Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is it still crowdsourcing funding when you sourced your crowd 5 years ago and there's no significant growth in playerbase since?

It's whatever they want it to be at the time

Crowdfunded indie dev's working day and night, wont someone please think of the children!

*peels out in limited edition porsche*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chunjee posted:

Archive my internet connection too

Download: CIG is running a scam
Uploading: SC is hosed thanks to Chris
Ping: Get a refund.

That sounds like good internet, how much do you pay?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Meanwhile, in Canada, everyone offers the same thing at the same price. (This is not as good as it sounds)

FUD! , there are small companies that try to offer better prices (and get hosed in the rear end by Bell playing dirty)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CrazyTolradi posted:

US internet is really hit and mess I've been told, largely because of how the various providers agree not to compete in areas and just provide whatever they want for a lovely price.

Yeah, I pay just over $80 for that and VoIP phone service. Might be slow, but it is REALLY much more reliable than Comcast. Now, if I could just get a decent router, I could kick this gateway into cascaded mode and have a much better layout.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

trucutru posted:

FUD! , there are small companies that try to offer better prices (and get hosed in the rear end by Bell playing dirty)

I felt that "Big Telecom fucks over the little guy and its customers" kinda went without saying

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

:smithicide:

Humility, is that you?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

"You don't need to know anything about game development to pick apart anything Derek Smart has ever done"

"You don't even understand game development and that's why you can't criticise Star Citizen at all!"

:smuggo:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is a great statement! Especially the part about being better than a "professional".

I, like apparently many others here, work in real actual software development. It's this professional, real work experience, not pretend armchair "lol video game development" bullshit, that has lead myself and countless others to the same conclusion about CIG and Star Citizen.

I keep getting this feeling that the guys really really fighting hard to convince people that CIG is perfect and there are no problems are people that haven't worked much. Even basic jobs at the bare minimum you get to learn "good" vs "bad" leadership types and habits, and can take this knowledge and see what other people are doing.

As for actual developers... well, they haven't met a single milestone, they are years into the project with virtually nothing to show for it, no vertical slice, mismanagement of basic priorities on what order to work on the components, all we hear is "what we think we are going to do is...", and probably worst of all they've thrown away their schedules and and already blown past their release dates by very huge margins.

You can say "haha that Chris Roberts is just sooo bad with dates," until you're blue in the face.

He's also bad with keeping on track and managing expectations. "Haha such a kidder wants to do everything."

He also is bad with releasing quality products for what he does put out. "He only releases the best... uh... except for everything so far..."

He also can't release on time. "Oh but 3.0 is really happening because uh..."

He also never releases what he says will be released. "3.0 won't just be more poo poo bug fixes, it will totally be a game changer like patch uh... um... that one patch."

Good luck with thinking that everybody else is just stupid, as opposed to seeing reality for what it is. No amount of good intentions will save this game from being hugely beneath its promises. No amount of claiming the whole world "doesn't get it" will suddenly make CIG be a competent game studio. Just keep on ignoring professional opinions in favor of crazy and senseless "well they're dumb! Their goonies and... dumb!"

I'd love to see Star Citizen succeed like anybody else. You read off the huge laundry list of promises and it sounds too good to be true. And you know what? It is. It's never going to be 1/10 of its promises. Or are you still loving stupid enough to think you're going to be playing literal Command and Conquer from the bridge of your fully manned carrier while giving orders to hundreds of players in massive fleet battles while somebody is mixing you a Fuzzy Roberts and somebody else is mining in the cave of a sandworm while sneaking past tusken raiders, all in seamless twitch based MMO gameplay the likes of which never existed because the networked computers can't currently support it fast enough? And that's not even a tiny loving ounce of what's been promised.

It's not a case of "nobody tried to be this ambitious before so get out of the way". It's a case where somebody who doesn't understand reality is thinking they can reinvent how gaming is handled who doesn't even have a John Carmack on staff, much less a CEO who is aware of the past 15 years of advancements.

And no, the loving <12 player arena shooter is not groundwork for an MMO. That's not how an MMO is built at all. You don't just keep fighting to add another player slot in your poo poo server before it suddenly turns into a 100+ player simultaneous MMO game. Everything they are working on right now, outside of animation and models and concepts, is totally worthless to the end goal MMO game. Even basic stuff like shooting a weapon is going to be totally different between an MMO and a set player server based arena game.

Yes, that pretty much means Star Citizen hasn't even begun development yet. Sorry.

But what has begun development and may be nearly complete is the MVP which will not be an MMO. Your wasted money on ships will not make you the next Eve superhero. It will make you king of your ten player server instance. Have fun with that.

Good luck fighting for the impossible, friend! :chloe:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

trucutru posted:

I was with Teksavvy for the longest time, because they're usually cheaper than the big guys, and offer unlimited usage

Plus their customer service is great

When I moved I discovered my new building had a 1 year ban from using anyone BUT Rogers, they made a deal with the devil to offer FTTH

I can't wait until the ban is up so I can switch back

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sappo569 posted:

I was with Teksavvy for the longest time, because they're usually cheaper than the big guys, and offer unlimited usage

When I moved I discovered my new building had a 1 year ban from using anyone BUT Rogers, they made a deal with the devil to offer FTTH

Teksavvy uses Rogers' lines iirc

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

This is a great statement! Especially the part about being better than a "professional".

I, like apparently many others here, work in real actual software development. It's this professional, real work experience, not pretend armchair "lol video game development" bullshit, that has lead myself and countless others to the same conclusion about CIG and Star Citizen.

I keep getting this feeling that the guys really really fighting hard to convince people that CIG is perfect and there are no problems are people that haven't worked much. Even basic jobs at the bare minimum you get to learn "good" vs "bad" leadership types and habits, and can take this knowledge and see what other people are doing.

As for actual developers... well, they haven't met a single milestone, they are years into the project with virtually nothing to show for it, no vertical slice, mismanagement of basic priorities on what order to work on the components, all we hear is "what we think we are going to do is...", and probably worst of all they've thrown away their schedules and and already blown past their release dates by very huge margins.

You can say "haha that Chris Roberts is just sooo bad with dates," until you're blue in the face.

He's also bad with keeping on track and managing expectations. "Haha such a kidder wants to do everything."

He also is bad with releasing quality products for what he does put out. "He only releases the best... uh... except for everything so far..."

He also never releases what he says will be released. "3.0 won't just be more poo poo bug fixes, it will totally be a game changer like patch uh... um... that one patch."

Good luck with thinking that everybody else is just stupid, as opposed to seeing reality for what it is. No amount of good intentions will save this game from being hugely beneath its promises. No amount of claiming the whole world "doesn't get it" will suddenly make CIG be a competent game studio. Just keep on ignoring professional opinions in favor of crazy and senseless "well they're dumb! Their goonies and... dumb!"

I'd love to see Star Citizen succeed like anybody else. You read off the huge laundry list of promises and it sounds too good to be true. And you know what? It is. It's never going to be 1/10 of its promises. Or are you still loving stupid enough to think you're going to be playing literal Command and Conquer from the bridge of your fully manned carrier while giving orders to hundreds of players in massive fleet battles while somebody is mixing you a Fuzzy Roberts and somebody else is mining in the cave of a sandworm while sneaking past tusken raiders, all in seamless twitch based MMO gameplay the likes of which never existed because the networked computers can't currently support it fast enough? And that's not even a tiny loving ounce of what's been promised.

It's not a case of "nobody tried to be this ambitious before so get out of the way". It's a case where somebody who doesn't understand reality is thinking they can reinvent how gaming is handled who doesn't even have a John Carmack on staff, much less a CEO who is aware of the past 15 years of advancements.

And no, the loving <12 player arena shooter is not groundwork for an MMO. That's not how an MMO is built at all. You don't just keep fighting to add another player slot in your poo poo server before it suddenly turns into a 100+ player simultaneous MMO game. Everything they are working on right now, outside of animation and models and concepts, is totally worthless to the end goal MMO game. Even basic stuff like shooting a weapon is going to be totally different between an MMO and a set player server based arena game.

Yes, that pretty much means Star Citizen hasn't even begun development yet. Sorry.

But what has begun development and may be nearly complete is the MVP which will not be an MMO. Your wasted money on ships will not make you the next Eve superhero. It will make you king of your ten player server instance. Have fun with that.

Ummmm, erm... WHAT SHE SAID! (Not to mention, as I proved above with the Speedtest results, even if the game DID exist and had half those features, a large portion of the American people would not have a pipe big enough to be able to push those bytes through it. That is a metric FUCKTON of updates.)

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5tjf24/if_30_is_a_long_ways_off_would_you_be_happy_with/ddn2bkq/

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Colostomy Bag posted:

All these speedtests reminds me of that nutball that actually tried to download SC at work and was paid a visit for taking the network down.

It was a game journalist trying to review the demo.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Teksavvy uses Rogers' lines iirc

Correct, but my reasons why they're better than Rogers still stand

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

What plan? lol

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is another great one. It's loving raining tonight.

"Continue to communicate"??? Seriously???

Communicate what? Lies? Nothing they say is truthful. Their open communication is a buzzword for "marketing approach". It's not open at all.

Find 4 backers who know how mining will work and all agree.

Find 4 who know exactly how trading will work.

Find 3 who agree how LTI will function.

Find 2 who know how much ships will cost for in game money.

gently caress: find 2 who know what will be in 3.0 guaranteed and have them back it up by giving posts where they said exactly what was in the previous releases as well; because CIG is going to tell you "it's all ready to go!!!" Until 19 hours before hand when suddenly everything changes and it turns out they were nowhere near anything at all and knew the whole time.

If you can't do the above (don't even worry about the 3.0 thing), consider to yourself how much of Chris Roberts dick you're currently choking on and consider also pulling your mouth off of it long enough to recover your oxygen meter and realize your open development is a loving lie.

You don't know what's being worked on.

You don't know what's coming or when.

You don't know how basic gameplay is even going to function.

gently caress you if you use the term "open development" or "communication" in relation to CIG or Star Citizen and you don't really mean "marketing and lies".

It's late and I'm tired. My rant is over! :shobon:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

I tried to get Teksavvy but found out that my humble abode is just outside not one but 2 of their areas of service. Seriously, there are these 2 circles that almost overlap in a single point and that point is my place.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sappo569 posted:

Correct, but my reasons why they're better than Rogers still stand

Considering they (Major Canadian Telecoms) are all gigantic cunts? I agree.

Once had a customer service guy get mad at me because I "was paying too much for my plan" while offering me either: shittier plans, or more expensive plans.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I got one more:

Trade in Star Citizen:

Apparently first you will figure out a route. You can also buy a magical jump point coordinate from another player somehow as well to help you. You will know this player has this jump coordinate you need because you're just Capt Reynolds.

You'll buy your cargo.

You'll wait for your cargo to be delivered to your landing pad. No idea how long this will take.

You will begin loading your cargo, by hand, piece by piece, in a Tetris-game fashion until you have loaded everything. Time unknown for this. Assume you bought 20 tons of cow balls. A few boxes were opened and you rifled through raw cow balls to ensure one of these boxes did not have a stow away hiding inside it ready to rape you the moment you took off.

You now lash down the cargo so it doesn't bounce all over like jiggle physics for female characters (of course they'll be in by now!) during your flight.

You get in your ship cockpit and begin preflight. It takes a few minutes.

You request takeoff clearance from the local air traffic controller, who is another player, because this gameplay also exists.

You take off.

You spend ... hours? In flight to your secret jump point.

You play pool with your other player crew members.

You soak in your hot tub.

You mix a drink.

You replace some blown circuits in your ships narrow crawl spaces.

You put on a rare movie you got from a remote location to increase morale.

You watch a news segment made from another player in their news van space ship while they cover a distant war.

You jump in the secret point and emerge to whatever.

You fly longer.

Finally you get to your place.

You request docking clearance but have to wait an hour because other players are here with cow balls too, because the system is only dynamic within +-10% of original costs and this run was on the wiki.

You land.

You go out and go wait in line to talk to the merchant. Finally you get to talk and haggle and sell your stuff. You made a profit!

You return to your ship and unbelted everything and begin unloading your cow balls one box at a time playing Tetris again to load it from your ship to the new waiting truck.

You are now complete.

This is my take on how trading will work according to what they've told us it will be like. :shrug:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

This is another great one. It's loving raining tonight.

"Continue to communicate"??? Seriously???

Communicate what? Lies? Nothing they say is truthful. Their open communication is a buzzword for "marketing approach". It's not open at all.

Find 4 backers who know how mining will work and all agree.

Find 4 who know exactly how trading will work.

Find 3 who agree how LTI will function.

Find 2 who know how much ships will cost for in game money.

gently caress: find 2 who know what will be in 3.0 guaranteed and have them back it up by giving posts where they said exactly what was in the previous releases as well; because CIG is going to tell you "it's all ready to go!!!" Until 19 hours before hand when suddenly everything changes and it turns out they were nowhere near anything at all and knew the whole time.

If you can't do the above (don't even worry about the 3.0 thing), consider to yourself how much of Chris Roberts dick you're currently choking on and consider also pulling your mouth off of it long enough to recover your oxygen meter and realize your open development is a loving lie.

You don't know what's being worked on.

You don't know what's coming or when.

You don't know how basic gameplay is even going to function.

gently caress you if you use the term "open development" or "communication" in relation to CIG or Star Citizen and you don't really mean "marketing and lies".

It's late and I'm tired. My rant is over! :shobon:

I have been saying this on Reddit for a good long while. To what is, in effect, a digital wall. And, for anyone who HAS any experience with software development, sales/marketing is exactly the LAST loving people (and I use that term lightly) you want to listen to. They are most worried about making their quotas, not intelligently matching products to users.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

:smithicide:

Humility, is that you?

no it's hymen_destroyer :colbert:

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016

:(

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That's what you get for trying to leech off the F42 offices when they're uploading the latest build

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

The bearded lady on the left looks like shes begging, the guy on the right looks like he's about to start beating the lady. :shrug:

Do "goonies" have a different version of SomethingAwful we can register on? Wait, are we goons or goonies? I forget.

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

That's what you get for trying to leech off the F42 offices when they're uploading the latest build

Could be fasterif ou bought more jpgs, friend.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

I waited until they started actually enforcing upload speeds as diligently as they do download speeds. I used to get this. :D

(For the Swedish-challenged: “ta emot” = receive; “skicka” = send.)

That was some s(k)icka upload speed.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:eyepop:

Also by what loving standard is that an "A-" :lol:

e: "Faster than 81% of Australia" :roflolmao:

I hope that's by area and not population

I'd kill for that connection.

Edit:

Tarquinn posted:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Or this one.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 12, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Quavers posted:

Here's a good start, and about half of the comments in the thread:

This stupid motherfuckers are never going to wake up. Never. They will go to their graves, decades after Chris has passed, expecting the game to appear.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So I don't have the worst speed.

:feelsgood:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sillybones posted:

I'd kill for that connection.

Edit:

Or this one.

Well either life's very cheap where you're around or I wanna see your numbers

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tarquinn posted:

So I don't have the worst speed.

:feelsgood:

I don't have the best speed :smith:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

The Titanic posted:

Same.

Also, Carmack is irrelevant and a shill. So says the cultists. Hear Hear.

The Titanic posted:

You now lash down the cargo so it doesn't bounce all over like jiggle physics for female characters (of course they'll be in by now!) during your flight.

In an MMO. This sounds reasonable to Chris Roberts.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 12, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Well either life's very cheap where you're around or I wanna see your numbers

I get half of that lesser one, max. It's okay, I only pay ~$80 a month for it. Basically a steal. It has a very attractive data limit.

gently caress this place. gently caress everything. gently caress Trump. gently caress Star Citizen. gently caress work. gently caress bitches.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Seriously, something happen with this stupid game already. Where is tickle porn and secret horses and swedish mafia and public meltdowns.

Now it is just a few retards and an inexplicable number of Germans holding this scam up.

Show me a shootout with the feds and that Ben's weight is actually made up of an internal parasitic twin that steals all his nutrients and energy.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Samizdata posted:

Stimipens, anyone? To be later followed by Sleepipens so you can use your bunks.

I wish they'd stop keeping the Stimipens next to the Stimpens, those things always give me the worst pain tripling every second.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
For all these ping tests, I think holy poo poo, why such poor performance in such large cities in the US? These are like million-plus people metropolises, you'd think service would be outstanding.

Then I take it and get 11.5mb/s down, 2.39mb/s up with 22ms ping in rainy You must have a platinum account to doxx this user's location!

e: I get the non-competitive thing that the telecom cartels do with each other regionally- but what a complete loving failure of capitalism- the whole point is that these assholes are supposed to compete with each other to provide service at a lower cost to us. Let business race to the bottom for a change.

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 12, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is. The. Game. Out. Yet. ?.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Paladinus posted:

Is. The. Game. Out. Yet. ?.

Yes. And. It. Is. Gr.Ea.T. !. I. Recom.Mend.The.Co.Mple..Tion...I.S..T.Pack..A.Ge.