Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd asked before, but I could use more guidance: what the hell can I do to make Yuki Onna less of a bitch to fight? She's wrecking me pretty handily and I only have my two relatively weak onmyo fire talismans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alteisen posted:

What part of him is giving you trouble exactly?

When he's chained he tends to smack you with the balls and spin around if you get behind him, he's quite slow when he's doing this and dodging is not really that hard, the tell is huge from when he swings to when it actually connects and his spin is so slow that even if he guard breaks you he can't follow up.

When he breaks free of the chains then he starts hunting you down a bit more, this is the point you wanna get a hit or two in and back off, especially if gets behind you cause his counter attack for people behind him is really fast, his dangerous move is when he sorta flails left and right then does a spin and lands on the ground, the body splash can one shot, but the tell for the attack is pretty obvious and it doesn't track either so just keep an eye on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42w9_0_v0_g

This is from the beta and how I managed to take him down after tons of tries like the description says, its about as safe as you can get, give it a try.

Oh wow, he has a different throwing animation and the balls move way slower in that vid, was that how NG was too? When I fought him in NG+ he threw underhand and loving fast with almost no startup animation. When people were saying "just dodge late" I was like "there is no late... it's instant?" But seeing this the recommendation makes more sense.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd asked before, but I could use more guidance: what the hell can I do to make Yuki Onna less of a bitch to fight? She's wrecking me pretty handily and I only have my two relatively weak onmyo fire talismans.

Are you a magic build? If so, sloth talismans are the answer. Do you have a fire guardian spirit? Kato is super good against her. What I did is pop an extraction talisman and kill the guy and the ghost right before the boss so that I would go in with a full living weapon gauge.

Edit: i guess you're obviously not if you only have 2 talismans. Durrrr.

Edit 2: living weapon is still a pretty good bet. Without extraction talismans it's a bit more of a chore to get up. If you have the fire rat, he charges way faster than the fire dog.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 12, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zaphod42 posted:

Stay close to her so she does more of her melee attacks. Learn which are safer to dodge and which are safer to block, and when you can punish her and get hits in.

She's weak to water I think? Also use your living weapon.

Use needles and the ninja paralysis cure to prevent you from being frozen and getting murdered.

Mostly just takes practice to learn her tells, summon a buddy if you need help. There's a discord in the OP that has lots of friendly goons who will womp her good for you if you'd like. But respect if you try to go solo.

None of this is wrong at all, but I actually found baiting her distance attacks in the first half (sonic paralysis, psycho crusher) to be really easy.

Go in for a swipe or two, block if you must but she has one combo that really fucks you over even on block. Backdashing is best.

Patience and don't get greedy, basically.

Second half ( air sonic paralysis and air needles and air crush) are all super easy to dodge and punish.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Punching looks cool. But popping 3 buffs for ultra damage and not getting cool new weapons seems a boring way to play.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 13, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Onmyo Mage Veteran training I did the first half barehanded because I thought it didn't give me any weapons. Whoops.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Suzaku is my new favorite spirit. If your Amrita Gauge is full when your Life hits 0, it automatically activates Living Weapon and then gives you 1 Life back when it runs out. And if you reach critical Life, it auto-charges your Amrita Gauge.

That owns.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Suzaku is my new favorite spirit. If your Amrita Gauge is full when your Life hits 0, it automatically activates Living Weapon and then gives you 1 Life back when it runs out. And if you reach critical Life, it auto-charges your Amrita Gauge.

That owns.

That does sound amazing. I've got like 32 magic, but I'm starting to pump spirit now. I have 37 onmyo capacity. It's fuckin loller.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Punching looks cool. But popping 3 buffs for ultra damage and not getting cool new weapons seems a boring way to play.

Eh, it's smart to pop damage buffs for any class and movesets are the same for every weapon in a class? So unless you really like weapon skins, it's not really different.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, it's smart to pop damage buffs for any class and movesets are the same for every weapon in a class? So unless you really like weapon skins, it's not really different.

I pop buffs before a boss. But running through a level I don't need it. Hows punching unbufffed against mooks?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm really hoping DLC will add some more weapons, the ones we have for now are obviously good and robust enough, I just want some more to mix it up even more, give me a kanabo and some weird stuff.

I mean we're getting a DLC with Masamune Date, dual guns when Team Ninja :madmax:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Yardbomb posted:

I'm really hoping DLC will add some more weapons, the ones we have for now are obviously good and robust enough, I just want some more to mix it up even more, give me a kanabo and some weird stuff.

I mean we're getting a DLC with Masamune Date, dual guns when Team Ninja :madmax:

They're already in the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So is there a way to get the Yatagarasu armor other than farming the Immortal Flame mission? The only guide I can find says most of the parts are drops from the boss of that mission and I don't really want to run the whole mission over and over to get it, even though it looks rad as gently caress.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It really annoys me that every stat specifically lists which weapon it works with except the kusarigama. I know it's Dex, but why not just say it.

Also, a lot of armor has the weight listed in parenthesis next to the name, but some of them don't have anything. If they don't have a listing is the armor considered some sort of different class? And besides the Agility rating is there any difference in wearing different armor? Heavy armor actually increases your survivability by a crazy amount, and since iframes don't work the same way it really doesn't seem like Light armor is worth it, even with a Skill/Dex build. I'll get two-shot by Yokai if I mess up a dodge in light armor, but with heavy armor I can tank hits and block and still dodge.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Holy poo poo the Sekigahara mission is my favorite so far. Mission/story spoiler: Sneaking behind enemy lines in the middle of a war and using the sneak talisman and axing everyone in the back was :black101:

I'm not sure I get the complaints about level design in this game. There's lots of variety, I've even got lost a few times and that's never happened in Dark Souls.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Harrow posted:

So is there a way to get the Yatagarasu armor other than farming the Immortal Flame mission? The only guide I can find says most of the parts are drops from the boss of that mission and I don't really want to run the whole mission over and over to get it, even though it looks rad as gently caress.

Do the cave submission that unlocks after that mission.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It really annoys me that every stat specifically lists which weapon it works with except the kusarigama. I know it's Dex, but why not just say it.

Also, a lot of armor has the weight listed in parenthesis next to the name, but some of them don't have anything. If they don't have a listing is the armor considered some sort of different class? And besides the Agility rating is there any difference in wearing different armor? Heavy armor actually increases your survivability by a crazy amount, and since iframes don't work the same way it really doesn't seem like Light armor is worth it, even with a Skill/Dex build. I'll get two-shot by Yokai if I mess up a dodge in light armor, but with heavy armor I can tank hits and block and still dodge.

This game's menus are unfortunately very bad.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bugblatter posted:

Oh wow, he has a different throwing animation and the balls move way slower in that vid, was that how NG was too? When I fought him in NG+ he threw underhand and loving fast with almost no startup animation. When people were saying "just dodge late" I was like "there is no late... it's instant?" But seeing this the recommendation makes more sense.

Na that was during the beta, I'm doing 2 side by side playthrough so its gonna be awhile before I hit new game+

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Belzac posted:

They're already in the game.

Gonna need to know where this is at.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm in chapter 5 now and a few observations:

1) The level with the castle on fire is bizarrely ugly and barren and looks like it's from a game made a decade ago.

2) I have no loving idea who anyone is any more, who all these armies and generals are, and why anyone is fighting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yodzilla posted:

I'm in chapter 5 now and a few observations:

1) The level with the castle on fire is bizarrely ugly and barren and looks like it's from a game made a decade ago.

2) I have no loving idea who anyone is any more, who all these armies and generals are, and why anyone is fighting.

Yeah that exact level is where I straight up just gave up on following the plot. I have no idea who the boss is. The only thing I actually know is Kelly has William's spirit still and he wants to use the amrita to do fuckin I don't even know anymore I don't think they even said.

edit: It also is where the level design and enemy placement reaches peak awful. Definitely the low point of the game for me for multiple reasons.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengoku_period#Unification

I haven't played this game (no PS4), but from spoiling myself on various things I think this is basically required reading to understand the plot. The game seems to assume a level of historical knowledge that most Westerners lack.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Umibozu was a poo poo and killed me more than any other boss, like 10 times. Sometimes his instadeath laser must didn't have a tell.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

Holy poo poo the Sekigahara mission is my favorite so far. Mission/story spoiler: Sneaking behind enemy lines in the middle of a war and using the sneak talisman and axing everyone in the back was :black101:

I'm not sure I get the complaints about level design in this game. There's lots of variety, I've even got lost a few times and that's never happened in Dark Souls.

That was my favorite level in the game by far. A totally different sort of map for a Soulslike, but it worked incredibly well with the mechanics. Choosing how to navigate through the different hazards was awesome. There are several different paths through it, all formed by enemy placement rather than geometry. It's kind of what From was going for with Ariandel, but executed far better.

I do think most of the levels rank are a hair less below average (Non DS2) Souls map, but it also never has the lows of Souls worst areas either. Also, a lot of Nioh maps are recreations of real-world locations, which is both very cool and somewhat limiting.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I get the impression that it's a sort of common knowledge history thing in Japan. Similar to that Assassin's Creed game about the Revolution (but not terrible).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been using Guardian Spirits to keep everyone straight so far. And if they ain't got a spirit they ain't poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I get the impression that it's a sort of common knowledge history thing in Japan. Similar to that Assassin's Creed game about the Revolution (but not terrible).

There are so many times in this game where characters have mentioned something that happened in real life historically and I've been like "ahhhh!" and then 2 minutes later it is completely gone from my head. Initially I was following it pretty well and then they started talking about the military unification of Japan inbetween me running around killing demons and I just was like :confused:

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I just found a NPC revenent named RebootRygar. :3:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Yeah essentially. You're a dude searching for a McGuffin, and the hunt takes you to both every famous person and every notable event from the era, and the levels include detailed recreations of famous landmarks. Just remove the future scifi bits and replace them with a heavy dose of folklore.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
H95M-EGNK-LAC8

Amazon preorder code if anyone wants it. They sent me another one for some reason.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

Umibozu was a poo poo and killed me more than any other boss, like 10 times. Sometimes his instadeath laser must didn't have a tell.

That boss upsets me as well because if you melee him there's a good 1/10 chance of you suddenly plunge attacking right off the edge of the arena. His hitbox will just straight up vanish at random to allow you to careen to your death.

I absolutely loathe that stage, it is more frustrating than just about anything in Dark Souls, except MAYBE the original version of the Shrine of Amana.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
When I beat Umi-Bozu I got a little lucky on his deathbeam (only fired twice) but I didn't have too much trouble just by treating him like the mini-bozus. Hit his glowy spots after an attack and just throw kayaku-dama at him when you can't. Didn't seem so bad after Nue and Muneshige.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I've played enough Nobunaga's Ambition, Samurai Warriors and so on to have this stuff just burned into my brain by now.

Every time another history duder shows up I get all :allears:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

When an item piece or Set Bonus says something like "Ki Damage" or "Skill Damage", does that just mean a bonus to those types of damage? IE "Ki Damage" would mean you do additional Ki Damage to an opponent, and "Skill Damage" means you do additional damage based on your Skill based weapons?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

Do the cave submission that unlocks after that mission.

Hell yes, thanks

You can tell what class an armor is by its stat requirements. Body/Skill is light, Body/Strength is medium, Strength/Stamina is heavy.

There's some differences in damage reduction between the armor classes. The difference between light and heavy is noticeable, but the difference between light and medium is pretty small.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When an item piece or Set Bonus says something like "Ki Damage" or "Skill Damage", does that just mean a bonus to those types of damage? IE "Ki Damage" would mean you do additional Ki Damage to an opponent, and "Skill Damage" means you do additional damage based on your Skill based weapons?

Ki damage means you do more Ki damage to opponents. Skill damage means damage from skills, like Iai Quickdraw or Spearfall.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

When I beat Umi-Bozu I got a little lucky on his deathbeam (only fired twice) but I didn't have too much trouble just by treating him like the mini-bozus. Hit his glowy spots after an attack and just throw kayaku-dama at him when you can't. Didn't seem so bad after Nue and Muneshige.

I have the hardest loving time getting the dodge timing down for his final phase. Like, it seems like it should be easy to dodge the big slam, but he always manages to clip me with the hitbox as I try to zip out. I'm clearly reacting to the wrong tell, but it's kind of hard to do that, especially if you end up dodging off the loving goddamn ledge because you can't see that there's a hole there because the level is dark as poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That boss upsets me as well because if you melee him there's a good 1/10 chance of you suddenly plunge attacking right off the edge of the arena. His hitbox will just straight up vanish at random to allow you to careen to your death.

I absolutely loathe that stage, it is more frustrating than just about anything in Dark Souls, except MAYBE the original version of the Shrine of Amana.

:same:

At least that boss taught me to rapidly switch targets with the right stick

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

Hell yes, thanks

You can tell what class an armor is by its stat requirements. Body/Skill is light, Body/Strength is medium, Strength/Stamina is heavy.

There's some differences in damage reduction between the armor classes. The difference between light and heavy is noticeable, but the difference between light and medium is pretty small.

To the bottom left of the armor's picture there are also three little vertical pips that fill in to show what class an armor is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:same:

At least that boss taught me to rapidly switch targets with the right stick

If you light the torches theres no extra enemies.