nuts.

If you got to the Amrita Memories menu item on the map you access more stuff than when you're in mission. You can see info about all the yokai you've fought, including their weaknesses, how many you've killed, and how many times they've killed you. Great for checking how many times you died to a boss. I died to the bat lady 51 times.

Another of the "map only" amrita memories options lets you view your spirit guardians, and just like the yokai, you can zoom and rotate around the models.

You can also rewatch every cutscene so far, in case you were busy phone posting during half of them like me. oops.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Snak posted:

PSA: This game tracks an absurd amount of stats. To see these, go to Titles -> Game Record in the top menu that you used for managing inventory and learning skills and poo poo. This screen has like 6 tabs that tell you everything from how many deaths you have, to how much totall fall damage you've taken, how many parries, etc. to what level you were when you cleared each main mission. It's loving nuts.

If you got to the Amrita Memories menu item on the map you access more stuff than when you're in mission. You can see info about all the yokai you've fought, including their weaknesses, how many you've killed, and how many times they've killed you. Great for checking how many times you died to a boss. I died to the bat lady 51 times.

Another of the "map only" amrita memories options lets you view your spirit guardians, and just like the yokai, you can zoom and rotate around the models.

You can also rewatch every cutscene so far, in case you were busy phone posting during half of them like me. oops.

If you rewatch a cutscene, does it include William in his most current armor?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

If you rewatch a cutscene, does it include William in his most current armor?

I don't know, I didn't actually rewatch any, just saw that they were all available.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Weapon buffs, elemental resistances, group heal, self heal over time, increased amrita multiplier (faster living weapon), amrita on hit (same), lower enemy ki, increase defense...

Just read through the skill tree. Good stuff in there. The shots are weak unless you invest a lot in Magic, in which case they hit hard, but you only have a few charges. You can use those consumable brushes to get more charges though.

The real use for the shots I've found is using them to quickly get their corresponding debuffs on a target for fast discord. It makes hairier fights against bigger yokai a breeze.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
So someone mentioned this earlier but using spirit stones mid battle fills up your Living Weapon gauge. Doing this myself, seems pretty useful to me, though needing to use 3 small spirit stones in quick succession is quite an issue.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Beat everything Way of the Samurai (normal mode) has to offer including the post game bullshit fights. Died 11 times not including the 5 on one of the double boss bonus fights. 16 deaths total. Great game but I'm loving beat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

Beat everything Way of the Samurai (normal mode) has to offer including the post game bullshit fights. Died 11 times not including the 5 on one of the double boss bonus fights. 16 deaths total. Great game but I'm loving beat.

How many hours did it take you?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

These bars lie, so many times I get attacked by enemies still alive with no pixels of life or blocking while their ki is flashing red

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Says 35 Hours 38 Minutes but I don't know if that includes when i was in rest mode sleeping and it definitely includes the times I was just leaving the game on eating or whatever. I would say it was probably around 30 hours based on napkin math.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Gah! This game is so good!!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Traxis posted:

Beat centipede dude on the first try, I don't understand why anyone had trouble with it.

I beat it first go but the whole fight is so laughably stupid I can't even believe it happened in such a good game.

Feenix posted:

Gah! This game is so good!!

True and good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What does Ki mean for the Yokai? I mean, I assume it's Ki even though it's purple. You can't grapple them and they seem to do everything normally even when they're empty

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What does Ki mean for the Yokai? I mean, I assume it's Ki even though it's purple. You can't grapple them and they seem to do everything normally even when they're empty

They stagger quite easily when their ki is gone, and you can knock them down and stab them in most cases if you're quick.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Where are people seeing the time played? I like they show all the stats but I don't see that in-game?

It's helpful to know I've died 82 times on the first level, how am I doing

Edit: Make that 110, I learned the first phase of the boss but keep screwing up the distances on attacks in the second\

Edit: Finally did it! 111 deaths, 33851 Amrita lost

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 9, 2017

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Bugblatter posted:

I love how the localization team appear to be excellent translators who just do not understand gameplay mechanics at all. Like, all the narrative stuff, all the descriptions of regions and history, and all the unlockable biographies are totally fine. And grammatically all of the item and ability descriptions are correct too. They just don't reflect what any of those really do.
It pretty much blew my mind when 'Use Ki Pulse while dodging' actually meant AUTOMATICALLY use the Ki-Pulse while dodging. Being able to dart around Bloodborne-style while still taking advantage of Nioh's mechanics is amazing. I'm wondering if it also works with the Iaijutsu tree as well to automatically chain them together.

As far as the ':haw: We don't want players to have access to co-op easily because we wanna be the next Dark Souls!' thing goes, considering you have to opt-in to summon co-op partners, it is kind of lovely. If a player wants to make the game harder, they'll just not use it. At the moment it's just all the die-hard no-hit-barefist-level-one-no-bonfire ultra hardcore crowd who are all :smug: about it, everyone else just wants to run around with a samurai bro and have fun.

And here's a crazy useful list of what skills offer passive bonuses regardless of weapon from reddit.

limited fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 9, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

limited posted:

It pretty much blew my mind when 'Use Ki Pulse while dodging' actually meant AUTOMATICALLY use the Ki-Pulse while dodging. Being able to dart around Bloodborne-style while still taking advantage of Nioh's mechanics is amazing. I'm wondering if it also works with the Iaijutsu tree as well to automatically chain them together.

This is a game changer. My build is pretty much dodge/evasion constantly but I've been passing on this skill because I just didn't really understand what it meant.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Did anyone here get Nioh via pre-order over Amazon? If so, did they send you a pre-order bonus code? Amazon ran out of stock and delayed my shipment out a month, so I canceled and bought it off the PSN. Wondering if someone who doesn't care about Fashion Souls wants to let me use their code. :I
Edit: Alternatively, does the pre-order costume have some version I can obtain in-game so I'm not missing out on some fashion?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 9, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone know where to find the plans for the gloves on Kanbei's set ("great tactician" or something like that.)? I thought I got plans for the entire set as a quest reward but it turns out I'm missing the gloves.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
What ninjutsu skills are the useful ones? Just the passives? Seems like the shuriken and kunai don't to too much damage, and the one poison that goes on your weapon (gallnut broth) did not seem to do anything, even when a debuff showed on the enemy. Does poison not do damage? I'm very low level still, maybe thats the issue. Any recommendations for a ninjutsu build?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

HotBobaloo posted:

What ninjutsu skills are the useful ones? Just the passives? Seems like the shuriken and kunai don't to too much damage, and the one poison that goes on your weapon (gallnut broth) did not seem to do anything, even when a debuff showed on the enemy. Does poison not do damage? I'm very low level still, maybe thats the issue. Any recommendations for a ninjutsu build?

Debuffs show up as a greyed out icon until that icon is filled, then it applies

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone know where to find the plans for the gloves on Kanbei's set ("great tactician" or something like that.)? I thought I got plans for the entire set as a quest reward but it turns out I'm missing the gloves.

I don't think there are gloves. The sword is the last piece of the set (sword, hat, robe, pants, shoes) since the bonus maxes out at five pieces.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm bad, hardest thing so far for me was Way of the Samurai and Omnyo Mage adept training :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aww, nuts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fadam posted:

What Onmyo magic is the good stuff? I respecced to mess around with it and I'm pretty underwhelmed with all the shots.

The shots are for status effects, not damage. Elemental status effects are good, and when you can stack two different ones on a target, they get a third status effect called Discord that makes them take a bunch of extra damage and nukes their Ki regeneration. Onmyo magic is great--it's just not sorcery from Souls.

Real hurthling! posted:

is there any soft cap on skills in this game like in ds? if so do we know them?

We don't know yet. The gains you get from stat investment fluctuate like crazy in Nioh, so people haven't been able to find where the point of diminishing returns is. For a lot of stats, it looks like you hit diminishing returns between like 18-25, depending on the stat, but you'll usually start getting good returns again if you keep putting points in. It sort of ebbs and flows, rather than having a clear soft cap.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So where do I even get magic? I'm on like the third main mission and I never got any spell tutorials or introductions to it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So where do I even get magic? I'm on like the third main mission and I never got any spell tutorials or introductions to it.

Did you do the ninjutsu tutorial after the first main mission? Magic works exactly the same way: go to the skill tree, buy some spells, ready them with Ready Jutsu at a shrine, equip them like items.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

fadam posted:

Onmyo magic isn't terrible, but I would not suggest building it as your primary stat. You not have enough magic slots/uses (or quick item slots for that matter) to do what casters in the souls games do. If you get lucky and you find a purple weapon that scales to magic and has an elemental damage mod on it then by all means go hog wild putting every resource available in magic, otherwise you really still need to statted to be good in a punch up first and casting second.

That's not to say magic is bad, quite the contrary. There is a lot of powerful stuff to be had in there, but it needs to be saved for tough roadblock enemies or big hordes of poo poo rather than slapping down chumps that inconvenience you.

Hint: Try hitting someone will multiple elements to ruin their day. Throw a fire bomb at them and light them up before you shoot them with a water/thunder/wind/earth orb and laugh at their misfortune while you come at them with hot murder.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 9, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So is the entire first area, up until Muneshige What was in the Demo? I'm like 12 hours in and just now there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I did it, I survived spider hell. And now I know where all the ceiling fuckers are hiding so I can avoid them on replay games! :toot:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Onmyo magic isn't terrible, but I would not suggest building it as your primary stat. You will almost have enough magic slots/uses (or quick item slots for that matter) to do what casters in the souls games do. If you get lucky and you find a purple weapon that scales to magic and has an elemental damage mod on it then by all means go hog wild putting every resource available in magic, otherwise you really still need to statted to be good in a punch up first and casting second.

That's not to say magic is bad, quite the contrary. There is a lot of powerful stuff to be had in there, but it needs to be saved for tough roadblock enemies or big hordes of poo poo rather than slapping down chumps that inconvenience you.

Hint: Try hitting someone will multiple elements to ruin their day. Throw a fire bomb at them and light them up before you shoot them with a water/thunder/wind/earth orb and laugh at their misfortune while you come at them with hot murder.

Yes, this is true. Magic in Nioh is supplementary--it's never going to be your main source of damage and everything about it is supposed to complement your weapon fighting. The <Element> Shot spells aren't Soul Arrows: they're there to help you tag enemies with elemental status effects, and those status effects own really hard, even on their own. Fire is maybe the weakest of them all because it's just a damage-over-time. All of the others gently caress over the enemy something fierce, either by slowing their Ki regeneration, making them more susceptible to other status effects, or just outright making them move and attack really slowly. Onmyo magic has other, non-elemental status effects, too, that nuke enemy defenses, slow them down even more, and all of that. And it's a good pairing for a Spirit build because it has spells that let you charge your Living Weapon faster or make amrita spill out of enemies when you hit them (to, again, charge your Living Weapon faster).

And yeah, hitting someone with multiple elemental status effects makes them basically helpless. Non-elemental effects like poison or paralysis don't count for this, but they're good, too.

Ninjutsu has better direct damage, but you should think of ninjutsu a bit like pyromancy in Dark Souls: it's strong, but you don't have enough uses to make it your main source of damage on every fight. It only gets one elemental status effect (through the fire bombs) but can poison, paralyze, etc. And poison does lots of damage when you get your ninjutsu power up, and it lasts pretty much forever.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So is there a clan y'all have joined?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
What's the story with the second time you do Itsukushima (the Umi-bozu area), does lighting the fires actually do anything this time around? Also are there only two or am I missing the third somehow?

Sadly I can't provide the boss' name as I haven't yet had a chance to read it since I get my poo poo pushed in immediately after having fought the previous two groups of enemies first.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

You know what this game could do without? The Yokai puddles.

Especially on bosses.

Especially on bosses who just dump them out constantly.

gently caress you Monkey Lightning Dog.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do you know how to clear them?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Harrow posted:

Do you know how to clear them?

Yup, and it's still annoying, because you need them to be near to boss to have any way of doing it without using items

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that having to do a perfect pulse to dispell yokai pools is too annoying/harsh. There's 3 levels of ki pulse: when you just do it whenever, when you almost get it, and when you nail it perfectly. I'd like it if they made the "almost perfect" ki pulse also count.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PSA. Check your combos. I'm using dual katanas and I've been doing the kick at the end of light combos for a while. Ki pulses weren't working as well. So I shadowboxed for a while. The kick at the end starts its own ki drain. Ruining the chance to regain the ki from the whole combo.

But annoying. But the game is asking me to either regen my ki or do huge damage to the enemy ki.

Games deep.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
You can just hit light attack and ki pulse it whenever though? There's even a sword skill that lets you do a manual ki pulse wave attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Spuckuk posted:

Yup, and it's still annoying, because you need them to be near to boss to have any way of doing it without using items

No you dont. Swing a weapon once. Ki pulse. Doesnt need to connect. Doenst need to be a long combo.

Or swing weapon. Dash.