Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

This is the correct answer

*sips nasty maxwell house office coffee*
Coffee froo-froo-ness is overrated. The only bad coffee is no coffee at all. :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

scuz posted:

Coffee froo-froo-ness is overrated. The only bad coffee is no coffee at all. :respek:

I have an espresso machine but I haven't used it much over the past two years since the kid was born--i'm not going to wake her up in the morning grinding coffee and all that poo poo.

And the office coffee is bad, but the Tullys here in my building is somehow even worse--burnt as gently caress and 5-6 bucks for a mocha? Fuckers.

Since the kid wakes up 1-3 times a night, i'm on the two rockstars a day plan for now.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 9, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The single biggest difference in my coffee drinking life was when I got a burr grinder and began buying only whole bean coffee. It's like a completely different ballgame.

This is my default coffee and I love it so. I'm a light-medium roast guy and this hits all the right spots for me.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

bolind posted:

My company is currently conducting a full scale experiment to determine the LD50 for corporate bullshit.

Sucks. What're they pulling?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm on the two rockstars a day plan for now.

:stonk: It's probably cheaper to snort crushed up caffeine pills and drink from the gray water tank in an RV than to drink that poo poo. Healthier, too. Get you some real coffee, son.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
but it's the zero calorie version :v:

i can't stand having coffee breath all day.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

HandlingByJebus posted:

Sucks. What're they pulling?

Just a full company event. Probably nice if you like other people and don't have poo poo to do, both work wise and personally. None of that applies to me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is it ironic that the lid is stuck on this can of Kroil?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Good coffee is amazing, and doesn't have to be hard or that expensive. Good beans, freshly ground, aeropress or pour over, good water if you live somewhere with tons of calcium in the water...

The water here is so hard you get bruises when you shower.

Can't say I've ever tasted a difference in the coffee due to water mineral content. Nor in whisky, for that matter.

E: And from what I gather, minerals in the water help bind flavor compounds, so you need a certain minimum mineral content for good coffee.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So, just got a call from the car dealership. Versa's ready for me to come pick up any time, going at 4pm. No bites on the Mazda yet, but I only posted a picture of it from the summer so I'm gonna take some more to post up with it.

She is no longer insured and in a few hours will be registered as unfit. Hooray!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I put pre-ground Costco coffee through a bargain basement 11 year old espresso machine, it's the LS swap of drinks.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Safety Dance posted:

The very definition, even.

quote:

i·ro·ny1
ˈīrənē/
noun
noun: irony

the lid being stuck on a can of Kroil

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Safety Dance posted:

http://i.imgur.com/4NPtxDk.mp4

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Same here.

"I need coffee to function"

No you don't.

Its not for my survival, its for yours.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Meet Trevor Peters - PT Cruiser Hunter

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's it, that's what I was talking about. Texas ones sound like that when they really get going. Neat that Japan is the same in that respect.

Liquid Communism posted:

We have retarded automated Starbucks machines. Terrible coffee, terribly treated. I bring in a thermos from home with the dark roast a local roaster used to make for the bakery I worked at before it went under.

We've got your standard office drip machines and pump pots, but use Starbucks food-service coffee packs. It's burnt to gently caress, of course, because Starbucks. I had to put a ton of creamer and sugar in it to make it drinkable. Since I moved offices and am nowhere near one of the break rooms, I bought a $20 5-cup Mr. Coffee, and brew my own. Just Folgers or whatever (had Dunkin Donuts vanilla the other day), but so much better. Also, I'm sure that the pot gets cleaned every use. Lately, my wife has been making coffee at home in the morning, so I haven't been making it here in the office. I don't need a lot of coffee, just some in the morning, usually.

Safety Dance posted:

Use WD-40 to unstick it.

I was going to find the one where Dale lubricated a slightly sticky cap on a big can of WD-40 with a little can. This one is even better.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I genuinely have a friend who has one of these:

Solely for the purpose of cleaning the outside of this when he's finished vacuuming

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Coffee is vile, I have no understanding of how people's tastebuds adapt to make them actually like it.

Like so many other tastes that aren't immediately appealing*, it is definitely something you have to learn to appreciate. Same thing with any bitter or astringent or complex sort of flavor that isn't immediately appealing. Beer, whisky (alcohol in general really), licorice, olives, blue cheese and so on. Stuff that is extremely rewarding and highly complex taste-wise, but take some learning and getting used to.

You shouldn't ever feel forced to like something, though.

It's also likely that you simply have a more developed taste for bitterness, and that coffee is simply more bitter tasting to you, than it is to most people.

*Sweet, fatty, salty, those sort of tastes that we instinctively associate with "this is probably calorie heavy and nutritionally dense and therefore good food".

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Same here.

"I need coffee to function"

No you don't.

"I need coffee to function like a human being, teehee"

*Adds a mountain of sugar and an ocean of milk to a thimbleful of coffee*

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 9, 2017

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I decided to log on to my University account and look at my life choices a little bit. I need 122 hours to graduate and have completed 82. Looking over my major requirements I will probably end up with more than 40 hours of classes to complete the degree requirements.

I should probably get on with it and finish up schooling shouldn't I. It is likely just a formality at this point but I should have that checked off on my life accomplishments.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I decided to log on to my University account and look at my life choices a little bit. I need 122 hours to graduate and have completed 82. Looking over my major requirements I will probably end up with more than 40 hours of classes to complete the degree requirements.

I should probably get on with it and finish up schooling shouldn't I. It is likely just a formality at this point but I should have that checked off on my life accomplishments.

Do you need to finish? Will you increase your personal debt doing so?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Do you need to finish? Will you increase your personal debt doing so?

For my current job no I don't need to finish. I have no plans on leaving where I am working either, but it would be a good thing to have. I have enough work experience as well that it would probably carry me anywhere else I need to go (8+ years of B2B sales, marketing, purchasing & inventory management).

I would cash flow university tuition costs which is probably like 10-15K a year going full time. We have no debt outside of our house payment. The thing that sucks will be time away from the wife and kids. We have our third arriving in June too.

EDIT: Tuition per semester at 12 credits is about $3700. So it would probably be around $4K a semester.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Well, at least he's not buying them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He's a stalker, not a hunter. If he was hunting them he'd be doing the world a favor.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's also likely that you simply have a more developed taste for bitterness, and that coffee is simply more bitter tasting to you, than it is to most people.
Probably, yes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Darchangel posted:

We've got your standard office drip machines and pump pots, but use Starbucks food-service coffee packs. It's burnt to gently caress, of course, because Starbucks. I had to put a ton of creamer and sugar in it to make it drinkable. Since I moved offices and am nowhere near one of the break rooms, I bought a $20 5-cup Mr. Coffee, and brew my own. Just Folgers or whatever (had Dunkin Donuts vanilla the other day), but so much better. Also, I'm sure that the pot gets cleaned every use. Lately, my wife has been making coffee at home in the morning, so I haven't been making it here in the office. I don't need a lot of coffee, just some in the morning, usually.

That's a good description. I usually like a darker roast, but even Starbucks' milder stuff is burnt to poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

For my current job no I don't need to finish. I have no plans on leaving where I am working either, but it would be a good thing to have. I have enough work experience as well that it would probably carry me anywhere else I need to go (8+ years of B2B sales, marketing, purchasing & inventory management).

I would cash flow university tuition costs which is probably like 10-15K a year going full time. We have no debt outside of our house payment. The thing that sucks will be time away from the wife and kids. We have our third arriving in June too.

EDIT: Tuition per semester at 12 credits is about $3700. So it would probably be around $4K a semester.

Well then push on man. I just see so many people with growing mountains of school debt and no actual career prospect at the end of it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I somewhat randomly decided to start going for a masters in a different field back when I was working at a place I hated, doing stuff I wasn't passionate about. I talked about it a bunch at work and people saw I was sacrificing to get stuff done, and it made a good impression. That showing of passion and drive got me into my current job, got my foot in the door for technical placement at the company I love working for, and got me started as a de facto guru in my field. Now it's paying dividends with cool work like attempting to get published in a power engineering scientific journal, and diagnosing and replacing a bad well-water pump motor in Kenya.

All that to say, whether it's right or not to go back is a question you already know the answer to.

Is it important to you? Will it make you into a better person, in your eyes? Is it something you're genuinely passionate about? Is the slice of the time pie a small sacrifice compared to what you'll get out of it? Will it give you pride when you look back on it?

Continually living outside of your comfort zone makes you grow as a person and keeps you from becoming bitterly entrenched in your ways. College and full-time work together will definitely spur that.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 9, 2017

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

This is the best coffee maker. Super easy to use/clean and makes good coffee. Picked it up on the advice of my brother in law, who happens to own a coffee roaster. He is also our source for coffee, partially because we get it for free, but mainly because its the best coffee I have ever had. In the past I only ever drank mochas purely for the caffeine, but I actually enjoy drinking his coffee black.

Seattle may be to blame for Starbucks/Tully's/Seattle's Best, but no one who is from here drinks that poo poo. We have way too many places that actually make good coffee to drink the burnt poo poo they serve at Starbucks. It's like using an umbrella, going into Starbucks is a good indicator you are not a local.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 9, 2017

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Am I too late for coffee chat? For all you guys into grinding and brewing good coffee at home, you should give roasting a try! It's a lot easier than you'd expect and a good bit of fun. You can roast in a pan or even in the oven, but using a heat gun and a dog bowl can yield surprisingly good results. Unroasted (green) coffee costs about 1/3 as much as roasted too. Here is my obsession corner:

Not shown is my HotTop roaster and work setup. All this for a mighty 2 cups a day. I still drink work coffee when I forget to bring some beans in. Ethiopian4lyfe.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Continually living outside of your comfort zone makes you grow as a person and keeps you from becoming bitterly entrenched in your ways. College and full-time work together will definitely spur that.

Truer words.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Doing full-time work and tech college made me miserable and tired whenever I was awake so I'm glad it works out for SOME folks.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Midniter posted:

The single biggest difference in my coffee drinking life was when I got a burr grinder and began buying only whole bean coffee. It's like a completely different ballgame.

This is my default coffee and I love it so. I'm a light-medium roast guy and this hits all the right spots for me.

What grinder do you use?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

Doing full-time work and tech college made me miserable and tired whenever I was awake so I'm glad it works out for SOME folks.

Yup, I used to get up at 6am for school then work till 10pm and it was a massive relief when I didn't need to do that anymore and I had a life again.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

slurry_curry posted:

This is the best coffee maker. Super easy to use/clean and makes good coffee. Picked it up on the advice of my brother in law, who happens to own a coffee roaster. He is also our source for coffee, partially because we get it for free, but mainly because its the best coffee I have ever had. In the past I only ever drank mochas purely for the caffeine, but I actually enjoy drinking his coffee black.

Seattle may be to blame for Starbucks/Tully's/Seattle's Best, but no one who is from here drinks that poo poo. We have way too many places that actually make good coffee to drink the burnt poo poo they serve at Starbucks. It's like using an umbrella, going into Starbucks is a good indicator you are not a local.

Does this BIL sell his coffee? Wouldn't mind trying a new blend

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Maksimus54 posted:

Does this BIL sell his coffee? Wouldn't mind trying a new blend

He does! His shop, Elm Coffee Roasters, is down in pioneer square. They also carry some amazing tea.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Monsieur Adiabatic nailed this on the head, but I'll throw in my 5 cents as well. If its going to be something you will feel proud about, or possibly open more doors, or if there's a net positive to it for you - do it.

A friend of mine who's been in the flower industry for 20+ years, and now owns her own shop, just finished becoming a Certified Floral Designer by the AIFD - its one of those industry-specific things, she won't get any extra money/business out of it, but she did it to prove to herself that she can hold it against the best in the world. It took a lot of blood, sweat, and tears from a working mom of 3, but she couldn't be prouder of herself (and us of her). In the process, she met new friends, contacts and like-minded individuals, and it has broadened her skillset in ways she didn't realize it would.

So, yeah. Chase that loving star. I'm busy re-aligning what I want to get out of life a bit so I can figure out a direction to go in, as I'm in a bit of a rut atm.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bolind posted:

My company is currently conducting a full scale experiment to determine the LD50 for corporate bullshit.

we're hiring

willroc7 posted:

Am I too late for coffee chat? For all you guys into grinding and brewing good coffee at home, you should give roasting a try! It's a lot easier than you'd expect and a good bit of fun. You can roast in a pan or even in the oven, but using a heat gun and a dog bowl can yield surprisingly good results. Unroasted (green) coffee costs about 1/3 as much as roasted too. Here is my obsession corner:

Not shown is my HotTop roaster and work setup. All this for a mighty 2 cups a day. I still drink work coffee when I forget to bring some beans in. Ethiopian4lyfe.

Niiiiice!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Crosspost from the Alberta thread. Appreciate opinions.

slidebite posted:

Hey, question to you guys.

Remember that wicked hailstorm I had last year with that tennis ball hail? Well insurance paid us $9K to re-shingle and eavestrough. Here is the interesting part though, we had a few additional estimates and the roofing guys were all shocked that insurance paid for a new roof because they said the shingles really looked quite good. Eavestrough had some dents from the hail here and there, but nothing that effects functionality.

Which brings up the question...

We are probably going to be listing the house within the next month or two. Should I try to re-shingle/eavestrough before the listing even though it's not bad OR should I offer to include $9K in the sale for the buyer to re-shingle/eavestrough so they can pick style, colors, etc?

What would you prefer as a potential home buyer?

I see both sides of it. Some people want to do literally nothing to a new house purchase, but others might want input and decide what to do... or even pocket the $$dough$$.

Thoughts?

To be clear there is some damage but it isn't awful. I am sure a home inspector would catch it. My gut is telling me to offer $9K to the buyer to re-do the roof to their specs, but I'm not sold on either way.

willroc7 posted:

rep Coffee Crew as well. I have a Behmor roaster too but to be honest, the last couple months I've been buying some fairly fresh roasted premade since my green beans are out of stock but it's not too bad.
Andreja Premium and Mazzer that I've used daily for the past 10 years, maybe more.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If coffee tasted 1/3rd as good as it smelled, it'd be marvelous.

My company installed Juicero machines last year and we get daily deliveries of the juice packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Aren't those like $7/glass? Do your coworkers just love the smell of burning money?

• Locked thread