Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

itt your all bobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I'm still in the first post-tutorial area but I can already tell the masses of loot thing is more annoying than I thought it was gonna be.

My tip to avoid burnout is to just pick things up and ignore them until you reach a shrine, then look through them. Make an exception for if you pick up a really high-quality (purple) weapon of a type you like to use, because everyone likes a nice weapon upgrade. Don't stop and examine your loot every time you pick stuff up. You really don't need to--the game isn't tuned nearly tightly enough that you need to eke out every scrap of upgraded equipment you can at a moment's notice--so just save the inventory fiddling for downtime.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Crafting it guarantees its your level though, while trying to find a revenant who is your level and has your level katana may take a bit.

What else are crafting mats for? :v:

I presume you could use high grade mats to make high grade equipment to offer for high grade Amrita or items, but that doesn't sound like a fun or particularly intended method.

Also remember to stop by the smithy after every mission and check out the special items that go on sale, I forget what Tome calls them. Materials will be for sale there from time to time, and that's a good way to offload some money. I think there's some correlation between talking with Tome and spending money at the smithy that will eventually open up shop bonuses, which is where you can unlock hairstyles. You'll get points to spend there to do things like increase or improve the stock she carries, increase the money she gives you when you sell stuff, decrease the cost of forging, etc. So talk to her if you haven't, and buy poo poo too.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zaphod42 posted:

Crafting it guarantees its your level though, while trying to find a revenant who is your level and has your level katana may take a bit.

What else are crafting mats for? :v:

I'm saving mine for crafting an armor endgame set. You're going to be dumping cash into the sword to level it anyway, doing it one extra time isn't a big deal.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Phyresis posted:

itt your all bobby

Somebody should shop William's face onto the fat kid

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If tom cruise was the last samurai, William is the first weeaboo

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Is there an easier free way to reset familiarity on a weapon besides that blades of light omnyo spell?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Break down the swords and craft kusarigama. :)

For those who haven't noticed: you can combine multiple low-level crafting materials into a few high level ones.

I have way better swords then I have crafting recipies for kusarigamas. Just gotta play more

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lakbay posted:

If tom cruise was the last samurai, William is the first weeaboo

I mean he somehow masters all these martial arts just by reading some book that got left on a boat.

I am loving all the story beats I am encountering so far and I only just beat the first mission

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

tap my mountain posted:

Is there an easier free way to reset familiarity on a weapon besides that blades of light omnyo spell?

Why? What's the benefit?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
What is the to go thing to with all your junk gear? Turn it into mats? sell it? make an offering? I leaning towards mats.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Why? What's the benefit?

More samurai points without having to switch weapons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
While it's good to turns some into mats, crafting with max mats only has a 30-35% chance to be purple. So it's nit like you're gonna be able to just make purplerole stuff consistently.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've been making offerings with it so far...guess I should dismantle more.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Calidus posted:

What is the to go thing to with all your junk gear? Turn it into mats? sell it? make an offering? I leaning towards mats.

Dismantle into mats

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Do Divination Talismans give you Kodama Sense? And roughly how long is the duration? I've been using a crappy level 6 amulet all game because it is the only thing I've found with Kodama Sense and I'm terrible and finding the little shits without it.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Yes, always use div talis

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've been on a roll of missing exactly one kodama per level so far, which makes the hunt for the last one feel extra futile. I didn't even know kodama sense was a thing. I should read more item descriptions.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

More samurai points without having to switch weapons.

Are you positive the you gain proficiency from familiarity? My experience shows that you gain proficiency from hitting enemies, regardless of familiarity gained. A weapon with full familiarity shouldn't give you less proficiency in the weapon. Also, weapons you have equipped but are not using will gain familiarity but not proficiency, suggesting that there's no correlation between the two.

Deified Data posted:

I've been on a roll of missing exactly one kodama per level so far, which makes the hunt for the last one feel extra futile. I didn't even know kodama sense was a thing. I should read more item descriptions.

It's interesting to see how much more useful the mini map becomes when you have some "Sense X" abilities. Sense Amrita, Treasure, and Enemies is what I'm rolling with currently and it's great. I'm on the lookout for a kodama sense item though, I miss about half each stage.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 9, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

Are you positive the you gain proficiency from familiarity? My experience shows that you gain proficiency from hitting enemies, regardless of familiarity gained. A weapon with full familiarity shouldn't give you less proficiency in the weapon. Also, weapons you have equipped but are not using will gain familiarity but not proficiency.

Oh I thought you couldn't gain proficiency if your familiarity was full, guess I've been swapping weapons out for no reason.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

Oh neat, I didn't know that. I assume that's not going to carry over between regions, then?

That's correct. I think if you have all the kodoma collected for an act you wind up with most of your elixir restocked between rests. When you start an act I think your baseline sits at 3. When you collect your first Kodoma it goes up to 4, the fifth elixir was around Kodoma #5, and it seemed like every 5th - 6th one thereafter, though I really didn't count or track it from there.

Edit^^^^ Pretty sure it's straight up based on damage done with x weapon.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 9, 2017

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Am I reading it wrong or does one of the DLC helemts give you +25% close combat damage? The Hinmo-Enma helmet. That seems insanely strong?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

That's correct. I think if you have all the kodoma collected for an act you wind up with most of your elixir restocked between rests. When you start with 3 I think your baseline sits at 3. When you collect your first Kodoma it goes up to 4, the fifth was around #5, and it seemed like every 5th - 6th one thereafter, though I really didn't count or track it from there.

Do you go back to previous regions for higher-level missions later? Like, if I spend time collecting as many kodama as possible in the first region, will that ever pay off now that I'm in the second one?

Megasabin posted:

Am I reading it wrong or does one of the DLC helemts give you +25% close combat damage? The Hinmo-Enma helmet. That seems insanely strong?

It only applies if the enemy is paralyzed. That said, that makes that bonus fantastic for a ninjutsu build that can reliably paralyze enemies.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

Do you go back to previous regions for higher-level missions later? Like, if I spend time collecting as many kodama as possible in the first region, will that ever pay off now that I'm in the second one?

It only applies if the enemy is paralyzed. That said, that makes that bonus fantastic for a ninjutsu build that can reliably paralyze enemies.

Don't know. My guess would be when you get the New Game + missions and Twilight missions in the earlier regions the Kodoma you collected the first time through would count, but I'm not far enough in the game to definitively say yes or no.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Tempest and the skills in its tree are probably my favorite skills in the whole game. Tempest is a finishing move starter- you can break their guard, tempest, then wail on them with power attacks like iai then execute them. Sooo flashy. Being able to tempest immediately out of a perfect block is amazing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Collecting all kodama is 100% mandatory because they're scared and lost and you have to help them find their friends again. Any bonuses they give are secondary.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Soul Matching sure is a good way to completely blow through all of your money if you're not paying attention. Now I see how they prevent you from carrying low level exotic gear through to the end!

Deified Data posted:

Collecting all kodama is 100% mandatory because they're scared and lost and you have to help them find their friends again. Any bonuses they give are secondary.

This. Also I think I've found all but one on every mission I've played so far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

:yeah:

One of the guardian spirits has Kodama Sense and I really want that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Deified Data posted:

I immediately went back into the first mission to do it again because of this. I am glad I learned about Kodama Sense!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I immediately went back into the first mission to do it again because of this. I am glad I learned about Kodama Sense!

I have to do this yet - I'm currently backtracking from the boss on the second level just to find the last kodama.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
How does Kodama Sense work? I've had it equipped a few times but I'm not sure what I should have been looking out for.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

there wolf lmao posted:

Tempest and the skills in its tree are probably my favorite skills in the whole game. Tempest is a finishing move starter- you can break their guard, tempest, then wail on them with power attacks like iai then execute them. Sooo flashy. Being able to tempest immediately out of a perfect block is amazing.

How do you perform the Tempest move? It's not clear to me in the skill tree or video.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

How does Kodama Sense work? I've had it equipped a few times but I'm not sure what I should have been looking out for.

If it's like all the other "Sense X" abilities, it shows little dots on your radar in the top-right wherever a kodama is.

I'm addicted to Isonade's Sense Enemies right now. Being able to see every single ambush coming is really, really good. There are better guardian spirits I could use for combat, but Sense Enemies is really useful.

plester1 posted:

How do you perform the Tempest move? It's not clear to me in the skill tree or video.

Break an enemy's guard and then press guard (L1 by default) and you'll knock them down.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

Do you think William would show up and weab out about katanas or say "when in Rome" and become a total gun nut like the other samurai

I know IRL he was just a slave driver basically aka granted the title of samurai

My Japan history (almost called it Japan lore) is a bit sparse. Is William based on a real guy?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

My Japan history (almost called it Japan lore) is a bit sparse. Is William based on a real guy?

Loosely, yes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(sailor)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Sort of. William Adams, in real life, was the first Englishman to reach Japan and the first Westerner to be granted the title of samurai. He was a sailor, trader, and explorer, though, not a great warrior. He was in the Royal Navy and fought the Spanish Armada, which he has in common with Nioh William. And the ship names are all real, as is the fact that the Liefde--the ship William was on--was the only one to reach Japan of the whole expedition. The expedition was for the Dutch East India Company, though, and the purpose was trade, not battle. Tokugawa Ieyasu employed Adams as his interpreter and chief trade advisor, which is how he was granted the title of samurai.

Nioh William is Irish and a badass warrior guy, and apparently used to be a pirate, so he's very loosely based on the real William Adams. Many of the other characters are loosely based on real people, too, including Edward Kelley (the villainous sorcerer guy) and Yasuke, the first African samurai. And I'm pretty sure almost all of the Japanese characters are based on real people.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 9, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

There's a shrine I can't pray at because some idiot got themselves killed right in front of it so the only option is to summon them

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Break an enemy's guard and then press guard (L1 by default) and you'll knock them down.

And breaking guard is when you hit a blocking enemy repeatedly until...?

I assume it's related to/is buffed by the break stat of weapons?

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
Huh it's randomly not letting me use my guardian spirit talisman at all in this bat boss fight. It works like every other time. What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

And breaking guard is when you hit a blocking enemy repeatedly until...?

I assume it's related to/is buffed by the break stat of weapons?

Until they run out of stamina

Doesn't work on oni that have purple stamina bars

And yeah, break is how much stamina they lose when you attack them and they guard it

small hendren posted:

Huh it's randomly not letting me use my guardian spirit talisman at all in this bat boss fight. It works like every other time. What the gently caress

Do you actually have the guardian spirit? If its at your bloodstain you can't use the talisman.

If you die when you have a bloodstain, the spirit returns, so that's probably it :v:

E: If you have a bloodstain and don't want to get it back, you can call it back at a shrine (but lose your amrita at the bloodstain) or you can use a summoner's candle. Or just go find your bloodstain before / as you fight the boss.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 9, 2017