Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Mirthless posted:

...I don't need to trust you. I am going off information provided by people much more qualified to make that judgement call. Your eyeballs (and uneducated opinion) cannot accurately determine whether or not somebody is fat with accuracy.

Sure, she could lose weight and still be at a healthy weight, but if she doesn't want to, she shouldn't have to, and it's unreasonable to expect somebody to lose weight - or call them fat - when they are at a healthy weight, or within a spitting distance of it.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Moridin920 posted:

my morning red bull + nutbar

This is a nightmare combination of words right here

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
And now, back to hot dogs. Ketchup on them, yes or no?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Is there literally any subject on earth this thread won't argue about

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm gonna stick to my guns and fat shame for a bit, thanks though

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This thread would be so much better with like 1/3 of the Mirthless posts.

This is like the fourth loving time he's gone Full Retard about BMI. Nobody cares. Post stories, you greasy loving loon.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

congratulations, pedants, it took hundreds of pages and a 50:1 white noise to content ratio but you finally made the jerry springer thread unreadable

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
for the standard 'dog and bun and nothing else' hot dog I like me a little ketchup, some deli mustard, and some relish

if it is like a brat or something then some deli mustard and relish but no ketchup

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm told I carry it well (I'm also really tall where the numbers don't work as well) but like I know I got a doughy belly there aint no lying about it. Really the only people I hear goin on about how bmi is just for averages and such and doesn't apply to individuals are themselves fatties.

She's in the "overweight" category which is considered a "moderate health risk". Would need to lose 10 pounds at least to be at the "upper end of normal".

Yeah maybe, my stomach is like 46 inches around right now :downs:

I'll admit I don't know much about the science side but if it's ten pounds then it could very easily be more distributed in her chest/thighs but who knows. I think it's really unhealthy when it's around your midsection because of your organs or something? Again, I can't even claim to be well versed but when I originally started getting into weightlifting and cardio several years ago it was really emphasized to forget BMI and focus on W2H and inches over a number on the scale.:shrug:

E: but I don't mean to carry on with a detail of it ticks people off so feel free to just ignore this byeeeee

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Psycho Society posted:

Is there literally any subject on earth this thread won't argue about

We have multiple posters ITT who are from the fishmech school of posting and simply cannot let an argument drop or concede a point. Thus, endless derails.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zakharov posted:

As a warning to all who say yes, I will kill you where you stand.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

zakharov posted:

We have multiple posters ITT who are from the fishmech school of posting and simply cannot let an argument drop or concede a point. Thus, endless derails.

Aw, I enjoy reading other people's thoughts on the actual content and stuff though. Not an overwhelming amount but that's when I just start scrolling until I see a story posted. Is this just me?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
People who eat mayo on hot dogs are worse than Nazis.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Aw, I enjoy reading other people's thoughts on the actual content and stuff though. Not an overwhelming amount but that's when I just start scrolling until I see a story posted. Is this just me?

The problem is that every time I make more than two posts in a thread now it instantly creates a derail because we have people who follow this thread specifically to comment on my posting

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Avocados have been super cheap lately so I put slices on my hotdogs.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Yeah, it's not the stories mostly, it's what the poster here think about them (and accidentally reveal about themselves)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The problem is that it quickly veers away from the content of the stories and into endless arguments about tangentially related topics and Mirthless' weird personal life. I confess to being part of the problem.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Just talking about a thing is normal but I think this thread predictably leaves that point far behind

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just a word about eugenics, because it is a touchy subject,

This is a genetic defect of fibrillin, which for complicated reasons makes people taller and thinner than they would be otherwise. It can also cause cardiovascular problems, so people with it are discouraged from heavy exercise, so these are not the result of intense workouts, they naturally tend to look this way (or more so than they would without it). It is a dominant genetic trait.

It is also variably expressive. So a lot of people do not know they have it and just look a little extra tall and extra thin and their heart is fine. Or they might get it really bad and come out like this:

There are upsides and downsides, and it's impossible to predict the outcome even if they know their children will inherit it. Also, it's probable Abraham Lincoln had it, and Osama bin Laden did, so whether you love or hate America, it's been influential to the furtherance of your worldview.

I don't get why a self-admitted miserable alcoholic gets to decide that these people should be sterilized by the state. What, just so you can wipe out beautiful Amazons? for shame.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

zakharov posted:

The problem is that it quickly veers away from the content of the stories and into endless arguments about tangentially related topics and Mirthless' weird personal life. I confess to being part of the problem.

at least you're interesting enough to post about something other than me. :)

tbh I don't get how this poo poo is a derail half the time. What are we supposed to be discussing on these????

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Me [36F] with my Partner, [36M] 7 years, is acting even more superior than before since starting new hobby and its driving me crazy

quote:

I really do feel awful thinking this way, but he's really starting to drive me crazy. My SO David has recently taken up a new hobby. It's pretty specific so for this posts sake, lets say it's Karate.... it's not, but we have Reddit friends.

This is something he has wanted to do for many years and finally is in the position to take expensive lessons. The problem is, he has now become obsessed with this and will bring it up at any given opportunity. Everything he does can somehow be related to Karate. Every movie we watch is about karate, when he drives, he will take a detour to see who's at the karate club, every youtube video he watches while I'm there he turns his computer to me so I am obliged to watch it too... truth is, I think it's great he is doing this hobby, but he's becoming insufferable. I see him 2-3 times a week and any conversation has karate worked into it. He will tell me "Oh my god, Joe Blow just turned 93" I'll then say, who is that and it will be some obscure Karate expert.... It's like that Simpsons episode where the kids are driving Mrs Krabapple mad with their Yo-Yo's.

On top of that, I feel he is so proud of himself for doing this that he really feels so much better than us average non-karate mortals.

I do my best to ignore it, I know he's excited about finally doing this, but it's incredibly annoying. Our relationship is really suffering because he also can now find fault in everything I do. I stay at his house and help him with housework but every single time he will point out how I've filled the mop bucket at the wrong sink, he usually does it in the laundry, or I've not used an extension cord when vacuuming like he does. I pack the dishwasher, he repacks it. I got kind of fed up with his veiled criticisms so stopped doing it when I visited because I never got any acknowledgment or thanks, and all that happened was his house got dirty so I started doing it again. I probably shouldn't have, but I like to be helpful and I see this as a very positive way I can help him. This has gone on for about 2 years, since he moved in there and started Karate. I think part of it is also that he is so protective of his house and things that he cannot stand anyone touching them.

He would rather be at his house, which is understandable, people often prefer their own homes, I prefer to be at mine, but is making me feel like I'm burdening him by being there. I try to help out as much as I can. It seems like he manipulates the conversation so he can include something that is an example of how much better he is than me. Last week we were at his house and when it came to the subject of dinner he said he had prepared something but I wouldn't like it because it would be way too hot for me. I don't like chilli. So he proceeds to make another dish and puts chilli in mine because he feels it improves the taste. He then offers me a spoonfull of ground chilli and when I refuse (of course I am going to) he makes a big deal about eating it. I find it condescending. It's like he cannot simply accept that people do things differently and have different tastes and likes.

I feel like I'm being petty with these complaints. Am I being over sensitive?

tl;dr: My SO is obsessed with a new hobby and is becoming condescending and it's wearing me out. Am I being unfair?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Mirthless posted:

The problem is that every time I make more than two posts in a thread now it instantly creates a derail because we have people who follow this thread specifically to comment on my posting

Mirthless, no. I'm trying to be diplomatic here, but it's because sometimes (not always) it seriously comes across like you think you're the authority on what you're commenting on, not just giving input. It just has happened enough that people will call on it. Whether they care enough to do that or not is their problem.

I honestly tend to not even really look at who's post I'm even reading because I'm on mobile with avatars off

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mirthless, no. I'm trying to be diplomatic here, but it's because sometimes (not always) it seriously comes across like you think you're the authority on what you're commenting on, not just giving input. It just has happened enough that people will call on it. Whether they care enough to do that or not is there problem.

I honestly tend to not even really look at who's post I'm even reading because I'm on mobile with avatars off

I don't try to come off as an authority, I make a comment on something and somebody takes it that way. I make statements of my opinions, I might argue those opinions, but I don't declare they're right automatically and I wish you guys would knock it off with the assumptions. :\

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

What is the hobby? It's video games right?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
welcome to the club, mirthless

:getin:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ArbitraryC posted:

I know this is several pages ago because of a mirth derail but lol this is fat fat and we should be ashamed as a country to be calling it normal.

Oh good another derail. Thanks for that.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

LethalGeek posted:

Me [36F] with my Partner, [36M] 7 years, is acting even more superior than before since starting new hobby and its driving me crazy

partner of 7 years, they're both 36, and they live in different houses?????

lady, you guys don't even like each other. Just break up!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Mirthless posted:

Don't flatter yourself; it's actually because you say such stupid poo poo.

Arguing that a woman isn't overweight because she's only slightly overweight according to the metric you're using is straight up idiocy.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Mirthless posted:

I don't try to come off as an authority, I make a comment on something and somebody takes it that way. I make statements of my opinions, I might argue those opinions, but I don't declare they're right automatically and I wish you guys would knock it off with the assumptions. :\

:ok:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

post ur pics if you're gonna do fatchat

5'4" and 155lbs is fat

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol Pick, you tease

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LethalGeek posted:

"non-karate mortal" pro tier username

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

zakharov posted:

No. Ketchup goes on nothing because it's disgusting tomato frosting.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Pick posted:

5'4" and 155lbs is fat

http://height-weight-chart.com/504-160.html

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Pick posted:

5'4" and 155lbs is fat

That's a sexy face, ugh

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

i think you missed what was going on there and why that's the post i was responding to

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Tomatos are amazing and so is everything that comes from them. gently caress off!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

No. Ketchup goes on nothing because it's disgusting tomato frosting.

Ketchup with no added sugar is good :colbert:.

I agree on ketchup with added sugar, which is in the same food group as carrot cake and candied yams.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Ketchup on spaghetti :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Barbecue sauce is like 70% sugar these days :chloe: