Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Play posted:

please, i beg you, stop this madness

i played this game once and my girlfriend pushed me, I slipped and hit my head on the soap holder. she then told me that if I ever did that again some night I would wake up to her sitting on my face and pissing in my open mouth

So, how did it taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

[Personal issues] I [20F] can't trust my friends if they watch anime

Not sure I see what the issue is here, sounds like a pretty solid policy to me.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

everyone shush about app permissions, have some gift dilemmas just in time for valentine's

quote:

I (17F) think I have the ring that was promised to my cousin (28?F)

I was looking through my jewelry box at the table and my mom came through. I showed her a ring my grandma gave me over the summer and was like, "I love this and it fits me perfectly! Whatever this is its my exact size."

My mom gets this look and is like, "That's not the ring "Amy" was supposed to get, is it?"

I think it is. I gave no thought to it when I got it and it hasn't occurred to me all the times I've heard this story, but the story is that my late great grandmother promised Amy a gold and amethyst ring, but since she was so out of control (on drugs and stealing and stuff) when Great Grandma passed that no one wanted to give Amy the ring so my grandma just kept it all this time. Keep in mind this has been since 2002 and when all of this went down I was a toddler so it's not like I was there to remember it.

But I kind feel bad. If this is the ring, Amy has been trying to get it for 10+ years now and it's widely believed in my family that since she's cleaned up her act she should get it - except for grandma, who has permanently demonized her for getting pregnant at 18 and stealing and doing drugs. But at the same time Great Grandma was the original owner and wanted Amy to have it. I have other family jewelry whereas Amy lost or sold a lot of things.
It just so happens she is supposed to be visiting next weekend. My mom says it's up to me, and I'm not sure what to do here. Should I give it to her or just be quiet? I'm not 100% sure it's the ring. It may be a different one but I know it was my great grandmother's, it appears to be gold and have an amethyst stone.

TLDR: My cousin was promised a ring by my great grandmother. When she passed, my cousin was kind of a mess so grandma kept it. I think it was given to me over the summer and I don't know if I should give it to her or not.

quote:

My [42 F] boyfriend [50 M] bought me a SUV, I already have a car, can I trade both in for a different car without being rude?

I know this is a great gift, but I have a car, and I'm going to have to pay to get the title and insurance on this gift. I could ask him to pay for that part, but he has done enough, so I will take care of it.

I live near a big city, so parking a vehicle can be a nightmare for one vehicle, let alone two. Where I live now parking isn't a problem, but I will be moving into the city soon. I just don't want to have to pay for insurance on two autos or pay for extra parking. Parking spots are almost impossible to get in the city I will be moving to; to have one of your own is a dream, to have two is just about unheard of. Certainly in the price range of places I will be moving to. (Washington DC, if it helps)

I really like my car, it has an automatic starter, free satellite radio for life, and it is awesome on gas, runs like a dream, etc. My boyfriend feels like I needed an SUV to handle winter weather, so he surprised me by getting me one. My car is actually really great on the snow, which is something I have told him when he's asked about it. Plus, I'm from up north, so I learned to drive on the snow.

My thing is, I feel like it would make more sense for me to sell both autos and get a brand new car, but I am not sure if that would be rude.
How long should I keep both autos? How long would you want a person to keep a vehicle you gave them before selling it? He is so nice that he would never tell me not to sell it.

Just thought of something new. My ex gave me the car I now drive, so that could be another reason my current boyfriend wants me to get rid of it, and why he bought me a new vehicle. Yes, I know I have been very lucky to be given so many autos.

tl;dr: Boyfriend bought me an SUV. I'm worried about paying for insurance on it and parking fees. Also, I would like to trade my car and this SUV in for a brand new car. Would that be a jerk move?

quote:

My (23M) incredible girlfriend (25F) just gave me my valentine's day gift early and I feel like poo poo

My girlfriend is amazing. I am in love with her and I honestly hope to marry her one day...but she gives me way too much stuff.

She shows her love through many things but one of her favorites is gift giving. I'm a gift giver myself but she takes things to an entirely different level.
My girlfriend comes from a ridiculously wealthy family and she gives everyone in her life lavish gifts. I've talked to her about how she doesn't have to give me so much stuff (I'm talkin' 300 dollar cologne set just because).

Yet today she calls me over to her parent's house and there she has a surprise valentine's day gift she couldn't wait to give me. I won't say what it was but this was A multiple thousand dollar purchase.

I got her a purse.
[From comments: With this purse I noticed her looking at it on her phone a few months ago. But I will put more effort into noticing more things about her like that.]

I feel like poo poo because I can't keep up with this. That, and I just don't feel right accepting so much from her. I just want her time. Don't buy me poo poo, but watch stupid vine compilations with me and I'm the happiest guy on earth.

What do I do? I honestly love the gift but I'd have rather bought it on my own and I don't feel right accepting it.

tl;dr: My girlfriend bought me a gift that costs a ton of money and I don't feel right accepting it. What do I do?

My opinions:

1. Ask your grandma about the ring before mentioning it to your cousin;

2. Never get someone a car as a surprise!;

3. Just get thoughtful gifts like the purse and don't worry about matching the cost. She clearly just likes giving extravagant gifts to people and as long as you tell her you don't need them I think you're fine.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

In my experience, people who are being genuinely kind when they give extravagant gifts don't expect the same in return.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gluten Freeman posted:

everyone shush about app permissions, have some gift dilemmas just in time for valentine's

My opinions:

1. Ask your grandma about the ring before mentioning it to your cousin;

2. Never get someone a car as a surprise!;

1. Maybe they could make a copy of the ring?

2. She said she really likes her car and it runs well and it handles snow...Why does she even want to get a new car? Return the SUV and pocket the money, then :sever: because that seems like a really controlling guy.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

In my experience, people who are being genuinely kind when they give extravagant gifts don't expect the same in return.

Pretty much. I'm going all out on Valentine's Day for my girlfriend on silly little gifts plus a fairly nice piece of jewelry this year because I feel like it. But if she gets me some candy, a card, and a t-shirt or whatever, then I'll be very happy just getting a gift from her. It's about showing how much you care, not dropping hundreds on gifts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I've given relatively extravagant gifts (not cars, but five digits) and it would have appalled me to think that the recipient felt they had to reciprocate at the same dollar value

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Pretty much. I'm going all out on Valentine's Day for my girlfriend on silly little gifts plus a fairly nice piece of jewelry this year because I feel like it. But if she gets me some candy, a card, and a t-shirt or whatever, then I'll be very happy just getting a gift from her. It's about showing how much you care, not dropping hundreds on gifts.

Hm. Going to take this as a reminder to check in with my partner about expectations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I've given relatively extravagant gifts (not cars, but five digits) and it would have appalled me to think that the recipient felt they had to reciprocate at the same dollar value

:same:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

A lot of people do feel that they are expected to reciprocate, not necessarily by the other person, but just as a general principle. Likewise with matching if someone else is giving a gift. It's one of those things that everyone knows is kind of dumb, but deep seated guilt for things like that is hard to break.

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

Me [27F] with my boyfriend [28M] of 3 years, had his friend propose to me for him

quote:

My boyfriend (we'll call him John) and I recently went on a really nice trip together to Italy. It was really amazing and the entire time I was expecting him to propose. I've never felt so close to anyone else in my entire life, and we had had marriage discussions so I was expecting it. But then the trip came to an end and I found myself on the plane home still not engaged. I was disappointed but thought oh well it'll happen eventually.

Well it did... About a week after getting home, John invited me out to a party our friend was holding, we'll call him Peter. It was just a small friendly get together with some of John and Peters buddies, and I was having a good time and didn't think anything big was in the works. It was basically a barbecue party in Peters backyard with some music playing.

John and Peter at one point went indoors for a bit, then Peter came out and lowered the music and took my hand. Our friends were looking over at us wondering what was up, but John was still indoors. Then Peter got down on one knee and I poo poo you not brought out a ring and said, "'cowardlyproposal' will you marry John?" I stammered for a bit and said "Yes?" I began awkwardly laughing thinking it was some kind of joke, but then John came out with a big smile on his face and put the ring on my finger. I asked nervously "What's going on?" But John just said, "We're engaged now!" And everyone just sort of awkwardly followed him and Peter at celebrating it. I was so embarrassed but didn't want to make a scene in front of anyone.

Later that night, John excitedly asked for me to come to his for the night instead of him dropping me off back home. But after getting in the car, I just burst out crying. I asked him if he was serious and why did he have Peter propose in Peters backyard no less, even after we had that trip in Italy together! John pulled off the road and tried to calm me. He kept dodging my questions, but eventually just said he was nervous. I told him to drive me home.

Later at home, I called up Peter and asked him what the deal was. Peter apologized and said John had been begging him to do this favor for him. That he chickened out when in Italy and thought that if he couldn't do it then, he wouldn't be able to at all. Peter said he declined several times, but John insisted and offered to pay Peter 75 dollars to do so, so he gave in. I could not believe what I was hearing.

What am I supposed to think or do now? I love John, I felt I had the perfect man, so what the hell? Am I overreacting? John has been texting and trying to call me since I've been home. I'd answer but I just don't have any words right now.

tl;dr: My boyfriend proposed to me through a friend. I found out he paid his friend 75 dollars to so it because he was too nervous to do it himself. It embarrassed me in front of all his friends.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Ahahaha what a weiner oh my god hahahaha

Have brave Peter's baby, his courageous genes will greatly benefit your first born.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Being unable to propose is definitely not a red flag and auspicious of any future issues at all.

Subjunctive posted:

Ive refused a gift due to this concern. I do not care if the amount spent or what I send back has no importance to you, I can neither guarantee thats actually true and I cant avoid other people judging me for how I reciprocate.

Edit: To clarify the individual wasnt family or a close personal friend.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Ive refused a gift due to this concern.

:argh:

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

OP should tell her boyfriend that when Peter was on one knee with a ring in her hand, she thought he was actually proposing and it brought up feelings she didn't know she had for him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
refusing a gift is for hitlers. people like u are why i have to be like "oohhhh teehee it's no problem, i just found these ferragamos hanging out by the trash, and i was like, oh my god, are those your exact shape and size??? lol it's not even really a gift, im saving landfill space. oh and here's the box too, and some sort of gift receipt in case the stupid idiot who threw these in the garbage had the wrong size feet"

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
The League of lovely Boyfriends strikes yet again!

quote:

Boyfriend 30M of 2.5 years, avoiding our (27F) favorite dinner spot, and not going to a movie. This also conveniently happens to be when a girl he's been chatting with on Facebook is going to dinner/movie. Am I totally crazy? Infidelity
submitted 5 months ago * by uhhhishecheating

Wow this is a doozy. Sorry the title is kind of a doozy, I'm feeling a little bit crazy and I need to be talked away from the hypothetical crazy ledge.

My boyfriend really likes Facebook. I have had no reason to not trust him 100% with it. He's definitely a like every photo/status kind of guy and just thinks that it is fun. I don't have a facebook, and my presence on his is nonexistent besides the mention of fun things we are doing here and there. I realize now that I could easily be mistaken for a friend/sister/cousin/etc.

About 3 months ago, I got tipped off from a friend that he had been a little flirty with a girl on Facebook. I did a quick cyber stalk of her and she was gorgeous, and I noticed instead of the typical like he had been "loving" and "wowing" her pictures. I called him and told him I felt a little bit crazy, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any funny business. He assured me he is just being nice, and they've never met (she is a friend of a friend apparently?) and it is no different then me upvoting something on Reddit. They had messaged a few times but it was totally innocent and looks any flirtations were nonexistent. Ok, I dropped it, but my spidey senses told me to bookmark it, instead of completely discard the thought of her forever.

A new movie is coming out tonight, and conveniently our favorite dive bar/dinner spot is RIGHT across from the movie theater. We just have to walk a few feet or so and there we are. We have both been stoked for his movie, and talking up our date night ALL week.

I was going into a work meeting and texted him "Hey I'll probably be tied up till after 5, so i'll see you at name of place at 7!"

He texts me back (verbatim, to show how weird this was). "Hey umm is there somewhere else?"

I don't know what it was, but after a few months of not even thinking of this mysterious facebook enigma, something shouted at me to look at her profile. Her profile is absolutely 100% open, there is no privacy. She geotagged how excited she was to see the movie and go to the bar. Hmm....Ok that is a little convenient. Did a little more digging, he's loved even more of her pictures.

Shortly after, he asks if we can just have a night in (which is weird, because my place is being remodeled and the only access at my house is the bathroom and bedroom, and he just had his fumigated and is staying at his moms). I'm like where da fuh are we staying in at?? I have already bought the movie tickets and I told him that I didn't want them to go to waste so to please come we can go eat at another nearby place.

I just think this is all awfully convenient. Am I being a total loon in thinking he doesn't want his girlfriend and side piece running into each other at the movie/dinner?

Update!!!: first of all, you guys rock. It is nice to have an army of wonderful Internet friends. So long story short. After the movie I went to the bathroom and Facebook girl was also in there. I told her I loved her hair and then we were just girl chatting, and I was chatting with her out of the door where my boyfriend was waiting for me. He looked like he was going to faint. I was like "babe! Meet my new friend!" He was cheating on me with her. They had been having sex for a few months, and he said he was just in a casual relationship with me. Right a casual relationship with a house being built and joint finances???? Good hell. She told me since I have fake boobs I just wasn't enough for him and that was her justification for being ok with it, because I have fake boobs. It was weird like she knew who I was when we were chatting in the bathroom. So no drat girl power there. He didn't even seem sorry, which sucked because he really was my best friend. I don't make a lot of friends since I'm a trauma nurse and just don't get out much. I'm really sad, and feeling really stressed out and just broken. I also feel yucky, I'll get checked for STIS and all that jazz on monday. Time to fix this heartbreak. I took the weekend off of work. Ugh this sucks. Thanks guys you are all so wonderful and encouraging!

tl;dr: SO avoiding our date because Facebook girl is going to same spots tonight. This is weird?

I'm beginning to think that dating people older than you is bad. Also dating people younger than you is equally bad. Also dating people exactly your age is double bad.

I think dating is bad, you guys.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

refusing a gift is for hitlers. people like u are why i have to be like "oohhhh teehee it's no problem, i just found these ferragamos hanging out by the trash, and i was like, oh my god, are those your exact shape and size??? lol it's not even really a gift, im saving landfill space. oh and here's the box too, and some sort of gift receipt in case the stupid idiot who threw these in the garbage had the wrong size feet"

Yup. It doesn't matter if it's a $30 novelty necklace from Kohl's or a beautiful $600 24k gold necklace. Refusing that gift is really lovely for any reason whatsoever and just makes the giver feel like an idiot. People who refuse gifts are the worst.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Are people just posting repeats from early in the thread? I can swear I've seen these last two stories before, the friend proposing and the shady dude avoiding the spots.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I love this thread it makes me realize how much of an amazing person I am, and that I am with.. and no matter what there will be someone out there for me because I'd these poo poo stains can carry on relationships then I should have no problem.

I'm starting to think like an incel :murder: all these chads.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tater_salad posted:

I love this thread it makes me realize how much of an amazing person I am, and that I am with.. and no matter what there will be someone out there for me because I'd these poo poo stains can carry on relationships then I should have no problem.

On the other hand, what if they have relationships and you don't? What does that say about you then, huh?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

tater_salad posted:

yeah earlier my wife and I were discussing what to have for dinner and we settled on something that sounded good to both of us. I never thought I'd read a thread that made that seem like a monumental achievement in our relationship.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Are people just posting repeats from early in the thread? I can swear I've seen these last two stories before, the friend proposing and the shady dude avoiding the spots.

All of this fuckery has happened before, and all of this fuckery will happen again, friend.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Pick posted:

The only good reason to reject a gift is if you know the gifter will try to use it to manipulate you later.

A distant aunt that I had never met before came to my wedding and brought me a hat (I mentioned I liked hats) and was upset that I didn't wear the hat during the ceremony. (I had no idea she wanted me to and already had a small veil bought by my bridesmaid!).

She was very bossy and rude to everyone, so I felt that she didn't bring the gifts out of the kindness of her heart, but more to show off how much money she had as a rich New Yorker while visiting rural Alberta.

I appreciated the heirloom spoons and jewelry she gave me though (they were my great grandmother's). She also gave me some of her old clothes, a lace bible cover(?) and a white nightgown and panties (for my wedding night). I'm just glad that she lives on the other side of the continent and I will likely never have to see her again. I could definitely see her being all "You need to to me this favour because I bought you that nice thing. Just give it back if you hate me so much!"

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Nessa posted:

A distant aunt that I had never met before came to my wedding and brought me a hat (I mentioned I liked hats) and was upset that I didn't wear the hat during the ceremony. (I had no idea she wanted me to and already had a small veil bought by my bridesmaid!).

My mother-in-law did this but with weird homemade indian wedding flower headbands. She has this weird idea that my wife is fascinated with India. Got real mad when we were like "okaaaaay we're not wearing those you crazy bitch"

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

My mother-in-law did this but with weird homemade indian wedding flower headbands. She has this weird idea that my wife is fascinated with India. Got real mad when we were like "okaaaaay we're not wearing those you crazy bitch"

It's a shame when things like that are not discussed beforehand.

My mom is a terribly generous gift giver, and for the most part, her gifts are good. She'll bring me foods like lefse, flatbread and homemade krumkake and recently bought some Blue Willow plates at a secondhand store for me, since she knows I love the pattern.

Christmas can be a bit of an overload though. One year she got me a ton of new clothes, but all were too small for me, or simply not my style. I felt really bad about it, but she said they were from a store liquidation sale, so it was no problem to donate them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I love this thread because it really puts into perspective how small and cute all the problems my girlfriend and I have.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I love this thread because it really puts into perspective how small and cute all the problems my girlfriend and I have.

:same:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Guys

Anime... Is good

Let's not say absurd things just to try and derail the derail OK?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

"reading r/relationships is fun and sure does make me appreciate my good and secure relationship" he thought to himself as he drove home from work two hours early, before unexpectedly walking in on his girlfriend taking a dick blast to the tits from that guy who was 'just an old friend' from Facebook

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

toiletbrush posted:

"reading r/relationships is fun and sure does make me appreciate my good and secure relationship" he thought to himself as he drove home from work two hours early, before unexpectedly walking in on his girlfriend taking a dick blast to the tits from that guy who was 'just an old friend' from Facebook

Don't kinkshame please

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Are there any relationship stories about those non-homeless people that like to eat out of dumpsters? I think they're called Freegans?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Let's not say absurd things just to try and derail the derail OK?

Sorry but Lupin III is too good to not speak up.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Anime is like porn. Most of it is gross and bad, a small fraction is interesting and good, the self-identified fans of it are best avoided.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
apparently theres some really attractive girl who's a friend of a friend of mine that seems to be interested in me. my buddy is trying to get us to meet and see if anything clicks.

but she watches anime and i just know i'm going to have to overcome this mental block if anything is to happen. and also avoid telling her what i usually think about people who watch anime (i dont like them)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I tend to think of anime as pretty medium neutral with the same general spread of terrible-meh-good as pretty much everything else.

In my head I pretty much throw people who strongly insist that anime is poison into the same bin as people who self-identify as anime fans

Like, if you occasionally partake or if you don't that's fine or whatever. But if you have strong opinions about it one way or the other then please keep walking sir.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah if your surgeon starts asking you your favorite Dragonball Z character as you go under please tell me you're not going to start clawing at your IV trying to prevent yourself from passing out

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I searched for Anime on /r/relationships to determine once and for all whether anime is good or bad

quote:

My (30M) girlfriend's (24F) anime-geek friends (M29-34) drive me crazy and frankly, I want to beat them

So I'm kind of a nerd but not really in an obvious way. I don't have any nerd pride and I show it off to other people. I just so happen to like lots of nerdy things and kind of go off the mainstream quite a bit in terms of my interests, however I'd say that I as well as most of my friends were within the spectrum of 'normal' insofar that we didn't behave in such a way as to draw negative attention to ourselves.

My girlfriend is equally nerdy I'd say but she kind of branches off in a different direction. She likes Japanese stuff like anime, Nintendo, RPGs and so forth. I'm more of a sci-fi/science/history nerd. We've always overlapped enough that it hasn't been a problem and I've done/watched a lot of things she likes and vice versa. To be honest I find a lot of the stuff she enjoys to be a bit on the childish side (which I'll get to) and she knows this, however I've never judged her for it really and I just assume "different strokes for different folks". Lots of people like stuff I don't. I should also add that my girlfriend was 240lbs up until she was 21 and I used to be heavy as well. Now she's 155lbs (was 125 but I'll get to that later), I'm 150lbs and we both look great compared to how we were. I think this explains a lot.

Now the problem: we moved to a new city together and I bought a condo downtown. In one of the neighbouring apartment blocks lives a bunch of guys that all work together at a nearby Wal-Mart. They're all huge anime geeks, way moreso than her, so she spends a lot of time with them. Before I met them and she was just going over there I was a bit jealous but then I met them and realized I had nothing to worry about (think smelly, fat Napoleon Dynamites). My girlfriend is a very attractive girl but in her head I think she still thinks she's 200+lbs and unattractive which is why she makes the social choices she does. The problem is that I feel these guys are really going to drag her down.

The first thing is that they all work at Wal-Mart and room together which means they're perpetually broke. They don't beg for money that often but they have asked her before and some are paying it back in installments. It's almost always money for a video game or cards or a something for a cosplay outfit or an old console thing etc. Once it was even weird porn. I don't look down on people that work at Wal-Mart or anything but the way I see it is that they let their hobbies (hobbies which frankly I do look down on) overtake other aspects of their lives like their work. My parents give me a hard time about not moving forward enough and I make $60,000 a year. These guys make less than $20,000 a year (each) and live on ramen, pizza, junk food and spaghetti like I did when I was 18 and couldn't cook. They also don't take care of themselves at all (their apartment is so disgusting I don't even like stepping in the doorway). Big Bang Theory is a lie.

That's not the really bad part though. I could honestly get over the other stuff. It's when they talk that they bother me so much. Lately my girlfriend has been inviting them over, sometimes with other people they met in cosplay events (yes, seriously). Once they brought someone over who looked suspiciously young and I asked my girlfriend how old they were the next day, she said they were sixteen yet everyone was drinking well into the night with this kid there (who didn't drink fortunately). I got really mad because there are so many things wrong with a 24 year old and a bunch of people in their 20s/30s drinking and hanging out with someone who is sixteen yet no one seemed to understand why I had a problem with this as the kid is part of their group or whatever.

Anyway, when they're here they play video games, watch anime cartoons, drink, play board games and what not. I'm always 'invited' but never feel welcome (I'm sure they think I'm 'sheeple' or something). One night I was out with my friends, came home drunk to four of them with my girlfriend watching yet another anime. One of them asked me to join them, I said "it's not my thing, sorry", my girlfriend said "remember he thinks we're childish" and that sparked the first confrontation where we all learned that we hated each other. It went into them arguing about the merits of the anime they were watching, then their costumes, video games etc. as I started attacking all of it. My girlfriend went into our bedroom for most of this. I said the reason they liked this stuff so much is because they didn't do anything after high school (referring to university) like I did and wouldn't know what real cinema/art was if it jumped up and bit them on the rear end. I also said that they're the product of being coddled too much not having their asses kicked enough and I said that if they don't start growing up they're going to geek out until they all have heart attacks. My girlfriend heard about this after the fact and it cut into our relationship pretty deep. She was all about the three word sentences for the next week until I fired off an email to one of the guys apologizing for going over the top. Even then she was cold for awhile.

The last straw was when I went to a 'cosplay thing' (as I call it) with my girlfriend who was dressed up along with these guys, all as video game/anime characters. I was dressed up as awkward/embarrassed man who was there because of his girlfriend. During the convention I was fine because everyone else was dressed up but afterwards we drove back to our part of town where there are no people in costumes and they wanted to play outside while being dressed up which I ended up having to chaperon. I was so embarrassed to be seen with them that I tried to stand far enough away from them that I could protect them from getting beaten up yet not be seen as part of the group. If I saw someone I knew it would be mortifying and I wouldn't know how to explain it. I'm 30 for gently caress sakes. Luckily I didn't see anyone I knew but my girlfriend was pissed off at me for walking five feet apart from them all the time. At one point they started re-enacting something on the street by putting their hands up and yelling something in Japanese and then doing a weird little dance or karate thing (I honestly don't know). After about 150 dirty looks and twenty "you loving faggots!" later I whispered to my girlfriend that I couldn't be around these guys unless they "grew the gently caress up" and told her to come meet me at the coffee shop nearby when they were done. I've never had that much pissed off'edness in my voice before.

There are other things but these pretty much sum it all up. Keep in mind that aside from this--my girlfriend and I are totally fine. It's just that when she's with these guys, she's a different person. No costumes and no weird poo poo. It's like it's all confined to these guys which would be good if they were more down to earth (then hey--maybe I'd join in when they asked).

The thing is, when it comes to these guys and these hobbies/obsessions/autism whatever, she gives me zero inches in terms of how much credibility she gives to my arguments. She thinks I'm nuts and that any other person would be 100% okay with it. Her friends all echo this opinion (of course). I know they're trying to get her to break up with me so they can have me gone and if we didn't get along so well together when we were alone, then we would've broken up awhile ago. My friends on the other hand are the exact opposite and think I should break up with her and throw her friends off the balcony. It's really touchy.

Lastly, and this isn't something I'm shallow enough to get too bent out of shape over but she's gained about 30 pounds back since hanging out with them. She lost so much weight and did so well but since she spends half her time with them and half her time with me, she spends half her time eating nothing but potato chips and pizza. It's got to the point where I actually pointed it out and said that if she didn't stop mirroring them in this one aspect that she was going to be right back where she was in about a year. She has been working on it but it's understandably hard with all the pressure they inadvertently put on her to basically be like them. My friends and I go hiking and play paintball on weekends as well as lots of other outdoorsy stuff but I think the only way she'll go is if her friends go and they would never go (yes I did invite the whole lot of them). I tried to get her to get a job too but that will never happen because her parents send her a lot of money every month so she doesn't have to work and it's more money than she would ever get from any job she is qualified to do.

Am I crazy? I got beaten up a lot in high school for being the slightest bit nerdy and I've tidied up a lot since then. These guys took it to an extreme I wouldn't even have dreamed of and didn't have it beaten out of them? How is this fair? Why don't people beat the poo poo out of them? Why am I losing my girlfriend to this? I don't know what to do. I kind of think that my girlfriend takes things way too far and that if I don't really step in and balance things out, in a tactful way of course, she's going to go right off the edge with these guys.

tl;dr: I'm losing my girlfriend to a bunch of guys who think dressing up like video game characters and basing their whole lives around these kinds of hobbies is an okay thing to do, to the extent that their physical health and working life is sacrificed. The more my girlfriend hangs out with them the more I'm worried that she's going to become them (she already is in some ways). Who is in the wrong here and at what point do I just walk away?

verdict- anime bad

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmfao at all of that

she must be really hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah if your surgeon starts asking you your favorite Dragonball Z character as you go under please tell me you're not going to start clawing at your IV trying to prevent yourself from passing out

I don't know why the surgeon would need to ask when it's obviously Hercule