Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

A life not knowing about the Desert Storm gameboy isn't a life worth living.

And it still worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Im starved for podcasts so I guess I'll give Waypoint a shot. I tried out Idle Weekend a lot, but I don't like the superhero junk they do at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Austin Walker is way smarter than I will ever be and I miss him dearly on GB. But I could see his style/approach not working all that well if not buoyed/balanced by the fun times being had by the other GB crew.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Just having some fun guys lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Invictus posted:

you don't like austin? why, because he's fun and you're not? :smugdog:

His articles about video games are way too socio-political, on video he laughs the same as everyone else

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

His articles about video games are way too socio-political

Oh nooooo we c...

Who cares

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Don't write about video games the wrong way.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Erata posted:

Im starved for podcasts so I guess I'll give Waypoint a shot. I tried out Idle Weekend a lot, but I don't like the superhero junk they do at all.

No don't!!

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ok I won't. That was a close one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

Oh nooooo we c...

Who cares

He asked why I don't like Austin Walker, what do you mean "who cares"

edit: granted I don't think it was a genuine question

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, if you have a problem when people talk about social issues with regard to, say, Battlefield Hardline, or Mafia III, or Ghost Recon, I don't think the problem is with Austin

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't know who this guy is but socioeconomic context is good

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

It was not. If people are writing about video games in a way that satisfies their intellectual curiosity and other people enjoy it, power to them. I'm not going to trash someone because they think about stories or characters a certain way. I like that people think about that just like I like that people really think about game design and pacing and other people really think about the art that goes into games and still others are really into the programming challenges. A ton of work goes into games so when fans really get into it and think about aspects of it, it's good in my opinion.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its okay to make fun of an article about pokemon loving and similar such articles, imo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, if you have a problem when people talk about social issues with regard to, say, Battlefield Hardline, or Mafia III, or Ghost Recon, I don't think the problem is with Austin

I don't have a problem with it, it's just not what I like to read in my free time. Games like Mafia 3 obviously want you to think about that stuff and Austin has decided that is his niche. What makes Waypoint bad to me is that they pair this introspection on society at large with "how would pokemon gently caress", two things that cannot coexist and be taken seriously imo

bloodychill posted:

It was not. If people are writing about video games in a way that satisfies their intellectual curiosity and other people enjoy it, power to them. I'm not going to trash someone because they think about stories or characters a certain way. I like that people think about that just like I like that people really think about game design and pacing and other people really think about the art that goes into games and still others are really into the programming challenges. A ton of work goes into games so when fans really get into it and think about aspects of it, it's good in my opinion.

Maybe I should have said "His articles about video games are way too socio-political for me" then because I wasn't trying to imply that it's bad to do so like people think I am

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
They're asking the difficult questions of gaming.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The only important question in gaming is, "is there a jump button?"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Erata posted:

They're asking the difficult questions of gaming.

I got your hard question right here.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I can only relate to complex social issues through the medium of videogames.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJacobs posted:

yeah it was more to say you're a goober than anything else

CJacobs posted:

I don't have a problem with it, it's just not what I like to read in my free time. Games like Mafia 3 obviously want you to think about that stuff and Austin has decided that is his niche. What makes Waypoint bad to me is that they pair this introspection on society at large with "how would pokemon gently caress", two things that cannot coexist and be taken seriously imo
you cannot have seriousness as well as tongue in cheek on the same website. that is heresy

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MMF Freeway posted:

Its okay to make fun of an article about pokemon loving and similar such articles, imo

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

bloodychill posted:

I got your hard question right here.

Holiday 2017 or Spring 2018? :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the strategy with the lovely pokemon loving articles and the like is probably to lure in randoms using clickbaity bullshit and hope they actually stick around for the "smart" stuff I wager

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Invictus posted:

you cannot have seriousness as well as tongue in cheek on the same website. that is heresy

To some extent you can, but the line probably should be drawn somewhere short of "what if there was a video game high school a la my favorite fanfiction.net story, also game of the year or something w/e"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

also the waypoint high stuff was :whitewater:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I hope the people in your life are not either all serious or all frivolous. No one sets out saying "I am going to be a serious political theorist and will never talk about anything fun again"

CJacobs posted:

Maybe I should have said "His articles about video games are way too socio-political for me" then because I wasn't trying to imply that it's bad to do so like people think I am

You literally said

CJacobs posted:

Waypoint is really bad.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Waypoints are bad.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Waiting on some game theory articles about Mario not being a human.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MMF Freeway posted:

You can post about dota here if you want I know all about dota.

Wir sitten har in venten och spelan litte dota

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Erata posted:

Check out Waypoint's sister site Motherboard for your needs!
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/super-mario-isnt-a-human-being-5886b7609848b145c38b46eb

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Erata posted:

The important part is if Mario will have a human girlfriend in New Donk City.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You literally said

I said that because it is. They very poorly mesh two totally different worlds of journalism together. The people running the site don't know what they want it to be, or at least it seems that way to me as an outside observer. Which is a different statement about a different subject than the first thing you quoted

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Wir sitten har in venten och spelan litte dota

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Surprised there havent been more novelty songs about playing video games

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Check out Waypoint's sister site Motherboard for your needs!
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/super-mario-isnt-a-human-being

What they've failed to also realize is that K Rool and the Donk Dynasty were in cahoots all along. Games journalism is a joke.

bloodychill posted:

The important part is if Mario will have a human girlfriend in New Donk City.

If Mario dies in the storyline, then yes. Kiss of life stuff in the final battle.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

In Training posted:

Surprised there havent been more novelty songs about playing video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O57jr1oZDIw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lmfao Cool

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I said that because it is. They very poorly mesh two totally different worlds of journalism together. The people running the site don't know what they want it to be, or at least it seems that way to me as an outside observer. Which is a different statement about a different subject than the first thing you quoted

Fair enough, and that's not an unreasonable argument. I mean, some of the end-of-year stuff wasn't my bag, but I respect that there are people who are really into the fandom aspect and they loved it, so it's good they have a venue -- it was only a week, anyway. But for a site that's four months old and run by an EIC with... oh, four month's experience running a site, they're doing a pretty good job in my book. The streams (launch and continuing) and podcasts have made them a net positive in the world

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

God I hate kids who only play DPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

oddium posted:

also the waypoint high stuff was :whitewater:
sounds like you're just an old man, old man. Should I get your... WALKER for you?

• Locked thread