Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Relin posted:

I finally had a moment where I had to stop after getting too frustrated. The enemy layout on "The Fallen Onmyo Mages" is such a loving slog.

"The Fallen Onmyo Mages" is a loving nightmare. I think I spent like a loving hour or two on it because I was so drunk and kept getting turned around. Also the first time I tried to do it I somehow accidentally selected the main mission again.

the first bosses thrown balls can be easily dodge, you just have to dodge after he throws. If you dodge before, he'll just re-aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Also I was pleasantly surprised that the cave doesn't despawn the yokai and Cyclops when you kill them in the cave before her. Think I'm gonna murder all them and try and snag a few levels before I battle her again.

I believe the yokai who are already spawned and patrolling around will respawn like regular enemies. The ones who only spawn when you walk into their grey cloud don't respawn after you've killed them.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Some of you guys mentioned that spears make the game easier. I did my entire NG run with axes 'cause they felt like Souls' Greatswords, but decided to give a spear a try during NG+ since I had decent stats for them. Instantly see what everyone meant. Against human enemies this poo poo just feels broken. Even NG+ dev revenants are trivialized.

katkillad2 posted:

I'm 2/3rd's through the game according to the mission total, I don't want it to end :smith:.

It's actually a little longer than the mission total would have you think. Also, unlike From games, the NG+/post-game experience is really good.

Snak posted:

the first bosses thrown balls can be easily dodge, you just have to dodge after he throws. If you dodge before, he'll just re-aim.

Not unless he is different in NG+. The balls will literally change trajectory, to the point of reversing in air.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 12, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What are the annoying zombie guys who tackle and puke poison on you called I hate those fuckers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They are called fuckers.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

veni veni veni posted:

They are called fuckers.

Is that a direct translation

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Frankston posted:

I believe the yokai who are already spawned and patrolling around will respawn like regular enemies. The ones who only spawn when you walk into their grey cloud don't respawn after you've killed them.

This is accurate. They are more explicit non respawning minibosses then From games. With the added tension of walk 3 feet from a mystery tough enemy.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

You can definitely dodge the thrown balls, I never ran from them the whole fight.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It's just an extremely late dodge. You have to wait until the instant it leaves his hand because he can defy physics and throw through his own body backwards.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

iframes are at the start of the dodge. Gotta dodge everything last second. If you want to dodge through it.

Low stance helps. Agility helps.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Once you've beat this game could you, in theory, new game + it with a friend full co-op style ?

Yes, since NG+ is just a toggle for the missions you've already cleared.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ng+ change anything up or is it exactly the same with bigger numbers.

I miss DS2s amazing ng+ surprises.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

ng+ change anything up or is it exactly the same with bigger numbers.

I miss DS2s amazing ng+ surprises.

New loot, some remixed boss encounters, and I've heard different enemy placements in the missions.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
And you can play with the cat

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
They're called Dwellers; beating one to death with your bare hands not only feels amazingly satisfying but will also net you a title and some prestige points

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
There's a point where unarmed becomes almost stronger than any other build, it's ridiculous.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Byolante posted:

For the life of me I can't kill onrikyo (the first boss). I completed all the dark souls games and bloodborne but this seems a fridge too far

What part of him is giving you trouble exactly?

When he's chained he tends to smack you with the balls and spin around if you get behind him, he's quite slow when he's doing this and dodging is not really that hard, the tell is huge from when he swings to when it actually connects and his spin is so slow that even if he guard breaks you he can't follow up.

When he breaks free of the chains then he starts hunting you down a bit more, this is the point you wanna get a hit or two in and back off, especially if gets behind you cause his counter attack for people behind him is really fast, his dangerous move is when he sorta flails left and right then does a spin and lands on the ground, the body splash can one shot, but the tell for the attack is pretty obvious and it doesn't track either so just keep an eye on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42w9_0_v0_g

This is from the beta and how I managed to take him down after tons of tries like the description says, its about as safe as you can get, give it a try.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

There's a point where unarmed becomes almost stronger than any other build, it's ridiculous.

What's it scale with?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

They're called Dwellers; beating one to death with your bare hands not only feels amazingly satisfying but will also net you a title and some prestige points

I'm gonna beat them all down and kick them off cliff

Also hey I almost got knocked off a cliff by those loving bats and William does the same "Whoah whoahh!" when he's about to fall. I didn't fall THAT time I used my learning to dash forward

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm sort of lost in Silver mine Writhes. I cleared everything out afaik, and I killed the rolling bone wheel that is guarding the blower. There is a door at the bottom that seems like the way to go. It I can't find a key for it. The upper door seemed pointless and brought me back to an earlier part of the level but serves no use as a shortcut either.

Edit: never mind I'm an idiot.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Strength, but the real virtue is carnage talismans + the barehanded ones. Punches hit for like 1500 at level 60, it's ridiculous.

The parry is more useful only because it's generally faster.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm sort of lost in Silver mine Writhes. I cleared everything out afaik, and I killed the rolling bone wheel that is guarding the blower. There is a door at the bottom that seems like the way to go. It I can't find a key for it. The upper door seemed pointless and brought me back to an earlier part of the level but serves no use as a shortcut either.

Edit: never mind I'm an idiot.

There's a corpse you need to tag. An explosive thing and a skeleton is right beside it.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Strength, but the real virtue is carnage talismans + the barehanded ones. Punches hit for like 1500 at level 60, it's ridiculous.

The parry is more useful only because it's generally faster.

What's the duration on those like? I thought I remember it being somewhat lackluster in the beta.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Seriously watch this it's loving stupid how much damage it does

https://youtu.be/uMujKhRE9ys

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Truly a master. :golfclap:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What was there that you got for finishing the second and third beta tests? I completely didn't realize there was two more to play. :saddowns:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

fadam posted:

Giant Centipede is the easiest boss in the game (so far for me anyway).

If you block his moving attack he'll go into this long animation where he like rears his head back and gets ready to spit acid and you can just run up and hit him a few times and roll away before the attack comes down. Just run around the pillar near the de-AIDSifer in the center of the screen and he'll never be able to hit you until you want him to.

You can also just plunging attack his segments because he moves slowly around things that you can climb a ladder and he'll go the long way around.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sloth talismans are basically cheating. Holy poo poo. Onmyo magic is easy mode. It's like playing ninja gaiden against dark souls 2 bosses.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So I never preordered the game but I still got that red armor set that says from preordering. I assume they gave it to everyone

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Count Bleck posted:

You can also just plunging attack his segments because he moves slowly around things that you can climb a ladder and he'll go the long way around.

I really enjoyed that fight with the kusarigama because you can get him all bunched up around himself and then just go to town hitting 8 different parts with the rapid burst attacks, I almost killed him in one try.

Except I fell in a hole

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

verbal enema posted:

So I never preordered the game but I still got that red armor set that says from preordering. I assume they gave it to everyone

You get it for buying within the first couple weeks, iirc

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dropkickpikachu posted:

You get it for buying within the first couple weeks, iirc

Nice

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do you beat Honda during his duel sub-mission? Is there any way to remove his Life regen once he casts it? There was no way I could keep up with it and it didn't look like it had a limited duration.

EDIT: Never mind, beat him the very next try. He never got a chance to cast the Life regen spell.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 12, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't beat the bat boss lol. The game was pretty ez up to her though and i'm having a blast. Might jsut reset the level and level up some more. suckss

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
There's armor for buying it near release? Is that by code or something?

For bat lady, if you time it right you can dodge straight through the paralysis blast. Once you get the timing right and learn the tell dodging towards her through it totally neutralizes the move. If you stay a few meters away her kick combo is easy to dodge, and the tornado pirouette can be ran from. If you have shuriken or are good with a bow, hitting her while airborne does heavy ki damage too.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 12, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Go to boons at the shrine. See if you have it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Snak posted:

Sloth talismans are basically cheating. Holy poo poo. Onmyo magic is easy mode. It's like playing ninja gaiden against dark souls 2 bosses.

There's no way sloth isn't gonna change at the first big patch or something, it's all over the place with people talking about it trivializing the entire game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Yodzilla posted:

Haha yyyyyyep. I think the answer might be to craft a high level set from scratch from a lighter weight tier. Still it really sucks and is a real weird decision.

This must definitely be the case. I lost 6% of my weight at the sacrifice of 7 toughness crafting current level old less weight gear and that was just for my chest armor. Seems like crafting might be way more important than I originally thought.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh wow I had been completely ignoring guardian spirits and didn't realize they gave you passive buffs. The bat spirit is totally my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Empress Brosephine posted:

I can't beat the bat boss lol. The game was pretty ez up to her though and i'm having a blast. Might jsut reset the level and level up some more. suckss
The first boss is a tutorial for large monster bosses (ala Asylum Demon, Cleric Beast) and the second boss is a tutorial for fast humanoid bosses (ala Gascoigne, Capra Demon). You will come across a lot of humanoid bosses that move quickly and use similar skills. The basic idea is the same, but the timing is tighter and you'll have to perform shorter combos.

Also the purple yokai pot throwable items can stun her, anti-paralysis gear/items help, and if you can dodge her projectiles entirely the fight isn't that bad. Focus on that, like just try not to get hit for as long as you can and ignore attacking 100%. At some point you'll be able to recognize openings because you won't be thinking about the timing of dodges as hard.