Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

How's NG+ so far? Different enough and/or challenging enough to be worth playing?

EDIT: Interesting. Comparing your video and the Fextralife video of the same fight, with you wearing (I think?) heavy armor and the Fextralife guy wearing light armor, it looks like you take something like 400 less damage from comparable attacks. If that's roughly the difference between light and heavy, I can see why some people say medium armor is pointless--either go all-in on heavy or all-in on light. In a fight like that, medium armor would let you survive, what, like one more hit? Not sure that's worth either investing a bunch in Stamina on a non-axe build or taking the B-rank Agility over A-rank.

Stamina is only required on heavy armor. Light is Body/skill and Medium is Body/Srength (not that it really matters, but I haven't really seen armor yet that doesn't have laughably low stat requirements). Medium armor still has a niche for people who don't want to commit to super-dodging and never getting hit or being a fat unmovable rear end in a top hat who can guard attacks that break lesser people. You won't be as fast as the really fast guys but you will still be quick enough on your feet to dodge out of all but the largest projectiles, and you guard a fair spot better than the light armor as well.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Harrow posted:

Don't attack the wall dudes! If you do the right type of gesture (blue, yellow, or red) at them, they give you treasure, bow, and go away. Same goes for chest mimics. They just want to be friends :smith:

How do you know what gesture to do at wall? Also gently caress that he did 43000 damage to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Stamina is only required on heavy armor. Light is Body/skill and Medium is Body/Srength (not that it really matters, but I haven't really seen armor yet that doesn't have laughably low stat requirements). Medium armor still has a niche for people who don't want to commit to super-dodging and never getting hit and being a fat unmovable rear end in a top hat who can guard attacks that break lesser people. You won't be as fast as the really fast guys but you will still be quick enough on your feet to dodge out of all but the largest projectiles, and you guard a fair spot better than the light armor as well.

I meant Stamina to get high enough equip load to wear medium armor but stay at A-rank Agility. I know about the requirements.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

How do you know ehat gesture to do at wall?

You get two tries. Try one and if it's wrong, try another kind. If it's still wrong, it'll attack. You can also check player graves near the wall and see what color of gesture they did to piss the wall off, which lets you eliminate one of the three, so just try the other two.

The chest mimics do a specific gesture at you that they want you to mimic back.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

You get two tries. Try one and if it's wrong, try another kind. If it's still wrong, it'll attack. You can also check player graves near the wall and see what color of gesture they did to piss the wall off, which lets you eliminate one of the three, so just try the other two.

The chest mimics do a specific gesture at you that they want you to mimic back.

Cool. I got the mimics. But have no idea how I was supposed to know to gesture at walls.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Can you zoom in with bows?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah. R3

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Yes. I think you click R3, if I remember correctly. I do it all the time and somehow don't remember if that's the right button :psyduck:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Yes

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Bombadilillo posted:

Cool. I got the mimics. But have no idea how I was supposed to know to gesture at walls.

Its just something you figure out. I was so excited when I figured out you can gesture and they'll react.

See what happens if you can get behind them.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Monolith. posted:

Its just something you figure out. I was so excited when I figured out you can gesture and they'll react.

See what happens if you can get behind them.

If you can get behind the walls, or the mimics?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Thumbtacks posted:

If you can get behind the walls, or the mimics?

The walls. There's been one area in a side mission where you can do this.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
So last night I beat the third stage (rainy, was in the Beta) and it was a nice subversion of what I was expecting. I beat it without dying but I don't know if that gave me a title or not. It was very tense; I got cocky with the first boss and there was a critical moment where we both had a sliver of life left and I was recovering from zero Ki and mashing on X to dodge the gently caress outta danger. I scrapped by and was surprised how much more there was. Luckily the enemies in the second half are were easy enough to zone, even if I spent longer than necessary opening doors then running all the way to the beginning of the map to open another door only to realize the lead to the same area. As I became more aware of how far I had gotten without dying, I became more and more tense about screwing up, but the final boss of the stage was mercifully dopey and easily tricked into running out of Ki.

Then I tried the optional duel instead of leaving the region and boy howdy something seems to have changed between this and the demos. I threw myself at it maybe twenty times but it just wasn't happening. I'm going to try again with heavy armor and some different elemental options to see if I can find a weakness. He was tearing through me in my light armor and my best attempt only brought him down to maybe 2/5ths. Hitting him with the "attack power down" spell made it a little more bearable, but I've never been a fan of building strategies that rely on being hit. I should grab the defense down spell and see how that helps.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm confused about chest mimics. Are they the same thing that has the squirrel looking yokai jump out or are they something different that I haven't found yet?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

I'm confused about chest mimics. Are they the same thing that has the squirrel looking yokai jump out or are they something different that I haven't found yet?

Yeah Those. They do a gesture and you have a short window to do it back.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

prussian advisor posted:

Is there any credible guide out there for doing soul matching at the blacksmith? No matter how I try to use it, the base weapon seems to just have the same traits it started with. Is there a way to "add" two weapons together to get a higher-level weapon, or is soul matching just to migrate over weapon traits that have the little equals sign next to them? Basically I'm looking for a way to keep current in my preferred weapon types (katana, spear) without gimping myself long term.

The only traits that are passed over are the ones with the [] -> [] symbol next to them. I wouldn't bother with soul matching though because unless I'm missing the costs get prohibitively expensive if there's even a 5 level difference between the base and material

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

The batgirl boss seriously has me questioning whether or not I'm good enough to play this game :sweatdrop:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Guw posted:

The batgirl boss seriously has me questioning whether or not I'm good enough to play this game :sweatdrop:

Try shooting her when she's in the air--either use a bow or throw shuriken or kunai if you have some ninjutsu. It does a ton of damage and does good Ki damage, too.

Otherwise, try to play keep-away and hit her once or twice per opening, don't over-commit. She's aggressive and difficult, but you can wear her down.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Guw posted:

I died to her 51 times. I got a lot of good advice in discord about her. Mostly it boiled down to learning her tells and how to counter each of her attacks. Some are better to dodge, some are better to block. With her and the Muneshige fight, my biggest problem was dark souls style "waiting for an opening to punish." Yeah, you need to wait for openings, but you don't do enough damage to get big punishes in even in the big openings, so you gotta be doing chip damage during all the little openings.

Like originally I thought I should be waiting and baiting and using kicks to drain stamina, then wailing on them (or grappling, in Muneshige's case) when they were out. And that's good, but it's not enough unless you want to spend 90% of the fight dodging. Getting the hang of being being truly aggressive without compromising my ability to avoid and block their attacks is what made the difference.

While it's not strictly necisarry, stacking paralysis resistance can help, because it means that getting paralized doesn't mean instant death. The Archer's set, found in that mission, is all antiparalysis. I recommend it. If you are onmyo magic, you can also make and use Resistance Talismans, which provide plenty of paralysis resistance on their own, or if you are ninjutsu, you can make Shikingan Pills.

I had both, but I think the level provided must scale off related skills, because my Resistance Talismans worked great with my 17 magic, but the Shikingan Pills hardly did anything.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
God I am terrible at this game, I've spent about two hours or so on the fishing village map, amassing 10k gold and maxing familiarity with about 7 different weapons. At least I'm having a blast.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Guw posted:

Block her spinny move, when she goes up in the air if you get right under near she'll wind up for the diving attack. You can bait it over and over without messing around with dodging her air projectiles. When she whiffs the air dive into the ground, go and punish her. Rinse repeat. Backstepping during her melee combo is also good as you can get in a quick 1 or 2 hits after she whiffs the final overhead kick.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mr E posted:

Don't attack the poor wall Yokai! :(

I bowed to one and he punched me in the face, gently caress those guys.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Use the ninja points you've been ignoring and get Luna. Throw when she's airborne.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I bowed to one and he punched me in the face, gently caress those guys.

You did the wrong emote type twice!

Those guys respond to a specific color of emote, and there are three options (blue, yellow, red). You get two tries to get it right. If there are gravestones nearby, you can look at them to see what color of gesture the player did to piss off the wall, which eliminates one, which means you just try the other two and definitely get it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Don't attack the wall dudes! If you do the right type of gesture (blue, yellow, or red) at them, they give you treasure, bow, and go away. Same goes for chest mimics. They just want to be friends :smith:

:eyepop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

I don't mind it as a gameplay mechanic, I just mean that the timing required is way too tight.

If you're having trouble with the bar, try watching the lights around your character. So much of this game is getting good with ki pulses, if you can't clear yokai pools you're messing up the timing and that's just gonna make the whole game harder.

Its really not supposed to be a big deal to clear a yokai pool. Watch the lights around your character, some people prefer that to watching the bar.

The thing is the more Ki you have the smaller the part of the bar you use up by attacking (it doesn't change size like in dark souls, so its proportional instead) but the lights around your character are always the same.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm in the second act now and killed the centipede boss and I'm noticing that none of the bosses are really wrecking my poo poo like Hino-Emma did. She must have pushed my poo poo in at least 2 or 3 dozen times before I had her down pat enough to actually put her down. With Nue or whatever the lightning dog is called it took me like 3 deaths to work out his attack pattern then I cold cocked him the next time. The Doppelganger that you fight in the bottom of the crypt I punked on the first go though I had to eat all my elixirs by the end of it. On the centepede boss I killed him the first time with basically no effort, it felt like a lukewarm mid-stage roadblock enemy with slightly more health than a proper boss.

Those tongue guys in that Act 2 substory gave me more grief than the last two bosses.

Keep going, bosses get hard again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

God I am terrible at this game, I've spent about two hours or so on the fishing village map, amassing 10k gold and maxing familiarity with about 7 different weapons. At least I'm having a blast.

That's all that matters. If anything you'll get to enjoy the game for far longer than somebody like Belzac who beat it in 30 hours :)

And if you get too stuck, you can always get a goon to sherpa you through.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Bombadilillo posted:

https://youtu.be/ILraLYs5iF0

Check out this cool good thing that happened while I was sherpa to some rando.

Click that.

Now That's What I Call Owned Vol. 43557

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So any reports yet, does this game have any missions that aren't brown/grey

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Some of them are red, others are yellowish because they take place at day in fields of grain/yellow grasses.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo I hope there are more walls to try this on since I killed two or three of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ethanol posted:

So any reports yet, does this game have any missions that aren't brown/grey

Are you on the second level? There's lots of green and blue and orange...

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Harrow posted:

How's NG+ so far? Different enough and/or challenging enough to be worth playing?

EDIT: Interesting. Comparing your video and the Fextralife video of the same fight, with you wearing (I think?) heavy armor and the Fextralife guy wearing light armor, it looks like you take something like 400 less damage from comparable attacks. If that's roughly the difference between light and heavy, I can see why some people say medium armor is pointless--either go all-in on heavy or all-in on light. In a fight like that, medium armor would let you survive, what, like one more hit? Not sure that's worth either investing a bunch in Stamina on a non-axe build or taking the B-rank Agility over A-rank.

It's kinda lame where it just throws more yokai at you but it's alright. I've never been a new game plus guy in souls anyway. You can co-op it from the start for all you guys who were mad about that in normal.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How do I pick stats? It seems like I'm going heavy sword now but later I might want to switch to the axe. Is there a stat reset? Impossible without a ng?

Does the game only support one save??

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ethanol posted:

How do I pick stats? It seems like I'm going heavy sword now but later I might want to switch to the axe. Impossible without a ng?

I'm using swords, axes, and spears all without much problem. You can easily spec in multiple weapons.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The other system that's confusing me is loot. What should I be doing with it: salvage, sell, offering?

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Multiple saves under load game, and you can respec so you don't resll have much to lose besides gold by experimenting for the first part of the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ethanol posted:

How do I pick stats? It seems like I'm going heavy sword now but later I might want to switch to the axe. Is there a stat reset? Impossible without a ng?

You can respec fairly easily, and there are multiple save slots. Spec for what you want now, buy a Book of Reincarnation at the shop (you'll get there soon) if you want to switch things up later. You'll also have plenty of points to level up stats for multiple weapons, so don't feel like you have to only ever go all-in on one stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ethanol posted:

Weapons have at least 3 stats they scale off, lots of things overlap. Look at your weapon stats. If you like sword, look at what your axes scale off and find something that they hopefully share. Put points into a mix of what benefits sword the most and what benefits both sword and axe. (Or just do a little of sword's best stat and axe's best stat, you can easily level multiple stats)

There is a stat reset. (Does not require NG+, do it any time, multiple times, by buying an item)

The game supports multiple saves.